World of Warcraft -

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate how much of the story is told through mediums that aren't the fucking game. Because I'm totally going to buy books that will get retconned in a year anyway, with shitty fanfic tier writing and an autistic storyline that uses the most overdone and basic fantasy tropes ever.

Though the goblin/gnome anachronisms are the funniest shit ever, I think if the cartoon aesthetic was ever dumped it could be pretty amazing stuff.
Halo did it for some time, to the point that Halo 5: Guardians was so reliant on you having read the additional fiction that you were dropped in what felt like an alternate reality compared to where the previous instalment left off.

Ultimately, it's a very bad choice to tether your video game's plot to novels, comic books and the like. They should only provide additional fluff that expands the story for those who want to delve further into the universe. Making it so that the next video game in the series only makes sense if you CONSOOM EXTRA PRODUCT is just wrong.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they made it a cutscene or quest chain or even just a YouTube video that would be better and easier for them to tell the story.

If they made it a cutscene or quest chain or even just a YouTube video that would be better and easier for them to tell the story.
Yeah but do we really need a Cutscene or Quest chain dedicated to "Anduin Wynn comforts his dying servant." or "Varian Wynn spends 5 Minutes Trolling Genn Greymane before saying no to the Worgen joining the Alliance."

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
I'm unimpressed by what has been shown of Shadowlands so far, and downright angry at the absolute bullshit that is the level squish. The power reset each expansion is awful, especially since the move to "borrowed" power, but now even leveling characters is pointless because they'll just reset the levels every fucking expac going forward.

Fuck this game.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I'm unimpressed by what has been shown of Shadowlands so far, and downright angry at the absolute bullshit that is the level squish. The power reset each expansion is awful, especially since the move to "borrowed" power, but now even leveling characters is pointless because they'll just reset the levels every fucking expac going forward.

Fuck this game.
I like the idea of a level squish, but holy fuck does it even sound retarded the way they're doing it. It's something they need to do but it's something they shouldn't have needed to do and something they really should work out a way to never do again.

Every Level Matters is a great idea, but having one talent point per 5 levels sounds like a horrible waste. Having characters get abilities they aren't going to use every level is just bar bloat - is there a reason a mage would drastically need Blizzard, Arcane Explosion, and Flame Strike when they'll all be reduced (potientially) to the "do AOE" buttons?

Is there a reason to start it at level 60 instead of 30? Is there a drastic reason to keep expansions to +10 levels instead of +5?

It's all so baffling - why they would put themselves in this position and not think "we should do things to not put outselves in this position again in the future"?

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Every Level Matters is a great idea
Every Level Already Matters because your stats go up every level. That's why level squish people are so retarded. Blizzard is punishing long-time players to court theoretical new players who are theoretically turned off by basic RPG elements like stats. Let me ask you a question: When you started playing WoW, how did you react when your character leveled up? Were you like, "ugh, my character is stronger now than he was before. What a lame game!" No, of course not. Nobody reacts to a level up like that. So why does blizzard and 'every level matters' tards assume that they do?

Not to mention: Blizzard doesn't seem to have a problem just giving you stats for 90% of your neck levels, but OH MY GOD if you just gain stats on character levels then suddenly :tyceknife: "eVerY LEveL DoEsN'T MaTteR."

tl;dr kill yourself

Reactions: That Chris Guy

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Every Level Already Matters because your stats go up every level. That's why level squish people are so retarded. Blizzard is punishing long-time players to court theoretical new players who are theoretically turned off by basic RPG elements like stats. Let me ask you a question: When you started playing WoW, how did you react when your character leveled up? Were you like, "ugh, my character is stronger now than he was before. What a lame game!" No, of course not. Nobody reacts to a level up like that. So why does blizzard and 'every level matters' tards assume that they do?

Not to mention: Blizzard doesn't seem to have a problem just giving you stats for 90% of your neck levels, but OH MY GOD if you just gain stats on character levels then suddenly :tyceknife: "eVerY LEveL DoEsN'T MaTteR."

tl;dr kill yourself
When I leveled it was very much a "who gives a fuck" moment as it was very rare for the level to actually matter. I could give a fuck about getting "+1 STR, 1 AGI" at level 13 because my gear had me sitting in hundreds or thousands of STR points and they made it so AGI isn't factored into any calculations or gear. Every level that wasn't the final level was just another notch on the path to ((MAX LEVEL)) where the game actually started.

