World Health Organization Officially Recognizes Gaming Addiction as a Disease -

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is retard.ed. Anything can be addictive. The danger isn't so much as playing too much, its those with gambling addictions transferring them over to mobile games and F2P loot-box simulators that exploit that addiction. Also:

• Continuation or escalation of X despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.
I removed gaming and put an X there, because that is literally the definition of every mental illness fucking ever. Like people watching television or bringing a thousand TV shows instead of doing anything. Or being 100% on social media, leading a joyless fucking existence.

Like I said, the true danger of gaming addiction is for those who spend massive amounts of money on microtransactions and glorified gambling. Just playing games a lot doesn't qualify.

Not an_ime g_irl

kiwifarms.net
I have a problem with this whole classification thing; What changes?
You might classify "gaming addiction" as a disease, but we all know that is not actually the case, gaming addiction is not the disease itself but the product of the original "disease"
People don't get addicted to videogames out of the blue, something pushes a person to end up spending 12 hours a day playing a game instead of doing anything else be it social problems, existential problems, depression or whatever else is fucking the person up.
It is counterproductive to list "gaming addiction" as a disease, it is a symptom of something greater.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Like I said, the true danger of gaming addiction is for those who spend massive amounts of money on microtransactions and glorified gambling. Just playing games a lot doesn't qualify.
I know mobile games aren't exactly popular amongst most people, but most "whales" in gachas that I've personally met fall under the category of upper middle class people and just play mobile games because many ones that aren't complete garbage fall roughly into the category of an mmo that you can put money in to get all the power you need to do most content quickly and easily, while constantly updating to keep you interested assuming they don't super break shit.

Usually games like these have enough systems and decent enough combat balance (with a steady power creep) that it basically lets people with that kind of money have a fun experimental rpg that they can easily play because they can buy through all the grindy content and for the hardest content they can either flex by blowing it up easily or can do some creative bullshit using mid tier characters. In the one I currently play, Granblue Fantasy, that game can be more complicated than most games I've played in the last 5 or so years if you really want it to be. So if you're a fairly rich or really well off person who likes video games, but doesn't have a fuck load of time to invest in an actual mmo or other deep complex game to know if you'll like it, gacha is a good sort of replacement because you can understand a gacha pretty quickly especially when it is new. Not that I don't acknowledge that obviously some actually gambling addicted people ruin their financials over gambling in gacha, but I've also met people that don't do that and they more often then not embody the "whale" tag that most people talk about when it comes to this topic.

They're usually fairly decent people who are mostly in control of themselves and have enough understanding of what is going on, they just kind of don't care because they have money to burn. They're like anyone who makes crazy amounts of money and spends it on weird or impractical stuff.

So I don't think that really works either unless you want to try and apply some percentage of their income to this diagnosis, just spending a ton of money is too vague, and even then that would more closely be tied to uncontrolled gambling addiction to it while WoW/Korean mmo hardcore grinders who nearly or actually kill themselves by not getting off a chair for a week would be a real example of a "gaming" addiction because what other thing could you categorize to that?

I have a problem with this whole classification thing; What changes?
You might classify "gaming addiction" as a disease, but we all know that is not actually the case, gaming addiction is not the disease itself but the product of the original "disease"
People don't get addicted to videogames out of the blue, something pushes a person to end up spending 12 hours a day playing a game instead of doing anything else be it social problems, existential problems, depression or whatever else is fucking the person up.
It is counterproductive to list "gaming addiction" as a disease, it is a symptom of something greater.
I mean we can say the same about any other addiction. People have cribbling gambling addictions to get away from their problems same with drinking themselves into a coma. So an addiction can still exist with gaming, it could be escapism or a power fantasy as in an MMO you're generally this hero in a big wide world who defeats X big bad dude or dragon or whatever. I think if you go to the hospital because you forgot to eat for a week or more because you were too busy grinding in a korean mmo, I'm pretty sure you got some kind of problem with gaming.

