Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

AprilRains

Drowning Pumpkin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For some reason, this says a lot while also saying nothing at all.
The article said plenty. The rate of growth appears to be decelerating. As long as we keep practicing social distancing measures, there's a good chance that trend continues.

Or did you just really want to be mad and panicky?

TwinkLover6969

Boys are for pleasure women are for babies
kiwifarms.net

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I may derail slightly.

You can get a gaint ass tv at walmart for 200 bucks. a "house hold" with a few people could come up with that kinda money, and a stolen or 2nd hand vidya shit is rather cheap. Personal electronics are not really luxeries anymore.

most apartments come with a stove and a hot plate or toaster oven can work in a pinch.

But durable goods are a one time "cost" ether from a hustle or from stealing. or flipping burgers what have you.

The real issue is recuring cost for consumablies like drugs or beer or booze or what ever.

Personally I think take out or drive through still being open is fucking insane. close them as for the next 2-3 weeks.
I doubt there's a working stove in section eight housing apartments. Hood rats pull the fucking pipes out to sell.

So we're up to 50k a day infected, great! Looking at 1-3 million infected by Easter. 1 million best case, 2 likely 3 worst case.
Our numbers are jumping here because we're testing. Could there be a spike? Maybe, but there's no way to tell right now.

Thought someone might find this interesting .....

Asthma only 8% fatality? Good thing I'm not known for hitting a string of 1's on my rolls. (:_(

So my new theory is that corona chan was sent by god to destroy clown world. Like first Harvey Weinstein gets it, then Kathy Griffin, Madonna is freaking the fuck out that being rich won’t save her, and now this exceptional individual who does the corona challenge might die from the corona challenge.
This might be up there for the most exceptional choice of 2020.

Is that Madonna?! Why do they all start looking alike after a certain amount of plastic surgery?

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
diarrhea. most have diarrhea.

no time for ground report today. here's a related thing though.
Fascinating. I heard diarrhea was extremely uncommon!

I have heard so much conflicting information from extremely intelligent, well versed professionals, who at least usually, to their credit, expressed a certain degree of uncertainty in their own opinions; but this pandemic is an interesting case study on the spread of information and misinformation, the process of science on a grand scale, etc. The other day I was told by someone who should know that hydroxychloroquine ought not be taken until after a few days of sickness; now I'm hearing it's essential to have it as soon as possible after diagnosis ...

P.S. I vaguely recall the 19th century having something like a primitive ventilator, is that right, what was it called?

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
  • Agree
Reactions: Allakazam223

ADHD

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
VCU in Richmond, VA has begun removing students' belongings from their Honors dorm to make room for KungFlu patients. (Reddit thread)(Reddit thread #2) (Twitter thread). At least they're not just haphazardly throwing all their shit on the ground outside like that one Chinese university did several hundred pages ago.

VCU will be doing clinical trials of the antiviral drug remdesivir. Perhaps this is for that purpose?

EDIT: VCU has put out a response on Twitter. It's preparation for a surge of patients.
vcu.png

Last edited:

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
The article said plenty. The rate of growth appears to be decelerating. As long as we keep practicing social distancing measures, there's a good chance that trend continues.

Or did you just really want to be mad and panicky?
Not all. I just don't trust the numbers coming from China right now, and it seems that a lot of these studies have put a lot of stake in them, even though the Chinese government has been lying about all of this since day one.

Right now, I feel okay and not panicked at all about the United States' numbers, honestly. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel fantastic about them, but I'm not seeing an Italy situation around the entire country. Yes, the number of confirmed cases has blown up in the past week, but that was to be expected with the amount of testing we're doing now compared to a week ago. The death rate nationally seems to be lower considering the amount of cases, which means that curve looks like it's going to be flattened sooner than later. The biggest problem areas right now will remain to be California and New York for quite a while.

I just feel that the article was saying all of this "optimistic" stuff, while ending it with a sensationalist question to get people panicked all over again. So, to me, that's basically saying a lot without saying much.

Last edited:

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
I read that there's a hospital in California that's doing testing for Remdesivir. It was announced this week. I'm hoping there's some success in that. There was also an inmate in the Santa Ana jail that got the virus, so that's going to be a bad time.
Yeah, they're doing clinical trials at the UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange. Checked for any news and it was used on a coronavirus patient with pneumonia (who had preexisting conditions that'd put her at more risk of dying) in the Bay Area and she recovered, so it seems to have had some success already. In this case she was accepted into a different clinical trial that Gilead, the company that developed Remdesivir, is doing.

iterator

kiwifarms.net
Up from a little over 200 to 283 confirmed cases in New Zealand in one day. It's almost like our bimbo PM should have stopped carriers coming in in the first place.

People who have been travelling between the islands have been given very little time to get back home. Very dangerous.

The local liquor stores have put up makeshift internal barricades and parked vehicles in front in an attempt to deter ram raids unless someone pulls them away first. I give them a week or so before that happens.
IMG_20200325_213213.jpg

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Withdraw all your cash.
Why? The economy will have to be a lot worse for banks to go insolvent. At the same time, the virus is able to live on cash for some days. That was one of the major vectors in China IIRC.

Can someone put this on small layman terms? Is this a good or bad thing? Does this mean I need to get my cash out of the bank?
The Fed continues to be absolutely worthless. Instead of pausing activity while everyone is forced to stay home and then pull their 'levers' once activity starts back up, they did it when it would have the least impact.

As for withdrawing your money, you can if you want to be a panicking doomer who looks rețarded to your bank when you eventually have to reopen your account. Besides the economy not being that bad, so many people do everything by electronic payment these days, the likelihood of an actual run resulting in insolvency is highly unlikely. If you must, take out a decent amount of cash to calm your nerves, but thinking that we are repeating the great depression is just doom sperging.

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, they're doing clinical trials at the UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange. Checked for any news and it was used on a coronavirus patient with pneumonia (who had preexisting conditions that'd put her at more risk of dying) in the Bay Area and she recovered, so it seems to have had some success already. In this case she was accepted into a different clinical trial that Gilead, the company that developed Remdesivir, is doing.
That's very good news. I hope it continues to work on other patients.

#zzz

kiwifarms.net
do anything OTHER than withdrawing your cash. Pulling it out and forcing the banks to admit they don't have it will force them to collapse and shut down. That's what triggered the Great Depression.
Yes, everyone should do a panic run on the banks, surely that will not cause any issues or incite even more panic buying and eventually rioting or looting. Oh, he must be one of those anarchist types.

TwinkLover6969

Boys are for pleasure women are for babies
kiwifarms.net
FDIC federally insures all cash in bank accounts up to $250,000 per person.

Your money is fine.
We'll see whos laughing when the banks start limiting you to only 20 dollars a day.

Look at what happened in Venezuela when they had hyperinflation. Gonna quote this when you are all farming runescape gold.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd be interested to hear how the press in other countries is treating this and reference to China in general?

In the UK I'm not seeing much/any mention of China in relation to the virus now (though I dont go out of my way to read every news source).

Is this still an sjw dont be racist thing? All a bit ridiculous, especially since the Chinese propaganda machine is now highlighting imported cases and those stinky foreigners.
They're just not mentioning it. Nobody is. Everyone knows, they're just not screaming "Chyna" because the UK didn't have the same beef with the chinks as the US did.

I'm mostly wondering what will happen ten years hence when supply line resilience and need to reduce carbon footprints for length of supply chains becomes a thing.

I wish the UK was as sensible, but the tories are terrified of anything that might look like universal basic income in case people realise it's actually a pretty sound idea. Instead, if you're employed you get 80% of your salary up to 2,500 a month, if your employer is honest and wants to do the paperwork. Otherwise, he can choose to fire you, or reduce your hours to 0 a week and not apply for the government help, and you're screwed. If you're self-employed (or fake self employed like Uber drivers) you currently get 94 a week if you fill out a load of forms. There's talk that maybe they'll start paying them based on the average income of their previous three years or bollocks like that. And if you just work for cash in hand (think buskers, casual labourers, drug dealers), you get nothing at all while forced under penalty of law not to leave your house. So that'll be nice for them, in a few weeks from now.

Honestly, they should just have given every single person a payment large enough to compensate for being deprived of the ability to earn a living. Every single person is suffering the same loss of liberty and opportunity, every single person deserves the same compensation. That just doesn't compute to the Tory mindset. It would be 'rewarding lazyness' or something.
UBI does not work. Period. They tried it in Finland a few years ago, giving everyone within one province a flat income. They announced this pilot scheme loudly and proudly. It got quietly dropped not too long after as it turns out it does basically fuck all and did nothing they expected it to.

Also, yes, it would reward lazyness. Our benefits system is already bad enough discouraging those on lower incomes to just not bother with working. My mother (God rest her) had to deal with those kinds of idiots all the time, the ones blatantly gaming the system so they don't have to work ever again.

The problem is people think they need more than they do. I lived for a few years cutting things very thin and excluding mortgage/rent and electricity/oil you only need like £50 a week.

The other day the BBC had some woman saying £94/week isn't enough because even excluding rent she still has £950 of essential bills a month. What the fuck?
The BBC always finds folks like this. Like how they find nurses in food banks despite a starting salary for them being £24k a year. They're the kind of morons who consider a holiday to the Seychelles or the Med once a year an essential.

In fairness, a friend of mine's "essential bills" come out to about that, but he's running his own business which is now going super lean due to people cutting back. He seemed incredulous that I suggest he live leanly for a while and cut back on all unecessary expenses like I'm now doing.

Where on earth are today's UK numbers? I know they've been getting later every day but this is new.
They were not published until midnight nearly today. Could be people are asking for more autopsies to be performed or something.

UK Dailies for Wednesday:

97,019 Tested (+6583)
9,529 Positive (+1452)
463 Deaths (+41)

3,247 London Tracking Figure (+814)

London alone is now responsible for just under half of all England cases (7,973)

The UK also believes it will have home testing kits relatively soon. One Scientist quoting as "within days" which probably means it being approved by Oxford within days, while govt ministers are more that it's going to be a bit longer to actually make them.

Last edited:
Tags
None