Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

HumanHive

Human Behavior is Exceptional Behavior
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait for a file explorer for retards. I'm sure they'll remove features and refuse to add tabs
Man, file explorer with tabs...
That’s actually a great idea.

is Ubuntu basically the Windows of linux distributions? I am just wondering if it is considered like the super-normie linux operating system.

Isam

ἀνάπαυσις
kiwifarms.net
I just wish the Japanese game devs didn’t call us stupid motherfuckers and contribute to Microsoft. Like Japanese PC game devs are like Uber faithful to Windows to a point where some of their games are just flat out dependent on Windows.

Big issue is that the Japanese market seems to have this dislike towards Linux as a whole. Seen as this big brained OS for weird NEETs.
Counterpoint: fuck the Japanese, nobody cares what they think. Their choice of, and thoughts on, Operating Systems is irrelevant for the rest of civilization.

Dick Justice

If you say "normie" you are that which you condemn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd use Linux if I didn't use my PC mostly for games.
Win10 compatibility has become such a clusterfuck and *nix compatibility layers have become such a focal point that outside of cancer-tier DRM/spyware/rootkit infested games like fortnite, valorant, league, etc. *nix is actually easier for vidya. It's fucking absurd.
I would if Sims 2 and RPG Maker XP didn’t require like 10 gajillion requirements just to run it and praying I don’t fuck it up.

From my own usage really, I’m literally limited to using windows and unless someone is willing to port Sims 2 and RPG Maker XP over to Linux, it’s windows for me.

Edit: I realized how much Microsoft has fucked up the Gaming development on PC. I don’t even know if a lot of games these days even natively run on Linux to begin with.
Sims 2 is so old imo it's easier to just run it on an old 2ndary machine running XP or 7 and remote into that.
Everything RPGMaker works out of the box perfectly in WINE or a VM.
is Ubuntu basically the Windows of linux distributions? I am just wondering if it is considered like the super-normie linux operating system.
Ubuntu is what happens when you take the perfect idiot-proof OS and overengineer it windows style to reach the mac goal of removing all the sharp edges. It's remarkable how much better Ubuntu would be if its cleverness wasn't constantly getting in its own way.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
Printers are just terrible and I don't know why.
When god created the computer the devil created the printer.
ive never had a problwm with updates or windows 10.

only gripe is that the search function on the taskbar is bad at searching for things on the pc. if i type "storage" for storage space it will give web hits for storage space.

"stora" generates storage spaces on the pc.

its stupid.

usb devices that shouldn't powersave will turn off, displays wont turnoff despite being correct in the display and power settings.

ita probably all user settings.

also the mandatory microsoft account to boot new computers is pretty gay, that was a recent addition, used to be you could skip and use local from the start.
Monitors not turning off or turning off and immediately turning on again is fucking annoying. It's been around for ages and a common culprit is USB devices being plugged in. For a while I had to take out the mouse/keyboard dongle to get the screens to turn off.

Search in general is a god damn mystery. I rely heavily on keyboard so if I want to start Photoshop I press the Windows button and quickly slam in "p-h-o-t-o" until I see the familiar icon and press enter BUT OH NO! Microsoft did a frame perfect trick and quickly replaced Photoshop with the windows app Photos that I have never, ever used, so I have to wait for that to start so I can shut it down before attempting to open Photoshop again. That happens randomly around 20% of the time, not only with PS, Windows will bait-and-switch you in general.

The start menu is really good they just need to fix shit like that and it is retarded that shutting down indexing/cortana includes not being able to search in the start menu. What I really want is for them to expand the utility of the tile space. With a little bit of finagling you can pin anything on there not just programs. Expand on that, it's so close to being a small pop-up desktop (or "virtual purse") and I really want that functionality.

Ponchik

fake and gay
kiwifarms.net
I would if Sims 2 and RPG Maker XP didn’t require like 10 gajillion requirements just to run it and praying I don’t fuck it up.

