Culture Women don't feel safe in public spaces — and it's up to men to do something about it - PATRICK WRIGHT IS A WORM, time to skull more SOYLENT lads!

Jesus

Resident drunk
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Women don't feel safe in public spaces — and it's up to men to do something about it

Do you know how to make a weapon out of your keys and a fist?
No? Chances are you're not a woman.
If you haven't experienced it yourself, it's hard to imagine what it must be like to face unwanted sexual advances, threats or violence just for walking down the street.
But for many Australian women, it's a daily reality. When Plan International surveyed hundreds of young women in Sydney, they found that nine in 10 felt unsafe at night.
In many cases, the underlying fear is the behaviour of men.
"Without doubt, at the heart of harassment is a deep disrespect or disregard for women as equals, as something more than an object, a body, a sexual being," says Susanne Legena, Plan Australia's chief executive officer.
If you're a man, you might be thinking, "I would never do that". Even so, we all have a role in improving the situation for the women we know, and those we don't.

YOUTUBEMen vs Women: How often do you feel unsafe in public?How to be a better bystander against harassment
Many women are harassed in the most public of places, like public transport or a busy city street. Often there are witnesses, and often they do nothing.
In a 2018 report, Plan noted: "For the most part, witnesses just stand by: they do little or nothing to help, and girls and young women feel that there is little point in reporting harassment to the authorities because they believe the authorities have neither the will nor the power to do anything about it."
So why exactly are people so reluctant to intervene when they're seeing women being harassed?
Intervening in sex assaults
A third of women around the world experience domestic violence.
Preventing sexual violence is everyone's responsibility, but we need to be careful about how we do it, writes Bianca Fileborn from UNSW.
Read more

Claire Tatyzo, who runs bystander intervention workshops for YWCA Australia, says there are a few things going on.
Firstly, there's something called bystander apathy. It's the sense we have in group situations that someone else will intervene, when often no-one does.
In some situations, intervening may feel unsafe. (We'll get to how to handle these moments shortly.) And, sometimes, people are afraid of reading the room wrong and looking silly, Ms Tatyzo says.
Instead of giving yourself reasons to avoid intervening, think about the reasons you should do something, she says.
"We really do encourage people to think twice … Obviously you need to consider safety, but there's often a good reason why you should intervene," Ms Tatyzo says.
Toxic masculinity
Drawing of a family photo on a wall, dad has toxic fumes around his head representing the effects of toxic masculinity.
Men confront and deal with their abusive actions that have driven their families apart and left a trail of hurt.
Read more

Here are a few practical ideas for intervening in problematic or questionable situations.
1. Call out poor behaviour
If you witness poor behaviour, call it out. It might be a sexist joke. It might be someone harassing a woman at a bar.
Often, you don't have to say much. It could simply be something like "That's not funny, mate" or "That's not OK", two phrases mentioned in a recent Victorian campaign.
"It might shut it down, or it might make that person think twice before doing it again. It might also lead to a discussion about why that [behaviour] is harmful," Ms Tatyzo says.
Family and domestic violence support services:
2. Create an interruption
By interrupting an interaction, you can provide an opportunity for a woman to leave or get some help. It doesn't have to be confrontational either.
Here are a few approaches you can use.
  • The "old friend" method: One man in one of Ms Tatyzo's workshops saw a woman being harassed at a bus stop. He went up to her, pretending to know her, and said, "Hey, Sally" which created an opening for her to leave.
  • The "I'm lost" method: Another non-confrontational approach is to create an interruption by asking for directions.
  • The "checking in" method: It's obvious, but if you spot someone in a potentially problematic situation, you could ask them if they're OK.
3. Get help
In many situations, the best thing you can do if you spot something concerning is to get help from the professionals.
"It could be police, security, or if you are on public transport, notifying the bus driver that something's going on. That is something we would certainly encourage," Ms Tatyzo says.
We'd love to hear from men and women on this topic. Share your experiences and advice with life@abc.net.au
A man and a woman walk down a street at night holding hands.

IMAGEThere are a number of ways you can defuse situations, and it doesn't have to involve confrontation.(Unsplash: Josh Wilburne)Put yourself in women's shoes
When Plan International created a map documenting women's experiences in Sydney, the response was overwhelming.
Map shows sexual harassment hotspots in Sydney

Charity Plan International joins forces with young women to map areas of Sydney, Delhi, Kampala, Lima and Madrid that they avoid due to sexual harassment.
Read more

Hundreds of women marked locations where they had been made to feel unsafe, where they were harassed, where men masturbated in front of them and, in some cases, where they were sexually assaulted.
Often these incidents happened in public places, or places where many men have never been made to feel unsafe.
There's a gap between men's experiences of these places and those of women — and it's important to keep in mind. While you might not feel unsafe walking home from the train at night, it's quite possible the woman walking in front of you does, especially if you're only few steps behind her and wearing dark clothes.
So what can you do help? Start by putting yourself in women's shoes. Here's a few ideas to get you started, courtesy of a group of Sydney women who worked with Plan.
  • Keep your distance. If you're closely walking behind a woman on a poorly lit street at night, you're quite possibly terrifying her. Leave plenty of space or even cross the road if you can.
  • Don't run up quickly behind someone. If you're out for a jog, don't run up quickly behind people. It can freak them out.
  • Don't stare. Staring makes women feel unsafe. It's also just creepy.
  • Keep your comments to yourself. Yelling things at women from your car isn't funny, complimentary or harmless. It's harassment.
Don't blame the victim
Women are often told that by wearing certain clothes, going to certain places or drinking alcohol they are inviting harassment; that is their fault; that they "weren't being safe".
Career advice from successful women
A collage of six women in front of a pink zig-zag design background to depict career advice from women at the top of their game.
Six Australian women with impressive careers share their advice for work and life.
Read more

"It can be very damaging for people who have had these kinds of experiences. It reinforces their sense of powerlessness and it reinforces their pain," says Ms Legena.
"It is a really dangerous framing [of the issue], and we have to question why we don't put the emphasis on the people who are perpetrating the behaviour. Why don't we say, 'That has to stop'?"
It's a narrative that plays out in public — for instance, in comments by police after the death of Eurydice Dixon in Melbourne — and in private for many Australian women.
A woman wearing a beanie and a backpack walks on a busy street.

IMAGEWhen women are harassed, they're often told they shouldn't have been out, they shouldn't been drinking or that they were "asking for it".(Unsplash: Anubhav Saxena)
"Girls were saying [to us], 'I am actively not going out, not doing certain things, because if something happens to me, I know that I'll be blamed'," Ms Legena says.
It's like telling men, after a man has been punched in a pub, that they shouldn't go out at night, adds Ms Tatyzo.
Instead of questioning what a woman was wearing — or what she had to drink — ask yourself why men feel entitled to treat women so poorly. Ask your girlfriend or wife, your friend or your colleagues what you can do to help.
"[Women] have a right to be everywhere we want to be," Ms Legena says.
"If this kind of behaviour is curtailing our freedom, that's got to be something that as a society we say, 'That's not on.'"
TLDR

TESTOSTERONE, MANSPREADING AND HEAVY FOOTSTEPS SCARES ME **GULP SOYLENT**

Also, lol, this noodle armed bitch, Patrick Wright.

I'm sure he enjoys being pegged while told how much of a muhsogginistic monster he is

Last edited by a moderator:

Krimjob

Resident God-Emperor
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it's cool how we men never have to think about our own safety when we're outside. It's also great how we don't have to work out and train to make sure we can defend ourselves and our loved ones.

Damn, our lives are so fucking chill.

He looks like he wants to peg children.

On a more serious note: I've never actually heard a man ever blame a victim of sexual assault or harassment. Only that if you're an idiot, for example by being along in the middle of the night, you probably shouldn't be surprised if it happens. It sucks, yes, but it's an unfortunate truth that we live in a shit world filled with shit people. It's not like we men are any safer, as we're prime targets for violent robberies and such. Most thugs wouldn't hesitate to stab a man for a wallet.

Anyhow, the article presents nothing that hasn't been said before and is just filled with virtue-signaling that no one cares about. You're not gonna get laid by pretending to be a loser who dictates how other people should do shit. Especially since this dude probably would run and cower if he ever saw a woman getting assaulted.

OK, I'll do my part:

Hey Women! You're far less likely to be assaulted than a man. I, a man, have gone all the years of my life without once being assaulted by a stranger in public.

It's marketing companies trying to scare you for various reasons, to sell products, to sell 'news'. You can relax, women, this is the safest time in history for you. The world isn't 100% safe, but it's also not out to get you.

That's not to say you shouldn't perhaps carry some mace or what not, not because it's a crazy world with people trying to kill you around every corner, but because it's good to be prepared when the preparation is that simple.

Also, and I don't think I'm alone in this, as a random dude I will put my life on the line to protect a random woman I don't know. I honestly tried to once (as it turned out, no protection was needed). We're mostly all cool people, and hyper vigilance is really bad for your mental health.

Women are more vulnerable to that too.
Males represented 77% of homicide victims and nearly 90% of offenders. The victimization rate for males (11.6 per 100,000) was 3 times higher than the rate for females (3.4 per 100,000).
1565792687844.png

No, women are far LESS likely to be victims of violent crime.
An important article. The undeniable fact is that men don’t have to deal with creeps the same way women constantly do, and if we just let it happen without doing anything, we join the ranks of said creeps.
That 'fact' seems very deniable. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's an assertion without evidence.

People like to focus on the fact that women are less likely to be the offender, but uh... how does that help anyone if they were murdered by a woman instead of a man? It's the getting murdered part that is the problem.

Sauce:https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
An important article. The undeniable fact is that men don’t have to deal with creeps the same way women constantly do
We do, because we were the creeps all along. I really dislike the life experience of being the bus driver in my own head, and then getting a boner and suddenly being in the back of the bus, and a dumb, angry werewolf is now the driver instead.

Freedom Fries

kiwifarms.net
Do you know how to make a weapon out of your keys and a fist?
No? Chances are you're not a woman.
If you think putting your keys between your knuckles like wolverine is gonna help you instead of just slipping or fucking up your hand then chances are you're a woman.

You're supposed to use it with the back flat deep your palm in a hammer strike btw.

Last edited:

CamelCursive

kiwifarms.net
If one is not a man, one does not get to dictate what men should do or be.

I know the author is male.

My point still stands, I used the word man. If an actual man stared this faggot down on the bus, he'd offer his own preteen daughter's cunt in exchange for his own safety- perhaps even ask if he needed to help hold her down. What a fucking waste of flesh, he can't even be carved up to give a dog a decent portion of meat.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino