Would Amber's Channel Survive COPPA? -

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
There has been a panic going around YouTube within the past few days about a thing called COPPA. This is a law or regulation that gets updated every 10 years and was created to protect children. Now I am not super versed on it, my knowledge is still really kind of vague and I may be wrong some part of this, but the deal with it and Youtube is that Youtube seems to have used some kind of algorithm or whatever to mine data from it's youngest subscribers (children) in order to target advertising at them. This ran afoul of some kind of law, Youtube got fined, but now the FTC is poised to go after and fine any content creator whose content can even be remotely have anything that is considered 'attractive' or 'child- oriented' that is not listed as child friendly. This includes shit like a channel having games, bright colors, saying 'whatever' 'cool' and more. It does not matter if a video is tagged as not being 'kid friendly,' it will be at risk of a fine if it has anything even remotely anything that kids could like. And if one did tag something as 'kid-friendly' it may lose advertising, it will have it's comment section turned off, and it may or may not come up in 'recommended.'

This criteria appears to be incredibly vague, and any violation of it can result in a big fine. Worst case is up to $42,000 per video.

Now how all of this pertains to Amber is that she uses a lot of Snap Chat filters that make her look like a cute cartoon character. Stuff like cat ears, Teddy Bear filters and other things. Her intro is full of it. She also tried to 'educate' people about dieting in some of her videos, had a Japanese candy 'review,' plasters gay pride rainbows everywhere, talks about markers and coloring, and more.

In other words, she has a ton of stuff that may make her prime COPPA-bait.

As far, this is what I know so far, and I could be wrong about some things. This thing doesn't go into effect until January 2020, and people still have until December 9th to speak up on it.

Edit: I dont know how to insert Youtube vids, but look up "Important Update for All Creators Complying with COPPA."

Last edited:

Meat Poultry Veg

The staff of life
kiwifarms.net
I'm going out on a limb and saying yes, she would. YT is notoriously capricious in its banhammer practices. However they do trend with whatever the zeitgeist/Overton Window is on popular morality and these days obese lesbians leeching off any and everything is as quaint as grandma's pie baking adventures.

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
I looked on the updated Q&A thing under the video title I just added, and it makes it sound like that even if you listed your whole channel as not being for kids, it states that if you are in violation or abuse the listing like having something kids might 'like,' you could get in trouble.

smallmilk

good for you
kiwifarms.net
We can all atleast agree that YouTube has been getting worse and worse every year and for every one new decent feature, they fuck it up with 37 bad ones
I'm so tired of this bullshit. Doesn't YouTube already have a kid friendly app version? Keep that one ad free and family friendly, if a kid ends up on real YouTube it's the parents fault for making a machine do their job, the end.

she will be fine, no one is going to confuse her obesity related cautionary tale with a children's channel.
Agree. Honestly, gaming and art channels are at most risk here.

Mad Asshatter

My other name was Maggot
kiwifarms.net
Support.Google.com
YouTube Help

According to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:

• Children are not the primary audience, but the video is still directed to children based on the factors below.
  • Subject matter of the video (e.g. educational content for preschoolers).
  • Whether children are your intended or actual audience for the video.
  • Whether the video includes child actors or models.
  • Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
  • Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand.
  • Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
  • Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems for children.
  • Any other information you may have to help determine your video’s audience, like empirical evidence of the video’s audience.
What if my content is applicable to a wide audience, but not kids specifically?

Note
: As a creator, you know your videos and your audience best, and it is your legal responsibility to comply with COPPA and/or other applicable laws and designate your content accurately. If you fail to categorize your content correctly, there may be consequences on YouTube. Additionally, there may be legal consequences under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) or other applicable local laws.

Situation Type Deal Gorl

Fuck your feelings, nancypants
kiwifarms.net
Support.Google.com
YouTube Help

According to the FTC’s guidance on COPPA, a video is child directed (which we call “made for kids”) if:

• Children are not the primary audience, but the video is still directed to children based on the factors below.
  • Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
  • Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
  • Any other information you may have to help determine your video’s audience, like empirical evidence of the video’s audience.