From my own usage really, I’m literally limited to using windows and unless someone is willing to port Sims 2 and RPG Maker XP over to Linux, it’s windows for me.

Edit: I realized how much Microsoft has fucked up the Gaming development on PC. I don’t even know if a lot of games these days even natively run on Linux to begin with.
sims 2 has run fine on linux for years now with proton/dxvk/etc. (not sure about tools like simpe), and i'm not entirely sure but i'm pretty sure rpg maker has always worked ok with wine? sims 2 in particular is such a pain in the ass to run on newer windows systems that getting it working on linux can't be much harder

proton has gotten linux gaming to the point where virtually every windows game will work fine on linux, just not natively - and nobody really cares about native games on linux because proton is just that damn good. it's kind of a vicious cycle, i've kept track of this shit for years and while linux gaming still isn't particularly intuitive or anywhere near perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be

Considered HARMful

kiwifarms.net
proton has gotten linux gaming to the point where virtually every windows game will work fine on linux, just not natively - and nobody really cares about native games on linux because proton is just that damn good. it's kind of a vicious cycle, i've kept track of this shit for years and while linux gaming still isn't particularly intuitive or anywhere near perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be
This is soooo true. I've hosted multiple LAN-parties where the most problems we had were with windows machines.

The significant subset of games that I have problems with running on Proton are those using old .NET-related technologies, XNA, etc.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
>CNN
>CNN talking about technology

oh shit nigga wtf are you doing?!

he's probably confusing it with 10x which is a chrome-os clone for their tablets, companies are constantly looking for people doing NEW EXCITING STUFF, they do R&D after all, even microsoft. doesn't mean public will ever see it.
I highly doubt they'll ever port 10x to the desktop, at best "incorporate some features." the last time they tried to mess with the start menu in 8 it turned the whole release into a dud.

I have first hands experience with this, and trying to explain Linux to normalfags is a tiresome and pointless endeavor.

first mistake. just tell them it's a new windows version. yes, normalfags are retarded that way. usability-wise linux and windows are not that different these days, especially if you give them something like cinnamon or mate, and all they need really is the icon that says "internet" and "office". so if your grandma or whoever wrecks her facebook machine again, just trojan horse linux on that and enjoy the freedom of not having to play constant tech support.

Where's the entire file path, Microsoft? You take all this telemetry data from me you think you could give me the whole file path as a bit of compensation?

it is the file path, it's a virtual folder. under the hood they both link back to the same place, they just display it differently, similar to a symlink. part of the reason doing that is because microsoft likes to switch shit around and rename it as some fancy new feature, but needs the compatibility with older software.

see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/shell/knownfolderid

Microsoft does its best to nip any large-scale adoption in the bud.
Like blackmailing OEMs into not also offering Linux.

There's also the story of LiMux, Munich's own custom distro:
The city of Munich tried to switch their offices to Linux.
Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates showed up personally to speak with the mayor to convince him to revert back to Windows. That's how serious Microsoft took this.

And even though the mayor still stood by the switch, it got eventually reverted when the government changed (which just so happened to coincide with Microsoft moving their German HQ back to Munich).
The city saved millions in the short time they used Linux.

there's a reason microsoft germany's HQ is in munich mate. the rest is general lobbying and political incompetence.
for example, during the limux odyssey, did you know they didn't just re-purpose a common distro, but basically made their own? they of course had to maintain themself? and at the time had three IT departments with overlapping responsibilities? and even the study microsoft allegedly paid for didn't find big issues with linux, but the organisation?

tards like to point to munich as some epic "see, see, linux sucks", when all they had to do is pay someone to do it, just like they pay microsoft millions to do that shit. the software itself doesn't matter. meanwhile fucking france of all people converted their whole national police to ubuntu.

let's just say there's a reason bavaria is considered retarded by some.