There's only like 4-10 interesting/core abilities per spec - and a lot of them are "build resource", "spend resource", "button that is usable only in specific condition". These are also dragged out for 110 levels.

I actually liked stats but they were removed from WoW way before now - they homogenized all gear to be the same - "(MAIN STAT) + 9,000, STAMINA + 10,000, SUBSTAT #1 + 5,000, SUBSTAT #2 +5,000". There's not much high level decision making to be made there and there's no point pretending there is, it's just about getting your Item Level as high as possible and that ship sailed years ago.

Every level very much doesn't matter and the game could currently have 10 levels as far as anyone gives a shit.

• Agree
Reactions: Lammy and Alodar

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
My biggest gripe with the game was -x-forging. Having a chance for an item to drop at a higher ilvl sounds nice in theory, but in practice it just cheapens the increased rewards from more difficulty content. It makes the game infinitely grindier as you endlessly run lower level content and pray to RNGesus for a 30 point upgrade whenever something drops, and the Corruption mechanic that replaced it is even more obnoxious; instead of having a chance to get a higher level item content that should not drop it, you now have a chance to get punished for getting lucky before you've done enough grinding. I know Asmongold isn't always held in the highest regard, but he was right on the money when he called the forging system a fucking skinner box.

• Feels
Reactions: Smug Chuckler

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fortunately they're phasing out war/titanforging as started in 8.3.

I do have a warforged mythic Ashvane's Razor Coral at 450 so it's as BiS as it can possibly be, but removing the RNG on RNG of warforging is a good thing.

Smug Chuckler

Youtube Intellectual
kiwifarms.net
Fortunately they're phasing out war/titanforging as started in 8.3.

I do have a warforged mythic Ashvane's Razor Coral at 450 so it's as BiS as it can possibly be, but removing the RNG on RNG of warforging is a good thing.
It wasn't the first time, remember Elisandre's trinket that reduced your CD's?

• DRINK!
Reactions: DanteAlighieri

DrearyDoomguy

Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.
kiwifarms.net
I think that part of the reason that they're resetting to 60 is an attempt to cast Shadowlands as a soft-reboot of the franchise. I remember reading imageboard rumors that suggested Blizzard intended to put the WoW classic team in charge of retail if it did well enough, and in a lot of ways this fits with those rumors. I think ultimately the level squish, along with the return of multiple spells you don't necessarily need, are an attempt to recreate the feel of classic in a modern incarnation. Conduits have the potential to bring back some of the complexity of the talent system that allows for more granular role specialization. No idea how well it will work, but it certainly seems to be generating a bit of buzz in the Twitch/Youtube based WoW community.

Dave.

Damn wypipo
kiwifarms.net
I think that part of the reason that they're resetting to 60 is an attempt to cast Shadowlands as a soft-reboot of the franchise. I remember reading imageboard rumors that suggested Blizzard intended to put the WoW classic team in charge of retail if it did well enough, and in a lot of ways this fits with those rumors. I think ultimately the level squish, along with the return of multiple spells you don't necessarily need, are an attempt to recreate the feel of classic in a modern incarnation. Conduits have the potential to bring back some of the complexity of the talent system that allows for more granular role specialization. No idea how well it will work, but it certainly seems to be generating a bit of buzz in the Twitch/Youtube based WoW community.
I don't blame Blizzard for this per say (I more blame the twitch charlatans like Asmonbald), but people forget vanilla wow when it first came out was an experiment. Yes, some spells were useless, but the reason for that was because Blizzard wasn't sure what direction or skills worked in relation with the class mechanics. Warlock was a bloated class with niche skills, but blizzard was experimenting at the time and didn't know what would work or how players would play as them when the game first released. The people who say WoW classic was hard because of spell bloat have no fucking idea what they're talking about and I wish they'd shut their mouths.

Tags
None