Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tasteful even during lockdowns. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
Tiny Tyrant Timmy in Minnesota announced yesterday that bars and restaurants could open patio seating only starting on June 1st, limited to 50 people. Meanwhile, churches can only have 10 people indoors, no matter the size of the building. Because science, of course.
Some, if not all, churches here can reopen but with 25% capacity. For some with small congregations, this might not be a problem. for congregations that fill their churches or megachurches, there may be no way to adequately serve everyone wanting to attend services. Even with the option to have services with limited attendance, many churches still intend to stream services through the summer and encourage their congregation to stay home if they don't feel comfortable returning or fall into a vulnerable category that should minimize public activity.

Everyone will be required to have a "wellness check" before starting work every day. Employees have to take their temperature at home and when arriving to work will be asked if they took their temperature, if it's below 100.4°F, if they have any symptoms of COVID, and if they've been exposed to anyone confirmed to have COVID.
I wonder how many smaller businesses will find having to administer a combinations of temperatures and 20 questions to be cumbersome or a waste of time if they have to do it for any extended period of time. I can see some some of these same businesses encouraging people to keep working from home if they can just to avoid having to go through this daily rigamarole.

Another consideration is that many employees don't like to take time off work when they're sick. How many can be trusted to be truthful every day they're asked if they're sick, feel sick, or think they have COVID-19 symptoms? Conversely, how many employees would claim to have COVID-19 when they don't just to try to get additional paid time off?

Added: When you take a look at the two snitch lists, it's sickening to see just how many people have snitched. Reminds me of what life would be like in a totalitarian society, such as under the Nazis or the Communists. There were shitloads of people snitching. So here, a public service has been done in releasing these lists for all to see. Let the snitches get shamed.
I forget the title of it, but we read a story in my 9th grade Short Readings class about a world where snitches earned gold stars and other rewards while those snitched on got demerits with enough demerits leading to a what I think was a public execution. It's scary to think about the parallels between that and these people who think they're doing some sort of civic duty or righteous thing (that's more self-righteous than anything).

Piles of people got an involuntary crash-course in actually cooking their own food. Plus a good chunk of time to get into the habit of it. Even if money wasn't a big factor restaurants might not see previous customer levels come back for a very long time.
And there's probably some amount of people that simply don't want make unnecessary trips to public places operating with reduced capacity and any degree of restrictions if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
-----
Other Michigan news:

In part because President Trump came to visit a Ford plant in Michigan and only wore a mask where it was absolutely necessary, Attorney General Dana Nessel (D) told Trump he's no longer welcome in the state on her behalf. Good luck with that meaning anything to Trump. I'm willing to bet he pokes fun at it the next time he visits the state.

In calling Trump a "petulant child," Nessel must not remember what happened to Hillary Clinton and how the latter appeared to lose enough support to cost her the 2016 election when she branded anyone supporting Trump as "deplorables" after largely ignoring his name calling up to that point. Funny how Democrats often speak out against divisiveness only to turn around and behave as divisively as the same people they've criticized. :story:

On the plus side, it sounds like Trump and Governor Whitmer discussed the Midland flooding disaster. Let's hope that talk was more cordial, productive, and positive for the state.

(Archive #1: Nessel article)

The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) is balking at efforts to end the $2/hour hazard pay being paid to many grocery store workers.

The article said:
(UFCW international President) Perrone also noted that the pay is being taken away at a time when the companies are experiencing record sales, profit and higher productivity.
I'd love to know where the source is for that since grocery stores supposedly have thin margins. Their higher prices of late have come from increased product/inventory and delivery costs. I also find it ingenious that the Union wants this temporary pay drawn out indefinitely or even permanently. If UFCW dues include a small percentage of each worker's pay, they seem to have an ulterior motive and vested interest to insist this temporary pay boost become (quasi) permanent because it also helps line the union's pockets on the backs of the same workers they say need as much extra pay as possible right now. This shows how easier it is for unions to take something than it is to give it back at the appropriate time.

(Archive #2: Grocery article)
-----
Locally, one of the counties has opened up testing for everyone. While it might provide piece of mind or answers for those in vulnerable categories, the fact that some states are sharing what was promised to be confidential personal information to authorities is concerning and horrifying. Not knowing if my state is one of them, I'd still pass on having myself tested unless it was somehow compulsory for me to return to either work or my paying hobby. Barring that or needing confirmation that I somehow contracted COVID-19 in the future, I presently don't see testing worth the hassle or potential invasion of privacy.

Jamila

hopefully tomorrow is a day 🤞🤞🤞
kiwifarms.net
Another consideration is that many employees don't like to take time off work when they're sick. How many can be trusted to be truthful every day they're asked if they're sick, feel sick, or think they have COVID-19 symptoms? Conversely, how many employees would claim to have COVID-19 when they don't just to try to get additional paid time off?
This is what concerns me as our attendance and sick leave policies are draconian like most retail companies. From the looks of it we may not have any negative impact to our attendance if we're sick for the time being and we can use PTO if we want, but the update from today isn't very clear on that. But yeah, we've been expected to work even if we're at death's door for years, and I know a lot of people who even now would probably still come in if they were sick, just out of guilt for not going to work.

Oh let me tell you people (myself included) have abused the hell out of the fact my company suspended points for calling off, The store has averaged 50% of associates calling off over the past couple of months.

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
This post is rather old, but a doctor talks about medical staff apparently getting PTSI from the current epidemic.

Oh for fucks sake. The people aren't turning inside out and exploding. They are quietly dying from respiratory failure. If you are in the serious part of the medical field this is just something that happens. Everybody dies. Most do so in a hospital and the staff there have learned how to help people in those times while not letting it get to them.

On a personal note I had a little whoopsie the other day and ended up in the ER needing stitches. The place was deserted and the nurse was waiving me to the back before I finished filling out the admission form. It was the quickest most attentive ER visit ever. I think the last time I was there I was bringing in a friend that had the flu real bad a couple years ago. Huge clogged overcrowded waiting room for many hours to see a doctor with roughly 1/3 of them with the flu as well.

This ain't that. If you are getting PTSD from this you need to find another line of work.

MrBlueSocks

kiwifarms.net
Most pandemic flu starts in China. I’ve seen an 80% figure floating about but funnily when I go to google it’s no longer visible.
China has horrific hygiene and horrific animal husbandry practices and horrific crowding. Add in hogs living next to people and wildfowl (most flu originates first in birds) and youve got the perfect bioincubator for flu. If China had farming and hygiene like, say, Norway, only a small proportion of that spillover would happen.
China is absolutely culpable wrt corona. And many flu outbreaks .
Can't find a scientific paper, but found these news articles . Citation needed dammit.

NBC News. Asia is cradle of influenza . archive
The population of China alone is bigger than that of the whole of Africa, and 80 percent of the new human flu strains the last few decades appeared in China first.
ABC Australia . Flu comes fresh from Asia each year . archive
Scientific American . It came from Southeast Asia . archive
Nature - racing against the Flu . archive

By analysing the genetic and antigenic variations of 13,000 strains of the H3N2 virus, a group led by infectious-disease experts Colin Russell and Derek Smith at the University of Cambridge in the UK were able to track the evolution of the virus as it moved around the world between 2002 and 2007. They found that, at least for the common H3N2 virus, strains tend to originate in East and Southeast Asia, and mutate their way around the world until they end up in what Smith calls an “evolutionary graveyard” in South America — a continent that, in terms of flu at least, he says, is therefore “the safest place to be because you get the biggest warning.”
These are all very old articles, in Internet terms, like 10 to 15 years. I also think they may have all been spawned by that original Derek Smith study.

*** ETA **
Also for this Taki piece chinks in our armour . (archive) . He mentions that it was an Associated Press report from 2004 that said 80% .
Good article, especially for getting Mad on the Internet. Reiterates all my prejudices about how China has played us, because they are thinking strategically to win a long term war. And some stuff about the gays. (Have I gone further right as I've aged, or has the world just gone left around me? When did Taki start seeming perfectly sensible and centrist?)

Last edited:

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) is balking at efforts to end the $2/hour hazard pay being paid to many grocery store workers.
Lol fuck em'. I work in healthcare and didn't see an extra single cent added to my paychecks for this episode. Well, the hospital did waive parking fees for 2 months. A whole $80 saved right there, wooooo.

Simpadoo

Why do joggers ruin everything?
kiwifarms.net
Some, if not all, churches here can reopen but with 25% capacity. For some with small congregations, this might not be a problem. for congregations that fill their churches or megachurches, there may be no way to adequately serve everyone wanting to attend services. Even with the option to have services with limited attendance, many churches still intend to stream services through the summer and encourage their congregation to stay home if they don't feel comfortable returning or fall into a vulnerable category that should minimize public activity.

I wonder how many smaller businesses will find having to administer a combinations of temperatures and 20 questions to be cumbersome or a waste of time if they have to do it for any extended period of time. I can see some some of these same businesses encouraging people to keep working from home if they can just to avoid having to go through this daily rigamarole.

I forget the title of it, but we read a story in my 9th grade Short Readings class about a world where snitches earned gold stars and other rewards while those snitched on got demerits with enough demerits leading to a what I think was a public execution. It's scary to think about the parallels between that and these people who think they're doing some sort of civic duty or righteous thing (that's more self-righteous than anything).

And there's probably some amount of people that simply don't want make unnecessary trips to public places operating with reduced capacity and any degree of restrictions if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
-----
Other Michigan news:

In part because President Trump came to visit a Ford plant in Michigan and only wore a mask where it was absolutely necessary, Attorney General Dana Nessel (D) told Trump he's no longer welcome in the state on her behalf. Good luck with that meaning anything to Trump. I'm willing to bet he pokes fun at it the next time he visits the state.

In calling Trump a "petulant child," Nessel must not remember what happened to Hillary Clinton and how the latter appeared to lose enough support to cost her the 2016 election when she branded anyone supporting Trump as "deplorables" after largely ignoring his name calling up to that point. Funny how Democrats often speak out against divisiveness only to turn around and behave as divisively as the same people they've criticized. :story:

On the plus side, it sounds like Trump and Governor Whitmer discussed the Midland flooding disaster. Let's hope that talk was more cordial, productive, and positive for the state.

(Archive #1: Nessel article)

I'd love to know where the source is for that since grocery stores supposedly have thin margins. Their higher prices of late have come from increased product/inventory and delivery costs. I also find it ingenious that the Union wants this temporary pay drawn out indefinitely or even permanently. If UFCW dues include a small percentage of each worker's pay, they seem to have an ulterior motive and vested interest to insist this temporary pay boost become (quasi) permanent because it also helps line the union's pockets on the backs of the same workers they say need as much extra pay as possible right now. This shows how easier it is for unions to take something than it is to give it back at the appropriate time.

(Archive #2: Grocery article)
-----
Locally, one of the counties has opened up testing for everyone. While it might provide piece of mind or answers for those in vulnerable categories, the fact that some states are sharing what was promised to be confidential personal information to authorities is concerning and horrifying. Not knowing if my state is one of them, I'd still pass on having myself tested unless it was somehow compulsory for me to return to either work or my paying hobby. Barring that or needing confirmation that I somehow contracted COVID-19 in the future, I presently don't see testing worth the hassle or potential invasion of privacy.
Wise choice

Reactions: EmuWarsVeteran

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
Great news today! Ibex35 (the spanish economical indicator) goes against the rest of europe by actually rising while everyone else keeps plumeting. Seems despite yesterday's fights and the CEOE's threats spanish economy is coming back up! Meanwhile an NGO finally launches a "reopening, reactivation and reinvention" plan for our food sector, to first try to reopen properly and restore stability and then get our small food sector integrated into the takeaways, markets, etc. Which is a great thing we were already kinda half doing in the past (you'd be surprised the kinda stuff you can find as "takeaway" in spain! Literally even freaking galician octopus and shit like that. But before it was just some initiatives. Now they're integrating it proper everywhere, both to help maintain proper diet with healthier fast food and to maintain the economy!) So overall. Go Spain! As for the right wing. Oh I'm sure they've kept reeing. But today not even the usual media has echoed them. I'mma bet A3Media is running a massive fearmongering campaign but... Who cares? It seems the counter protests really did show the massive discrepancy in numbers and with their politicians now fixated on their Iglesias Derangement Syndrome they're gonna be repeating themselves for a while. Good. That way they're just annoying, not insuferable. That only leaves the Los Pascuales mess... Well today I haven't had to do anything on hospital groups so far. So I have no hospital intel yet. Tonight I'll tell you if my union contact got anything. Either way, since I heard nothing good that's bad. For now, the White Tides are mobilizing and some journals have finally started adding pressure. So we'll see if they're fast enough to keep this from erupting into violence. I don't think they will be, though. Pascual has done this since the times of franco. It's been now over 3 decades of corruption. And they did NOTHING to stop him. Last time he got caught pulling corrupt shit he was asking the government for 133x the price of his operations. Yeah that's right, that's a multiplier with 3 fucking digits you didn't read wrong. So if that didn't get him incarcerated you tell me what would. I will make a correction though. JM pascual won't be murdered for this. I didn't know it but as it turns out he's already dead. It's his sons pulling this bullshit. So there won't be 1 murder, but 8. We'll see.

• Feels
Reactions: Allakazam223

Super-Chevy454

kiwifarms.net
Styx and some Youtubers vlogged about the CDC who said then Corona-chan don't contaminate the surfaces.
Mykra
And yet if this was said a week ago Google says they were within their rights to ban you for 'misinformation'.

David Primeau

I wrote about vitamin D on Yahoo a month ago, how it helped make the immune system stronger, and how it could make the body stronger in fighting Covid. Yahoo did not allow me to post my comment. They even threatened to remove my account. I got my information from Dr John Campbell on Youtube about 2 months ago. Last week I saw an article on Yahoo promoting Vitamin D for fighting Covid. Not only do they censor false information, they censor information they haven't approved even if it is true.

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
Styx and some Youtubers vlogged about the CDC who said then Corona-chan don't contaminate the surfaces.
Honestly. 1) I don't think the CDC is right about surface spread. So we'll see. For now from what we saw in hospital if there's no surface spread then there's something else going on. But more importantly:

2) the vit D shit is especially egregious to me. 'Cause shit is. VitD is the one god damned molecule every single fucking quack and naturopath will talk about for clout, always. But the reason they do it should be obvious by now: it's because it's the 1 fucking molecule that demonstrably fucking works this way! The one fucking thread they got for their "nature=good" bollocks, because vit D is, indeed, fucking good. So you'd think every fucking asshole in filter websites would know this by now!

I mean fuck I disagree with these filters on principle. The spanish police even talked merely about monitoring without any censorship and I find even that to be outrageous. But filtering what might just be THE most well known fact about nutrition as if it was fake?! What kinda braindead fucking looneybin was in charge thst day?!

Sekirodiealot

kiwifarms.net
Absolutely right.

The imposition of one-size-fits-all statewide house arrests for an extended period is one of the stupidest things ever done in the USA. All that was needed was a couple of weeks' lockdown. Then you identify hot spots. Quarantine the hot spots and buffer zones, let everyone go live their lives, using reasonable precautions. Took me a few seconds to figure this out a while back. NONE of the governors who put their states under house arrest used that logical, health-based approach. Nil. Zero. Every governor went on a power trip. Every one. That should scare the living shit out of every American. Scares me, for sure. Given the opportunity, governors will always go straight to tyrant mode.

Let's look at the costs.
1. Economic - Loss of jobs. Hardships placed on millions of American men, women, and children. Not every person out of work qualified for unemployment. Savings accounts drained. Retirement accounts, if there, drained. Huge use of credit cards to purchase necessities. Enormous lines at food banks. Vehicles in danger of repossession. On and on.

2. Loss of tax revenue. When these "geniuses" went straight to tyrant mode, none of them apparently took into account tax revenues would drastically decrease at the state/county/city levels. Funny, I thought of that right off. Compared to the shitheads running most states, I must be a fucking Einstein. (sarcasm). Compounding matters is the poor financial condition of most of these states.

If you want some visibility into the financial conditions of the states, go here and look around.

https://www.data-z.org/

As an example, you can look at California, ruled by a complete exceptional individual.

The state of CA needs every tax dollar it can get, and that dunce went ahead and kept God knows how many people from working.

Observe the financial state of Illinois, ruled by a stupid peterweed. They are even worse off than CA.

Yet that fat fuck Pritzker has also kept people from working.

Take a look at New York City's finances, under the command of one of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

The thought occurred to me that these governors may have considered the loss of tax revenues but figured Washington would bail them out. Fuck bailing them out. They'll get something but nowhere near what they want. I don't give a flying fuck.

3. Health-related. A number of people have died from causes that could have been treated if they'd gotten to the hospital. They didn't go due to the ChiCom Flu, or because they lost their insurance when they lost their jobs. X number of elderly people have died due to Cocksucker Cuomo's demand that ChiCom Flu elderly patients be placed in nursing homes, whether these homes could care for them or not. Their blood is on his hands. Last, but not least, there's been a wave of layoffs of doctors, nurses, and other health workers because people aren't going to the hospital. No patients, no money coming in.

4. The education of millions of Americans, from pre-school to graduate school, has been disrupted. Have heard so much babbling about home-schooling and online learning I could puke. Once again, nobody seems to have thought this shit out. I did. What the fuck? First, not all parents can home-school. They have to work, or they have educational limitations of their own. Can't teach a kid English composition if you can barely write yourself. Can't teach math if balancing your checkbook kicks your ass. Second, online learning is not appropriate for all grades and all subjects. I wouldn't let students in elementary school do online learning at all except as an enhancement to classroom instruction. You cannot teach basic reading, writing, and arithmetic online. NO. Remember that. School also performs a socializing function. This is where kids learn to get along together and work together. Very important in life.

5. The bond of trust many, if not most Americans have had in government and law enforcement, already shaky, has been shattered, possibly irreparably. There have been a number of cases where law enforcement and government have violated people's civil rights. The national level of anger is probably the highest it has ever been. Lots of lawsuits out there. The Attorney General has had to remind the states that the Constitution is still in force. This does not augur well for the next time a calamity hits. Once burned, twice shy. Many people may just ignore any directives from state/county/city government.

Folks, what we have before us is an object lesson as to what happens when a bunch of little Hitlers go on unchecked power trips. Look at what it has cost and will cost us. Believe we can fix most of the economic damage fairly quickly, but the medical, educational, and social damage will take much longer to fix, and to a certain extent isn't fixable at all. All because a bunch of power-hungry demons refused to use any common sense. Keep paying attention. Forewarned is forearmed.

Always seem to write a long thing, but I think about all these matters and apply seven decades' worth of broad-based experience. If anyone can prove me wrong on any of these, please do so. Sadly, believe I have called this one more right than I would like, if that makes sense. Makes me upset to see what's going on. Sure didn't have to be this way.
"But-but people will die if we reopen society!!" I hear karens and the government cry.

Last edited:

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
Someone sent me these:
View attachment 1311633
View attachment 1311634

Is any of this true?
TECHNICALLY true. Except for the 1/3 statistic. But that's not the whole story. Yes, it is TECHNICALLY true that 25% pulmonary function deficit can cause severe long time effects. And that some people may present neurological and coagulation problem after being intubated. It is also true that that guy was likely intubated and that I've seen people get out of that far worse than he was. BUT:

1/3? Don't make me fucking laugh! Less than 10% go to ICU and far less than that reauire intubation. And NO ONE who wasn't intubated showed serious long term effects. None. At all.

The more tests we make the more we find that the inmense majority of people don't even need hospitalization at all. So. While what they said is technically true. The message is pointless bullshit fearmongering. There's good reason now that we see how little lethality there is and the lockdows drop like the dead weight they are is when these randies talk about side effects. They know damned well they lost the message.

MrBlueSocks

kiwifarms.net
Someone sent me these:
View attachment 1311633
View attachment 1311634

Is any of this true?
The long term effects other than death have been discussed and are a concern, but it seems hard to get any decent facts. All illnesses have this potential for long term effects, but the what and how much for WuFlu doesn't seem to be available. I believe our resident autodidact Drain Todger had his own thread on this you could read, if you're sick of life.

Other bloke looks pretty gay, so it's probably the Aids.

Tags
None