Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

#zzz

kiwifarms.net
do anything OTHER than withdrawing your cash. Pulling it out and forcing the banks to admit they don't have it will force them to collapse and shut down. That's what triggered the Great Depression.
Yes, everyone should do a panic run on the banks, surely that will not cause any issues or incite even more panic buying and eventually rioting or looting. Oh, he must be one of those anarchist types.

Arctic Fox

You won't get past my wall.
kiwifarms.net
do anything OTHER than withdrawing your cash. Pulling it out and forcing the banks to admit they don't have it will force them to collapse and shut down. That's what triggered the Great Depression.
No it wasn't. There are a large variety of factors that led to the Depression, but run on banks certainly did not help.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd be interested to hear how the press in other countries is treating this and reference to China in general?

In the UK I'm not seeing much/any mention of China in relation to the virus now (though I dont go out of my way to read every news source).

Is this still an sjw dont be racist thing? All a bit ridiculous, especially since the Chinese propaganda machine is now highlighting imported cases and those stinky foreigners.
They're just not mentioning it. Nobody is. Everyone knows, they're just not screaming "Chyna" because the UK didn't have the same beef with the chinks as the US did.

I'm mostly wondering what will happen ten years hence when supply line resilience and need to reduce carbon footprints for length of supply chains becomes a thing.

I wish the UK was as sensible, but the tories are terrified of anything that might look like universal basic income in case people realise it's actually a pretty sound idea. Instead, if you're employed you get 80% of your salary up to 2,500 a month, if your employer is honest and wants to do the paperwork. Otherwise, he can choose to fire you, or reduce your hours to 0 a week and not apply for the government help, and you're screwed. If you're self-employed (or fake self employed like Uber drivers) you currently get 94 a week if you fill out a load of forms. There's talk that maybe they'll start paying them based on the average income of their previous three years or bollocks like that. And if you just work for cash in hand (think buskers, casual labourers, drug dealers), you get nothing at all while forced under penalty of law not to leave your house. So that'll be nice for them, in a few weeks from now.

Honestly, they should just have given every single person a payment large enough to compensate for being deprived of the ability to earn a living. Every single person is suffering the same loss of liberty and opportunity, every single person deserves the same compensation. That just doesn't compute to the Tory mindset. It would be 'rewarding lazyness' or something.
UBI does not work. Period. They tried it in Finland a few years ago, giving everyone within one province a flat income. They announced this pilot scheme loudly and proudly. It got quietly dropped not too long after as it turns out it does basically fuck all and did nothing they expected it to.

Also, yes, it would reward lazyness. Our benefits system is already bad enough discouraging those on lower incomes to just not bother with working. My mother (God rest her) had to deal with those kinds of idiots all the time, the ones blatantly gaming the system so they don't have to work ever again.

The problem is people think they need more than they do. I lived for a few years cutting things very thin and excluding mortgage/rent and electricity/oil you only need like £50 a week.

The other day the BBC had some woman saying £94/week isn't enough because even excluding rent she still has £950 of essential bills a month. What the fuck?
The BBC always finds folks like this. Like how they find nurses in food banks despite a starting salary for them being £24k a year. They're the kind of morons who consider a holiday to the Seychelles or the Med once a year an essential.

In fairness, a friend of mine's "essential bills" come out to about that, but he's running his own business which is now going super lean due to people cutting back. He seemed incredulous that I suggest he live leanly for a while and cut back on all unecessary expenses like I'm now doing.

Where on earth are today's UK numbers? I know they've been getting later every day but this is new.
They were not published until midnight nearly today. Could be people are asking for more autopsies to be performed or something.

UK Dailies for Wednesday:

97,019 Tested (+6583)
9,529 Positive (+1452)
463 Deaths (+41)

3,247 London Tracking Figure (+814)

London alone is now responsible for just under half of all England cases (7,973)

The UK also believes it will have home testing kits relatively soon. One Scientist quoting as "within days" which probably means it being approved by Oxford within days, while govt ministers are more that it's going to be a bit longer to actually make them.

Last edited:

WeDon'tNeedToWhisper

Reservation for one at Yamatos
kiwifarms.net
March 25, 2020 11:15 pm PST

Senate passes $2.2 trillion emergency relief package

The bill would deliver historic levels of emergency aid across the economy, including to households, businesses, cities and states. It would expand unemployment insurance benefits and direct more money to cash-strapped hospitals. The package now goes for consideration to the House of Representatives, which is expected to vote on it Friday. President Trump has said he is eager to sign it.

Allanon

kiwifarms.net
No it wasn't. There are a large variety of factors that led to the Depression, but run on banks certainly did not help.
The Fed calling all loans due is the main trigger, but the collapse of the banks themselves were caused by the run on the banks. The Fed could have called all loans due and the economy survive if not for the panic run that immediately forced the banks to all go belly up

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
According to the Robert Koch Institut, the current german numbers are 194 dead, 36508 infected. Slowly catching up to Spains numbers in the infected department. Both numbers have been increasing daily, but not by much. 194 dead over the scale of time this has been going on is barely statistic jitter considered that statistically, ~2400 germans die each day from disease, age and random misfortune.

Worldwide over 472.076 are confirmed as infected, with 21.308 dead. Which means about 5% (really 4,5%) of confirmed cases. Considering the really lagging and non-perfect testing of this, many experts are claiming that the numbers of actual infected are actually at least ten times higher, which would give the virus a kill score of 0,45% for those weak in the math department.

A new model by the Oxford University challenges now the model of the Imperial College London which was the main decision factor for many countries to lock down. The current theory in that new model is that people were already getting infected since January at least and that there are already millions infected worldwide and also that half of the population of the UK is/was already infected, which is the country the study focuses on in it's model. We now really need large scale antibody testing to figure this out. If things go really well for humanity we might figure out that big parts of the population in western countries are already immune to it.

Last edited:

Shugo

kiwifarms.net
how many have been given papers saying they're an essential worker yet? I know 3 people.
I did, I think big corporations are doing it either expecting more curfews and lockdowns, and to cover places where there are already lockdowns.

I don't think smaller businesses have pre-written letters yet. It's just a hall pass to the cops that you're allowed to go outside, I'm sure I could start photocopying mine to hand out.

• Agree
Reactions: 3119967d0c

Bob's Fuckass Head

Don't worry I got a good deal on it!
kiwifarms.net
State of Alabama update: Late & Gay Edition

Today's numbers, with a special thanks to whomever archived the page while I was filling out paperwork.

386 confirmed cases (+171 from yesterday, a big jump)

2,812* tests processed (+491 with an asterisk)

*Total tested primarily represents tests that were satisfactorily performed by the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) Bureau of Clinical Laboratories (BCL), along with some data from commercial labs. Commercial labs are required, by law, to report positive tests to ADPH. Some commercial labs do not report negative specimens.

IOW: all positive results must be reported, but some negative results may be missing from the tally

First in-state death reported today: a Jackson County resident and part time worker at Jackson County Courthouse. (archive)

The patient was not identified by name but a statement from the Jackson County Commission said the deceased was a part-time employee with the county. "The employee worked in a department at the Jackson County Courthouse that did not require regular contact with the public," the statement said. "All county employees who worked in the same department have been notified and none of them have reported any symptoms associated with the COVID-19 virus."

Went for a jog around the neighborhood today. Saw some stuff. Two girls washing cars in swimsuits, somebody's orange cat chilling under a carport, lots of other people out getting some fresh air. Everybody was in a typically southern friendly mood and seemed to be making sure to keep proper distance. Fuck that fatso who stopped to hock a glob at the crosswalk, though. Aside from that guy, you could pretty easily mistake this place for Mayberry at the moment.

Saw an EMS unit taking someone on a stretcher out of one house. I told myself the masks were all surely just standard procedure right now, and that person probably wasn't touched by the Peking Plague. Probably. Turned my ass around anyway and went home.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A new model by the Oxford University challenges now the model of the Imperial College London which was the main decision factor for many countries to lock down. The current theory in that new model is that people were already getting infected since January at least and that there are already millions infected worldwide and also that half of the population of the UK is/was already infected, which is the country the study focuses on in it's model. We now really need large scale antibody testing to figure this out. If things go really well for humanity we might figure out that big parts of the population in western countries are already immune to it.
That's why its hoped the new testing kit will work out for people.

If it's proven they've already had it and it's passed then we can probably return to a more normal life rather quickly. There was a heck of a lot of bad flus going around from October onwards this year as well.

Weirdly, since I had that bad bout of flu I've not even had a sniffle since and I'm in a very at risk group.

iterator

kiwifarms.net
You will be arrested for flouting home quarantine rules in NZ, prison time of up to 6 months.

Source | Archive
That's the threat. However, that is the threat if you repeatedly breach what some worthless pig tells you to do (i.e. not the first time), or if you fight them.

You should be aware:
  • You do not have to give any information at all to a pig if you encounter them while walking around
  • You are obligated to give your name, address, and date of birth to a pig if you encounter them while driving
Obviously, one needs to be careful in the second case about avoiding self-incrimination if you're hundreds of kilometres from home. In that case, take the loss and make sure you don't get caught that far out again.

Talking to my solicitor, he does not believe that the various acts horseface is invoking change those requirements. Don't fight the pigs and give them a case to say you resisted. Don't help the pigs out in incriminating you by giving them information they aren't legally allowed to force you to provide. Don't be impolite. Do ask them for their identification so that you can file complaints and film them if they threaten you. But you are under no obligation to make their job of harassing real New Zealanders easier. It's horseface's fault that coronavirus was brought to New Zealand in the first place. Her pissant nanny state nonsense isn't going to accomplish anything at this point.

Prior to the semiautomatic ban I knew far more police officers with illegal firearms (generally illegally owned pistols) than regular decent working people. Now? Oh.. it might be neck and neck. The police don't respect the law, and they don't respect you. There's no reason to give undue respect to them, which is any respect at all.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
March 25, 2020 11:15 pm PST

Senate passes $2.2 trillion emergency relief package

The bill would deliver historic levels of emergency aid across the economy, including to households, businesses, cities and states. It would expand unemployment insurance benefits and direct more money to cash-strapped hospitals. The package now goes for consideration to the House of Representatives, which is expected to vote on it Friday. President Trump has said he is eager to sign it.

From what I hear, it still has a lot of Commie shit in it:

They can keep my 1200 600 bucks. I don't want any of the other shit the Bill promises to do. If Donald Trump signs this, he's a fool. The backlash he'll get from this poisoned piece of pork isn't worth the meager help it will deliver to his supporters.

EDIT: I may be sucking cocks here. This could just be a bunch of blackpillers sperging over the earlier version of the bill. I will stand by my assertion that the original was full of Commie Shit, though.

Last edited:

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
The BBC always finds folks like this. Like how they find nurses in food banks despite a starting salary for them being £24k a year. They're the kind of morons who consider a holiday to the Seychelles or the Med once a year an essential.
well you can get 2 weeks med for 500€ including flights. and it IS fucking essential, humans are just not made to survive the winters in the grey waste of nothern europe.

Tags
None