World of Warcraft: We Wuz Pirates An Sheit -

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I hope all of that is true because it would be the end of Blizzard.
It's probably a troll, but a lot of it is already demonstrably true.

Hearthstone, Starcraft, Diablo are all in major trouble. You don't need to be a Blizzard insider to know this.
World of Warcraft is in major trouble, this too is known. I can't imagine they're all FFXIV fans, but some of the (former, at least) WoW devs also played FFXIV. One of the old raid designers wrote some breakdowns on FFXIV raids as a player/developer. Conversely, the FFXIV team has some deep respect for World of Warcraft/Everquest and has mentioned that in several interviews.
Overwatch is not in major trouble, but it isn't in a great place. They have balance and gameplay issues, and the e-sports side of it isn't technically dying, because it was never alive - but it's still worthless nonetheless.

The only reason I would imagine it's not a Blizz employee is because none of that seems like anything unpredictable and if you're working for blizzard and making fun of all the failures there's no chance you would forget Heart of the Storm.

• Agree
Reactions: Smug Chuckler

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
Classic, one day: *predictably goes up in flames*

Blizzard, doing damage control the very next day: THRALL IS GAY
He’s married and has kids though.

It's probably a troll, but a lot of it is already demonstrably true.

Hearthstone, Starcraft, Diablo are all in major trouble. You don't need to be a Blizzard insider to know this.
World of Warcraft is in major trouble, this too is known. I can't imagine they're all FFXIV fans, but some of the (former, at least) WoW devs also played FFXIV. One of the old raid designers wrote some breakdowns on FFXIV raids as a player/developer. Conversely, the FFXIV team has some deep respect for World of Warcraft/Everquest and has mentioned that in several interviews.
Overwatch is not in major trouble, but it isn't in a great place. They have balance and gameplay issues, and the e-sports side of it isn't technically dying, because it was never alive - but it's still worthless nonetheless.

The only reason I would imagine it's not a Blizz employee is because none of that seems like anything unpredictable and if you're working for blizzard and making fun of all the failures there's no chance you would forget Heart of the Storm.
What were the raid designer’s thoughts? I’m looking to get into 14 raiding after burning out of WoW while still liking the idea, and that would provide some interesting insight; especially when FFIV mandates no mods while WoW basically hasn’t functioned without them since Wrath. That’s another thying now that I think about it. I hate WoW’s unmodded UI. How do people get by without elvui and how have they not baked something resembling dbm into the game?
Weakauras as well to a much lesser extent.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Orkeosaurus

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
He’s married and has kids though.

What were the raid designer’s thoughts? I’m looking to get into 14 raiding after burning out of WoW while still liking the idea, and that would provide some interesting insight; especially when FFIV mandates no mods while WoW basically hasn’t functioned without them since Wrath. That’s another thying now that I think about it. I hate WoW’s unmodded UI. How do people get by without elvui and how have they not baked something resembling dbm into the game?
Weakauras as well to a much lesser extent.
To shorten it, the main takeaways are "they do a lot of really smart things, they use the same warning markers in solo content, dungeon content, and raid content so the player spends less time wondering how a mechanic works and more time being able to react to the mechanic and not needing a journal/external mod for it. Additionally, the boss attacks (in particular the wipe ones) are much more cinematic and engaging".

He has a blog over http://pedrothedagger.blogspot.com/2016/03/raid-boss-dissection-ffxiv-thordan.html and on tumblr, although in 2019 he is no longer a blizzard employee.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
There's also some talk of a level squish, which is just about the most asinine thing I have ever heard. Yes, levels don't mean all that much now that there are no spell levels or talent trees, all content scales to your level and there is heirloom gear for nearly every slot, but... there's also no reason to do a level squish. Blizzard isn't going to make it so it takes half as long to level, so the only thing that will change in any level squish is that you'll ding a lot less while you level up. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.
Level squish is relevant in how players level with one another in groups and how pvp targets identify one another. If 120 was squished down to 60 again and every level is just twice as long to ding, that's one thing. But you're now able to group with a range of other differently-levelled players twice as large and relevantly world PVP with players from doubly-large pool of level ranges.

What were the raid designer’s thoughts? I’m looking to get into 14 raiding after burning out of WoW while still liking the idea,
FF14 raiding is babymode compared to WoW. It's significantly easier and the encounters are a lot less complex than WoW's. Which is probably a good thing, depending on your tastes. Pandaria raiding was the sweet spot for me mechanically, things have gotten overly complex since then and even within Pandaria there was some overdone bullshit like the combo dancing tanks had to do to dodge the Twin Emps attacks in Mogu'shan Vaults, or some of the Seige of Org fights. In BFA, I am pretty sick of Rastakhan and Blockade mechanically. They're not fun, they're a chore of Diner-Dash tier macro micro management.

Just check some videos on youtube for fights in FF14, you'll probably grasp them pretty quickly and come to a conclusion easily if it's for you or not.

Last edited:

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
overdone bullshit like the combo dancing tanks had to do to dodge the Twin Emps attacks in Mogu'shan Vaults
I loved that fight. The mechanic actually rewarded skill instead of merely punishing failure. It also gave the tank something to do besides picking up adds and hitting taunt every ~30 seconds. One good mechanic is so much more enjoyable than having to deal with ten mediocre mechanics jammed together.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Level squish is relevant in how players level with one another in groups and how pvp targets identify one another. If 120 was squished down to 60 again and every level is just twice as long to ding, that's one thing. But you're now able to group with a range of other differently-levelled players twice as large and relevantly world PVP with players from doubly-large pool of level ranges.
That's assuming the levels have a consistent power level, though. The power levels surge in different intervals currently, as well, as they haven't been consistent. Last I checked it was 58/60, 80, 85, 98, 100, 109 (in some cases), 110, and 120.

For world PVP it means you don't have a lot of consistency in targeting currently. It's not a bad idea in the current game for a level 45 to try and take on a level 47, but it's a horrendous idea for a level 57 to try and take on a level 60, or a level 83 to take on an 85, and so on. Additionally, I'm not sure world PVP is a major concern of theirs, considering a number of changes they have made. My understanding is that all other (instanced) PVP removes the characters level from all equations so level 11s no longer get obliterated by level 19s and so forth.

A level squish gives them a chance (if they do it correctly) by making the levels have a consistent meaning. Understandably, they would probably want to keep the power jump players get at max level, as that's kind of the point of the game, but there's no reason to have as much inconsistency as they've created. They can also go back and re-assign dungeons per level since they no longer have to cover as many levels and can eliminate some of the gaps that currently exist in the dungeon curve as well.

There are a ton of challenges for sure, but if I were doing the squish I would do level 25 as the max "vanilla" level, and then 5 levels per expansion to get back to 60. And then just keep it consistent as 5 levels per expansion.

They really need more than a squish, though - they really need to find a way to re-incorporate a lot of the systems they have into the game back into it and come up with a design process that doesn't basically invalidate all of an expansions content two weeks after the new one launches. WoW has tons and tons of "dead" content that most people have no reason to do and all of the changes they make seem to make even more dead content.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
Level squish may affect transmoggers and mount farmrs though unsure how they would handle that
probably no worse than stat squish. Generally old content gets nerfed to steamroll, unless it's relevant again like Timewalking Black Temple(fucking Illidan is still a 22 minute fight!)

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Level squish may affect transmoggers and mount farmrs though unsure how they would handle that
They would just adjust the item level of the items in question down to the correct level. For farming they would just scale the stats down to numbers in line with the challenge they want it to present.

The WoW levels (and all RPG levels) are supposed to be somewhat linear.

If you're level 1 and do 2 damage to another level 1 creature, and that creature has 10 HP, you've done 20% damage do it.
If you're level 1,000 and do 2,000,000 damage to another level 1,000 creature that has 10,000,000 HP, you've still done 20% damage to it.

It's all pretty basic math that they went out of their way to complicate by having several different "power jump" levels and never going back to smooth them out. All of the power jump levels are also exponential, so if 5,000 HP was a "lot" at 60, they go all the way up to 20k at 70, then ~100k at 80, ~400k at 85 and so on until the numbers become absurd Diablo 3 style numbers.

Honestly, considering that transmog farming is so boring they really should revisit those items as a whole - instead of forcing players to solo run through a dungeon by themselves.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Patch notes are out.

Mythic Keystone Dungeon Updates

• King’s Rest
    • Enemy Forces requirements increased by 10%.
  • Shrine of the Storm
    • Enemy Forces requirements increased by 5%.
  • Tol Dagor
    • Enemy Forces requirements increased by 15%.
  • Waycrest Manor
    • Enemy Forces requirements increased by 5%.
Looking forward to spending more time killing trash!

Hellfire Citadel

• Hellfire Assault
    • The damage that Hellfire Reinforcements and Felfire-Imbued Siege Vehicles inflict to the Hellfire Cannons has been massively reduced for characters with a level of 104 or greater on all raid difficulties.
    • The number of Felfire Munitions required to defeat the encounter has been reduced to 5 for characters with a level of 104 or greater on all raid difficulties.
Hellfire Citadel is now more easily soloable. About fucking time.

• Enlistment Bonus
    • Now rewards 50% more Azerite Power for participating in Random Battlegrounds and Epic Battlegrounds.
      • Developers’ note: Battleground queue times become exceedingly long when one faction has more people queuing than the other. When queue times exceed a certain threshold, Mercenary Mode becomes available for the faction with long queue times and the Enlistment Bonus becomes available for the less represented faction. Now, the Enlistment Bonus will increase the amount of Azerite Power from Random Battlegrounds and Random Epic Battlegrounds by 50%.
In addition to bonus honor or replacing bonus honor? I'd rather have the honor than worthless expansion currency, thank you very much.

Smug Chuckler

Rape Joke Man
kiwifarms.net
New zones are a bit underwhelming but it was great be to flying with a jetpack and watching people rage over a broken platforming world quest.

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
Did elvui or he game proper make its icons smaller? I logged out for a week because fuck it, FF14 is better and everything looks weird after I updated my mods. Also, the new area seems really boring.

Orkeosaurus

kiwifarms.net
Mechagon is such a goddamn useless addition to the game. I know that adding new islands to the game is far from a new thing but they just add a big ass island right off the coast of Kul Tiras, and apparently nobody knew about it. The models for mechagon gnomes are creepy as hell too. I can't believe they're (supposedly) going to be a new allied race.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Its really remarkable how beautifully designed the Timeless Isle was compared to Mechagon. The Timeless Isle had a flow to it and you always knew where you were and where you were going. On Mechagon I'm constantly hitting "m" because all the fucking trash piles look alike and there's no thoughtfulness to the layout.

Honestly, I'm just sick of running into shit on the ground when I'm running around BfA zones. A year into the expac and I still can't reliably clear the bridge jump in Boralus. Its like they designed everything to be as annoying as possible to navigate.

• Agree
Reactions: Orkeosaurus
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino