Wuhan Coronavirus: Con-artists Megathread - One stop shopping for those who want to spend $100 on a bottle of rubbing alcohol

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
Family Dollar near my house had almost all the tp, rubbing alcohol, soap and sanitizer sold out. Only stuff for dishwashers and big bottles of name brand soap like Dawn where left and name brand to in multipacks like Charmin were left. Most likely because it's in the middle of a nigga ghetto and they're too cheap/broke to buy the real stuff. Thought surprisingly the vitamins and supplements were almost untouched. Now literally a day later and they're restocking the shelves. Panic buyers are bigger idiots than the scammers fleecing them.
It never hurts to be prepared. But the people panicking and buying up all of the shit aren't the ones who believe in preparedness. Those people have had a stock of everything they might need forever. The people who are panic buying are fucking idiots who don't take anything seriously until it becomes abundantly clear that they should have been preparing a long time ago.

Colloidal silver -- that's that shit that turns your skin blue, right?

Vitamins and supplements are mostly bullshit -- you don't really need that crap.
Yep:

blueman-TA.jpg

It's actually not a bad idea to keep a small amount of multivitamins around. If you're eating beans and rice or ramen or something every day for every meal for a month or two, you actually will start to get vitamin deficiencies. And if you aren't getting enough sunlight, same problem. Scurvy and rickets and such will really fuck you up. Now, taking one every single day is absolutely not necessary. One a week is more than enough.

horrorfan89

Master of SCARE-imonies!
kiwifarms.net
It never hurts to be prepared. But the people panicking and buying up all of the shit aren't the ones who believe in preparedness. Those people have had a stock of everything they might need forever. The people who are panic buying are fucking idiots who don't take anything seriously until it becomes abundantly clear that they should have been preparing a long time ago.

Yep:

blueman-TA.jpg

It's actually not a bad idea to keep a small amount of multivitamins around. If you're eating beans and rice or ramen or something every day for every meal for a month or two, you actually will start to get vitamin deficiencies. And if you aren't getting enough sunlight, same problem. Scurvy and rickets and such will really fuck you up. Now, taking one every single day is absolutely not necessary. One a week is more than enough.
The same people panic buying toilet paper a year ago would have laughed at prepers calling them "right wing gun nuts who were sad they didn't get to his in their little white people vaults after Obama was elected." Oh but when the all knowing all powerful media government complex says there's an emergency and tough times ahead suddenly everybodys gouging eyes over over the last can of soup one roll box tissues

JULAY

kiwifarms.net
The same people panic buying toilet paper a year ago would have laughed at prepers calling them "right wing gun nuts who were sad they didn't get to his in their little white people vaults after Obama was elected." Oh but when the all knowing all powerful media government complex says there's an emergency and tough times ahead suddenly everybodys gouging eyes over over the last can of soup one roll box tissues
I grew up in Appalachia, with Grandparents who were children of the Great Depression. The impulse to have a sufficient supply of things is something that I've always had because of my upbringing.

Over the years, I've had many, many people come into my home and ask me why I had so much food and such. My answer has always been the same, "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Most of them didn't get it at all. Those are the people clearing the shelves of toilet paper and everything else.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
The bodegas around here seem to be well stocked. For now. It seems like people are raiding the chain stores for the most part. The valuable items are usually kept behind the counter. So you can't just grab cold medicine and first aid stuff. I bet the chinese store has plenty of Tylenol. And Tide.

I really do need to brave Walmart for a few things. I seriously doubt they are out of cocoa powder. But who knows.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
A work friend had ordered a new fridge and stove that was delivered on Saturday. He noticed that in addition to the various appliances, there was a package of 12ct toilet paper. He asked the delivery guys about it and they laughed. Apparently the tp was $20. The charge to deliver it to a place about 45 minutes to an hour away from where my friend lived was $80.

So there is some dumbfuck somewhere who spent $100 on 12 rolls of toilet paper. My friend said the delivery guys were laughing and said "rich people problems".

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
God, as far as masks, everyone only focuses on the doomer medical angle of not having enough. Just wait until construction/maintenance firms run out of their n95s.
Depends on the work. For basic shit like sawdust a bandana should do. I know the safety guy would probably shit bricks over it but it's either that or shit doesn't get done. And we all know what happens when it comes to that.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
Colloidal silver -- that's that shit that turns your skin blue, right?

Vitamins and supplements are mostly bullshit -- you don't really need that crap.

A multivitamin is usually good. But unless your doctor says you have a deficiency you don't need most of this stuff. It sucks that vitamin aisles are now full of crap like horny goat weed, milk thistle, turmeric (it's a fucking condiment!), black cohosh and other useless stuff. YOu know, insted of stocking more bottles of things people actually need.

Idiot at Walgreens rang my raincheck up wrong. I ended up in his line because the manager was stuck ringing up 20 rolls of TP. So what was supposed to be free because the sale had been buy one get one free, was $7.99. Forget it. I am not going back to that store for that. I will be in line for eternity. People are just starting to buy tons of whatever now because they can't get TP or water anymore. I walked past the chinese store and as always, they had cold medicines at the food counter. Why do you think Tylenol is behind glass in a lot of neighborhoods? Because it gets stolen and sold to the chinese store.

The bodegas still have TP, medicine, water and first aid too. No one is buying it. They are flooding the one fucking retail outlet we have left instead. It's hilarious. :lol:

Also, now instead of seeing masks people are walking around with rubber gloves. :cringe:
Did they run out of masks already or did someone on Facebook tell them to use gloves instead?

Some guy was walking around talking about The Stand.

I really can't understand why these stores aren't imposing a maximum on how many rolls of TP, cases of water and whatever else is going fast that you can buy. It would solve a lot of problems. It wouldn't keep people from coming back for more later. But it would slow everything down enough to give others a chance to get some items they need. I guess limits on purchases have to be handed down by corporate.

I have to go to the store. But I cannot make the travel to good Walmart because I still feel ill. Ghetto Walmart is out of the question because it's already a madhouse when there is no pandemic. So I guess it's "nobody speaks English Aldi" and the high ass prices at Acme. I can get things like yogurt at the halal meat store. I guarantee they are still stocked. Because no one is liquidating those places. Yet.

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
They just opened a new toilet paper factory in Maine. The mask shortage is alarming, but we will, seriously, be fine on paper products.

That having been said, if your local supermarket is out in the regular paper products section and you really need something, check the seasonal aisle! The store I went to yesterday still had tons and tons of those fancy Easter/spring themed paper napkins. Inexplicably today a store near me was out of ketchup.

There's a handful of old dust masks in my pantry, NOT N95s, but I wonder if they're better than nothing? Should we give them to the hospital? I don't know.

WD-40

Spooked ya
kiwifarms.net
The FBI is warning people about new scams that have popped up during the coronavirus pandemic. These scams include:
  • Scammers are selling fake at-home test kits .
  • Scammers are offering to sell fake cures, vaccines, and medical advice related to coronavirus
  • Scammers are contacting people pretending to be doctors and hospitals that have treated a friend or relative for coronavirus and demanding payment for that treatment.

Fake-COVID-19-Test-Kits-1.jpg Fake-COVID-19-Test-Kits-2.jpg
These are fake COVID-19 test kits that were seized at LAX.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
The FBI is warning people about new scams that have popped up during the coronavirus pandemic. These scams include:

View attachment 1198703 View attachment 1198704
These are fake COVID-19 test kits that were seized at LAX.
As punishment they should be ordered to test the homeless population of San Francisco.

Instant_Pot_User

Does not own an Instant Pot™
kiwifarms.net
Also, now instead of seeing masks people are walking around with rubber gloves.
That can actually be worse than not wearing gloves. As long as you don't have a wound on your hands nothing can penetrate the skin, and you can wash your hands. You can't wash rubber gloves & normalfags are probably going to do stupid shit like eat with them on.

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
In my country, a couple of days ago, an entrepeneur has been arrested because he had won a tender to provide the Civil Protection with facemasks (the contract was worth a couple millions of euros), but he hadn't those facemasks. I suppose that his plan has been to take the money and then go abroad, but they caught him nonetheless.

LegoTugboat

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh boy, here's a fun one.

Pete Evans, a... 'celebrity chef' has been caught plugging a $15,000 AUD strobe lamp, which he says can cure Coronavirus. Pictures of him with a bootleg Eye of Sauron, and the Corona-curer below.

27026520-8206893-image-a-10_1586487043165.jpg

27026522-8206893-Pete_Evans_claims_the_lamp_pictured_contains_ingredients_to_trea-a-34_1586490597976.jpg

Unfortunately for Pete, while it's yet to be determined if it can cure Corona, it seems to have the minor side effect of causing cancer to his career, with the Theraputic Goods Administration (basically our FDA) launching an investigation, and a please explain.

In addition, the Australian Medical Association (AMA) launched one of their snarky attacks, calling it, to quote, 'a $15,000 fancy light machine'.

The machine's manufacturers have backed away from the whole thing, saying that it's not a medical device, and to follow appropriate government guidelines and advice.

I'll link to the DM vid, but I'll add in a quick warning.

IF YOU'RE EPILEPTIC OR PHOTOSENSITIVE, AVOID THIS LINK LIKE THE PLAGUE, BECAUSE THIS THING STROBES LIKE HELL.

And to where he shills the flashy light lamp.

http://archive.vn/i9uYC
http://archive.vn/DSfoR
http://archive.vn/vvbQd

Last edited:

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I’ve heard of UV for sterilization, but not a strobe light. And as far as I know UV is only good for surface stuff. I’ve always been wary about the claims that it will sterilize blankets, towels, carpets, beds,etc.

Crunchy Leaf

cronch
kiwifarms.net
That can actually be worse than not wearing gloves. As long as you don't have a wound on your hands nothing can penetrate the skin, and you can wash your hands. You can't wash rubber gloves & normalfags are probably going to do stupid shit like eat with them on.
It’s like people think you can get the disease through your skin. No, the issue is you touch your mouth and nose with your hands. Healthcare workers need gloves so they don’t have to constantly wash their hands, which can cause bleeding and thus more exposure to disease. Regular people need a mask and washing their hands when they come home.