World of Warcraft: We Wuz Pirates An Sheit -

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yea, made worse by the fact they did what they did in legion by having Mother commenting about 77 days, like the cultists and their cast bar.
In Blizzard's defense it's not really clear that they meant for 77 cycles to mean "yeah we'll have a patch in 77 days." My understanding at the time was that she was saying that it would take 77 (Azeroth) years for her to figure out what to do about Azeroth dying. Apparently the stuff you do in next patch speeds her up. Anyone who really thought that 8.2 would come out a little over a month after mythic Crucible of Storms did is borderline exceptional.

• Agree
Reactions: GenociderSyo

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Release client up on ptr so speculation is that 8.2 will drop on the 25th. (alternative is the 9th, but people think Blizzard wants to undercut FFXIV by releasing first)

There's also some talk of a level squish, which is just about the most asinine thing I have ever heard. Yes, levels don't mean all that much now that there are no spell levels or talent trees, all content scales to your level and there is heirloom gear for nearly every slot, but... there's also no reason to do a level squish. Blizzard isn't going to make it so it takes half as long to level, so the only thing that will change in any level squish is that you'll ding a lot less while you level up. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Anyone who really thought that 8.2 would come out a little over a month after mythic Crucible of Storms did is borderline exceptional.
To be fair, most people were still under the mistaken impression that Blizzard was a competent developer who could maintain a consistent product release schedule.

Finally, saw this perfect storm of autism on youtube:
peak autism.png

Smug Chuckler

Rape Joke Man
kiwifarms.net
There's also some talk of a level squish, which is just about the most asinine thing I have ever heard. Yes, levels don't mean all that much now that there are no spell levels or talent trees, all content scales to your level and there is heirloom gear for nearly every slot, but... there's also no reason to do a level squish. Blizzard isn't going to make it so it takes half as long to level, so the only thing that will change in any level squish is that you'll ding a lot less while you level up. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.
They're going to nerf the amount of levels but buff the amount of the required XP to the point that people will buy level boosts and wait another year ignoring it before fixing it again like what happened with 7.3.5.

• Horrifying
Reactions: war has changed

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
"You think you want vanilla, but you don't".
"Turns out you actually wanted it, and we see how much attention it got. Therefor, trying to keep our spines in our bodies, we won't make Classic our WoW 2.0 reboot, but instead slowly try to fade its decisions into retail wow until the two are so alike each other, but one gets major patches still."
WoW is turning into as much of a niche as any other Blizzard title is. It's there, but nobody plays it.

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
Release client up on ptr so speculation is that 8.2 will drop on the 25th. (alternative is the 9th, but people think Blizzard wants to undercut FFXIV by releasing first)
Going off of personal experience, I don’t know why they think that’ll help. Say your guild has collapsed, and you just can’t find a spot for content you want to do, or you play a class that noone really wants more than one of and you just don’t have the time to have alts, or the fact that the new traits thing they’re doing with the necklace is just blatently a shittier version of Legion’s system? What are you idiots really doing to keep people in? They apparently set up the plot for Shadowbringers like 4 years ago, while you might as well have pulled BfA out of your ass. You idiots had the gaul to announce a reskinned mobile game and accost the crowd for booing you, while the lead for 14 gets visibly ill and apologizes when a live presentation fucks up royally. Why should my 15 bucks a month go to you instead of the Japs when they very clearly GIVE MORE OF A SHIT.

• Winner
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
How do you guys feel about the greatest private server: Warmane (WoTLK, don't give me any of the weak boo-boo ass Cataclysm or beyond shit)

I like Icecrown myself because it has a reasonable acceleration rate XP(7%) /Gold/Rep/Drop rate (x3) but I think Loraeron is standard rate if you like to torture yourself. The best part is the population is super active and you don't have to be sitting idle waiting forever. Active guilds, active dungeons, generally good PvE scene at least on Icecrown.

One thing that does suck is there a queue if you have donated. But if you donate just a tiny bit, they are 100% and everything is super happy-fun-time.
I also really like that you can buy high level items with cash if you are like me and get tired of PvE and just want to hurry up and get to Max Raids and most of all: PvP.

They even have a recent change where your battlegrounds (and I think Arena as well) match-up's are based on your gear score, so you get more decent fights than facerolling on someone without gear (or even more annoyingly, vice versa)

Even being someone who comes from Everquest (some really, really good private servers for EQ too) I find the whole super enjoyable.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

A level squish is sorely needed because Blizzard is just frankly awful at continued game design. They do not do anything meaningful with levels and they really need to cut them down substantially. They do not represent anything that resembles a sane progression any more because of how neutered the game has become.

Here (currently) is WoW's level milestones.

Level 1 - You are able to create a character and choose a class. You are able to do social things as well (I.E. join and create guilds).
Level 5 - You are able to pick two professions.
Level 10 - You are able to "specialize" your character (example - becoming an "Arms" Warrior, or a "Protection" (Tank) Warrior). You receive one active ability and two passive abilities tied to your specialization and these are frequently duplicated across classes (ex multiple classes have "Protection" spec, a "Holy" spec, etc). Additionally, you are able to engage in PVP via battlegrounds at this level (but only a few, Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin). Other BGs are drip fed through levels but most of them are very similar in nature.
Level 15 - You receive 1 talent point. Dungeons/Dungeon Finder is available to you for "near-level" dungeons only. Dungeons award gear that will frequently be quickly replaced as you'll breeze through dungeons easily for the most part.
Level 20 - You can buy a ground mount and move 60% faster while mounted, with very minimal restrictions while mounted.
Level 30 - You receive 1 talent point.
Level 40 - You can upgrade your mounted speed to 100% faster and the mount will function in the same way as it previously did.
Level 45 - You receive 1 talent point.
Level 58 - "End of Vanilla Wow" - you are now able to leave the base game and go into Burning Crusade and/or WOTLK zones. They are apparently both fully scalable zones so you can do them in any order, regardless of your level. Gear levels are frequently a problem because expansion gear (even if usable by a level 58) is usually substantially better than "vanilla" 58 gear so you can still expect to be hit really hard by expansion enemies until you change a fair amount of your gear.
Level 60 - You can now upgrade your mount to fly in a number of zones. Flying mounts (when flying) are faster than ground mounts by an additive 50%. This is less restrictive now than it was previously, but you will not be able to fly in the expansion zones for the last 3 expansions without additional work. You also receive 1 talent point.
Level 70 - You can now upgrade your flying mount's speed from +150% running speed to +280% running speed.
Level 75 - You receive 1 talent point.
Level 80 - "Start of Cataclysm and Pandaria" - you can akwardly shift into the Cataclysm or Pandaria areas, and encounter the same type of gear issues you hit at 58. You can do these similarly to the Burning Crusade/WOTLK split as in any order, any area. You can now get the final mount upgrade, to +310% running speed.
Level 90 - "Start of Warlords of Draenor" - this is the first expansion you will encounter that has not been gutted and will need to be approached from beginning to end (or whenever you hit 98 and leave). You receive 1 talent point. You will be introduced to the "Garrison" system that you will never really use or reuse ever again.
Level 98 - "Start of Legion" - you can start legion at 98 and it's similar to WoD in that it has not been "streamlined" in any way. You will be introduced to the "Artifact Weapon" system which will not actually be used by you in any way as the system was removed at the end of the live expansion.
Level 100 - You recieve your final talent point.
Level 110 - "Start of BFA" - you can start the current expansion, Battle for Azeroth.
Level 120 - Arguably, the real game begins as you are now Max Level and can meaningfully participate in challenging (heroic, mythic, mythic +) dungeons, pvp (via the Arena and Rated Battleground), and Raids.

It's such a remarkably huge waste of space and it basically fucks up all kinds of game calculations by being so wasteful - considering most of these milestones are "you can do an expansion zone", "your mount goes faster", and "you get 1 of your 7 minor talent points". Not only does WoW need a level/stat squish, they really need to drastically re-evaluate how they handle old content/factions/raids and figure out a way to make them meaningful and not wasted resources. They likely need a second "Cataclysm" level event to try and make the game more engaging for sub Level 120 players.

As it stands, right now Levels 1 to 119 are "trying to get to 120" and Level 120 is "gearing up to play the game". It's really tedious and all of the band aids they've slapped on the entire leveling process have really only made it worse for players overall. They don't really go back and clean up quests/dialogue so the game becomes even more of a muddled mess story wise. The dungeons unlock through various levels but they frequently aren't worth doing as they're all very "samey" and the gear rarely matters.

Edit - To clarify what I mean, here's that same list, but I removed all of the "1 talent point", "mount speed goes up", and "new quest/xpac area".

Level 1 - You are able to create a character and choose a class. You are able to do social things as well (I.E. join and create guilds).
Level 5 - You are able to pick two professions.
Level 10 - You are able to "specialize" your character (example - becoming an "Arms" Warrior, or a "Protection" Warrior). Additionally, you are able to engage in PVP via battlegrounds at this level (but only a few, Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin). Other BGs are drip fed through levels but most of them are very similar in nature.
Level 15 - Dungeons/Dungeon Finder is available to you for "near-level" dungeons only. Dungeons award gear that will frequently be quickly replaced as you'll breeze through dungeons easily for the most part.
Level 20 - You can buy a ground mount and move 60% faster while mounted, with very minimal restrictions while mounted.
Level 60 - You can now upgrade your mount to fly in a number of zones. Flying mounts (when flying) are faster than ground mounts by an additive 50%.
Level 120 - Arguably, the real game begins as you are now Max Level and can meaningfully participate in challenging (heroic, mythic, mythic +) dungeons, pvp (via the Arena and Rated Battleground), and Raids.

This is basically the amount of content they have spread through 120 levels and six (?) expansions. Even with as little as they have, it could be streamlined even further. I don't see any reason that specialization #1 can't be picked during character creation (it lists them so new players know what's possible). I don't see any reason why they can't have PVP unlock at 15 to coincide with dungeons.

Last edited:

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Happenstance or are they really trying to undercut 14’s new xpac the week after? Bit late all things considered.
Blizzard's MO for years has been to release expacs and patches on the same day as their competitors. This is just the first time they're doing it to a more popular game.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Well, more popular by some metrics. WoW has more active players, but FF14 has far more hype.
I would not be surprised to find that FFXIV subscibers massively overtake WoW's within a month or two of Shadowbringers (the FFXIV expac) if they haven't already.

Neither company releases numbers but WoW's has been spiking really hard downwards and both are rumored to be at ~2 million as of end of 2018. WoW's hype train is dying where as FFXIV's has been turned into a rocket ship - there are tons of people joining now, even with the "pre expansion lull" happening currently.

WoW still has a much larger "Streamer" base, but most of those streamers are engaged with the WoW classic beta, as opposed to the live game. Some of them have been switching over, and I suspect more of them will if the expansion takes off.

WoW Classic, though, I think has the chance to be a sleeper hit just based on the hype it's generating and the amount of nonsense that Classic players were willing to put up with on private servers - but we'll have to wait until August to see what happens there.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
I would not be surprised to find that FFXIV subscibers massively overtake WoW's within a month or two of Shadowbringers (the FFXIV expac) if they haven't already.

. . .

WoW Classic, though, I think has the chance to be a sleeper hit just based on the hype it's generating and the amount of nonsense that Classic players were willing to put up with on private servers - but we'll have to wait until August to see what happens there.
That's not even mentioning the huge difference in paid subscriptions. WoW has been essentially free-to-play since WoD (and completely free-to-play since Legion). Everybody who plays FFXIV is paying the sub fee. That's probably why Blizz nerfed gold in BfA and are rushing to push out Classic: Classic players won't be able to pay their sub fees with WoW Tokens. Even a hundred thousand paying players in Classic will justify the minimal investment Blizz is putting into Classic.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's not even mentioning the huge difference in paid subscriptions. WoW has been essentially free-to-play since WoD (and completely free-to-play since Legion). Everybody who plays FFXIV is paying the sub fee. That's probably why Blizz nerfed gold in BfA and are rushing to push out Classic: Classic players won't be able to pay their sub fees with WoW Tokens. Even a hundred thousand paying players in Classic will justify the minimal investment Blizz is putting into Classic.
WoW can be free-to-play for an individual but someone in your region is paying 20 dollars for your month instead of 10-15. Monthly fees are absolutely not a problem for them unless they are doing something sneaky/exceptional like flooding the token market with tokens to keep the gold price low to keep people subbed at any cost.

• Winner
Reactions: DanteAlighieri

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
unless they are doing something sneaky/exceptional like flooding the token market with tokens to keep the gold price low to keep people subbed at any cost.
*taps nose*

I don't doubt there are whales who probably spend way too much on WoW Tokens, but the gold sinks in this expac and the gold-to-token conversion are so underwhelming I can't imagine its common. You'd have to drop $60 on tokens just to buy ONE of the frog mounts, and god knows how much for that auction house mount. What else is there? Mythic carries that you'd have to spend $300 - $400 on tokens to afford?

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
*taps nose*

I don't doubt there are whales who probably spend way too much on WoW Tokens, but the gold sinks in this expac and the gold-to-token conversion are so underwhelming I can't imagine its common. You'd have to drop $60 on tokens just to buy ONE of the frog mounts, and god knows how much for that auction house mount. What else is there? Mythic carries that you'd have to spend $300 - $400 on tokens to afford?
Generalizing from my raid group there are a few people that have had to sell tokens to pay for repairs/burn pots (in a 4 hour a week raiding guild that covers the first 500g of repairs a raid night and provides cauldron/feasts, I might add). But they are pretty much raid logging.

Anyway, never underestimate the whales and their need to flaunt pixels.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino