World of Warcraft -

I think that part of the reason that they're resetting to 60 is an attempt to cast Shadowlands as a soft-reboot of the franchise
No they are doing it because of the 120 levels that exist currently only about 40 of them mean anything. If you think The level squish is a dumb idea you are a moron addicted to skinnerbox dinging. Level 60+ feels absolutely abysmal to go through for everyone.

Oh boy, pandering to the trannies. That's what we need in video games.
I don't even understand what they are trying to go for with the character.

Trannies think they are "X Gender in spirit" if that is true..wouldn't this person show up as whatever gender they actually "feel" they are since everyone in the shadowlands are fucking ghosts anyways?

Longcat

Feline of Extraordinary Length
kiwifarms.net
New customisation options are what’s getting me hyped (since I like playing virtual dress up), honestly anything is better than BFA though. I gave up once the Mechagon and Nazjatar content released.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm sort of mad as a druid main that the unpruing is passing us by. Balance gets real starfall back and Resto gets nourish and they both get roar. Everyone gets cyclone which is nice for pvp but incredibly niche for pve but I'm sure that MDI will get it nerfed into the ground anyway. Also bear can't cast it in combat because only monks and paladins get to do that. They still aren't undoing the affinity mechanic where you can't do most of the things any other spec can do *and* you have 3 rows of utility talents instead of the 2 that every other class gets. Feral and Resto still have decent talent choices but Balance and Guardian talents remain irrelevant dogshit. The druid covenants are all fucking bad (with the 3 minute CD one being the least bad, although it has the inexplicable downside that if you can't cast during it because mechanics you get CC'd and take extra damage and lose the CD also because fuck you) although the covenant talent trees might fix that. In fact, the soulbinds and legendaries are the only thing that will keep Balance out of the gutter so it sounds like it's going to be BFA 2.0. At least getting a good legendary seems like it will be less cancer then getting 3 streaking stars and one arcane pulsar on my azerite or it's always a downgrade.

On the World of Fashion side at least now we can select our cat/bear appearance at the barber shop and it happens across specs so now I can be a Glyph of Stars Balance druid that turns into a neon bear/neon cat when I feel like it.

Lammy

lamb with a burger of ham
kiwifarms.net
No they are doing it because of the 120 levels that exist currently only about 40 of them mean anything. If you think The level squish is a dumb idea you are a moron addicted to skinnerbox dinging. Level 60+ feels absolutely abysmal to go through for everyone.
The only actual effect of the level squish is making levelling shorter so the endgame (which is, 99.9999% of the game in an MMO) is much more easily accessible by new players and alts. Any sort of "every level matters" or "number readability" is just a nice mental side effect of making it so getting the part of the game that actually matters for a new player doesn't take 100+ hours. Level boosts sort of tried a different form of that, but it was obviously a terrible idea since it just resulted in new players having no clue what's going on after using one.

The power reset each expansion is awful, especially since the move to "borrowed" power, but now even leveling characters is pointless because they'll just reset the levels every fucking expac going forward.
This has been a thing since 2006, I'm not sure why you're suddenly just now realizing and being upset about it 14 years later. The only thing that's really changed is the existence of "borrowed power" systems, but I can't really see why that's so different from losing overpowered items in the past (tier, trinkets, legendaries) going into a new expansion (or in some cases, even just a new tier).

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
This has been a thing since 2006, I'm not sure why you're suddenly just now realizing and being upset about it 14 years later. The only thing that's really changed is the existence of "borrowed power" systems, but I can't really see why that's so different from losing overpowered items in the past (tier, trinkets, legendaries) going into a new expansion (or in some cases, even just a new tier).
There's nothing sudden about it. I've always bitched about ability pruning, and that's essentially what borrowed power is. You have abilities and skills that only last for an expansion before they're phased out, leaving most classes feeling undercooked at the beginning of every new expansion. There's a stark difference between feeling weaker because of a gear downgrade and feeling weaker because you lost a chunk of your most useful abilities. There's nothing fun about being constantly frustrated because you can't dispel enemies anymore, or you lost your interrupt, or a flavorful spell has been taken away.

I know shills are gonna shill, but losing a ton of abilities on top of being weakened by gear inflation is not fun. Also, lol at pretending like all these bad design decisions are justified because of some imaginary new playerbase that was just waiting for every class to be nerfed into oblivion to start playing. Stop being fooled by Blizzard's bullshit PR.

The only actual effect of the level squish is making levelling shorter so the endgame
They made the choice to tune it to be faster, but they could have left the amount of time it takes to get from 1-60 the same as 1-120 and it still would have been a better experience.

Any sort of "every level matters"
If they were just cutting out the Wod/Legion/BFA levels I would agree because that is really when levels stopped mattering entirely, that is when the Perks that were removed every expansion began to appear. Shadowlands 50-60 is still going to feel really bad post Shadowlands, A massively bloated leveling experience is unfun for everyone. It isn't fun for people who have leveled before (this is why Heirlooms gave bonus XP) and it isn't fun for new players because "leveling" is really just a skinner box, you get the little dopamine hit when you hit a level and unlock something.

This is why people liked the Old Talent system so much, every level having a talent point gave you a little rush as you put a point into it, even if most of the points didn't actually matter.

I've always bitched about ability pruning,
And that has made you always a retard then, ability pruning isn't a bad thing. Getting rid of powers that don't work or are completely superfluous is not a "unfun"

For instance, Dark Simulacrum for Death Knights. It was a PVP Only ability in most ways. There was about 1 fight per expansion in the 3 expansions that it existed in that it had any real use. Getting rid of it was a good thing, if you don't prune abilities and just hand out more buttons every expansion you are going to turn your game into a bloated, unplayable mess. This is why Feral Druids despite always being "ON THE TOP OF THE SIMS" tm at the start of an expansion is played by very few people.

feeling weaker because you lost a chunk of your most useful abilities.
Oh man what would you ever do leveling without Fire Nova, or Vision of Perfection.

I know shills are gonna shill,
Oh man Honka isn't mad that he lost Gary the Gargoyle, a power that never had a set bonus to it..whose only notable time as a power was the time it was replaced with a talent that took a Legendary, 4 artifact traits..a talent..and RNG to be good. Who also spent the vast majority of it's time almost being a DPS loss because it cost 60 Runic to cast and did so little damage that it wasn't worth 2 Death Coils.

He must be a Shill.

, but losing a ton of abilities on top of being weakened by gear inflation is not fun.
and in my Opinion Having a Ton of abilities that I press on cooldown and forget about 3 seconds later, that have no real game play isn't "Fun".
Apocalypse wasn't fun for me in Legion
Guardian of Azeroth wasn't fun for me in 8.2
Unholy Frenzy in MOP wasn't fun (it isn't fun in BFA for other reasons)

Also, lol at pretending like all these bad design decisions are justified because of some imaginary new playerbase that was just waiting for every class to be nerfed into oblivion to start playing. Stop being fooled by Blizzard's bullshit PR.
I don't need to be "Fooled" by Blizzards bullshit PR, because I have leveled a new character recently. The moment you hit level 80 you are almost effectively at max level, you get 2 talent tiers in 40 levels, and the amount of "power" gained in those talents are somewhat questionable depending on your class/spec.

I have been saying that they are going to need a level squish since they announced they were "Baking in" the perks from Warlords of Draenor because even back then Leveling was starting to become a real chore.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Oh man what would you ever do leveling without Fire Nova, or Vision of Perfection.
That's probably not what he was referring to.

Losing your Artifact Talents feels bad and left holes in all of the classes various kits.
Having a 2-piece or 4-piece set bonus that really makes your class "click" only for you to have to throw it away is also garbage.
Starting an expansion and getting slapped around by enemies of the same level because of gear inflation is garbage.

There's no reason to design gear in such a way where the power jump is so massive that the game borders on "unfun" until you make the jump. It's just sloppy design.

Losing your Artifact Talents feels bad and left holes in all of the classes various kits.
This is objectively not true.

The reason losing Artifacts felt so bad is because they actively nerfed baseline resource generation. That has nothing to do with getting a button you press 4 times a raid encounter.

Edit : Them trying to brute force haste being "Valuable" my making every class play bad without it doesn't help, but that is a problem independent of "Borrowed Power"

Having a 2-piece or 4-piece set bonus that really makes your class "click" only for you to have to throw it away is also garbage.
Things that have happened since Tier 1, also a thing that isn't limited to Leveling. There have been specs that were FOTM during a tier solely because of their set bonuses being absurdly powerful, who also got hit with the nerf bat and made absolutely trash when that Set Bonus was replaced.

