Windows 10 is rumored to be getting a major redesign. Don't screw this up, Microsoft!

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
In the words of the Doctor: "You're redecorated... I don't like it."

My first impression, it looks like MacOS. And to me that's a bad thing. I don't like Macs.

More objectively, they've got rid of the full screen start window. That's very annoying because being able to group my applications into a clear groups is great for my motor memory. This column - office apps. This column - development tools. Etcetera. Instead I have what it's like on a Mac or on Gnome 3 which is one crowded central panel with no organizational structure (unless you turn it into "All Apps" which is an extra click and creates a very long, scrolling list - also bad). Visually, that structure is very helpful. I'm clinging to hope that full-screen Start page is an option that can be included but it looks like it's gone.

Continues to be an epic level of effort and registry hacking to stop Windows sending search requests to the Internet every time you type to start a program or find a document. Fuck this.

Rounded corners vaguely annoying in that my Windows will no longer line up completely flush with each other.

Do like the ability to snap windows from the maximise button but as it's trivial to do this with just dragging by the mouse or keyboard shortcuts it's not much of a relative advantage.

Might be that there's nice stuff I'm not aware of yet, but currently Do Not Want
1624118815265.png

I felt the same about Gnome 3, though, and they listened to us then.

Coolio55

Numbuh one brony in da hood, G
kiwifarms.net
I bet M$ will do the opposite of gnome and remove the filenames below image thumbnails.

Leotardo DaVinci

Clothes are meant to be worn!
kiwifarms.net
I just pray that Microsoft has a research division looking at re-building Windows from the ground up. No more backwards compatibility i.e everything is built on MS-DOS, no more driver bloat and 1.5GiB idle RAM usage.

I know it's a far fetched dream, but a man can only hope. Literally just want that 90s craze of operating systems again...

Leotardo DaVinci

Clothes are meant to be worn!
kiwifarms.net
Never gonna happen. OSs are a service now, not a product. Microsoft doesn't make their money on Windows keys anymore, they make it by recording everything you do.
This is unfortunately so true.
1625382901040.png

They don't even seem to cover the financials of selling operating systems, or anything related to selling products. Maybe it's nested under 'More Personal Computing', but it's so insignificant that it gets bundled with everything else.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been using this for several days. It's alright, I guess, if you don't use a lot of individual windows for any one application. It would be nice if suspend worked, but that's probably [hardware vendor]s fault.

DNA_JACKED

Pronouns are Ni/Gg/Er: proud transracialwomankin
kiwifarms.net
I just pray that Microsoft has a research division looking at re-building Windows from the ground up. No more backwards compatibility i.e everything is built on MS-DOS, no more driver bloat and 1.5GiB idle RAM usage.

I know it's a far fetched dream, but a man can only hope. Literally just want that 90s craze of operating systems again...
Well good news! Windows hasn't been built on DOS since ME, and only hardcore Mac nerds think lack of backwards compatibility is a good thing.

I mean hell Ubuntu and mint will idle with 1.5GiB of ram usage on the desktop I'd you have more then 16GB total.

I mean really, you pray someone at MS wants to get rid of legacy software support? That is the ONLY selling feature of windows now. Are you by chance retarded?

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean really, you pray someone at MS wants to get rid of legacy software support? That is the ONLY selling feature of windows now.
Yeah, imagine what would happen if MS decided to do an Apple-style clean break with the past. Suddenly you'd have entire industries saying "As long as we have to rebuild our entire old rusty software stack that dates back to 1991, maybe we should shop around a bit."

ZMOT

wat
kiwifarms.net
I mean really, you pray someone at MS wants to get rid of legacy software support? That is the ONLY selling feature of windows now. Are you by chance retarded?
you mean like when ms removed 16bit support on 64x versions and is slowly phasing out 32bit versions which you can't use as a workaround anymore?

if you have to run your shit in a VM anyway there's not much reason to use windows either.

Yeah, imagine what would happen if MS decided to do an Apple-style clean break with the past. Suddenly you'd have entire industries saying "As long as we have to rebuild our entire old rusty software stack that dates back to 1991, maybe we should shop around a bit."
or, even more likely those industries will simply not upgrade altogether. you think they give a fuck about security updates on their standalone workstations or closed networks?
good luck getting your resident bean counter to not only budget funds for a company wide migration (plus training and all the other fun stuff that comes along with it), but explain to him you have to shut down production too while doing so.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
you mean like when ms removed 16bit support on 64x versions
This was the world's most INSANE technical decision!

Not only could my company no longer install our standard web browser, Netscape Communicator 4.08, but the corporate-mandated lunch hour SkiFree sessions had to be switched to skifree.js, which is far more demanding resource-wise and features different monster behaviour.
slowly phasing out 32bit versions which you can't use as a workaround anymore?
Look, you have to bite the bullet. You'll just have to install winevdm to play SimTower. It's hard, I know, but you'll get used to it.

potato fan

kiwifarms.net
This was the world's most INSANE technical decision!

Not only could my company no longer install our standard web browser, Netscape Communicator 4.08, but the corporate-mandated lunch hour SkiFree sessions had to be switched to skifree.js, which is far more demanding resource-wise and features different monster behaviour.

Look, you have to bite the bullet. You'll just have to install winevdm to play SimTower. It's hard, I know, but you'll get used to it.
spoken like someone who never worked in a company that is using DOS based, tailor made accounting software that does 100% what is needed, and it would take tens of thousands of dollars in licences alone to replace to a modern solution

I just pray that Microsoft has a research division looking at re-building Windows from the ground up. No more backwards compatibility i.e everything is built on MS-DOS
are you posting from 1999?

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
spoken like someone who never worked in a company that is using DOS based, tailor made accounting software that does 100% what is needed, and it would take tens of thousands of dollars in licences alone to replace to a modern solution
wordperfect autists use DOSBox variants to deliver better printer integration than any recent version of windows. you can too