Worst Disney remake/reboot -

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
My least favorites by far are Beauty & The Beast and Maleficent ... But I think that Maleficent is the winner for my #1 worst.

Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain. She's a fabulous evil bitch in the original movie, and that's how she should be. I don't want her to be a "woman scorned turned hero". Fuck that! The movie could have been awesome with Angelina Jolie as the lead character, but they threw that potential in the garbage, unfortunately.

I also hated how the movie treated the three fairies. With Disney wanting to be all feminist and progressive these days, they should have realized that the fairies are actually THE heroes of the original movie. In the Maleficent movie, they not only make them annoying ... But they made them completely inept and idiotic. It was insulting to see that nonsense on screen.

With Beauty & The Beast, my hatred for the remake stems a lot from my love for the original movie. Maleficent was hot garbage ... But at least it was hot garbage that tried to do something different? The Beauty & The Beast Remake was one of the most cynical cash grabs I've seen from Disney thus far. They just gobbled up the original movie and vomited it out, added unnecessary bullshit to it, and somehow made a billion fucking dollars from it (which will encourage Disney to keep doing that trend with other classics ...).

The only redeeming aspect of the Beauty & The Beast remake is the beautiful "Evermore" song, but the version that's in the movie is terrible (because of the robot voice the Beast has throughout the movie). The Josh Groban version is the version to listen to, in my opinion.

In fact, if they could just get Robby Benson (the voice of The Beast in the original movie) to do a cover for it, I'd consider forgiving the remake altogether. Haha.

toilet_rainbow

like a monster truck in the nightlife
kiwifarms.net
The live action remakes are the 10s equivalent of the direct to video sequel phase. Maleficent is the worst, followed by Beauty and the Beast. Both made me cringe. Maleficent much more with how much it butchered Sleeping Beauty and Maleficent. It's a fucking mess. Beauty and the Beast is the animated movie with only some things awkwardly added in. Y'all pretty much covered my remaining thoughts on both movies.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
If I could call any of the live action remakes good, I'd say that the only honestly GOOD one is Christopher Robin ... And that's because it wasn't even a remake. It was its own new story/movie.

And I can see why people enjoyed the Cinderella remake. It was a very pretty looking movie, and the added characterization of the Prince (and even the Stepmom) was overall well-done. Don't get me wrong, I still think that there are some dumb things they added to the movie (I think that Cinderella herself was poorly done, for starters), but I can at least understand the appeal of that movie. If it had come out when I was a little girl, I probably would have loved it, to be honest.

The Jungle Book remake was ... Inoffensive (up until they changed the ending)? I saw the movie once, and I have zero desire to ever watch it again. Meh. At least it didn't piss me off though.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JambledUpWords

JambledUpWords

Thin privilege is real y’all
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I could call any of the live action remakes good, I'd say that the only honestly GOOD one is Christopher Robin ... And that's because it wasn't even a remake. It was its own new story/movie.
I really enjoyed the Christopher Robin movie. It had the charm of the books and animated versions, but it was it’s own story that wasn’t preachy and had a good message (unlike Maleificent). As you said, it wasn’t even a remake, so to me, that made it better.

Last edited:

Incognito Mood

I am in pain
kiwifarms.net
The only Disney live action remake I've ever seen is Maleficent. While the movie didn't really piss me off that much, I did find it to be pretty dumb, and because of that I have almost little to no desire to see another Disney live action remake.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Weren't there some awful 70s~80sish Parent Trap remake? Not the 00ish one with that one chick, but like still a remake of the Hayley Mills one.

toilet_rainbow

like a monster truck in the nightlife
kiwifarms.net
I thought that that Cinderella and The Jungle Book were okay, but I had no desire to rewatch them. I can see the same happening with Aladdin and The Lion King if I see them. Got no desire to watch Dumbo, even for the lulz.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Weren't there some awful 70s~80sish Parent Trap remake? Not the 00ish one with that one chick, but like still a remake of the Hayley Mills one.
I looked it up, it turns out there are three sequels to The Parent Trap that came out in the 80's, followed by the Lindsay Lohan remake in 98. There was also a horrible Olsen twins movie from the early or mid 90's that is basically the same thing but with a couple of different details.

Alto

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
What I don't understand about Maleficent is that it took one of the more vindictive and perma-evil villains in Disney's lineup and decided that the friggin' MISTRESS OF ALL EVIL was worthy of a woobie-fest. I can see there being sympathy for villains like Scar or Hades or maybe even Gaston but Maleficent? She's fine being badass and evil and using "all the powers of Hell" as she proudly announces at the climax of Sleeping Beauty before turning into a bombass dragon to kill our boring male love interest.

I've said it before but it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting had Disney decided to do a complex character study film where the villain falls from grace. Pull a "Carrie" so to speak where the main character is a sympathetic victim but certainly also a villain for how far off the edge they spiral over the course of the film.

But I guess I was stupid for thinking Disney could ever go that dark. Even what they gave us was pretty weak as it was just a typical "lover scorned" story. The killing blow was what they did to the fairies/having Maleficent be Aurora's surrogate mother.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
What I don't understand about Maleficent is that it took one of the more vindictive and perma-evil villains in Disney's lineup and decided that the friggin' MISTRESS OF ALL EVIL was worthy of a woobie-fest. I can see there being sympathy for villains like Scar or Hades or maybe even Gaston but Maleficent? She's fine being badass and evil and using "all the powers of Hell" as she proudly announces at the climax of Sleeping Beauty before turning into a bombass dragon to kill our boring male love interest.

I've said it before but it would have been a hell of a lot more interesting had Disney decided to do a complex character study film where the villain falls from grace. Pull a "Carrie" so to speak where the main character is a sympathetic victim but certainly also a villain for how far off the edge they spiral over the course of the film.

But I guess I was stupid for thinking Disney could ever go that dark. Even what they gave us was pretty weak as it was just a typical "lover scorned" story. The killing blow was what they did to the fairies/having Maleficent be Aurora's surrogate mother.
Honestly I feel it's because Maleficent is a female disney villain, and even then there were better choices that could've worked instead of her.

WatchingAllOfYou

Ceiling Cat is my soulmate
kiwifarms.net
I looked it up, it turns out there are three sequels to The Parent Trap that came out in the 80's, followed by the Lindsay Lohan remake in 98. There was also a horrible Olsen twins movie from the early or mid 90's that is basically the same thing but with a couple of different details.
And it was based on a book, which even had an anime remake.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XYZpdq
Tags
None