Worst Redesigns. -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
I don't get the change to the Microsoft logo. The big bold letters would still be more legible than the new logo, wouldn't they?

I guess compared to the other logo changes this one is mostly about Big Tech's fetish for making everything look soulless and minimalist.
It's not supposed to be read, it's supposed to be instantly recognized without thinking about it.

You know what this is without thinking about it even though the logo or product name isn't even there.
zkorkaCoca-Cola_Bottle_2003.jpg

Ad-people used to have a super-boner for cutting down a logo and still have people read it in their heads. The less you could see of the logo and still go "oh, [product]" the better, it was like a sign of their advertisement campaign dominating the minds of the plebs. Like this but taken to an extreme where as little as possible can be seen.
zkorkakola.jpg

The Nike swirl is decent example of this, they don't need more than that little thing to be recognized.

ClownBrew

Drink the brew!
kiwifarms.net
I get literally MATI over how websites are nearly all designed for phones now. I don't own a phone and don't want one. So now three quarters of the internet is rendered either useless or just an exercise in annoyance just in trying to use it on a real computer...wild.

Infinite scroll is one of the worst examples. Another is how sites increasingly wall you out entirely unless you download a phone app just to visit there. Still others don't function if the user cannot swipe and tap.

Fuck this crap sideways.

deermeat

kiwifarms.net
Do Beanie Babies count? I really dislike the giant glittery "realistic" eyes of newer ones, and really every other modern plush you see in stores. I think the problem is they add way too much detail to the face.
I have to say though... I kinda like this one!

View attachment 2135926
OH Lord, yeah. I really don't like the new beanie babies. They all mostly look creepy.
Not to mention they don't feel the same either when you hold them, the ones I see in the store feel like they are mostly stuffing and the fur is greasy. Overall unpleasant.
--
I'm not that old but I feel like the kids today and what they enjoy makes me feel like I'm 50. People on YouTube are talking about what "mobile games feel nostalgic" and it's just *sigh*
The worst offender is the American animation industry. Jesus Christ. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon? It's no longer just "bad animations" anymore, it's now how they act and what they post online that makes me cringe.
Do kids really need to be caring about "pride flags" while watching Blues Clues? Do kids need to be told "not to be a racist" by a cartoon character? Or be explained racial issues while watching TV? I thought that was the parents and school's job.
huhhh.png

I can't even say this is unrelated because a lot of modern-day shitty redesigns have to do with this stuff LMAO

Cowboy Cat

yeehaw
kiwifarms.net
Do Beanie Babies count? I really dislike the giant glittery "realistic" eyes of newer ones, and really every other modern plush you see in stores. I think the problem is they add way too much detail to the face.

View attachment 2135926
I haven’t bought a beanie baby since I was a kid but damn I almost kind of want this one

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
I don't get the change to the Microsoft logo. The big bold letters would still be more legible than the new logo, wouldn't they?

I guess compared to the other logo changes this one is mostly about Big Tech's fetish for making everything look soulless and minimalist.
Several problems with that Microsoft logo. As I stated above, contemporary graphic design theory is focused on making things easy to work with at any scale and being instantly recognizable on any modern media platform.

On a tiny phone screen, for example, a detail as small as that wedge-shaped cutout on the O is going to be lost. The oldschool MICROSOFT logo will look like just another word in a sea of undifferentiated text. Having a big dumb square of squares may look unimpressive on its own, but you can spot that logo anywhere, no matter how tiny your stupid Google wristwatch or whatever happens to be.

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2135926
Re the Beanie Boos: my kids and their friends are all madly in love with the big sparkly eyes and the sparkly fur and the flippy sequin shit on the Beanie Boos. I also find them unappealing (and I was a collector back in the first wave of Beanie madness) but Ty have zeroed the fuck in on the target market here. My home is lightly infested by these sparklefucks.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net

Mal0

Contact with this SCP will turn you into a furfag
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Google ruins everything it touches:
Google.png

Chrome.jpg

I hate this new simplistic artstyle. The need to have less polygons and detail for a minimalist look is lazy and a pain on the eyes. It has no personality and is extremely bland and cooperate, which is what Google itself has become.

Also for a hit of nostalgia, the old YT app icon vs current day icon:
Youtube.jpg

Deathclaw Tiddehs

It's a thankless job, but someone has got to do it
kiwifarms.net
The Firefox logo. It embodies my hate of minimalism so perfectly. I don't even recognize the logo anymore. It's just gradient orange swirl with a purple line. Good job, I guess, on sticking with the same color palette.

1620100182311.png

The Pringles logo has also managed to get worse over time, as well. Once again, minimalism claims another victim, where details are removed and it is changed for the sake of change. I agree that the new logo looks way too close to the Monopoly man, now. They even removed the Pringles man's hair.
1620100457364.png

"It's the same picture"
1620100607479.png

BScCollateral

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2140913View attachment 2140914View attachment 2140916
Iron Man's armor having a visible nose is very off-putting, to say the least.
Supposedly, this happened because of a misunderstanding.

Originally, he had no visible nose. However, artists started slipping up, and drew his mouth and eyes too close together. Stan Lee's comment was "Where is his nose," meaning "There is no room for Tony to have a nose." And they stuck a nose on the mask instead of leaving more room for a nose.

Just an unsourced rumor, but it makes sense.