Wuhan Coronavirus: Lockdowns, Quarantines, Cancellations -

heathercho

Original Election - DO NOT STEAL
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hoped this would axe the one world government idea.

Not the other way around.

Loans you only ever use if it is a death scenario here.
The post communist house loans were so predatory, most people know it is better to avoid all loans.

Didn't you say you would be fine with it the other day, you exceptional Hungarian Salami?

In other news - Enjoy the CCP of Perth, West Australians.
You now have drones monitoring you. You completely earned it, voting in a Labor government.

The Premier they voted in?
During his term, McGowan has worked to expand Chinese investment in Western Australia and has criticised other politicians for calling attention to human rights in China.

Nice job!

Male Idiot

Das rite!
kiwifarms.net
Didn't you say you would be fine with it the other day, you exceptional Hungarian Salami?

In other news - Enjoy the CCP of Perth, West Australians.
You now have drones monitoring you. You completely earned it, voting in a Labor government.

The Premier they voted in?

Nice job!

No I said that I would be fine if the virus killed off globalism and made sure there can never be one government .

I just worded it confusingly and you misunderstood so I corrected that.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Michigan's original order was a bit vague and required some digging to see what was and wasn't essential when Governor Whtmer first announced its implementation. For example: "Finance" was listed as an essential field. So, I initially thought our accounting office could stay open (especially with the tax deadline still being April 15 at the time). Reading further, there was fine print that said essential fields were further defined on some Federal web page/PDF file that pretty much listed banks and credit card processors as the finance areas deemed essential with little to nothing else included.

Michigan's CPA board decided to seek clarification from the Governor's Office during the past week with a statement that if the state tax deadline wasn't changing to match the new Federal due date of July 15, accounting firms needed to be deemed essential enough to remain open in some capacity because it made no sense to order them closed through April 12 while keeping an April 15 state tax deadline. The governor finally adjusted the deadline this weekend so that any federal form with a July 15 due date now has the same due date for the corresponding state form.

There's also ambiguity in how the shutdown is to be enforced under threat of $500 fine and misdemeanor charges. Even though nonessential business are to be closed, it still sounds as if it's OK for the owner or other designated person to come to the business long enough to check the daily incoming mail and phone messages provided they don't operate the business and leave as soon as they're done with their daily check-in. As someone else might have posted, all kinds of people seem all too eager to tattle on perceived scofflaws so much so the Attorney General had to tell them to call their local police andnot her office. However, local police -- in order to minimize their exposure to COVID-19 -- have been directed to avoid stopping people for minor incidents and minor traffic stops whenever possible.

Also in Michigan, golf courses, tobacco shops, and bottle returns are now officially closed as part of the shutdown.
(archive #1) (archive #2).

Oddly enough, recreational marijuana shops can stay open 🤔. However, they can't allow customers inside their stores; instead, they have to use curbside pickup or delivery to get the goods to customers.
Pot shops are open in Cali too. I assume its due to a "medicinal use" angle.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Simply tasteful. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
Pot shops are open in Cali too. I assume its due to a "medicinal use" angle.
I don't know whether pot shops in California are separated into medical use dispensaries and recreational use facilities as they seem to be here. I have no problem with medical marijuana being available because people with valid prescriptions are entitled to have access to their medicine.

However, it seems Michigan has decided that the sales and excise tax revenues on recreational (i.e. non-medical) marijuana are more important than asking those business to temporarily close down like every other business deemed non-essential by the state.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know whether pot shops in California are separated into medical use dispensaries and recreational use facilities as they seem to be here. I have no problem with medical marijuana being available because people with valid prescriptions are entitled to have access to their medicine.

However, it seems Michigan has decided that the sales and excise tax revenues on recreational (i.e. non-medical) marijuana are more important than asking those business to temporarily close down like every other business deemed non-essential by the state.
There's no distinction. Once it was legalized for recreational use in Cali the whole "official" medical use regiment ('scrip cards, etc) pretty much evaporated. And like, who are you to say it's totally not medicine for my like, claustrophobia and shit from like, hiding from corona-chan, dude? What are you, like, some kinda doctor or something, man? Pffffft.

Pargon

Hitler died, my mother also died
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

That law is only a few years old in Michigan and so dispensaries are still only located in the granola-crunching cities for the most part. Conservative parts of the state have mostly succeeded in keeping them out so far, and so while they're chasing the non-medical revenue, the justification for staying open (in that they supposedly provide medicinal treatment) is very much health-based.

For the most part I agree with it. They can't allow people into their stores, and people here can still buy as much booze as they want in the grocery. Whatever keeps people from going stir crazy.

Ebonic Tutor

"Beware the shitposting of demons."
kiwifarms.net

VA's one is kinda half-assed it's more of a suggestion from what I've seen around here. All the factories are still running (100's of cars in their parking lots) and my job still has like half the people working in the building. The EO really didn't change today, he just got on TV and bitched at people that went to the beach this weekend.

My job literally sent out an email today saying, "lol we are still coming in" pretty much.

Attachments

• 1585624712921.png
    1585624712921.png
    844.4 KB · Views: 82

Ebonic Tutor

"Beware the shitposting of demons."
kiwifarms.net
My county, and that of my job, are under stay at home orders but, despite being an unimportant job in an unimportant industry, its considered essential so off to work I go.

Should just quit.

I have a feeling the ones the put the extra effort in and try to keep showing up aren't going to see anything for putting their neck out there either.

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
I’m sorry about your situation, but why do they have sign language interpreters for all these conferences? Wouldn’t closed captioning work better?
Well, typically these briefings are presented live, and then uploaded later.

The interpreter is there on the off-chance that there are deaf people at the conference, but also because it's easier for an interpreter to translate in real time (there's typically a few second lag in between signing and what's being said, depending on the complexity of the signs) compared to someone generating closed captions in real-time. You would need to generate closed captioning in other languages on the fly as well. Deaf Americans are taught ASL regardless of whatever spoken language persists in their homes, so again, far easier for someone to just have an interpreter in the room signing. Your only issue then would be a deaf watcher not knowing ASL. Closed captioning can then be added in post-production if desired.

This of course ignoring that the video doesn't have a version presented in any other language besides English.

Last edited:

CeleryStalks

Colorful flowers, too.
kiwifarms.net
Michigan, USA

The police cannot pull someone over simply for driving during the lockdown, says Michigan Attorney General's office.
(archive)

Motor City Comic-Con is postponed. Originally scheduled for May 15-17.
(archive)

Bronners CHRISTmas Wonderland is only part of the wonderful place that is Frankenmuth, Michigan's Little Bavaria. They also have a huge waterpark, a clock tower that plays the legend of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, an exact replica of the Silent Night Chapel, and a ton of German-themed restaurants, gift shops and other tourist attractions, with frequent festivals, all of which are, of course, closed and cancelled for the forseeable future.
(archive)

Does opening up prisons count as a lockdown/cancellation?
Here in Michigan, at least, we're leaving releases to local law enforcement's discretion. This sheriff, and I should hope most others, are only releasing those who have nearly completed their sentence, the elderly and infirm, and the non-violent.
(archive)

SHUTDOWNS
Shelter-in-place order and shutdown of everything non-essential (groceries, gas stations, pharmacies, the usual) from Tuesday March 24 to Monday April 13. (archive) (executive order saved on KF). Marijuana shops are open. Tobacco shops are closed (archive). The police cannot, at present, pull drivers over simply for being out during the shutdown (archive).
The Big Three Auto manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler) are closing all factories in the USA, putting well over 150,000 workers out of work. This figure does not include workers at supplier factories, which will also be obliged to close. (archive) (archive) (archive) They will be making a small number of parts for emergency vehicles.

FREE STUFF!
Free bus rides in Detroit after drivers' strike (archive- strike) (archive - free fares)
Free access to state parks (archive)
Evictions suspended while the state of emergency lasts (archive)
Water will be turned back on for all households while the crisis lasts (archive)
State prisoners are being provided two free phone calls and two free emails a week, by the 3rd party vendors thereof (archive)

FREEDOM!
Semi-trucks carrying essential supplies can ignore seasonal road weight limits (archive)
Distilleries can make hand sanitizer without a permit (archive)
Pharmacists may prescribe 60 days of emergency medication and may substitute drugs without physicians approval in event of shortages (archive). Various other medical restrictions loosened (archive).
Driver's Ed (the classroom portion) is now available online. (archive)
All localities given more discretion to release prisoners early (archive)
Restaurants can sell food like grocery stores (archive)

Cure Milquetoast

ௌௌௌௌௌௌ
kiwifarms.net
SF Bay Area's lockdown extended to May 3rd.
I'm not too sure why they even bother with due dates at this point, especially with how many COVID-19 patients there are in the region. I'm guessing it's because of economic reasons, since they are also instituting rent freezes. Just say 'indefinitely' and pull off the bandage.

FuckedUp

Done with this autism chamber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
MA extended lock down until May 4th. Boston is spooky empty but that means it's the perfect time to slather KF stickers all over the place.

and my phone crapped out on me but no place is open to get it fixed
Shit, that's two weeks before my school's summer classes start. I was planning on taking a couple upper-level CS classes this summer but it's becoming more and more likely that at least the first session's classes will be online if not outright cancelled.

MediocreMilt

JUST
kiwifarms.net
Shit, that's two weeks before my school's summer classes start. I was planning on taking a couple upper-level CS classes this summer but it's becoming more and more likely that at least the first session's classes will be online if not outright cancelled.
Unless you're a poorfag without a computer at home, CS should be one of the easiest subjects to learn online. It's not like it's Chemistry and you won't have lab access.