Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Aaa0aaa0

internet sticker enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
So, I'm pretty sure I've caught the coronavirus, and I don't have any anti HIV medicine on me, unlimited (for one person) food, and not much health insurance.
This is the worst "flu" I've ever had and my symptoms seems to not be improving, or getting worse.
Any tips for surviving until I see the doctor Wednesday, serious or sarcastic, because I think we should all have a little fun during a tragedy
Idk if this is actually good for a cold like this but I'd suggest pseudoephedrine or mucinex. It helps decongest me beautifully. If you're not sure, call your pharmacy or a local one and ask the pharmacist. Tell em your symptoms and go from there.

Jeffrey Epstein

Have your whites spayed or neutered pls
kiwifarms.net
I lost the quote, but at the idea that the virus has mutated and all that, let me give you a reminder that only one result of investigation isn't enough to make a conclussion. You need replication to finally have a confirmed outcome. A lot of people (I'm looking at you, Jim) are sharing info about things that are now only theories, and because different countries are making their own investigations alone, we're gonna have a lot of different conclusions because the test subjects are all different. It was the same with the AIDS-type rumor. It was only what once lab apparently found out.

And people need to be careful with this because we already entered the worst stage: hysteria. And hysterical people are very dangerous.

You forgot

- Kathy Zhu.

Well yes, Jim and Tim Pool and perhaps Mr. Obvious are all flinging information from 4chan and other places and it can behave in a viral way in and of itself. They aggravate the whim of hysteria and for me and others that's not very healthy. Styx is pretty measured and also that British health consultant guy, so I am not terribly worried. However, the blackpilled information like the possible higher death rate, 2nd infection, strains, transmission ease, and quarantining almost a billion people just speak to me in a way that nothing else has really managed to do. I get rattled sometimes, but I try to bring it down with thinking more realistically. I mean, there's got to be a silver lining somewhere right? If I wash my hands and just use common sense, I'm just not sure how likely someone in the 1st world like me is to get the virus. I really need the information to make myself less blackpilled sometimes though, and while it's good to listen to all sources, it's definitely not good to pay a lot of attention to random things that are hysterical and unconfirmed.

And also, I think Trump said it will be a non issue come April? Not sure if he's boomering it up or if he knows the situation will be handled more appropriately than we think.

Last edited:

HonsPonzud

A cuck forever for supporting Comicsgate R-e-tARDZ
kiwifarms.net
Talk about smoking gun...

*Conspiracies Intensify and reaches a new level*

Do we still all remember the Bill and Melinda Gates "sponsored" event 201 virus outbreak simulation a few months ago before this shit went out..

Last edited:

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
So, I'm pretty sure I've caught the coronavirus, and I don't have any anti HIV medicine on me, unlimited (for one person) food, and not much health insurance.
This is the worst "flu" I've ever had and my symptoms seems to not be improving, or getting worse.
Any tips for surviving until I see the doctor Wednesday, serious or sarcastic, because I think we should all have a little fun during a tragedy

OK, why do you think you have corona? Have you been in contact with people from Mainland China with the disease? Other known contacts? There is ordinary flu going around as in every year and this year's is also pretty nasty.

Why would you need HIV medicine? I'm confused. Are you actually HIV+? Corona hsn't anything in common with HIV, whatever unscientific nonsense some people have been putting around. Are you saying you're out of HIV meds you usually take? In that case, you need to call someone who can get your prescription in.

Take usual care of yourself as you would with any flu -stay warm, take plenty of liquids, treat symptoms with OTC meds like paracetmol, cough medicine, and call whatever health authority you have for advice. No idea where you are or how things work where you are, but they may want to test you and not have you roll into a doctor's office and infect whoever is around that day. If you truly have reason to believe it's corona and not generic seasonal flu (which is actually no joke) you shouldn't be going out into crowded places. Call someone and check what the procedure is. In the UK we have to call 111 (NHS helpline) and we will be directed to specially set-up 'corona pods' at local hospitals. Nobody wants any just rolling into a GP's office or general ER and infecting whole waiting rooms and staff.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well yes, Jim and Tim Pool and perhaps Mr. Obvious are all flinging information from 4chan and other places and it can behave in a viral way in and of itself. They aggravate the whim of hysteria and for me and others that's not very healthy. Styx is pretty measured and also that British health consultant guy, so I am not terribly worried. However, the blackpilled information like the possible higher death rate, 2nd infection, strains, transmission ease, and quarantining almost a billion people just speak to me in a way that nothing else has really managed to do. I get rattled sometimes, but I try to bring it down with thinking more realistically. I mean, there's got to be a silver lining somewhere right? If I wash my hands and just use common sense, I'm just not sure how likely someone in the 1st world like me is to get the virus. I really need the information to make myself less blackpilled sometimes though, and while it's good to listen to all sources, it's definitely not good to pay a lot of attention to random things that are hysterical and unconfirmed.

