Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

PetrifiedTom

Po_0petrator
kiwifarms.net
Protip: You can't break thing that already broken.

But everything aside there is no real competitor to Windows. Some Linux distros works better than the others but the amount of unecesary work to optimise OS for your needs overwhelmingly overcomplicated. MacOS is fine till you don't dive too much into complex things. Like forget to easily connect two monitors to new MacMini. It's fine to chill but I wouldn't bring myself to work on this computer.

Last edited:

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some Linux distros works better than the others but the amount of unecesary work to optimise OS for your needs overwhelmingly overcomplicated.

Trying to make an OS that is accessible to retards is how Windows got the way it is in the first place. If you haven't set up a distro like Mint, Ubuntu or Manjaro on a PC recently, I think you'll be surprised at how simple the initial setup has become.

PetrifiedTom

Po_0petrator
kiwifarms.net
Trying to make an OS that is accessible to retards is how Windows got the way it is in the first place. If you haven't set up a distro like Mint, Ubuntu or Manjaro on a PC recently, I think you'll be surprised at how simple the initial setup has become.
What I mean is something like gaining access from File Explorer to OneDrive (for example) in any Linux distro is a nightmare. It is not the fault of Linux but *slight* inconvinience in business work running mostly on Micropenis. I also can't stand environment of LibreOffice and Thunderbird. I am so used to ribbon that I can't navigate anymore in anything else. This is how you raise your customers to your products. Linux for too long delayed opening for wider audience than *nerds* that even more friendly distros like Mint are still unacceptable for my type of workflow.

Dalinar

Niche Internet Microcelebrity
kiwifarms.net
I think this whole thing is just so they can shove Cortana farther up our ass. Windows 10 is borderline malware and there is no light at the end of this tunnel for any improvement to features consumers actually use.

PetrifiedTom

Po_0petrator
kiwifarms.net
LibreOffice has a ribbon-style interface. You can select it under View -> User Interface
Oh fuck you! Don't break my arguments m'kay?
I got used to the way how Excel works and can't force myself to learn the ways of Calc. It is utter shit.

I think this whole thing is just so they can shove Cortana farther up our ass. Windows 10 is borderline malware and there is no light at the end of this tunnel for any improvement to features consumers actually use.
I was considering going full-opensource but too many things I use daily can't be replaced.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
The Windows 10 PC I use for my main job boots up without one (for now) but flags the lack of one as a security risk. I feel the opposite is true.

Periodically, I also get some sort of screen upon logging into that particular Win10 PC that wants me to tie my computer into an account for whatever reason and my only options are something like "Yes, let's do this!" or "No thanks." there's no option to say no and have the nag screen never come back again. That's annoying. *sigh*
I really don't want an online MS account and have avoided that like the plague, but there's one feature that is pretty good and that's the wallet for you license keys so if you reinstall or build a new computer you can transfer the license by logging in.

The other stuff I don't like and my current license wallet is good enough: a picture of the license key sticker stored on my phone.

Rozzy

A UwU Shiba Inu
kiwifarms.net
It's Windows for my work PC and Linux for my shitposting/general use PC.

Why is my Linux PC more snappy than my Windows 10 Pro PC, Linux PC is 3rd gen i5 and Windows PC is 8th gen i7?

Full Race Replay

Hi my names Full Race Replay but you can call me F
kiwifarms.net
It's Windows for my work PC and Linux for my shitposting/general use PC.

Why is my Linux PC more snappy than my Windows 10 Pro PC, Linux PC is 3rd gen i5 and Windows PC is 8th gen i7?
idk if that's rhetorical... but if you know what linux is and have set it up on your computer you know why windows is slower

AlephOne2Many

the late nightmare special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I use TwisterOS which has a ton of useful software and other tools pre-installed... or bloaty depending on how you look at things yet it still runs much much MUCH faster than an older midrange laptop running windows 10.

attractive_pneumonia

kiwifarms.net
is Ubuntu basically the Windows of linux distributions? I am just wondering if it is considered like the super-normie linux operating system.
Linux Mint IS Ubuntu but with a different desktop environment called Cinnamon. There are two approaches people have when introducing people to Linux, one approach, generally tailored to a younger more malleable crowd is to send them to default Ubuntu which runs Gnome as its desktop environment. The goal of this is to break the user of their Windows habits and learn new ways of doing things by denying them the same old worn paths in their brain. The other approach is to just dump the boomer you're working with to Mint since they're fucking hopeless and admitting its impossible to retrain their brain after 30 years of Windows. Mint is the closest thing Linux has when being a Windows analogue.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
I really don't want an online MS account and have avoided that like the plague, but there's one feature that is pretty good and that's the wallet for you license keys so if you reinstall or build a new computer you can transfer the license by logging in.

The other stuff I don't like and my current license wallet is good enough: a picture of the license key sticker stored on my phone.

works without a wallet, your hardware is linked to the key "in the cloud", with or without it. it's just easier to transfer with an account, but I don't think you can transfer it between accounts (like selling it or whatever).
meanwhile without the account you just have to deactivate the key before you re-install, then use the key wherever you want. used it on completely new hardware and it activated just fine.

Linux Mint IS Ubuntu but with a different desktop environment called Cinnamon. There are two approaches people have when introducing people to Linux, one approach, generally tailored to a younger more malleable crowd is to send them to default Ubuntu which runs Gnome as its desktop environment. The goal of this is to break the user of their Windows habits and learn new ways of doing things by denying them the same old worn paths in their brain. The other approach is to just dump the boomer you're working with to Mint since they're fucking hopeless and admitting its impossible to retrain their brain after 30 years of Windows. Mint is the closest thing Linux has when being a Windows analogue.

most people are lazy, not an issue of age. fuck I knew twenty-something that were lazier than some 50+ yo.
in the end most of them are casuals anyway that either will google the issue (if there is a proper error message, not some "something went wrong *sadface*" shit), or in most cases just ask a familiar member or mate "who knows computers and stuff" - and most are windowsfags, so easier and faster to get a reply.

in the end, unless they have a specific use case like certain games or specialized software, linux will do just fine.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
works without a wallet, your hardware is linked to the key "in the cloud", with or without it.
Yes, but the cloud is linked to your account.

Without the wallet I didn't actually have to de-activate anything, it was a Dell Win7 Pro key upgraded to Win10 Pro, upgraded well after the free upgrade deal ended, on a Dell system and transferred to a completely new computer I built. Upgrading keys is something I don't think MS minds that you take liberties with if they go towards Win10.

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
Yes, but the cloud is linked to your account.

Without the wallet I didn't actually have to de-activate anything, it was a Dell Win7 Pro key upgraded to Win10 Pro, upgraded well after the free upgrade deal ended, on a Dell system and transferred to a completely new computer I built. Upgrading keys is something I don't think MS minds that you take liberties with if they go towards Win10.

key is saved online either way.
gotta admit never tried it without deactivating first, because I can already see microsoft forcing me to hook up my old hardware again to do so before I can re-use the key, and a "certified microsoft support technician" to phone are hard to come by at 3am. it's the type of shit ms likes to pull in the absolute worst moment.

maybe that's just trauma having to deal with that kind of shit back then when I constantly had to do it on the job or else the key wouldn't activate.

this thread got nerdy quite fast

Ponchik

fake and gay
kiwifarms.net
why the fuck would you want to torture anyone by forcing them to use gnome 3. god that's sadistic