Note
: As a creator, you know your videos and your audience best, and it is your legal responsibility to comply with COPPA and/or other applicable laws and designate your content accurately. If you fail to categorize your content correctly, there may be consequences on YouTube. Additionally, there may be legal consequences under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) or other applicable local laws.
Her channel isn't going to be flagged for COPPA any more than her favorite man crush Shane Dawson's will be. All the people gnashing their teeth and rending their garments about how YT sucks and "this just confirms it!" are getting their knickers in a twist over the dumbest shit.

MuuMuu Bunnylips

Whaddafuck you doin'?
kiwifarms.net
This criteria appears to be incredibly vague, and any violation of it can result in a big fine. Worst case is up to $42,000 per video.
And how are they possibly going to enforce that? Anything they'd be stupid enough to send me to threaten me with would be replied with by a video of me giving them the finger and laughing maniacally for several minutes.

Reactions: Cuck Duck

pecansandies

Season's Greasings
kiwifarms.net
in order to get fined they have to be able to prove that you were collecting information from kids. yes that whole COPPA shit is vague but literally no one is going to get fined unless they have some kind of email list/patreon/etc that specifically targets kids but whose content isn't kid friendly. And as vague as that is still, this has absolutely nothing to do with Amberlynn or her channel.

Now how all of this pertains to Amber is that she uses a lot of Snap Chat filters that make her look like a cute cartoon character. Stuff like cat ears, Teddy Bear filters and other things. Her intro is full of it. She also tried to 'educate' people about dieting in some of her videos, had a Japanese candy 'review,' plasters gay pride rainbows everywhere, talks about markers and coloring, and more
full offense @Mad Asshatter you're kind of a dipshit for thinking this

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Support.Google.com
YouTube Help

Note
That is still fucking vague. Why do they always make these things hard to understand? How hard is it to make something so easy to figure out? Especially with the whole "video includes characters or toys that appeal to children" or the animation-based rules. They realize that adults like those things too, right?

GargoyleGorl

Token SJW
kiwifarms.net
she will be fine, no one is going to confuse her obesity related cautionary tale with a children's channel.
smallmilk
The kid friendly version doesn't fully block the strange Elsa-gate type videos, they're very good at bypassing filters.
The problem, as I see it, is that all the criteria are vague and subjective, and YouTube's only as profitable as it is because they automate everything and their blessed algorithm can't tell the difference between Care Bears and Rick and Morty -- it just sees a cartoon. So, there's possibly gonna be a ton a false positives show up, which YouTube will have to review with human eyes, which will cost them a human wage -- and also be a huge pain in the ass for creators. However, while that pain in the ass might be real -- might -- and some marginal channels might get nuked, nothing that obviously isn't intended for kids is likely to face any long-term consequences.

This whole situation-type deal is a bigger problem for YouTube than for creators, so I think there's a bit of fear-mongering on YouTube's part to try to get people to overreact and self-censor anything that might look kid-friendly. This makes it easier for them to get rid of the Elsagate type of stuff and look compliant to the FTC, but also not have to invest any time, money, or effort in figuring out a way to actually filter the Elsagate type stuff from some ranting nerd with a porg stuffie in the background of his thumbnail.

clusterfuckk

Forchette! Forchette!
kiwifarms.net
Not that I think anything is going to come out of this fuckery, however I think its funny that she does hit a lot of these "rules" not intentionally, but because she is a illiterate meth child.

1) Child actors or models - Density and Beggy's nieces, nephews whoever the fuck they are
2) Animated characters or cartoon figures- Amber is a fucking cartoon character
3) Language children can understand- the way Amber talks is below most 1st graders
4) Includes stories or poems for children- Rain and Petal's eavesdrop

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino