Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Agent Abe Caprine

Still peacocking your mom.
kiwifarms.net
Fucking why? Windows 10 is fine as it is (provided you configure it right) and it doesnt need any more globohomo (((modernization))). They already changed too much going from Windows 7 to 10 and now they wanna change more.
Shareholders like shiny. Microsoft must appease them and make new shiny. Shareholders are basically less intelligent crows.

Falcos_Commisar

kiwifarms.net
Windows 10 finds a way to piss me off every day.

Whether it's the fact it's spyware, or the fact it's bloated, or the useless features I never use, or the long time it takes to restart or shut my PC down.

My dad's old Windows XP laptop from 2005 shuts down quicker than my rig I built last year.
Every internet connected device is spyware now. Even the autist favorite linux is getting big into telemetry now.

View attachment 1856719
It's absurd to me that anyone tolerates Windows, much less that it has the majority of the market. Windows has not been decent since XP, call me when they make it free software and it looks like this again:
View attachment 1856720
In the mean time I'll continue being happy on Ubuntu with my wobbly windows and 3D effects.

$120 for a lifetime OS license isn't bad at all. Hell, Windows can be easily had for under $100 all day.

I've used the same Win key since 2010 across 3 different PCs.

A quick look at Wikipedia regarding that says as of May 2020 they considered returning to limux again.

Shady stuff for sure though.
Not at all. Plus, I doubt the city of Munich likes traveling forums for tech support help 😅

murdered meat bag

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
ive never had a problwm with updates or windows 10.

only gripe is that the search function on the taskbar is bad at searching for things on the pc. if i type "storage" for storage space it will give web hits for storage space.

"stora" generates storage spaces on the pc.

its stupid.

usb devices that shouldn't powersave will turn off, displays wont turnoff despite being correct in the display and power settings.

ita probably all user settings.

also the mandatory microsoft account to boot new computers is pretty gay, that was a recent addition, used to be you could skip and use local from the start.

Falcos_Commisar

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1857583
Here's a brain teaser... what's the difference between having a computer in the 90's and having a computer now?

The answer is that back then, owning a computer was more of a luxury thing rather than something that's a necessity in every household (kinda like what TV's were back in the 1920's). At most, if you were in school you would only see those old Macintosh computers that played those big-ass floppy discs, otherwise they were mostly used in businesses, if that, and didn't have a GUI.

As such, the people that mostly used computers were nerds/techy people that were willing to learn about them and how they work, especially once shit like Windows 95 hit the scene and became the hottest shit since sliced bread. The biggest difference between then and now is control. Windows XP was the last OS by Microsoft in which you could customize your computer experience how ever you wanted, including getting rid of unwanted bloat. Back then computers came with a fuck-ton of installation discs, half of them drivers, and the other half optional software that came pre-bundled with the computer when you first bought it. So theoretically you could wipe the hard drive, only install the important drivers (like sound and video), and have a pleasant experience. Even though the OS was by Microsoft, YOU still had control of how you experienced it and no one gave a shit.

Windows 7 (and Vista to an extent) was the first OS in which shit REALLY started getting stupid. Nevermind the fact that you needed a fucking walkthrough on how to de-bloat the damn thing in the first place...
View attachment 1857635
... but any change you could potentially make would throw a pop-up asking "ARE YOU SURE?"... for literally EVERYTHING. I'd like to give normalfags back in the 90's the benefit of the doubt and say that they were a little smarter than your average braindead NPC of today. But now because of Win7 pulling this shit, it makes people start to second guess themselves... "oh, gee... maybe I really SHOULDN'T be doing all of these things, thanks Microsoft". So now you start to breed groups of people that believe that Microsoft has their own best interests at heart and leave their computer alone (unless you looked up how to enable the admin account and tell Win7 to go fuck itself). This is bad because now people aren't going to think for themselves when they have Microsoft to do the thinking for them. This creates laziness, ignorance, and just plain stupidity.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is just FLAT-OUT telling you that you're a stupid motherfucker that doesn't know any better, and that all its telemental shit is keeping an eye on you for your own protection and safety. It's literally taking away control of your computer experience by going "fuck you, this is how you will use the computer and you will like it". And of course, what has happened over the years when it comes to people and technology? The technology improves, yes, but people have gotten so fucking dumb about it that basic common sense shit just flies out the fucking window because they EXPECT the companies and corporations to fix their shit for them.

In a nutshell, Microsoft went from "Here's something fun we created just for you. Enjoy it however you want" to "This is OURS!!! You WILL use it how WE tell you to use it!!"
Sadly, most end users are fucking idiots who NEED mandatory updates to keep their systems secure. Win 10 Home is made for the 80-90% of barely computer literate consumers who use the PC for facebook, emails, online shopping and MS office..... That's it.

Want more? Get Win 10 Pro. Worried about telemetry, figure out what Pihole and a VPN are.

If we're being honest here, you could just run Windows XP and Windows 98 in a couple of virtual boxes and run every game that came out for PC up until around 2010 or so on even an entry level PC running Linux at this point. There's no point to getting rammed up the ass by Microsoft unless you play a lot of new games.
That's a massive PiTA and generally leads to GPU passthrough issues. Oh and 2010 was a DECADE AGO. If you think a 2011 game is new🤣

A better idea would 2 HDDs and an OS on each or a Win/Linux dual boot setup.

Take a look at Proton, Steam's compatibility layer for Linux. It's been working pretty well and it's easy to add 3rd party software to. If not, check out Wine and PlayOnLinux to see if they work.

Edit: Ninja'd by @SSF2T Old User
Another layer of BS to wade through. No thanks. This is why Links will perpetually be a joke to 97% of PC users, when shit doesn't work.... It REALLY doesn't work and you become your own tech support. Or you look on forums and get told be morbidly obese linus neckbeards to "git gud hurr durr"

Pee Cola

it's a real drink
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • Windows XP may be Microsoft's biggest-ever success. Windows Vista was a disaster.
Everybody forgets that prior to SP1, XP was complete dogshit. We're talking Windows Me level dogshit.

As for W10... I think I'll stick with my not-quite-kosher LTSC if it's all the same thanks, Microsoft.

Jump

k/i/w/i/f/a/r/m/e/r
kiwifarms.net
As long as BRAVE,TOR,vlc, etc keep supporting W7 i really have no reason to upgrade. I have to much old equipment that will never get driver updates or uses rs232. 16gig ram and ssd fooking flies with w7pro. I don't game at all.

It's absurd to me that anyone tolerates Windows, much less that it has the majority of the market. Windows has not been decent since XP, call me when they make it free software and it looks like this again:
The UI scaling in Windows in fantastic, pretty close to perfection. That is something that always drives me mad in Linux.

Can't wait for a file explorer for retards. I'm sure they'll remove features and refuse to add tabs
Their experiment with tabs was interesting, yet awful. They added tabs to every window instead of just adding them to the file explorer. Cool idea, terrible in practice.

I will never take it as purely a one note visual overhaul from Microsoft, given their definition of "optional upgrade".
You can always use the LTSC version and give yourself a 2-3 year reprieve from whatever changes they decide on.

Now your PC will look and feel just like that Windows phone nobody bought.

Aren't you exited?
Oof, right in the lumia.

Cedric_Eff

It's the Devil's playground!
kiwifarms.net

The results are from an older test but the last test submission was July 2019 for Wine 4 (current version is Wine 5). Seems to be improving performance with each new Wine version
View attachment 1857583
Here's a brain teaser... what's the difference between having a computer in the 90's and having a computer now?

The answer is that back then, owning a computer was more of a luxury thing rather than something that's a necessity in every household (kinda like what TV's were back in the 1920's). At most, if you were in school you would only see those old Macintosh computers that played those big-ass floppy discs, otherwise they were mostly used in businesses, if that, and didn't have a GUI.

As such, the people that mostly used computers were nerds/techy people that were willing to learn about them and how they work, especially once shit like Windows 95 hit the scene and became the hottest shit since sliced bread. The biggest difference between then and now is control. Windows XP was the last OS by Microsoft in which you could customize your computer experience how ever you wanted, including getting rid of unwanted bloat. Back then computers came with a fuck-ton of installation discs, half of them drivers, and the other half optional software that came pre-bundled with the computer when you first bought it. So theoretically you could wipe the hard drive, only install the important drivers (like sound and video), and have a pleasant experience. Even though the OS was by Microsoft, YOU still had control of how you experienced it and no one gave a shit.

Windows 7 (and Vista to an extent) was the first OS in which shit REALLY started getting stupid. Nevermind the fact that you needed a fucking walkthrough on how to de-bloat the damn thing in the first place...
View attachment 1857635
... but any change you could potentially make would throw a pop-up asking "ARE YOU SURE?"... for literally EVERYTHING. I'd like to give normalfags back in the 90's the benefit of the doubt and say that they were a little smarter than your average braindead NPC of today. But now because of Win7 pulling this shit, it makes people start to second guess themselves... "oh, gee... maybe I really SHOULDN'T be doing all of these things, thanks Microsoft". So now you start to breed groups of people that believe that Microsoft has their own best interests at heart and leave their computer alone (unless you looked up how to enable the admin account and tell Win7 to go fuck itself). This is bad because now people aren't going to think for themselves when they have Microsoft to do the thinking for them. This creates laziness, ignorance, and just plain stupidity.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is just FLAT-OUT telling you that you're a stupid motherfucker that doesn't know any better, and that all its telemental shit is keeping an eye on you for your own protection and safety. It's literally taking away control of your computer experience by going "fuck you, this is how you will use the computer and you will like it". And of course, what has happened over the years when it comes to people and technology? The technology improves, yes, but people have gotten so fucking dumb about it that basic common sense shit just flies out the fucking window because they EXPECT the companies and corporations to fix their shit for them.

In a nutshell, Microsoft went from "Here's something fun we created just for you. Enjoy it however you want" to "This is OURS!!! You WILL use it how WE tell you to use it!!"
I just wish the Japanese game devs didn’t call us stupid motherfuckers and contribute to Microsoft. Like Japanese PC game devs are like Uber faithful to Windows to a point where some of their games are just flat out dependent on Windows.

Ponchik

fake and gay
kiwifarms.net
Classic Shell still exists and last I checked, still works on Win10.
for posterity - classic shell stopped being supported by the original author like four fucking years ago and it's been developed as a community project named open shell ever since. it also doesn't touch file explorer unless you install the "classic explorer" plugin - if you want explorer to look exactly as it did in windows 7, oldnewexplorer works like a fucking dream

Turd Cow

Sir, would you like a jawbreaker
kiwifarms.net
How much will my computer get fucked up?
Fron what I heard depends on the game. A Forza game got borked on windows after an update. I don't really know actually. Hope most of them don't get borked.

Also, Windows copying Apple? Wow, how surprising.

northstar747

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The newest versions of Windows 10 LTSC have finally become a pretty decent replacement for it once you turn off all the spying it's possible to turn off and install Open Shell. And you get 10 years of support, which is seeming like a better and better idea to ride out the next wave of idiocy.
I learned about LTSC here, and bought a key off of ebay for 10 dollars.

Its great, simple tells me an update is ready but lets me decide when to run it.

Considered HARMful

kiwifarms.net
[exceptional sperging]
This essay you wrote has nothing to do with what I wrote. And just for the record, my boomer parents had no problem navigating windows systems since 3.1 and could sorta-kinda manage under MS-DOS as long as Norton Commander was available. All this in a country that was behind iron curtain.

The point stands: MS always designed their mainline OS for the normies. Don't blame me for your applying zoomer-tier understanding of normalfag instead of understanding that normiefaggotry evolves with time.

2/10 for the effort though.

Bat Dad

Do not cross the Bat Daaad!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The UI scaling in Windows in fantastic, pretty close to perfection. That is something that always drives me mad in Linux.
In the past year or so scaling has improved. I don't know which other distros make it convenient, but Linux Mint has added fractional scaling recently, and it is pretty good.

TFT-A9

Time for a crusade
kiwifarms.net
In the past year or so scaling has improved. I don't know which other distros make it convenient, but Linux Mint has added fractional scaling recently, and it is pretty good.
I like Mint but will likely eventually go to Debian Unstable because Mint is actually too retard-friendly and I find myself getting complacent with it.

Cedric_Eff

It's the Devil's playground!
kiwifarms.net
Big issue is that the Japanese market seems to have this dislike towards Linux as a whole. Seen as this big brained OS for weird NEETs.