Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I wonder if, after this is done, the government would pay people to get medical degrees. I would sign up for a few years of indentured servitude in exchange for a free ride through nursing school.
You can have the local hospital (usually state funded) pay for your nursing school if you stay X number of years. The problem now is that nurses need Bachelor degrees (usually in nursing) to remain employed. You can't just take a year long nursing school course/test and that's it, you need to be constantly getting education or you will be cast out.

The US is running on the edge of having not enough doctors coming into the system as the average age of doctors is slowly heading into the 50s not the 30s:

You don't want to churn out more doctors that don't have experience as you will end up with shitty doctors who don't know their asshole from their elbow.

What we will see is more Artificial Intelligence taking over the menial work that medical staff can do in diagnostic so 1 Doctor can cover more patients after the machine does it's diagnostics. You'll probably see a nurse hook you into a device and then spit out a recommendation, a doctor in some remote facility reviews the notes, approves the pills, and the patient leaves.

Technology will solve the limitation in humans not learning fast enough or taking away the tedium.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Our stay at home rules are just as strict. As for being on the brink of collapse. In the Harem Anime of Europe when someone asked Spain-chan when was the last time she wasn't depressed, she had a mental breakdown.
im not saying that spain is more competent in general, but its also not unlikely that italy failed harder in this instance.

Flea Man Marbles

I am a pretty pork cunt!
kiwifarms.net
For anyone keeping track of the Trump checks (so basically every American) and wondering how it works, this is the best, most concise article I could find that wasn't behind a paywall or adblock wall. Looks like the penalty for being poor (those who made under $2,500 were going to only get half the amount) was removed, and the checks will be based on your 2019 tax return if it has already been filed, or your 2018 return if not. Details:
$1200 for individuals
$2400 for couples
$500 for each kid in your household
This will start to phase out around $75,000 and cease entirely at $99,000 annually. People on disability, SSI or welfare will still get the same amount.
Full details to be released later tonight

The 3rd Hooligan

Shot so hard even the clone got brain damage
kiwifarms.net
Our stay at home rules are just as strict. As for being on the brink of collapse. In the Harem Anime of Europe when someone asked Spain-chan when was the last time she wasn't depressed, she had a mental breakdown.

Can someone translate? Only word I understood was "fooking"
If you ever eaten a fooking bat in china I will shove it up your cock, I cant see my best friend I cant see anyone right now, I really hate you right now.
Its not even on a fucking menu like why would you think its nice.

Also yt clip of Xi Jiping murdering scientist who leaked the virus

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
You can have the local hospital (usually state funded) pay for your nursing school if you stay X number of years. The problem now is that nurses need Bachelor degrees (usually in nursing) to remain employed. You can't just take a year long nursing school course/test and that's it, you need to be constantly getting education or you will be cast out.

The US is running on the edge of having not enough doctors coming into the system as the average age of doctors is slowly heading into the 50s not the 30s:

You don't want to churn out more doctors that don't have experience as you will end up with shitty doctors who don't know their asshole from their elbow.

What we will see is more Artificial Intelligence taking over the menial work that medical staff can do in diagnostic so 1 Doctor can cover more patients after the machine does it's diagnostics. You'll probably see a nurse hook you into a device and then spit out a recommendation, a doctor in some remote facility reviews the notes, approves the pills, and the patient leaves.

Technology will solve the limitation in humans not learning fast enough or taking away the tedium.
Sounds like a far easier method would be revoking the bachelors degree requirement to be a nurse, and mandating a lower patient/nurse ratio nationwide.

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Piping hot take: Matt Hancock’s having a dreadful war but Rishi Sunak is playing a blinder. Britfags, discuss
I've been A-logging Matt Hancock for ages. The man is a fucking idiot.

Why did a good royal have to get it? Why couldn't it have been Harry or Andrew?
Charles is not a good royal. I think if he were King he'd cause a crisis by interfering in politics (Archive) that would end the monarchy. Which sounds great until you realize we'd end up with President Blair or someone like him, i.e. an explicitly political figure who'd take positions against majority opinion. The only way the monarchy can survive is if Elizabeth can convince Charles to abdicate in favor of his son William who seems like he knows how to keep his mouth shut as Liz does. Then again these days the accelerationist view makes a certain amount of sense.

In other UK news, this is made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNv-ghdLUCU

local mirror

MrBlueSocks

kiwifarms.net

Can someone translate? Only word I understood was "fooking"
Northern accent. South Yorkshire? Not sure.

"Whoever ate that fucking bat in China, I will legit shove it up your cock,"

LOL. Can't be bothered with rest, you get the idea.
I like her. She seems stable.

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like a far easier method would be revoking the bachelors degree requirement to be a nurse, and mandating a lower patient/nurse ratio nationwide.
Uneducated nurses taking care of patients... that's how you get liability suits. Nursing ain't easy. I already deal with enough healthcare personnel doing stupid shit as it is more of them and without training? God please no.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
And where are you going to build these hospitals to staff these nurses and then hire the doctors to manage/run them and ambulance drivers to get those folks there?

Epidemics like this ebb and flow. During flu system hospitals routinely hire travel nurses from other states to come in for 2-4 months to help staffing numbers. The hospitals would rather pay someone to come in that time than pay nurses Over Time for that same period. The laws for compensation and time for employees needs to be revised.

If you want to really solve nurses problems you eliminate the need for a doctor to sign off on certain medication and have the nurses be able to subscribe and deliver that medicine on their own recognizance. Right now it goes from Patient>Nurse>Doctor>Nurse>Patient with the nurse being the middle man even though they know what the patient needs and the doctor is running around checking patients for minutes and between floors.

That or allow more virtual physicians to approve meds remotely.

There are many many bottlenecks in the system that need to be solved, more healthcare workers would help certainly.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This one?
That’s the one! Cheers, most appreciated
I remember when the requirements changed in the UK - when they went from diploma to degree and then to only degree. I don’t think it’s been a positive change. There should be a path for both. And we should bring back the nursing bursaries. Now over 50% of our new registrations are from overseas, compared to about 8-10% in the 1990s before Blair opened the borders. It’s not been good for patients in many ways. I do think nurse practitioners are great in some areas (and I have huge respect for nurses because they are at the sharp end constantly) but focusing totally on academics came at the expense of a lot of bedside manner. Mind you, cuts and pressure have done most of that...

Gustav Schuchardt

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Uneducated nurses taking care of patients... that's how you get liability suits.
If I were Trump I'd do a sort of Tort Reform (Archive) by executive order and explain that in a national emergency doctors and nurses need to be able to treat people without the fear of being sued. I suspect most people would accept this. Democrats hate tort reform though, probably because trial lawyers tend to donate to them (Archive).

Interestingly Trump did support Tort Reform prior to the current crisis in the form of a bill which will presumably not pass the House now the Dems control it.

https://web.archive.org/web/2020012...oses-new-limits-to-medical-malpractice-awards

The WaPo had an article recommending 'emergency laws, or executive orders, in every state that temporarily relax the legal standard of medical malpractice.'

https://web.archive.org/web/2020032...this-simple-change-free-up-hospital-beds-now/

There is something we can do immediately that will dramatically help hospitals free up beds and medical equipment to help those suffering from covid-19.

This proposal will save lives the minute that states and other authorities adopt it.

We are in urgent need of emergency laws, or executive orders, in every state that temporarily relax the legal standard of medical malpractice.

This is not an end-run to bring about tort reform. It is an emergency step, necessary in a national emergency, to save lives. Here’s why:

Normally, when emergency physicians admit a patient who has a small but non-trivial chance of having a serious medical problem that further testing and observation may reveal, we do not hesitate to do so.

Our rationale is twofold. First, the risk of the patient catching a hospital-acquired infection is lower than the benefit of detecting a more insidious medical problem. Second, the legal exposure is too high to do otherwise. Even if we are wrong only 1 out of every 100 or 1,000 times, the legal liability of one mistake can ruin careers and bankrupt medical practices. So, we admit.

But coronavirus has changed that calculation. If a physician is evaluating a patient who may have had a stroke, but who did not go to an emergency room until a few days later, we would normally perform a “stroke work-up” to gather more information. We get a CT scan of the brain in the ER, and in some cases, a second more detailed one with dye. We check some bloodwork and make sure that the symptoms aren’t being caused by a “stroke mimic,” such as an infection that can temporarily worsen the symptoms of a previous stroke, for instance. This all takes a few hours.

However, even in a patient whose symptoms have disappeared and who is “back to baseline,” we often admit them to an observation unit or to the hospital to complete the work-up. That usually includes an MRI and other tests, which can take up to a day or more.

But, if we are being honest, we all have come to learn that the “yield” of investigations such as the one described here is pretty low. These patients are not eligible for urgent treatments. About the best that neurologists can do is offer medications that might prevent a future stroke.

A week ago, I would have taken these steps with patients without a second thought.

If I saw a case like this now, I would feel reckless admitting such a patient. Too many other people need those beds. Times have changed.

But to let that patient go, we urgently require legal protections that permit us to discharge such patients without fear of legal ramifications.
Luckily in the UK, this is not an issue because the NHS kills loads of people a year and there's bugger all they can do about it.

In the US an executive order to temporarily relax the standard of medical practice would make sense, particularly if you deny it is tort reform by the backdoor. It also divides elite Democrats who are often lawyers or funded by lawyers from their base who are probably well aware that in the US fear of getting sued has unintended consequences in health care that, and in a crisis where the healthcare system is very likely to be overloaded, a case could be made for some sort of temporary muzzle on the lawyers. Let the Democrats wail and damage their reputation for siding with ambulance chasers over the regular folk. It's a very Trumpian move really.

Last edited:

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
That’s the one! Cheers, most appreciated

I remember when the requirements changed in the UK - when they went from diploma to degree and then to only degree. I don’t think it’s been a positive change. There should be a path for both. And we should bring back the nursing bursaries. Now over 50% of our new registrations are from overseas, compared to about 8-10% in the 1990s before Blair opened the borders. It’s not been good for patients in many ways. I do think nurse practitioners are great in some areas (and I have huge respect for nurses because they are at the sharp end constantly) but focusing totally on academics came at the expense of a lot of bedside manner. Mind you, cuts and pressure have done most of that...
The US has that already with Nurse Techs. These are like mini assistants for nurses who the menial shit for nurses (wiping ass, turning butts, getting food, etc.) and get paid far less because they dont have the nursing degree/cert. This is one of the fast track paths to becoming a nurse is to start off in this position and work toward your degree/certification.

From the nurses i've talked to the hospitals usually allow a grace period of upto 2 years to get your degree with your nursing school counting toward your 2 year degree so you are half done by the time you need to start your bachelor's.

wokelizard

kiwifarms.net
For anyone keeping track of the Trump checks (so basically every American) and wondering how it works, this is the best, most concise article I could find that wasn't behind a paywall or adblock wall. Looks like the penalty for being poor (those who made under $2,500 were going to only get half the amount) was removed, and the checks will be based on your 2019 tax return if it has already been filed, or your 2018 return if not. Details:
$1200 for individuals
$2400 for couples
$500 for each kid in your household
This will start to phase out around $75,000 and cease entirely at $99,000 annually. People on disability, SSI or welfare will still get the same amount.
Full details to be released later tonight
I wish the UK was as sensible, but the tories are terrified of anything that might look like universal basic income in case people realise it's actually a pretty sound idea. Instead, if you're employed you get 80% of your salary up to 2,500 a month, if your employer is honest and wants to do the paperwork. Otherwise, he can choose to fire you, or reduce your hours to 0 a week and not apply for the government help, and you're screwed. If you're self-employed (or fake self employed like Uber drivers) you currently get 94 a week if you fill out a load of forms. There's talk that maybe they'll start paying them based on the average income of their previous three years or bollocks like that. And if you just work for cash in hand (think buskers, casual labourers, drug dealers), you get nothing at all while forced under penalty of law not to leave your house. So that'll be nice for them, in a few weeks from now.

Honestly, they should just have given every single person a payment large enough to compensate for being deprived of the ability to earn a living. Every single person is suffering the same loss of liberty and opportunity, every single person deserves the same compensation. That just doesn't compute to the Tory mindset. It would be 'rewarding lazyness' or something.

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
I wish the UK was as sensible, but the tories are terrified of anything that might look like universal basic income in case people realise it's actually a pretty sound idea. Instead, if you're employed you get 80% of your salary up to 2,500 a month, if your employer is honest and wants to do the paperwork. Otherwise, he can choose to fire you, or reduce your hours to 0 a week and not apply for the government help, and you're screwed. If you're self-employed (or fake self employed like Uber drivers) you currently get 94 a week if you fill out a load of forms. There's talk that maybe they'll start paying them based on the average income of their previous three years or bollocks like that. And if you just work for cash in hand (think buskers, casual labourers, drug dealers), you get nothing at all while forced under penalty of law not to leave your house. So that'll be nice for them, in a few weeks from now.

Honestly, they should just have given every single person a payment large enough to compensate for being deprived of the ability to earn a living. Every single person is suffering the same loss of liberty and opportunity, every single person deserves the same compensation. That just doesn't compute to the Tory mindset. It would be 'rewarding lazyness' or something.
I mean... UBI's usefulness is debateable and it certainly allows for abuse. I made no secret of my left-leaning tendencies but at the very least it'd have to be combined with work programs. But with this kinda healthcare crisis destroying the economy, you need to unstuck that shit. If they don't pass some kinda help UK will get fucked, and so far UK has been more sensible than the EU. So... as against my nature as this may be. I'mma tell you to have some trust on your politicians for once. You brits are too cynical sometimes.

Gustav Schuchardt

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She sounds fucking manic and unused to dealing with discomfort on any level. Christ, she shrieked like a fucking 4 year old at the end.
At least you don't see the coronavirus having toddler-like tantrums on TikTok. No, it's working hard to get its RNA into cells, new viral particles made, more patients infected and the air filled with infected droplets. I mean apart from the fact it's going to kill Grandad you have to admire that at least it's not whining and it will never whine. Even if we completely exterminate it, the last viral particles will be inactivated with quiet dignity, after trying as hard as they possibly could to maximize their offspring count. To secure the existence of viral particles and a future for viral offspring.

MrBlueSocks

kiwifarms.net

That's a load of bollocks.
>every single person is suffering the same loss of liberty and opportunity, every single person deserves the same compensation

No. The money is an emergency fund so that people who used to rely on their salary to cover expenses can still cover their expenses. It's not compensation for your loss of liberty.
1- Non earner, lives on various benefits
2- lives with parents, earns minimum wage at mcdonalds
3- Has a mortgage, family, expenses

All get £2000 /month each, because of Antifa definition of 'fairness' . Insane.

Tying it to your previous amount of tax paid seems like a much fairer and simpler solution. Not perfect, but close enough.
Note, I am getting screwed by this, as I'm fake self employed and was switching occupations as all this hit. But that's the breaks. If they go to a previous year's tax model I'd be OK.

Last edited:
Tags
None