Last edited:

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful spring treat. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
I don't care if support has ended. I'll never get rid of my Windows 7.
Not that it stops businesses from still using Windows 7 anyways. A lot of companies are trying to hold onto that OS for as long as they can. Half the reason is because their proprietary software only works on older shit.
This is true at my second job where we all have access to a Windows 7 machine that has all the software the business needs for older stuff that won't run on Windows 10. Other people have encountered the same thing with their home PCs and are keeping Windows 7 because their older software isn't forward compatible and won't ever be.

You mean how like everything else forces you to use an online account?
The Windows 10 PC I use for my main job boots up without one (for now) but flags the lack of one as a security risk. I feel the opposite is true.

Periodically, I also get some sort of screen upon logging into that particular Win10 PC that wants me to tie my computer into an account for whatever reason and my only options are something like "Yes, let's do this!" or "No thanks." there's no option to say no and have the nag screen never come back again. That's annoying. *sigh*

Also, I've learned the accounting software I use on my home PC now requires new business files to be tied into the email address that registered the software. I have no idea why short of the vendor wanting to snoop on know what data files are being used by which user.

It could be anything minor or major (eg. Microsoft switching the default PDF viewer to Edge even though you could have had Adobe set as default before the update).
Ironically enough, this happened on the first day of my second job. Edge was somehow set as the default PDF viewer which baffled both myself and a colleague. Once our techie figured out what happened, he simply reset the default program association. The possibility it could happen again in the future isn't too thrilling to hear about.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net

Dysnomia

Sucka MC
kiwifarms.net
The newest versions of Windows 10 LTSC have finally become a pretty decent replacement for it once you turn off all the spying it's possible to turn off and install Open Shell. And you get 10 years of support, which is seeming like a better and better idea to ride out the next wave of idiocy.

Open Shell changed my life. I can actually use the start menu. I also have updates off. I guess I should check for them manually once in awhile. But every time it updates it takes forever and knocks off my wifi for some reason.

General Tug Boat

∆x∆y>=h/4π
kiwifarms.net
I just am getting the final parts to a PC I have been wanting to build for a couple of years now, and I'm going to say that I'm happy I encountered this post. Just because that this means that MS is going to break any type of functionality that is left with 10 if they decide to go this redesign. Granted it's going to be made more retard proof and less accessible for anyone that has been using any distribution of Windows, pre 7.

I was tempted to get 10 Pro for this machine, but because of my dog shit experience with 10 on my laptop, I'm ready to just dump it all together. I don't game, I use my computer mainly for programming, video editing, graphic design, and web browsing. I had Ubuntu dual booted on my old 7 and I'd have to say that Linux is good for what I use computers for these days. I am not married to any of the windows software, the only thing I use that would be windows exclusive would be the word processor and excel. Even then Libra office package is the fucking same in every manner functionally. Gimp is my editor of choice because I hate the clutter that comes with Adobe, plus paying to use cloud shit is assine.

Visual Studio is bloated fucking trash and you can find better IDEs on Linux. My whole objective with my current build is to remove all of the clutter and garbage that has fried every fucking computer I've owned, because Windows starts to become a colossal cluster fuck in every conceivable manner. The 10 GUI was what drove me over the edge because I thought they would of learned from 8 that trying to make a multiport is a fucking terrible idea. I never used any of the shit they crammed into 10, so in the standpoint of getting a Windows PC these days is kind of fucking useless for somebody like me. I hate having to bypass their shitty GUI just to access the Win32 directories, because that is the only thing searching wise I like to use.

MS is going to break 10 and then they'll be announcing the end of life for it after the stock prices suffer from the redesign. I'm fucking done with penny pinching MS, they had a great OS with XP but somehow they fucking ruined it all together. Not to say I had anything against 7, but it would never hold a candle to XP. 10 just managed to take every problem with 8 && 8.1 to then build in Cortiona and just slightly redesign the GUI. This was to trick people into thinking they where going to get a retreading of 7, but it was just all of the broken things with 8 trojan horsed into our homes.

I genuinely wanted to like 10, but after the cycles of never ending updates, system lag, useless apps, defaults switching mysteriously, shitty GUI, physical hardware strain, constant GPU crashing, broken drivers, and finally their constant shoe horning of the cloud. I am going to have to say that I am at the point of just going with Linux and boycotting MS. I never thought I'd say that because I've been using MS OS since I began to use computers, but I'm not paying that much money for an already shitty broken 6 year old OS, that is going to be 8.1ed and dumped. Games aren't even worth it for me because most games I've bought the last couple of years have been massive fucking disappointments outside of Doom Eternal and MW.

Dread First

خاموشیاں یہ سہ نہ سکوں
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just am getting the final parts to a PC I have been wanting to build for a couple of years now, and I'm going to say that I'm happy I encountered this post. Just because that this means that MS is going to break any type of functionality that is left with 10 if they decide to go this redesign. Granted it's going to be made more retard proof and less accessible for anyone that has been using any distribution of Windows, pre 7.

I was tempted to get 10 Pro for this machine, but because of my dog shit experience with 10 on my laptop, I'm ready to just dump it all together. I don't game, I use my computer mainly for programming, video editing, graphic design, and web browsing. I had Ubuntu dual booted on my old 7 and I'd have to say that Linux is good for what I use computers for these days. I am not married to any of the windows software, the only thing I use that would be windows exclusive would be the word processor and excel. Even then Libra office package is the fucking same in every manner functionally. Gimp is my editor of choice because I hate the clutter that comes with Adobe, plus paying to use cloud shit is assine.

Visual Studio is bloated fucking trash and you can find better IDEs on Linux. My whole objective with my current build is to remove all of the clutter and garbage that has fried every fucking computer I've owned, because Windows starts to become a colossal cluster fuck in every conceivable manner. The 10 GUI was what drove me over the edge because I thought they would of learned from 8 that trying to make a multiport is a fucking terrible idea. I never used any of the shit they crammed into 10, so in the standpoint of getting a Windows PC these days is kind of fucking useless for somebody like me. I hate having to bypass their shitty GUI just to access the Win32 directories, because that is the only thing searching wise I like to use.

MS is going to break 10 and then they'll be announcing the end of life for it after the stock prices suffer from the redesign. I'm fucking done with penny pinching MS, they had a great OS with XP but somehow they fucking ruined it all together. Not to say I had anything against 7, but it would never hold a candle to XP. 10 just managed to take every problem with 8 && 8.1 to then build in Cortiona and just slightly redesign the GUI. This was to trick people into thinking they where going to get a retreading of 7, but it was just all of the broken things with 8 trojan horsed into our homes.

I genuinely wanted to like 10, but after the cycles of never ending updates, system lag, useless apps, defaults switching mysteriously, shitty GUI, physical hardware strain, constant GPU crashing, broken drivers, and finally their constant shoe horning of the cloud. I am going to have to say that I am at the point of just going with Linux and boycotting MS. I never thought I'd say that because I've been using MS OS since I began to use computers, but I'm not paying that much money for an already shitty broken 6 year old OS, that is going to be 8.1ed and dumped. Games aren't even worth it for me because most games I've bought the last couple of years have been massive fucking disappointments outside of Doom Eternal and MW.

Idk if it's 100% compatible with your hardware, but Windows 10 LTSC is what I use to have a functional W10 experience without all the bullshit. I'm on a moderately recent setup with a B350 Mobo and LTSC 2019 has been working just fine for me.

General Tug Boat

∆x∆y>=h/4π
kiwifarms.net
Idk if it's 100% compatible with your hardware, but Windows 10 LTSC is what I use to have a functional W10 experience without all the bullshit. I'm on a moderately recent setup with a B350 Mobo and LTSC 2019 has been working just fine for me.
I will look into that, thank you for sourcing that. If I'm lucky enough to have my hardware match up with it then I'd be happy.