Worst Disney remake/reboot -

vhstape

kiwifarms.net
Maleficent is a bad movie but at least it tried to do something different, while Beauty and the Beast is a shot for shot remake which did everything worse and in most cases just badly, anything they added to the story also felt pointless filler to pad out the running time.

Much like Beauty and the Beast the 101 Dalmatians remake was also pointless shot for shot remake, however that is still better than Beauty due to no god awful auto tune singing and at least has some craftsmanship behind the animal training and sets.

Not sure if you can call the The Sorcerer's Apprentice a remake, but it falls very shot to the Fantasia segment, the music by Paul Dukas and the poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

The Jungle Book is probably the best of the live action remakes of the fully animated movies but still only a 5/10 movie. The biggest issues the movie has are the child actor who played Mowgli being a poor actor, secondly too much of the movie feels like a retrend of the original and is the least interesting part of the movie. Would compare to the Disney's 1994 remake, however I only remember this one part from it.

Alice in Wonderland, awful movie that only did well at the box office due to it being the first big 3d movie after Avatar 3d boom. While not a rehash of the animated movie, it's still a hard watch and however when watching this movie it feels more like it's Tim Burton fault than Disney's. Alice Through the Looking Glass it's already forgotten follow up, is around the same quality wise, but thankful that movie flopped so no Alice 3 will be made.

Pete's Dragon remake which sadly flopped is the best disney remake, the original Pete's Dragon is kind of bad and Disney did something weird with the remake they got David Lowery (Ghost Story/Ain't Them Bodies Saints) to direct it and seemed to have given him a lot of creative control which lead to a far more interesting movie. solid 6 or 7/10 however also seems like a movie which will bore most kids.

Been so many A Christmas Carol versions not sure if you can count the mocap as a remake, however the mocap humans are creepy as fuck.

Around the World in 80 Days has also been made into movies many of times, feels like a bad Adam Sandler movie with out Adam Sandler and a far higher budget, which it kind of is as director Frank Coraci has also only made movies for Adam Sandler outside this and something called Murdered Innocence. A waste of the talents of both Jackie Chan and Steve Coogan, also one of the biggest flops of all time only making $75 million on a $110 million production budget.

My Favorite Martian is the worst disney remake I have seen, never saw the tv show, nothing worse than a unfunny comedy.

Tron Legacy is the best disney reboot, it's just a long Daft Punk music video.

Never saw The Shaggy Dog and Freaky Friday remakes as they looked fucking shit in the first place, but if you count the straight to dvd movies 50 year later sequels as reboots you have a lot more trash. Jungle 2 Jungle is same as the shitty french version, so you can't really call that the worse if you are comparing the quality of the remake and original.

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
The Jungle Book is probably the best of the live action remakes of the fully animated movies but still only a 5/10 movie. The biggest issues the movie has are the child actor who played Mowgli being a poor actor, secondly too much of the movie feels like a retrend of the original and is the least interesting part of the movie.
What I did find hilarious about this recent remake is the decision to make Kaa female. Apparently the director wanted more female representation but Kaa is only in one scene of the entire movie :lol:

Alto

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
Freaky Friday is at least a good remake. I daresay I even like it more than the original. The comedic timing is surprisingly very funny and I like how they managed to make it a bit more modern, with some occasional 2000's cheese thrown in.

Mulan sounds absolutely DREADFUL. Removing Shang and the songs was a stupid decision and I can't see them taking the earnest female empowerment message from the animated film without pulling a stupid #YESALLMEN/#METOO bullshit where all the men are mindless jerks and Mulan lectures them about their male privilege.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Looking at Wikipedia, it seems Mulan remake is more of a retelling as it has completely different characters and will tell a different story compared to the original.
I found out reading the Wikipedia page that Mulan is based on actual Chinese legend, which I wasn't aware of before. I think it could be interesting to see if they actually adapt the story more faithfully.

The problem though is your average moviegoer is more familiar with the animated movie, and they're gonna be basing their expectations on that. Stuff like taking out I'll Make a Man Out of You is only gonna hurt it in the long run.

vhstape

kiwifarms.net
What I did find hilarious about this recent remake is the decision to make Kaa female. Apparently the director wanted more female representation but Kaa is only in one scene of the entire movie :lol:
In the netflix remake coming out the same thing is happening, note that movie started filming before the the Disney one, so the fact two movies make that decision independently of each other is super weird.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Rogue Boob

Necronomi-kin
kiwifarms.net
I grew up on the original Disney live-actions and musicals, so obviously I'm biased but

Maleficent felt like they were going for more of a Wicked thing. The cover of Once Upon A Dream at the end is delightfully creepy, but the rest of the movie... hard eh.

Cinderella wasn't too bad actually.

Haven't seen Beauty and the Beast and I never intend to. I can smell that one from here.

I also didn't see the Jungle Book remake, but that one was at least feasible for a live action treatment. It has one or two live humans in it. How the everlasting fuck do they intend to wrangle Lion King tho???

Are they just dead when it comes to original ideas Pixar can't give them?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Regarding "why Maleficent?", I'm not aware of any actual numbers but I've always gotten the impression that she's been one of the more popular Disney Villains (tm).

friedshrimp

028372n38934739473247219074
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, they're just gonna get worse from here. Aladdin and Lion King are gonna get more wokified / cultural messages (some We Wuz Wakanda bullshit I'm sure), and as for the Little Mermaid, I think Disney is going to do every single thing possible in their hands so that Ariel is liked again by feminists. Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda is attached to it...Not a good sign.

Xerxes IX

Neko Atsume cat named Sargon of Aclawed next?
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, they're just gonna get worse from here. Aladdin and Lion King are gonna get more wokified / cultural messages (some We Wuz Wakanda bullshit I'm sure), and as for the Little Mermaid, I think Disney is going to do every single thing possible in their hands so that Ariel is liked again by feminists. Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda is attached to it...Not a good sign.
Ariel's going to be changed into a "young activist" type character, mark my words. Maybe with human/fish relations becoming some weird metaphor for immigration because it's only evil reactionary fearmongering to say humans kill and eat fish.

MalWart

Lawn Mower Parts Salesman
kiwifarms.net
While I didn't totally hate the live-action Beauty & the Beast remake, they should've cast someone other than Emma Watson as Belle, or at the very least, have someone else do her singing voice. When you consider the amount of expertise most of the other stars have in regards to performing in musicals, there's no reason to cast someone who can't sing without using autotune in the lead role.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
On the topic of pointless live-action adaptations, apparently Netflix is making a live-action Cowboy Bebop.
Why? We all watched Firefly back in 2002. /snark

But seriously, I would give a live action Bebop a chance ONLY if they had the brains and decency to cast Keanu Reeves as Spike.

• Winner
Reactions: Trilby
Tags
None