dreamworks face

Model bugman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have similar reservations about classifying drug/alcohol/gambling addiction as a disease. The concept of addiction belies the concept of agency - ultimately, everyone is free to not play games, not drink, not do drugs, but they choose to do so because it gives them pleasure. That said, it's ultimately unproductive to yell and scream at the addict, so this conceit of addiction as a disease is more a mercy to the friends and family of the addict.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
I have similar reservations about classifying drug/alcohol/gambling addiction as a disease. The concept of addiction belies the concept of agency - ultimately, everyone is free to not play games, not drink, not do drugs, but they choose to do so because it gives them pleasure. That said, it's ultimately unproductive to yell and scream at the addict, so this conceit of addiction as a disease is more a mercy to the friends and family of the addict.
Not sure about drugs and alcohol, since your body can actually go through withdrawal effects with those, there’s a reason why heavy drug addicts are closely monitored when being detoxed at in-patient care, they’re ensuring they don’t fucking die

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eh, the moment they started classifying addictions as a disease was when this shit went off the rails to begin with. Doesn't matter to me what they add to the list of addictions; the root of the problem is pretending it's a disease.
I'm of the opinion that drug addictions are a facet of mental illness or just may be a mental illness unto itself, but straight up calling it a disease akin to the bubonic plague is fucking retarded outside the context of it convincing junkies it's a bad thing to have and not normal.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, with opiate addiction, you end up in mental loops where you can't think clearly at all unless you have some opiates. You also end up with physical shit like feeling short of breath and overly exaggerated pain. Every single thing you think of loops back to "You know what could help me out with doing this? Drugs!"

That's an addiction, when you start to panic and feel like shit when you don't have it. Mental addictions can exist, where you don't feel right or get especially moody if you don't get that dopamine hit from your favorite activity, too. If you force a jogger to sit at home for a month and not get any physical activity in, they'll probably feel like shit and get anxious because they're not allowed to jog anymore. Are they addicted to jogging? Well, yeah, mentally.

The WHO are goofy as shit and this will be looked back in fifty years' time as totally gay.

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Is the cure gonna be to give all of us Gentleman Gamers our own personal Veronicas?
View attachment 772130
Is that where gamers rise up came from? Way too wordy for a meme, some redditor or SJW made it.

Stories in Korea I believe, where someone just dies or passes out in an internet cafe and needs to go to the hospital come up from time to time. THAT is an addiction when you drop dead over video games when you don't sleep for multiple days straight because you're raiding in WoW/grinding some korean mmo nearly or literally 24/7, and you just straight die in a public place and no one notices because you looked just as lifeless from a distance as when you were actually alive.
That's a pretty hardcore way to go though. I'm just wondering at the mental drive that would cause you to not eat or sleep and not even realize you aren't doing those things until you just collapse dead.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Is that where gamers rise up came from? Way too wordy for a meme, some redditor or SJW made it.
Pretty sure it’s wordy because it’s meant to resemble the incoherent ramblings of an angry autist

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
That's a pretty hardcore way to go though. I'm just wondering at the mental drive that would cause you to not eat or sleep and not even realize you aren't doing those things until you just collapse dead.
They like were under some intense concentration in whatever they were doing and mentally had blocked of the rest of reality because they got more of a high from achieving stuff in video games. Some games, especially mmos, can really encourage those habits. Korean mmos especially are super bad and still can encourage such mentality to this day, seriously the amount of hardcore grinding autism in something like Black Desert is unreal.

People play like bots in Korean mmos because Korean mmos are just designed to be super slot machine grind machines that waste your time endlessly by giving you bad versions of the best gear for weeks on end until you luck into one piece that has pretty good secondary stats. Now do it again for another month and repeat until all your gear slots are perfect, oh oops now we released an entirely new tier of gear so do it again for an entirely new set.

I can get into games like that and forget to eat, but only in a "oops I haven't eaten in nearly a day." not "oops I haven't eaten in a week.". Even then it is mostly when I get something new, not an every day thing like people who die in internet cafes steadily "evolve" into.

kuniqsX

Fuckyour/Fuckyours/Fuckyourself
kiwifarms.net
I'm waiting to see Addiction to Power and Influence over People + Deep Belief in Religion in the DSM.

Seriously, family of those MMO addicted kids will have easier time getting gov. assistance to make him stop and that's all this classification is supposed to do. When you have a guy who's not violent and is happy with wasting days in WoW and doesn't care he has no life, why do you think he needs therapy? For what exactly?

I mean, trannies, gays and assburgers started to cause more problems about putting them in forced therapy than it solved problems by putting them in, so they're no longer in the DSM (in case of aspergers, it's still there but longer the same as schizophrenia). Just takes less time and money to make them your problem instead.

Tags
None