Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Borax Bozo

Here until I can finally rest.
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for all your work in collating this stuff, guys.
I've personally decided now would be a good time for me to actually build up a stock of nonperishables. I don't expect to survive a full shutdown of society, but I want to at least be able to get through a period of "oh god the supermarkets are empty and pizza is clearly no longer an option"

I should take the time to get fit so if I get anything it has the least chance of taking me out.
Todos, todos...

PicsNGifs

kiwifarms.net
So, I'm pretty sure I've caught the coronavirus, and I don't have any anti HIV medicine on me, unlimited (for one person) food, and not much health insurance.
This is the worst "flu" I've ever had and my symptoms seems to not be improving, or getting worse.
Any tips for surviving until I see the doctor Wednesday, serious or sarcastic, because I think we should all have a little fun during a tragedy

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
Japan somehow gets by with only minor damage, you could see them become a regional superpower again. A lot of people there would likely want to be annexed by some other nation in the area, and Japan seems like the most likely country for them to turn to.
Japan seems ready enough for the crisis. I was chatting with a friend who lives and works in Tokyo, yesterday she told me that the authorities closed all the parks of the city, and are ready to close all the public spaces if the situation worsens. Today she had planned to go out and buy a ton of food in case they give the order for the citizens to not leave their homes. The same kind of preparations are being made here by family and friends, since we aren't far from the region where the worst of the infection started. Now I just hope that Italy will close the borders at last.

AltisticRight

Free 🌽 202 E 37th St VA, Richmond, 901-922-9912
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hopefully they didn't just roll up and shoot the person or something fucking exceptional like that.
I'm pretty sure they did.
There is one verified (somewhat) case. A North Korean politician who had contact with potential virus carriers of Wuhan was executed after refusing to quarantine himself.
Only Africa and North Korea will make China's (and potentially Japan's) handling of the virus look fucking heavenly and humanitarian. Though their vaccination works, just throw those with and/or might have the virus into a shooting squad.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
It has a lot of doomsday tier characteristics. Mutates easily, contagious without symptoms, multiple infection vectors, very slow killing, apparently hard to test for, and the potential for reinfection. The big thing I don't think people have fully come to grips with yet is that even with the obviously understated death rate, you have to realize that the people who are recovering are mostly doing so in full ICU care, and with artificial ventilation. If doctors keep getting sick, or even if they just get overwhelmed by sheer numbers of patients then you'll eventually see that number skyrocket because it will be impossible to treat everyone.

Biggest problem will be with our JIT pharmaceutical supply chain. Hospitals run out of shit every once in a while under normal operations. If we have a massive epidemic then all the pressors will be gone so good luck.

Staffing, vents and bed availability are much less of an issue in comparison. Places like NYC could potentially be hit hard due to high population density and the fact that they don't have much excess medical capacity.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, I'm pretty sure I've caught the coronavirus, and I don't have any anti HIV medicine on me, unlimited (for one person) food, and not much health insurance.
This is the worst "flu" I've ever had and my symptoms seems to not be improving, or getting worse.
Any tips for surviving until I see the doctor Wednesday, serious or sarcastic, because I think we should all have a little fun during a tragedy
Aspirin, ibuprofen, zinc and oxygen. It's unfortunate that it's not a bacteria because if it were we'd kick its ass with antibiotics.

Borax Bozo

Here until I can finally rest.
kiwifarms.net
Japan seems ready enough for the crisis. I was chatting with a friend who lives and works in Tokyo, yesterday she told me that the authorities closed all the parks of the city, and are ready to close all the public spaces if the situation worsens. Today she had planned to go out and buy a ton of food in case they give the order for the citizens to not leave their homes. The same kind of preparations are being made here by family and friends, since we aren't far from the region where the worst of the infection started. Now I just hope that Italy will close the borders at last.

Man I just realised - Retaisai and COMITIA are going to be deathtraps this year, aren't they?
If it's still around by Comiket time Japan won't have an otaku population anymore next year. :stress:

EmuWarsVeteran

Lord Kek's Faithful Servant.
kiwifarms.net
What blows my mind about all of this is how Corona chan seems to be able to still slip past despite such extreme measures.

Well they have yet to take the most basic measures so it's no wonder its not working. It's like having a patient with pneumonia and cutting his leg off. Sure, it's extreme, but it won't fix the god damned pneumonia.

It has a lot of doomsday tier characteristics. Mutates easily, contagious without symptoms, multiple infection vectors, very slow killing, apparently hard to test for, and the potential for reinfection. The big thing I don't think people have fully come to grips with yet is that even with the obviously understated death rate, you have to realize that the people who are recovering are mostly doing so in full ICU care, and with artificial ventilation. If doctors keep getting sick, or even if they just get overwhelmed by sheer numbers of patients then you'll eventually see that number skyrocket because it will be impossible to treat everyone.

To be fair the flu also has all those characteristics. Jokes aside. Most patients don't need ICU. They're technically there because of quarantine but most infectees outside of china recovered through bed and food. What people don't take into account is that's also how most BLACK DEATH survivors recovered, so you know, not very reassuring.

Well, the strain in Iran has already been announced to have been a different strain. They're claiming it didn't originate from China, but I'd say that should be taken with a massive grain of salt. As for it reinfecting, it's very much possible. If during a mutation a virus's protein coat (capsid) changes, then in most instances it will bypass any immunity developed for a different strain of the virus.

I'd take anything the Iranis say with massive grains of salt. The chinese own half the god damned country they're not gonna go after them.

Ten new cases of coronavirus in Iran, one dead
(Reuters) - Ten new cases of coronavirus have been detected in Iran, one of whom has died, Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur said on state TV on Saturday.

The new numbers announced by the health ministry bring the total number of cases of the new coronavirus in the country to 28, with five of the total having died.
Link

Edit to add:
Rapid Surge in Iran Coronavirus Cases Is ‘Very Worrisome’: WHO
A surge in coronavirus cases and deaths in Iran is raising concern because the outbreak can’t be traced directly back to China, the head of the World Health Organization said.

The cases, which suggest rapid spread in a country outside of the epidemic’s center in China, are “very worrisome,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters Friday at a press briefing in Geneva. The window of opportunity to stop the spread in countries outside the place where it began is “really narrowing,” he said. “This outbreak could go in any direction.”

In Iran, there have been 18 cases* (28 cases now) and four deaths* (five deaths now) in just the past two days, Tedros said. One case was also reported Friday in Lebanon that was directly linked to Iran. Health experts are racing to limit new cases outside China, where severe quarantine measures are in place.

Tedros said the WHO is getting information from Iranian authorities, “but we have to engage them even more.”

“The concern is that we’re seeing a very rapid increase in a matter of days,” said Sylvie Briand, director of global infectious hazard preparedness at the WHO.
Link

When "growth" is that high and close to linear yet again it's not real spread you're measuring, the limiting factor is how many are being tested. Iran probably has a lot more infected than they know.

If you notice pneumonia symptoms go to urgent care asap, if not, have fun, relax, take some frenadol or spidifren depending on symptoms, and I dunno just stay healthy physically and mentaly.

Last edited:

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
If you notice pneumonia symptoms go to urgent care asap, if not, have fun, relax, take some frenadol or spidifren depending on symptoms, and I dunno just stay healthy physically and mentaly.

Well, telling the guy the symptoms of viral pneumonia would be helpful.

If you're short of breath, go to the emergency department. In general what this is going to feel like is that you can't move enough air into your lungs, you breathe faster in response to that and then you'll start feeling very tired. You may or may not have chest pain. Or a productive cough or dry cough or no cough at all. The breathing part is what's important.

It's most likely the flu but I have seen people go from fine to ECMO in the span of a single shift because of the flu. If you are breathing fine and you can keep liquids down then don't worry, your body is doing all it can to fight off your infection and you're just gonna feel like shit for a while until it clears.

Well until your blood turns black and a chestburster pops out.

la mort

ejaculation is murder
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
IMG_20200222_160734.jpg

33 new cases in the last hours, this is insane.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net

No. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Otherwise the death rates would be massively skyrocketing because China does not have the resources to put the amount of recovered onto that kind of care. Even if China's number are fake the 20,000 or so who're recovered were not all admitted to ICU on artificial ventilation, got better, and released. They just don't have the medical facilities for that.

The symptoms aren't specific is a big part of the issue and the difference between severity of cases is another large part. Certain people are affected much more harshly and others have it and just have regular flu/cold symptoms. That's where the problem with it comes in. It's cold and flu season for a lot of countries right now so the reason it's able to spread and make pockets is because some people have it, aren't extremely sick, and thus are just going about their day as usual with a 'common cold' like symptoms when in reality they have corona and thus spread it. This is very likely the reason Italy and Iran have pockets because some dumbass had only minor symptoms, visited those countries, spread it around and now the incubation period is up. So we're seeing a bunch of cases. There's probably some pockets in the world where this has already gone around but mildly and the only reason it suddenly gets scrutinized is when several deaths occur which flags the medical establishment then they test everyone and *bam* we've got outbreak numbers because the focus is there.

Tho. At this point how easy it is to transfer I'm starting to think people literally breathe it out. It seems crazy as to how quickly it is able to spread between a group of people.

Last edited:

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
I lost the quote, but at the idea that the virus has mutated and all that, let me give you a reminder that only one result of investigation isn't enough to make a conclussion. You need replication to finally have a confirmed outcome. A lot of people (I'm looking at you, Jim) are sharing info about things that are now only theories, and because different countries are making their own investigations alone, we're gonna have a lot of different conclusions because the test subjects are all different. It was the same with the AIDS-type rumor. It was only what once lab apparently found out.

And people need to be careful with this because we already entered the worst stage: hysteria. And hysterical people are very dangerous.

Here's the complete list of animals, somewhat chronological:
- Bats
- Snakes
- Pangolins/Armadillos
- Dogs
- Salamanders
- Thot who's the head of Wuhan's virus lab

You forgot

- Kathy Zhu.