World Health Organization Officially Recognizes Gaming Addiction as a Disease -

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The WHO has officially acknowledged the disorder this weekend, at the 72nd World Health Assembly. This means the organization will officially recognize gaming as a potentially addictive behavior.

The group defines gaming addiction for both offline and online gaming in a similar way. Both are “characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurring gaming behavior,” while online gaming is “primarily conducted over the internet” and offline gaming is clearly not.

The supposed disorder arises in three ways:

• Impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context)
  • Increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities
  • Continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.
“The pattern of gaming behavior may be continuous or episodic and recurrent,” the WHO state. “The gaming behavior and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.”

Gaming regulatory bodies like the ESA and IGDA, as well as a multitude of professional psychologists, have all decried the WHO classifying gaming addiction as a clinical disorder.

Now that the WHO has recognized gaming addiction as a disorder, they have until 2022 to introduce new preventative measures and treatments, which I’m sure will be hilarious.
Does getting welfare and disability for gaming addiction make somebody a Cow or is it just a respectable decision?

Should troon letsplayers and speedrunners be more concerned about their gaming? Does Taiwan being banned from this event mean anything? Could they have stopped this?

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
Okay, to anyone that actually knows about this stuff is classifying addiction as a disease accurate? To me it seems questionable but alright on the surface, but this is also the same organization that won't classify gender dysphoria as mental illness just to get ass pats, so I'm going to be a bit skeptical here.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
From my experience, true gaming addiction were those super MMO tryhards that South Park made fun of back when WoW was popular. I've met people who used to be this way to some degree, they'd literally sit and play one raid for 10+ hours not moving at all, they'd have their parents bring them food and they'd find some way to squeeze in going to the bathroom in under a minute if possible or set up some means to not have to leave. Stories in Korea I believe, where someone just dies or passes out in an internet cafe and needs to go to the hospital come up from time to time. THAT is an addiction when you drop dead over video games when you don't sleep for multiple days straight because you're raiding in WoW/grinding some korean mmo nearly or literally 24/7, and you just straight die in a public place and no one notices because you looked just as lifeless from a distance as when you were actually alive.

WoW ruining someone's life is not even that uncommon from what I've seen back in the peak of WoW's popularity people ruined relationships over WoW addiction and many former WoW players that I've seen admit that they were addicted to WoW. Sure gamers and obsessed nerds like these ruin their relationships all the time over stupid shit, but this from what I've seen noticed is on another level as people who got addicted to WoW would skip literally anything to keep playing WoW. They're basically NEETs only they forget to do everything except play vidya, most NEETs can remember to eat at some point and sleep every day. So in those cases, sure I could see it as a mental illness.

Last edited:

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
Eh, the moment they started classifying addictions as a disease was when this shit went off the rails to begin with. Doesn't matter to me what they add to the list of addictions; the root of the problem is pretending it's a disease.
Yeah, it's not right to call something a disease that can't be helped when it's exacerbated solely by one's behavior choices. Influenza doesn't get worse because you choose to drink one more can of viruses or press buttons on a controller.

The only reason I game so much is because the Gov pays me to not work and I get bored.
Give me back my taxes!

Tags
None