Worst philosophical arguments you've seen -

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
  • Atheists that take biblical verses out of context to “own” Christians. One popular example is using Leviticus to judge modern Christianity. They forget that Christians believe in following the higher law in the New Testament. Also, you would be hard pressed to find a few Jewish people still living the laws of Leviticus.
When people of any religion argue on the basis that all of their fellow X practice in the same way as them.

Muslims like to brag about their huge numbers but in reality they don't recognize most other muslims as muslim enough. Christians like to act as though there isn't witch in burning in Africa and pope+bureacracy at the helm of their largest sect.

When religious people talk about judging people in the context of their time while also arguing for absolute morality.

"Ok, Muhammad was a pedophile but that was normal in his time"... "Yeah, this is the Sunnah, a list of sayings from the Prophet that we follow because he's a role model that should be emulated"

I'll second pascal's wager as a legitimate argument for any particular religion. Especially when the person reciting it to you has no critical thinking ability, and thus cannot even understand arguments as to why it's not the proof pascal thought it was.

I don't know if they quite count as a philosophical argument, but just about everything surrounding "Intelligent Design". Especially that it fucking worked on a lot of people...

This is just antinatalism in a nutshell. It makes no sense though. How can you enjoy the good if bad things never happen? Bad things can help you grow as a person. Not getting the job you want, getting a bad grade, getting sick and getting rejected are bad things, but they can build character. Someone can’t appreciate their health if they have never been sick. If you don’t want to experience hardship, dying is a better option. Sadly, this philosophy just leads to a lot of suicide.
I'm not sure I'd agree it makes no sense. It is internally logically consistent. But like any life philosophy it depends on some assumptions that not everyone will share. And obviously it's socially unacceptable since it goes directly against the most important part of society, the existence of people.

Is life inherently valuable? Do we not all end up dead regardless?
If you don't consider life inherently valuable, then what do you care about "appreciating health"? You can't appreciate good health without being sick, sure, you can't experience being sick if you're dead though. Who cares about building character? It's temporary anyway, will that "built up character" get you anything in the end?

You're right to say the logical outcome of the philosophy is suicide.

throwaway3

kiwifarms.net
Anyone who uses ontological arguments for the existence of god. A lot of high profile logicians and philosophers have claimed to believe the ontological argument, and it is the stupidest shit.

In short, the ontological argument goes like this:
1: It is the definition of god that he is the absolute best, like absolute perfection in all things.
2: God provably exists at least as an idea: We can talk about god and think about him, so he provably exists as an idea in our head, if not in the real world.
3: Being real is better than being an idea.
4: Thus god is real, because if he existed as only an idea, he wouldn't be the absolute best, so he must be real.

Note that this argument also proves the existence of superman, and the perfect blowjob.
This isn't the only form that the ontological argument has taken. Kurt Goedel has a more sophisticated one in higher-order modal logic (it's good), and Alvin Plantinga has a more plausible one (in propositional/first-order modal logic). The argument isn't terrible, you're just dumb :)

• Dumb
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

The Manglement

Some internet faggot
kiwifarms.net
This isn't the only form that the ontological argument has taken. Kurt Goedel has a more sophisticated one in higher-order modal logic (it's good), and Alvin Plantinga has a more plausible one (in propositional/first-order modal logic). The argument isn't terrible, you're just dumb :)
I'm aware of Godel's ontological proof. His proof isn't bad, it just requires dumb axioms so it is pointless. I'll read up on Plantinga, though.

nonvir_1984

Never amount to anything! And they were right.
kiwifarms.net
A lot of assertions are called arguments, when they are just assertions. But what tends to wind me up is an economist sperging on about this or that and then concluding with an Ought: we ought to do X.
Apart from the is / ought problem, there is nothing an economist says that can possibly lead uniquely to deciding on a plan of action. And that applies double to neo-liberal economics. They are responsible for so much misery in the world.

Yaito-Chan

Let's face it, you'll never be as rich as me.
kiwifarms.net
nce it created a paradox which escalated into the church imploding. Plus his arguement that non-believers persecute christians by existing is moronic.
Wasn't that the same book where he said that Original Sin was passed on from father to son through semen at conception?

• Informative

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
You wish the Church imploded, Julian the Apostate.
Well it did
Imperial and later monarchic support of the church kept it hiting critical mass for a long time, but his failure to reconcle the higher spiritual church with the human church is the reason europe tore itself in half. As with most religions and cultures which demand orthodoxy to an absurd degree it eventually it all turns to shit,

Good work St augustine you misrable shit. Pelgius' ideas where more life affirming, we should have stuck with him.

Feh, people drone oni about how what happened was inevitable when it's most likely down to some feisty Zorostrian poking me in the ribs. The entire religion was accidently saved by another heathen

Wasn't that the same book where he said that Original Sin was passed on from father to son through semen at conception?
I think so, but that is pretty forgivable from a cuture with a primitive grasp of biology and is reliant on sky dad for their understanding of how physics work. Considering Aristotle educated guess on reproduction is totally wrong evil spunk is pretty mild.

Last edited:

Zero Day Defense

The Wankiest.
kiwifarms.net
Well it did
Imperial and later monarchic support of the church kept it hiting critical mass for a long time, but his failure to reconcle the higher spiritual church with the human church is the reason europe tore itself in half. As with most religions and cultures which demand orthodoxy to an absurd degree it eventually it all turns to shit,

Good work St augustine you misrable shit. Pelgius' ideas where more life affirming, we should have stuck with him.
>cites the Protestant Reformation that hardly touched Eastern Christianity

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Emperor Julian

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
They base their argument on the idea that they haven't already lost decades ago. The only reason they might think that is because of the wild west internet.
Our day will come again. On the eve of the Happening Ron Paul will descend and bring about a perfect post-historical state based on the Non-Aggression Principle.

Well it did

Feh, people drone oni about how what happened was inevitable when it's most likely down to some feisty Zorostrian poking me in the ribs. The entire religion was accidently saved by another heathen

I think so, but that is pretty forgivable from a cuture with a primitive grasp of biology and is reliant on sky dad for their understanding of how physics work. Considering Aristotle educated guess on reproduction is totally wrong evil spunk is pretty mild.
Julian did nothing wrong. All praise to IVPITER OPTIMVS MAXIMVS

All slaves to mongols and turks, who cares.

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net

Augustine never really had the same influence in the Orthodox church, he always carried a lot more clout in the 'latin' world. The Orthodox church has it's own problems but his internal paradox isnt one of them.

Bob's Ghost

kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised anamnesis hasn't come up yet. That's the Platonic belief that all learning is actually remembering, and was demonstrated in this idiotic dialogue that looked like a Reddit conversation. Bertrand Russell became my favorite philospher when he completely eviscerated this in his history of western philosophy.

nonvir_1984

Never amount to anything! And they were right.
kiwifarms.net
It more the assertion that knowledge must necessarily be true. At best, it is a sufficient condition. Then there is any assertion that includes shit about white male privilege and howw that affects the truth of propositions.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino