Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hasn't it already been established in this very thread multiple times that ebola can't get even close to corona-chan's spreading prowess due to a rampant fatality rate and more difficult method of transmission? Feels like people are just throwing out more horror stories of this and that to keep that element of fear and anxiety that this abominable year's been fostering going at this rate.
Yeah. Ebola will keep popping back up because there’s a reservoir of it in the bats. It’s whack a mole when it pops up.
And to give Congo it’s due, they are good at suppressing these outbreaks as they occur. They can do that because you dont need anything high tech - you need the knowledge of correct quarantine, body disposal and barrier nursing. They do that well.
Ebola is spread by direct contact with infected fluids and while it’s up there on the ‘not nice ways to die’ list it’s no threat to humanity as a whole. Sucks for Congo, who are doing their best with a war continuing (Despite peace being declared, no one seems to have gotten that memo...) to rage on thats killed a few million.
Unless Ebola mutates in some way to become droplet transmitted or airbourne, it’s not a threat to humanity as a whole. If it does we are fucked, like, but let’s hope it doesn’t... it’s certainly not a valid comparison to COVID, in virulence, or lethality. Some strains of Ebola have a 90% kill rate. Corona is the other end - lower kill rate and uncontrolled spread. While Ebola should remain a pathogen that lurks in bats and occasionally spills over to humans (and thus stay lethal as), corona will perhaps become less virulent over time and become endemic.
I read a article the other day that they thing the 1890 Russian flu may actually have been a coronavirus. Will see if i can dig out the original paper later

Quixotic Son

13th Century Schizoid Man
kiwifarms.net
Rate me late but isn't Covid losing traction in Italy and becoming less lethal?
Somewhat related, these protests and riots will be a real test if things really are getting better because that's a super spreader. If by two weeks no one gets sick from this, we should be in the clear to go back to somewhat normalcy.

Reactions: Sekirodiealot

Sekirodiealot

kiwifarms.net
Rate me late but isn't Covid losing traction in Italy and becoming less lethal?
Somewhat related, these protests and riots will be a real test if things really are getting better because that's a super spreader. If by two weeks no one gets sick from this, we should be in the clear to go back to somewhat normalcy.
Knowing the media, they'll try to inflate the numbers

• Agree
Reactions: Nguyen Van Phuoc

DidYouJustSayThat

Eat the bat soup, bigot.
kiwifarms.net
Yes, now they're mostly opened again and whining about money.
My own read on situation is that it is not becoming less lethal, but people, who were going to die to it have mostly died. This is why I stopped going to supermarket in my full face P3 gas mask, stopped autistic decon of groceries and deliveries, and started showing up in the office in person a month ago. Not ashamed for my over the top precautions in the beginning - better safe than sorry, but also comfortable with dropping them, when they are proven unnecessary.

Simpadoo

Why do joggers ruin everything?
kiwifarms.net
What happens if Ebola-san and Corona-chan gets married and have a child?
The mayor of Chicago.

Yeah. Ebola will keep popping back up because there’s a reservoir of it in the bats. It’s whack a mole when it pops up.
And to give Congo it’s due, they are good at suppressing these outbreaks as they occur. They can do that because you dont need anything high tech - you need the knowledge of correct quarantine, body disposal and barrier nursing. They do that well.
Ebola is spread by direct contact with infected fluids and while it’s up there on the ‘not nice ways to die’ list it’s no threat to humanity as a whole. Sucks for Congo, who are doing their best with a war continuing (Despite peace being declared, no one seems to have gotten that memo...) to rage on thats killed a few million.
Unless Ebola mutates in some way to become droplet transmitted or airbourne, it’s not a threat to humanity as a whole. If it does we are fucked, like, but let’s hope it doesn’t... it’s certainly not a valid comparison to COVID, in virulence, or lethality. Some strains of Ebola have a 90% kill rate. Corona is the other end - lower kill rate and uncontrolled spread. While Ebola should remain a pathogen that lurks in bats and occasionally spills over to humans (and thus stay lethal as), corona will perhaps become less virulent over time and become endemic.
I read a article the other day that they thing the 1890 Russian flu may actually have been a coronavirus. Will see if i can dig out the original paper later
590E8CF2-DE84-4F4A-9C43-14F0A5776A80.jpeg

NotSendingTheirBest

Press F
kiwifarms.net
I've uploaded the paper.

Attachments

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've uploaded the paper.
Thank you! What’s interesting is that this backs up what we were saying a while back - that perhaps serious epidemics of history were events like COVID - viruses that spilled over and over time have mellowed. The virus discussed in that paper, HCoV-OC43 is one of the common cold variants. It’s not beyond belief to think that in time, SARS CoV2 will also mellow and become a seasonal cold. I know you have to be careful with assigning causes to past events, but it’s fun, and interesting, to speculate.
It’s also possible of course that the 1890 outbreak was flu, or that it was flu and simultaneously a corona spillover - we won’t ever know. The ebb and flow of the endless evolutionary arms race is the point. Sometimes we are ahead, and sometimes the viruses are.

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful summer treat. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
I believe someone may have already mentioned Michigan's Stay Home/Safe is ending with a lot few restrictions by the end of next week. So, this will probably be my last update here.

My city: Three new cases in the last week with no deaths,
Workplace city: Neither new cases nor deaths for the second straight week.

County-wide, there were 176 new cases, 42 deaths, 344 people who went at least 30 days past their symptoms, and 210 less people who neither died nor qualified as recovered.

Even if I'm not quite gung ho about going out on a regular basis, I'll be happy to have less restrictions in place finally.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've gathered some more intel and I think I've found out why COVID-19 disproportionately kills black people. It has to do with differences in endothelial function. Black people have substantially higher rates of high blood pressure and diabetes. It has to do with diet, genetics, and skin pigmentation. If someone is vitamin D deficient (that is, if they have less sun exposure because they're sedentary and always have a roof over their heads; black people carry the roof with them, it's called melanin), they'll have more NADPH oxidase activity and more oxidative stress. Vitamin D restrains and regulates the production of reactive oxygen species.

One such example of ROS is superoxide, produced by the action of NADPH oxidase. Superoxide reacts with nitric oxide to form peroxynitrite, a powerful oxidizing and nitrating agent that's cytotoxic. In the process, nitric oxide is depleted. Black people naturally produce more superoxide and peroxynitrite (i.e. they're always in a redox state).

To make matters worse, COVID-19 alters one's lipid and metabolite profile, reducing carbamoyl phosphate levels.

Normally, carbamoyl phosphate reacts with ornithine to form citrulline, and then it is converted to arginine, and finally, it's converted to nitric oxide.

Nitric oxide is a vasodilator and it's critical to endothelial health. If it's being converted into peroxynitrite by excess superoxide, and if carbamoyl phosphate is cut off, then nitric oxide is inevitably depleted. And this is what we're seeing in COVID-19. Loss of NO bioavailability.

This is concerning, because nitric oxide does more than support endothelial health. It also has a possible direct antiviral effect against coronaviruses. We know it can block the Spike protein and slow the replication of SARS-CoV. Due to their similarities, it may also be able to slow the replication of SARS-CoV-2.

In summary, black people are already teetering towards endothelial dysfunction just by default, all the time. COVID-19 tips the balance even further, with lethal consequences. This is most likely why COVID-19 disproportionately kills blacks.

I think the key to saving African-American patients sick with COVID-19 (as well as many of the other more severe cases) is to restore NO bioavailability. Nicotine and Vitamin D can regulate or even inhibit excessive NADPH oxidase activity. Citrulline, arginine, and cysteine supplementation can significantly increase nitric oxide.

To recap, SARS-CoV-2 can:
  • Get into the brain and cause encephalitis and new-onset seizure, with detectable virions in the cerebrospinal fluid.
  • Cause temporary loss of sense of smell and/or taste.
  • Infect the lungs and cause bilateral viral pneumonia, pulmonary fibrosis, and even full atelectasis of both lungs.
  • Cause hypoxemic insult to all of the vital organs.
  • Infect the lining of blood vessels and cause endotheliitis and even a Kawasaki disease-like syndrome in children.
  • Cause coagulopathy, viremia, and sepsis, with clotting severe enough to cause heart attacks, strokes, or even PE. Patients have thrombocytopenia because their platelets are used up, and their D-dimer levels are often well above 3000 ng/ml, and sometimes as high as 20,000+ ng/ml.
  • Infect the heart muscle and cause heart injury. Noticeable in elevated troponin levels.
  • Infect the liver and/or bile duct, causing abnormal liver enzyme levels.
  • Infect the kidneys and cause acute kidney injury requiring dialysis.
  • Infect the GI tract and cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
  • Infect the testes and cause testicular pain, hormone imbalance, and possible male sterility.
  • Destroy T lymphocytes and cause lymphopenia.
  • Inhibit interferon production.
  • Imbalance the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and cause hypokalemia, oxidative stress, and severe inflammation, injuring tissues with cytokine storms and destabilizing atherosclerotic plaques.
  • Alter one's lipid and metabolic profile (in the case of SARS, this could even become permanent).
COVID-19 can look like (and be misdiagnosed as) any of the following things:
  • Pneumonia
  • Seizure
  • Stroke
  • Heart attack
  • Pulmonary embolism
  • Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
  • Kidney failure
  • Autoimmune disease
Any treatment must necessarily take all of this into account.
  • Vasodilation and bronchodilation for the lungs, as well as a nasal cannula supplying oxygen or intubation and mechanical ventilation. Nitric oxide inhalation may be very helpful.
  • Vitamin D, nicotine, citrulline, arginine, and/or cysteine to try and increase NO levels.
  • Anti-seizure medication, if necessary, like levetiracetam.
  • Anticoagulation therapy. Lots of heparin.
  • IV immunoglobulin for endotheliitis/capillary leak.
  • Dialysis, if the kidneys are having a hard time.
  • Lopinavir/ritonavir, camostat, and/or interferon to cut down on viral replication.
  • Monoclonal antibodies against each specific inflammatory cytokine, like tocilizumab.
I've had to listen to a bunch of politically-correct morons say "Oh, it's structural disadvantage, not genetics", trying to imply that it's nothing intrinsic in black people making them more susceptible to COVID-19. Wrong. It's both. If someone has a diet high in fats and carbohydrates and low in micronutrients, like the typical lower-class American diet of cheap processed crap, COVID-19 will kill them dead. This is especially true of people who have a harder time synthesizing their own nutrients, like people with dark skin living at higher latitudes who are vitamin D deficient and already had endothelial dysfunction before they were infected with a virus that causes severe endotheliitis. Vox tried to imply that it was living next to chemical plants that made black people more susceptible to COVID-19. What these geniuses cannot explain is why the disparity holds basically everywhere, not just right next to industrial zones.

Medicine doesn't give a damn about political correctness. People need therapy that's tailored to their genetics. Deluding ourselves into thinking that we're all physically identical is going to hurt and kill innocent people.

CeleryStalks

Colorful flowers, too.
kiwifarms.net
Michigan, USA

Governor Gretchen Whitmer, (D) was questioned by a U.S. House subcommittee about her response to the Corona outbreak, along with two other governors.
(archive)

Some highlights:
Detroit Free Press said:
The hearing, which also featured testimony from Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, and Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, a Republican, lasted three hours. Republican questions to Whitmer were much more pointed than the ones they directed at Polis.
But U.S. Rep. David McKinley, R-West Virginia, pushed back on Whitmer's criticism, noting that while criticizing the Trump administration for a lack of support, Whitmer did not ask the Federal Emergency Management Agency for a federal disaster declaration until March 26, after the omission had been reported by the Free Press.
"Do you regret not acting sooner?" asked McKinley, noting that several states had applied and been approved for the declaration triggering federal assistance before Michigan even made an application.
Whitmer did not respond to that in answering McKinley's question, which also dealt with other topics, saying: "I'm not going to go toe to toe with you on every allegation."
Republicans also pressed Whitmer on nursing homes.
"Why did it take you so long to change the policy ... of putting COVID patients back in nursing homes?" asked U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg, a Michigan Republican from Tipton.
Whitmer said that in retrospect, there are "probably a number of decisions we would have made some adjustment on."
But, "we were working with the best counsel of our public health experts," she said. Also, Michigan's experience with the coronavirus has been different from other states because of the exponential growth in cases experienced in metro Detroit.
OFFICIAL DEATH TOLL

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reviews deaths and adds overlooked cases to the count three days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (usually). Recovery counts are updated on Saturdays.
11 deaths were added today.

MDHHS said:
Regular reviews of death certificate data maintained in Vital Records reporting systems are conducted by MDHHS staff three times per week. As a part of this process, records that identify COVID-19 infection as a contributing factor to death are compared against all laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS). If a death certificate is matched to a confirmed COVID-19 case and that record in the MDSS does not indicate the individual died, the MDSS record is updated to indicate the death and the appropriate local health department is notified. These matched deaths are then included with mortality information posted to the Michigan Coronavirus website.
Detroit Metro (pop. 3,860,000 total; 1,796/sq. mi.; 694/sq km):*

35,600 confirmed / 4,292 dead
35,560 confirmed / 4,269 dead yesterday
(i.e. 23 new deaths, up 15 from this day last week)
Normal Detroit Metro Death Rate: 104 per day.**

Other Michigan (6,120,000; 65/sq. mi.; 25/sq km):

22,131 confirmed / 1,261 dead
21,972 confirmed / 1,247 dead yesterday
(i.e. 14 new deaths, down 4 from this day last week)
Normal not-Detroit Death Rate: 167 per day**

All Michigan (9,990,000; 103/sq. mi.; 40/sq km):

57,731 confirmed / 5,553 dead
57,532 confirmed / 5,516 dead yesterday
(i.e. 37 new deaths, up 11 from this day last week, same as last week with no adjustments)
Normal Michigan Death Rate: 271 per day.**

Death toll doubled since: April 21.
We were locked down from: March 24 (until April 30? May 21 June 1),
Masks have been mandatory in stores since: April 27 (until April 30?).

Detroit Metro Daily Deaths Last Seven Days:
38*** / 17*** / 25 / 19*** / 23 / 10 / 13***= 187***

State Government site, daily - today's archive;
State Gov site, total, includes breakdowns by sex, age, race and ethnicity - today's archive.
*Here defined as the City of Detroit, and Macomb, Oakland, and Wayne Counties, minus state and federal prisoners, who are not counted towards any county's cases, but are kept in categories of their own.
** As of 2018.
*** [14,] 17, 37, and 11 statewide deaths, respectively, were added on these days upon State review. I don't know how many were in Detroit.
[Edit: forgot about the first adjustment.]

One Ann Arbor man allegedly killed by his roommate in a Corona-related dispute (archive). The suspect has been released from custody while the investigation continues (archive).
One Flint security guard allegedly murdered for telling a woman that her daughter needed to wear a mask in a dollar store. Multiple suspects are in custody (archive, A&N thread).

Last edited:

EmuWarsVeteran

Cream Pangolin
kiwifarms.net
Alright. Spain news. Mostly good news. Cadiz is actually the second most province for job creation in spain this week, first most is seville. So good news all around for andalusia. Specially because this has been a REALLY good week for job creation overall. Politically things are moving forward at decent rates. Deescalation is still going, we might enter phase 3 this monday, we'll see. (Phase 4 is just total normalcy. Phase 3 is only restrictions are on massified events like football or concerts.) Overall. Really nice. Cadiz has fixed 15k jobs from the ERTEs and recovered another 3k on top. That is incredible. And the stocks are still going green for pretty much all of europe. Just really good.

On the circus side of things, Ayuso is back. After being told to lay off the fucking trash food already by the judges because we literally got laws regulating what is considered acceptable school food. She has just thrown her hands in the air and refused to serve any food at all. Which has gotten her sued again, but she said until the judge forces her she ain't doing shit. So I guess next week or so she'll get fined for being a cunt. Thankfuly the NGOs are already on it. But taking into account this is exactly what she accused the left of doing, and the left has kept their word and served appropiate food all throughout the pandemic, well, you can imagine the meme that are coming out of it. Overall. 5/5 would kek again. I mean seriously just making some Tapas instead isn't that fucking hard. We have so many restaurants that could help on that for really cheap prices. She's just retarded, or corrupt, or both. If fucking Kichy can figure it out everyone can.

And on other news. USA puts an import charge on french products and threatens to fo the same to spain, the UK, the EU as a whole, 9 other countries, and the motherfucking UN, over the bloody internet taxes. What the fuck is wrong with whoever took that decision I don't know but while threatening spain could work, threatening that many countries and the fucking EU and UN of all organizations is a very easy way to get told to shove it. Specially with how many imports you're gonna need just to fix those riots and the china ban already assfucking your economy. So... I guess we'll see if Trump can renationalize that supply chain fast enough. 'Cause if not that printer's gonna go full eurobeat until Venezuela wonders what the fuck was that inflation rate. I know for a fact spain ain't laying that tax off. At this point not having internet taxes is just asking for submerged economy ahoi. And we already got a large enough issue with that shit. It'd be too easy to commit tax fraud without the internet tax to fuck over all the cunts moving online just to dodge the state.

On coronachan news. Basically no news. Cadiz PROVINCE recorded 5 infected today, 0 yesterday. So yeah... Corona's fucking gone from here. Even the deescalation spike couldn't save her. Our waifu is dying.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I believe someone may have already mentioned Michigan's Stay Home/Safe is ending with a lot few restrictions by the end of next week. So, this will probably be my last update here.

My city: Three new cases in the last week with no deaths,
Workplace city: Neither new cases nor deaths for the second straight week.

County-wide, there were 176 new cases, 42 deaths, 344 people who went at least 30 days past their symptoms, and 210 less people who neither died nor qualified as recovered.

Even if I'm not quite gung ho about going out on a regular basis, I'll be happy to have less restrictions in place finally.

If this is your last update, thanks much for all your contributions. Plenty of good info. 👍

Here's an interesting Reason article. Some very good points made.

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On coronachan news. Basically no news. Cadiz PROVINCE recorded 5 infected today, 0 yesterday. So yeah... Corona's fucking gone from here. Even the deescalation spike couldn't save her. Our waifu is dying.
New cases are down across the board in much of the West. A good sign. However, there have been significant upticks in new cases in India, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Pakistan, and Qatar. Iran has also experienced a resurgence.

Europe is bringing it under control, as you say, but the Global South ain't looking so hot.

If this is your last update, thanks much for all your contributions. Plenty of good info. 👍

Here's an interesting Reason article. Some very good points made.

Widespread unemployment and a massive mental health crisis. Yep, there's no doubt about it. The lockdowns helped fuel the unrest.

Really, they did the whole thing wrong. Early screening and contact tracing would have allowed them to quarantine the sick instead of quarantining the healthy.

• Lunacy
Reactions: mothmans
Tags
None