Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Fanatical Pragmatist

kiwifarms.net
Probably not but its to early to tell...since its novel. There are reports of organ damage and renal failure. The Reaction to it however could end the human race for sure.
Anecdotal reports in a small number of cases =/= a common symptom that will affect a significant number of patients.

If somebody had said HIV AIDS wasnt a big deal because it caused no symptoms in anyone at all..they only had to wait 6-7 years.
Two entirely different groups of viruses.

As far as testing goes. Most of your positive tests are probably other CoronaViruses and NOT covid19. But there is a deadly form of SARS going around...their is no doubt.
Do you have a source for this?

I have heard that other coronaviruses may skew the data somewhat but not enough to account for "most positive tests" even remotely.

UntimelyDhelmise

Galar Purge Survivor
kiwifarms.net
Some people keep talking about how this is the "new normal" and we're "never getting certain things back" but I'm really not buying that. It's been like 4 months. Yes, for a while this shit is gonna suck with the masks, mass closures, social media sperging and social distancing, but people are already tired of it and going back to "normal" things ASAP. It's just a matter of when, not if.

March was a shitshow of rampant paranoia but most people seemed to have calmed down and realized they probably aren't going to die.

In the meantime though, we get to delight in shit like L.A. County closing their beaches once again, even though the chances of catching the virus at the damn beach are slim to none.

We'll also get to watch the arts & entertainment industry go to hell.

View attachment 1417293
Maybe, but the powers that be have done a fantastic job to keep the hysteria going. If it was allowed to run its course "naturally" the WuFlu would've been but a memory by now. But oh look there's riots going on and you better go out and protest or else you're a racist. Oh look cases spiked back up again, dunno how that could've possibly happened but better get back in your pods citizens. And even as we speak, oh look China's brewing another pandemic so I guess we'll have to social distance and never do anything fun forever now.

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, for people who live in areas where masks are mandated by the state/county, how is that going for you? Is everyone really being forced to wear the mask? The first day of the mandate, all the stores looked roughly the same. But two days later, I noticed stores in plazas putting on a show of solidarity and force. They all had the exact same sign out front (hand written on a white board) saying they would turn anyone away without a face mask, and had a hovering worker outside to enforce (don't envy that person). Even my favorite liquor store, which hasn't done much this entire time, jumped in on the fun. However, I noticed stores that stand alone (have their own parking lot, not attached to anything), had much less enforcement and compliance. Kroger gives the least shit, they couldn't possibly try any less. I mostly shop there.

The stores need to band together to enforce this, because the police already said they ain't touching this with a 5 ft pole. Everyone already fucking hates the cops, the last thing they need is video of them beating some black guy for not masking up in Safeway. WA really tried to make it a misdemeanor, and impose a fine on people. But there is some debate over whether the governor has the ability to pass laws like that. It's all sketchy as hell, and I feel bad for the minimum wage workers who have to enforce the state's will. They don't get paid enough to do that. At the same time, I'm hoping for some chimp out videos.
I'm in a city that has a mandatory mask rule in all stores and public places. I've only seen a few people not wearing a mask in a store and most shoppers comply with it. Our numbers are in the hundreds so far since January. I still see a lot of social distancing. The city I live is lower than some other areas in my county that are in the thousands. I'm not hearing about any fines, but we're good so far.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
Here in the midwest USA I went to Aldi to gather vital soda and candy supplies and about 20% of shoppers were wearing masks, otherwise there wasn't any differences than before the Shanghai Sniffles invaded.

I'm half-watching a livestream of protests on woke dot net and honestly. If that shit is being allowed then nearly every other summer gathering should be allowed and damn the consequences.... unless the protests are being allowed in order to Darwin-ize certain idiots right out of the gene pool. I don't know. Ignore me.

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here in the midwest USA I went to Aldi to gather vital soda and candy supplies and about 20% of shoppers were wearing masks, otherwise there wasn't any differences than before the Shanghai Sniffles invaded.

I'm half-watching a livestream of protests on woke dot net and honestly. If that shit is being allowed then nearly every other summer gathering should be allowed and damn the consequences.... unless the protests are being allowed in order to Darwin-ize certain idiots right out of the gene pool. I don't know. Ignore me.
Every time I see a person hanging around an aisle without a mask I stay far away from them while still wearing my mask. One of the times I went to a store some fucker was hanging around the only aisle I intended to go in, without a mask while coughing. I stayed far away from him. Like I said in my previous post since my area has the rule in, it's weird seeing people without masks and they stand out.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
So, for people who live in areas where masks are mandated by the state/county, how is that going for you? Is everyone really being forced to wear the mask? The first day of the mandate, all the stores looked roughly the same. But two days later, I noticed stores in plazas putting on a show of solidarity and force. They all had the exact same sign out front (hand written on a white board) saying they would turn anyone away without a face mask, and had a hovering worker outside to enforce (don't envy that person). Even my favorite liquor store, which hasn't done much this entire time, jumped in on the fun. However, I noticed stores that stand alone (have their own parking lot, not attached to anything), had much less enforcement and compliance. Kroger gives the least shit, they couldn't possibly try any less. I mostly shop there.

The stores need to band together to enforce this, because the police already said they ain't touching this with a 5 ft pole. Everyone already fucking hates the cops, the last thing they need is video of them beating some black guy for not masking up in Safeway. WA really tried to make it a misdemeanor, and impose a fine on people. But there is some debate over whether the governor has the ability to pass laws like that. It's all sketchy as hell, and I feel bad for the minimum wage workers who have to enforce the state's will. They don't get paid enough to do that. At the same time, I'm hoping for some chimp out videos.
I work at a grocery store in a state with a mandatory mask order in place. We haven't been directed to say anything at my level (area manager), and I haven't been directed to tell my employees to say anything, either. I think the only people directed to say anything are the people at the door. I'm honestly not too sure how aggressively we're enforcing things; it's only been a couple days and I haven't particularly noticed people not wearing masks in the store, so I assume we must be saying something at the door.

I dunno. I highly doubt our store manager is interested in having one of our people get assaulted over this, but they'll obviously still wanna comply with what the state wants. Nobody's flipped out on anyone yet, so...fingers crossed, I guess?

Reactions: terrace mouse

FuckedUp

kiwifarms.net
Every time I see a person hanging around an aisle without a mask I stay far away from them while still wearing my mask. One of the times I went to a store some fucker was hanging around the only aisle I intended to go in, without a mask while coughing. I stayed far away from him. Like I said in my previous post since my area has the rule in, it's weird seeing people without masks and they stand out.
Are you or is anyone you live with immunocompromised? If not, it's actually selfish for you to avoid getting it because you have an infinitesimally low chance of dying from it and are avoiding contributing to herd immunity.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bitch, bitch, bitch..."they" are bitching because people went out and spread the ChiCom Flu. NFG. NFG whatsoever. Since "they" blessed "protesters" running all over the place sans mask and social distancing, but persecuted law-abiding people who just want to go to church and worship, they can go fuck themselves. Yeah, good fucking luck trying to put people under house arrest again. Government has lost all credibility. Totally fucked it up. Way to go, dunces! The smart people have factored the ChiCom Flu into their lives. Very small chance of catching it, even smaller chance for most people of dying from it. Blow me, Newsom. Recall this fuck.

Ghost In The Rain

kiwifarms.net
I mean if a majority of Americans are mistrustful of the government and refusing to follow orders they feel violate their freedoms, then I would argue its actually a success of the education system.
5 weeks ago all of the "public health experts" were saying that people who go out into crowded public spaces should be shamed. Then some guy ODed on fentanyl. So 4 weeks ago all of the "public health experts" were saying that people who DON'T go out into public crowded public spaces should be shamed. There were no study results or anything of the like to significantly change the scientific knowledge of the disease at that time.

So 2 possibilities exist. Either the disease is as dire of a threat as it was in May and the 'experts' want the mobs of liberals to spread it and die due to non-scientific reasons, or the disease is not a significant threat and the shutdowns and other measures were unnecessary but insisted upon due to non-scientific reasons.

In either case, it is clear that the public health experts, who derive their authority over the populace via the population's faith in expert-pushed science and academia are not acting in accordance with actual sound science. Therefore, there is no reason for the public to have any faith in those experts, and the public's faith in science and academia gets to be significantly eroded for entirely justified reasons. The american spirit of mistrust in the government and media and all of that only amplifies the effect.

Science does not play politics. When the 'experts' and the 'scientists' who derive all of their value from science decide to play politics, they inflict the population's distrust of politicians onto science. It isn't like this is the first case either, this corruption has been spreading for a long time and is the reason why so much anti-mainstream-science rhetoric exists in the first place. By and large most of the skeptics do believe in the core tenets of the scientific method, in much the same way Martin Luther was a christian who believed in the J-man and his dad. The problem is that all of the big media experts and scientists and even many scientific journals nowadays are giving the world more than enough complaints to write down and nail them to the doors of our local laboratory.

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bitch, bitch, bitch..."they" are bitching because people went out and spread the ChiCom Flu. NFG. NFG whatsoever. Since "they" blessed "protesters" running all over the place sans mask and social distancing, but persecuted law-abiding people who just want to go to church and worship, they can go fuck themselves. Yeah, good fucking luck trying to put people under house arrest again. Government has lost all credibility. Totally fucked it up. Way to go, dunces! The smart people have factored the ChiCom Flu into their lives. Very small chance of catching it, even smaller chance for most people of dying from it. Blow me, Newsom. Recall this fuck.

Los Angeles is known for making bad choices. If the riots and looting from 1992 to weeks ago wasn't proof enough.

Mrs. Adams

Russian Bot
kiwifarms.net
Somebody I hung out with for a couple hours on Sunday has tested positive for waflu. So I figured I'd check out the lowdown on CA's much-hyped free testing. It turns out, one local test places won't test without symptoms, the other is booked up for at least a week, and my insurance won't cover private testing until I'm actually sick. I'm glad I'm working from home and don't have to worry about infecting coworkers.

Edit: After trying repeated for about 24 hours, I have wrangled a test. It'll be in two days. I'm debating the risk/reward of going shopping between now and then, since I'm out of food. On a tangentially related note, I picked an insurance company nurse's brain on antibody tests (like, do we know anything after three months of this) and she said antibody tests are 80% reliable, so take three and average them out.

Last edited:
Only Americans can make a public health and safety crisis into a political one.
It was only ever a Political one, The WHO completely fucked us by letting China hide the thing and let the Terrorists that we call the mainstream media whip everyone into a frenzy over something that nobody knew anything about because China was trying to save face.

Fanatical Pragmatist

kiwifarms.net
In either case, it is clear that the public health experts, who derive their authority over the populace via the population's faith in expert-pushed science and academia are not acting in accordance with actual sound science. Therefore, there is no reason for the public to have any faith in those experts, and the public's faith in science and academia gets to be significantly eroded for entirely justified reasons. The american spirit of mistrust in the government and media and all of that only amplifies the effect.
Oh absolutely. What's been pissing me off is the conflation of Public Health Official (re:Unelected Bureaucrat) with a practicing scientist. Sure the CDC and state agencies put out reports and academic papers, but people are taking the words of men and women appointed by politicians to run government agencies as if they are the holy gospel, as well as whichever "expert" the CNNBCABC journo crowd throws up there - meanwhile actual studies by academia (some of which are now passing the peer-review process) exist which are contradicting the words of said unelected bureaucrat "health officials" and journos with a med degree.

Its even more hypocritical, at least for the left, because Fauci is this infallible omniscient being with unquestionable authority on all things virus-related, while Aurelia Skipwith is a corrupt Trump-appointed partisan hack who cannot be trusted and everything the USFWS does under Skipwith is tainted with anti-science and therefore wrong.
I'm not even saying Fauci is wrong about most things (just questionable) or that I agree with all of Skipwith's leadership (I dont); just that its hypocritical that "Public Science Bureaucrat > Academic Study except when we don't like who appointed Public Science Bureaucrat".

It's fun to just skim over this thread every now and then. Only Americans can make a public health and safety crisis into a political one. It's been a wild ride watching everything from the democrats/republicans to the communists or the jews get blamed while they riot and generally infect the fuck out of each other because Freedom.
Good thinking, Citizen! Who needs "freedom" anyways?
+10 points to your Social Credit Score.
Now back to your pod.

Tags
None