Starting an expansion and getting slapped around by enemies of the same level because of gear inflation is garbage.
In what world have you experienced this? I've leveled through every expansion since Cataclysm with middling raid gear and have never had a singular problem "getting slapped around" by mobs.

Stab isn't angry about any actual design choices, they are only butthurt that Blizzard is taking away buttons. They have admitted this, they don't like the "borrowed power" systems because the Buttons go away eventually and they thing every class should have 20 useless abilities, they don't have an actual argument beyond "PRUNING BAD BECAUSE BUTTONS"
They haven't made an argument as to why me getting Summon Gargoyle back is a good thing beyond "it's an extra button" that I will literally press an average of 2 times a raid fight and forget exists because it will do absolutely Jank damage..because I have so many damage sources that to be "balanced" around each other each and every single fucking one of them has to hit like a wet god damn noodle.

But having so many abilities that none of them feel effective is good game design because it means "MORE SHINY BUTTONS."

Last edited:

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
This is objectively not true.

The reason losing Artifacts felt so bad is because they actively nerfed baseline resource generation. That has nothing to do with getting a button you press 4 times a raid encounter.
Right - they designed classes around "borrowed power" (the artifact weapon) and nerfed resource generation. The Artifact weapon helped a ton with resource generation (at least for me, a warrior) once it was sufficiently leveled up. However, once I lost those traits, lost the "borrowed power" I was left struggling where I was once excelling. That's the point, there's no reason for such awful design, to drop drastically in power because an expansion cycle is over.

There's really no actual reason that if those "borrowed powers" were central to my build that they couldn't have just been folded into abilities during leveling.

Edit : Them trying to brute force haste being "Valuable" my making every class play bad without it doesn't help, but that is a problem independent of "Borrowed Power"
It's still a design problem, though. A class frequently feeling like shit because of gear availability is the core problem, "borrowed power" is just the latest version of "the baffling thing they're doing that makes the game feel like full on ass at times". There were times where not having good enough gear meant your class was garbage (ex- Fury Warrior), there were times where having too good of gear meant you had major issues in earlier content (Protection specs) and there were tons of times that classes/specs just spent a whole expansion being straight garbage.

Things that have happened since Tier 1, also a thing that isn't limited to Leveling. There have been specs that were FOTM during a tier solely because of their set bonuses being absurdly powerful, who also got hit with the nerf bat and made absolutely trash when that Set Bonus was replaced.
It doesn't happen in Tier 1, unless you think shit like a 8 piece bonus of "When a rogue uses vanish, heal 500 damage" is broken. They weren't even spec based until Tier 4 and really started going off the rails in Tier 8-10. Even then, the stuff that was tier based that was really cool or class defining was really dumb to let go into the garbage for no reason, even thought they were mainly just a cool proc that could easily be converted into a talent/passive.

In what world have you experienced this? I've leveled through every expansion since Cataclysm with middling raid gear and have never had a singular problem "getting slapped around" by mobs.
Right - except not every character is hitting new content in raid gear or anything close. Realistically, the only characters hitting the new expansions in raid gear are people right at the start of the expansion - and only if that's a character they've invested enough time into to gear up. Many characters (including all new characters, leveling characters, alts) have gear much shitter than raid gear and those are the people who get blown up by even level mobs even when they weren't struggling in the previous expansion.

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anecdotally, I can confirm that every leveling experience I have ever had as moonkin goes from tagging everything within 46 yards and kiting to me reaching level cap and needing to spec into treants just in case I pull two mobs at the same time while soloing my dailies. Usually, this is a caster thing and not a melee thing though.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Realistically, the only characters hitting the new expansions in raid gear are people right at the start of the expansion - and only if that's a character they've invested enough time into to gear up. Many characters (including all new characters, leveling characters, alts) have gear much shitter than raid gear and those are the people who get blown up by even level mobs even when they weren't struggling in the previous expansion.
It's like how I came back after two years with 340 ilvl trying to do Assaults tuned for roughly 410. Even as a Demon Hunter I was getting btfo because gear scaling across raid tiers kept getting ridiculous. Going into Shadowlands my 475 DH is going to be much much stronger than he would be at 430 or 440 and the gear more relevant for longer.

Borrowed Power is a huge problem, where a class finally clicks when the right traits and the right stat stacking corruptions are owned and anything else feels so painful to play.

Dopey Cunt

Death by SNU SNU.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At least it's...somewhat contained instead of it being shoved into our faces every 2 goddamn seconds.

Tags
None