Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

CeleryStalks

Colorful flowers, too.
kiwifarms.net
Michigan, USA

Detroit police captain, aged 31, dies of "complications from COVID-19". One staffer, aged 38, died previously. Of the city's 2200 officers, 18 have tested positive and 330 are quarantined.
(archive)

Michigan attorney general says the shutdown of non-essential businesses must be enforced by local police, as her office is swamped dealing with price-gougers and scammers.
(archive)

Big Brother is watching us, and he approves.
(archive)
Highlights from the article:
"a project that is using phone GPS data to track mobility... the Social Distancing Scoreboard by Unicast." (archive)
"Travel within Michigan has declined by about 45 percent, the report said. The United States is receiving a "B" for reducing travel by just less than 40 percent."

ETA: another article about enforcing the lockdown.
(archive)

TL;DR It's not going well. Lots of businesses are trying to stay open. Some people are calling the police because their neighbors are out in the yard. 911 is swamped, and local police say the executive order is too vague.
Highlight:
Mlive said:
"The order prohibits work that isn’t “necessary to sustain or protect life.” Attorney General spokesperson Kelly Rossman-McKinney said some businesses have been trying to stretch that definition, including a window replacement company. “The employer said they were essential because people need vitamin D,” she said."
SHUTDOWNS
Shelter-in-place order and shutdown of everything non-essential (groceries, gas stations, pharmacies, the usual) from Tuesday March 24 to Monday April 13. (archive) (executive order saved on KF)
The Big Three Auto manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler) are closing all factories in the USA, putting well over 150,000 workers out of work, until "at least April." This figure does not include workers at supplier factories, which will also be obliged to close. (archive) (archive) They will be making a small number of parts for emergency vehicles, and GM will be helping make ventilators (archive - ventilators)

FREE STUFF!
Free bus rides in Detroit after drivers' strike (archive- strike) (archive - free fares)
Free access to state parks (archive)
Evictions suspended while the state of emergency lasts (archive)

FREEDOM!
Semi-trucks carrying essential supplies can ignore seasonal road weight limits (archive)
Distilleries can make hand sanitizer without a permit (archive)
The city of Detroit is expediting the release of prisoners onto tether monitoring (archive)

BAD SIGNS
Corona-Chan may be about to begin her prison tour: one prisoner, currently hospitalized, is believed to have contracted the disease in said hospital. He will be kept in isolation once he is discharged from the hospital and returned to prison. (archive)
Six confirmed cases among patients and staff in Michigan psychiatric hospitals. (archive)
Detroit hospitals nearing capacity, with almost 450 Wuflu patients. (archive)
Big Brother is watching, and he approves. Massive phone-tracking project reveals Michigan travel down by 45%, compared to 40% nation-wide (archive).

LAW AND ORDER
Lansing (the capitol) police are not physically responding to minor crimes such as larceny, property damage, and break-ins to unoccupied buildings, including garages. Other police are adopting similar policies (archive). 5 9 18 Detroit police officers tested positive and 152 over 200 330 officers and 70 staff are quarantined (the Detroit Police Dept. has about 2,200 officers) (archive) (archive) (archive). One Detroit staffer is dead, age 38 (archive), and one Detroit police captain, age 31 (archive). Kalamazoo sheriff's deputy tested positive (archive).
Breaking the lockdown is a misdemeanor, punishable by $500 fines and possible jail time. Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D) has stated there will not be a "ramp up" of police enforcement (archive). The attorney general has left it to local law enforcement to close businesses, as her hands are full with price-gougers and con artists (archive).

DEATH TOLL
Michigan deaths: 26 EDIT 2: 43. (archive), plus one Ann Arbor man allegedly killed by his roommate in a Corona-related dispute (archive).

Last edited:

behavioral swamp thang

im tryna serve, nigga where the work??
kiwifarms.net
A friend of mine had to go to the ER the other day with a non-covid 19 related issue. In our Midwest USA city with a population of over 800,000, the hospital was the exact opposite of crowded. While he waited to be seen, one other patient came in. That's it. A trip that he expected to take at least 6 hours took two, and that included waiting for scan results. Not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, but it was an eyewitness observation.
My close friend is an ER doctor. She says the ER is slow, she's clocking 10-15 patients a shift, but the people who do come in are really, really sick. 250k town, lower midwest. She is limited to one mask per day. I am sewing her masks to take to work, cuz that's just gross... breathing in the same thing all day.

Arctic Fox

You won't get past my wall.
kiwifarms.net
Isn't your math off? I thought it was 2% deaths, 20% hospitalization. Thus, at 50,000 a day, it would only be 250k infections. We're set to hit that by... First or second week of April, if the curve doesn't slow down?

The bigger concern is that hospitalization takes 4+ weeks from early reports. So the hospitals will fill up LONG before the 250k daily infections hits.

What's really funny is they now want priority over the entire country for medical supplies, treatment, etc, and are having a fucking tantrum that the country isn't putting New York's needs first.

View attachment 1202633

Sorry faggots, the farmers in "flyover country" as you guys oh so love to dismissively say take priority over a bunch of assholes in an asshole + Wu Flu stew. If we don't get the farmlands back up and running in a few weeks, we're gonna suddenly need a shitload of food we won't have.
The amount of salt in her title alone is hilarious.

Flea Man Marbles

I am a pretty pork cunt!
kiwifarms.net
LMAO this is some Blair Witch-tier shit right here.
Anyways here in Flea Land, things are still somewhat ok but obviously the situation has gotten a bit more dire. More people wearing masks and gloves. TP, paper towels, powdered tard cum, and sanitizer is STILL out, along with milk and eggs (good thing I like Almond Milk). I've had a few food deliveries and sold some stuff through CL and both people arrived with gloves in hand and an as-quick-as-possible sales transaction.
I'm still working, just avoiding the public as much as I can being a sales associate and washing my hands like crazy. I'll keep y'all updated if something major happens.

Xenomorph

I'm back, FUCKERS!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was talking to someone online about the importance of not traveling to meet someone, and they accused me of wanting them to kill themselves, because not meeting that person would be detrimental to their mental health.

That is one of the most horrible arguments I have ever heard.
It's amazing how people cannot understand the gravity of this illness.
There have been 22 year old dying of respiratory distress with no other medical issues, people are dying in droves everyday, funerals are being held through livestream but yet this person is more important..we live in a modern age, fucking voicechat or some shit.
I have medical professional family members (RN's and a ER Doc) and people are dying as young as 19 from this, if they loved or cared about this person they would not wanna risk their health.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Most of the cases in Ohio are apparently in the Cleveland area. No wonder testing is lagging.
And any public testing the counties set up have been shut down to reserve testing for healthcare workers and first responders. They are standing in a football field, blinded, swinging wildly trying to hit the pinata they know is SOMEWHERE in the field. I can only hope the media present for the press conferences will begin to pressure DeWine on this issue, if they try to extend the shelter in place orders without widespread testing people are going to give the government the middle finger.

mdrop22

Not For Human Consumption
kiwifarms.net

MrBlueSocks

kiwifarms.net
This fiasco has made me think about something: were politicians always this incredibly stupid, or does obtaining political power cause you to transform into an idiot?
Well "all political lives ...end in failure" . Because you can't win all the time in a hostile world with everybody wanting something different.

But the difference between today and the past is the size and scope of the media spotlight. Politicians are expected to look sharp and in charge 24/7 . So for every issue the media cares about they are faced with a choice between: backing off, taking time to produce an intelligent informed response in due time, and spewing something spurious that sounds good right this second. They have to choose the second or they'll be ousted. Government by soundbite.
The only way round it is a leader who is so secure and/or skilled that they have the luxury of taking a strategic view.

There was media in the 60's and even the 1860's . But politicians had a day or so to plan at least.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Some news from PH, the rebels decided to declare a ceasefire.

Ukrainian quarantine has been extended until April 24th. I'm stuck in a flat with flatmates who only speak, joke and fucking talk only about corona. At least my boss brought me my work computer.

Fuck me, I used to be a shut-in and I just unlearned being a shut-in after so long. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Soon you'll start doing pushups. And go on a diet, start practicing taebo and have some abs.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
It's amazing how people cannot understand the gravity of this illness.
There have been 22 year old dying of respiratory distress with no other medical issues, people are dying in droves everyday, funerals are being held through livestream but yet this person is more important..we live in a modern age, fucking voicechat or some shit.
I have medical professional family members (RN's and a ER Doc) and people are dying as young as 19 from this, if they loved or cared about this person they would not wanna risk their health.
I know you are tied to the medical profession, but again with this "my family's friends' dog's former playmate' said THERE ARE DEAD LITTERING THE STREETS" stuff?

The number of deaths of the below 29 age groups are microscopic. Even in italy the deaths of 49 and under were below 20 when the total death toll was approaching 3000, and all of them were obese, either diabetic or suffering high blood pressure, ece. None were healthy.

There are young people with compromised immune systems and underlying conditions, I speak from personal experience, but this isnt spanish flu 2 chink bogaloo. If you do not have a compromised immune system then you have a 99.9% chance of being fine, about the same odds as regular flu seasons.
Some news from PH, the rebels decided to declare a ceasefire.

Soon you'll start doing pushups. And go on a diet, and have some abs.
You mean you havent started yet?

The Big O

Cast in the name of God, ye not sprinkles
kiwifarms.net

According to hysterical redditors, this woman was left to die by an awful huwhite paramedic because she's black and female. Paragraphs and paragraphs on racism and sexism and then

View attachment 1202678
:story:
Just reading that last sentence made my eyelid twitch from the sheer contradiction. These people are brainwashed so hard they're now smooth.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The lack of testing is a huge issue, because without testing, all the models are lacking. All we are doing is inferring number of cases from the number of people needing treatment. We need to rest for current AND past infection because without that we simply do not know what the fuck is happening. In the last few days we’ve seen all the horrific models, then a study from a group at oxford which uses the key assumption that 0.1% of cases need hospitalisation. It’s embedded in this article

“ In the most extreme scenario they estimate that if the virus had started being transmitted 38 days before the first confirmed death then 68 per cent of the UK population would have been infected by March 19.”

Please could someone archive the actual pdf of this study? It’s on this article on the archive link above, under the hyperlink text ‘Oxford study’

All the models vary widely, because they using Flawed assumptions as input. We need to know a. How many currently have the disease and b. How many have HAD it and recovered. Once we know that, we can combine with the actual clinical data and have a far more accurate picture of what’s happening. Testing is expensive on that scale, but it’s vital and compared to the cost to the economy as lives it’s pocket money.

captkrisma

kiwifarms.net
The lack of testing is a huge issue, because without testing, all the models are lacking. All we are doing is inferring number of cases from the number of people needing treatment. We need to rest for current AND past infection because without that we simply do not know what the fuck is happening. In the last few days we’ve seen all the horrific models, then a study from a group at oxford which uses the key assumption that 0.1% of cases need hospitalisation. It’s embedded in this article

“ In the most extreme scenario they estimate that if the virus had started being transmitted 38 days before the first confirmed death then 68 per cent of the UK population would have been infected by March 19.”

Please could someone archive the actual pdf of this study? It’s on this article on the archive link above, under the hyperlink text ‘Oxford study’

All the models vary widely, because they using Flawed assumptions as input. We need to know a. How many currently have the disease and b. How many have HAD it and recovered. Once we know that, we can combine with the actual clinical data and have a far more accurate picture of what’s happening. Testing is expensive on that scale, but it’s vital and compared to the cost to the economy as lives it’s pocket money.
Another issue are the groups that refuse to test outright. I've been told that the military's response to this is a 14 day quarantine and then immediate treatment if symptoms persist. They won't even bother testing because all it would do is add a tick mark to the statistics and use up a test that could be of better use to the general public. The only ones I've seen tested were guys coming in from NYC off leave and that's only about 4.

Deaths would be added to statistics, but that's after the fact. Of course, military docs being military, they prescribed one of my bubbas mucinex and aspirin.

Tags
None