Wings: buffalo, and inferior variations - Share recipes too

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a lot of opinions about buffalo wings, since my boyfriend and I moved to the west coast we have come to realize wings here suck. So I've started trying to make them myself, but they also kind of suck, I haven't come close to perfecting it. Also, I don't have a deep fryer.
So far this is my favorite recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-buffalo-wings

Last night I modified this recipe but instead of using frank's red hot, I experimented with the sauce and combined ninja squirrel sriracha (spicy with subtle fruit undertones) and pepper jelly. I liked it and it seemed to go over well as a variation.

Please post recipes, or just good wings you have eaten because the wings here suck.

Last edited:

MrTroll

I know you can read MY thoughts, boy
kiwifarms.net
I slather so much blue cheese dip on my wings that I can't even taste the chicken. So I'm not that picky.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I deep fry mine in a cast iron dutch oven. It takes about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

My favorite sauce is a 80/20 mixture of Frank's Red Hot and garlic butter. Or just garlic butter and dust them in parmesan cheese.

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made wings tonight! I use my wok as a deep fryer. I always put them in a brine for about 6 hours first. It's just your basic brine, but I simmer a good handful of star anise and black peppercorns with the salt and sugar in a quart of water, then let it steep overnight before adding the remaining 3 quarts.

Brining them really kicks up the delicious factor and makes them very juicy.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Believe it or not there was a time I didn't even know you could properly remove the bones without destroying the whole wing. Now I almost never go "boneless"...
Oh dude, yeah. Boneless is far inferior, but I put up with it for convenience for years. Not anymore.

Reactions: Danny_Mothers

Danny_Mothers

Popcorn's Hot. Join The Movies
kiwifarms.net
Big fan of frying, but I was shocked when I tried Buffalo Wild Wings' Original Dry Rub on regular baked wings paired with preservative-free blue cheese.

...Does anyone else think the stuff in the plastic bottles tastes 'off' nearly 100% of the time? How do you guys who have cooked in a professional kitchen feel about the bulk blue cheese, like the Ken's?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Buffalo Wild Wings' Original Dry Rub
For a while a buddy of mine and I who worked mostly weekends like me would go to BWW for their lunch all-you-can-eat and get a fuckton of wings, beer, and bring our laptops for World of Warcraft.

We tipped nice and bought booze so they were pretty cool with us since it was a slow time for them anyway.

Reactions: Danny_Mothers

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have been recently cooking buffalo wings. I have a lot of opinions on how to do this, and why everyone is wrong.
First of all, almost no one in the portland area cooks them properly. People keep recommending me places that barely have true buffalo wings.
"Dry spice rub" isn't a fucking buffalo wing. It's frank's red hot and butter. It's very simple. Literally just two ingredients.
Bottle of frank's + 2 tbsps butter = hot
Bottle of Frank's + 1/2 butter = medium
1/2 bottle Frank's + 1/2 butter = mild
I don't have a deep fryer, that completely changes the game. So I have to bake them and then fry them in a skillet.
If you buy wings that are whole, drumstick + wing = cut them up!
Hooter's actually has excellent full wings, but if you're making wings yourself, don't bother. You just want winglettes and drumettes. SO cut them and cut off the extra bits.
I bake them according to directions, but toss them in CORN STARCH first. This makes the wings crispy when you bake/fry them.
You may add salt and pepper and cayenne to the corn starch mix.
Then, after you've baked them, you can fry them in a pan for extra crispyness, if you don't have a deep fryer.
DO NOT add extra ingredients to the above ratios of Frank's and butter. Do not add salt or cayenne or anything. Just make this recipe as listed 3-5 times before adding anything different. Toss the cooked wings with the buffalo sauce.
After tossing the wings with sauce you can bake or broil them briefly then eat them. I don't have a good recipe for bleu cheese dip atm. Most store bought bleu cheese dip sucks. You are better off buying one and adding crumbled bleu cheese. Don't use fucking Ranch though.

Last edited:

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lemon-Pepper Garlic wings are pretty good tbh, as long as it isn't reduced to a bouillon cube-like mess like many establishments do.

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
We have a wing thread, but it's four years old and not really what I'm looking for. Does anyone have favorite chicken wing recipes that they'd like to share. I've got a bunch I want to cook, but I want different flavor options. What you got, farmers?

• Late
Reactions: zedkissed60

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Take chicken wings.

Break them into their component pieces.

Put them on a baking pan over parchment paper. Sprinkle them liberally with salt, pepper and your choice of spices.

Bake them at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Take them out, let them cool.

Put them into a Tupperware container and stick them in the fridge for about 12-24 hours. This is the important part btw. If you want them right now, put them in the freezer until cold.

Take them back out, throw them into a pan of hot peanut oil set to the appropriate frying temperature. Should be deep enough to cover them completely.

Fry for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove, and toss them in your preferred sauce. I reccomend a blend of Chalua hot sauce and bbq, but that is just me.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Publix unbreaded spicy wings are actually better after they've been refrigerated then reheated in an oven

Dell Conagher

I solve practical problems.
kiwifarms.net
I prefer my wings redeemed or in progress of being redeemed. i guess you could call them wings of redemption

Publix unbreaded spicy wings are actually better after they've been refrigerated then reheated in an oven
I want to fuck a publix, its the best store

Reactions: XYZpdq

littlearmalite

SPEND THESE THIRTY HOURS GETTIN FREAKAAAAAAAAAY
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
there's a place by my old college that has alfredo wings. It's exactly as good as it sounds.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: XYZpdq

Trombonista

Yellow slide's for babies!
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The first time I ever had buffalo wings was at the Anchor Bar when I was in elementary school. I've enjoyed them ever since then.

Tags
None