And also, I think Trump said it will be a non issue come April? Not sure if he's boomering it up or if he knows the situation will be handled more appropriately than we think.

I would suggest those feeling overly scared/hysterical step back from the computer for a bit, for starters. Can you catch this virus? Yes. Is there a chance of dying from it? Small. Best things to do is to wash hands, cover sneezes, try to avoid public places if cases have been found. The best weapon against hysteria is common sense.

Would also reiterate that if the CCP had handled this better conditions in China wouldn't be near as difficult as they are. CCP knew of this beforehand. Apparently made no preparations. Then when doctors raised a concern they were arrested; one's dead. If you notice, look outside China and countries are moving to address and combat this virus. Nobody's been arrested for voicing concerns.

We, as a world, will get through this. Always have, always will. There will be economic changes in the wake of this, without a doubt. Have to be. World has been given a graphic lesson in the folly of putting too many industrial eggs in one basket. Possibility of political changes in China. As things stand, the Xi regime demonstrates on a daily basis that China is no great power. A great power has great medical systems, great water systems, doesn't shoot the messenger, doesn't build death houses for the sick, and sure as hell doesn't weld people's doors and gates shut. China's Chernobyl.

So step back, take a deep breath, get some fresh air, take care of yourself, and pray for those suffering in China.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, there's got to be a silver lining somewhere right?
If the rumors are true that it's mutating, we could potentially strike a lucky break and get an asymptomatic weak-ass strain that kills nobody and inoculates you to the real deal like with the previous Ebola outbreak. Otherwise we're just gonna have to try our best to dodge kung flu until a vaccine is invented and hope it doesn't just infect you with a full blown virus by accident because it was a rush job.

Jeffrey Epstein

Have your whites spayed or neutered pls
kiwifarms.net
I would suggest those feeling overly scared/hysterical step back from the computer for a bit, for starters. Can you catch this virus? Yes. Is there a chance of dying from it? Small. Best things to do is to wash hands, cover sneezes, try to avoid public places if cases have been found. The best weapon against hysteria is common sense.

Would also reiterate that if the CCP had handled this better conditions in China wouldn't be near as difficult as they are. CCP knew of this beforehand. Apparently made no preparations. Then when doctors raised a concern they were arrested; one's dead. If you notice, look outside China and countries are moving to address and combat this virus. Nobody's been arrested for voicing concerns.

We, as a world, will get through this. Always have, always will. There will be economic changes in the wake of this, without a doubt. Have to be. World has been given a graphic lesson in the folly of putting too many industrial eggs in one basket. Possibility of political changes in China. As things stand, the Xi regime demonstrates on a daily basis that China is no great power. A great power has great medical systems, great water systems, doesn't shoot the messenger, doesn't build death houses for the sick, and sure as hell doesn't weld people's doors and gates shut. China's Chernobyl.

So step back, take a deep breath, get some fresh air, take care of yourself, and pray for those suffering in China.

If the rumors are true that it's mutating, we could potentially strike a lucky break and get an asymptomatic weak-ass strain that kills nobody and inoculates you to the real deal like with the previous Ebola outbreak. Otherwise we're just gonna have to try our best to dodge kung flu until a vaccine is invented and hope it doesn't just infect you with a full blown virus by accident because it was a rush job.

Thank you for putting things into perspective for myself and others. What should I make of Iranians reporting that conditions for patients deteriorate extremely rapidly though, or some of the more bleak news we've gotten?

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thank you for putting things into perspective for myself and others. What should I make of Iranians reporting that conditions for patients deteriorate extremely rapidly though, or some of the more bleak news we've gotten?
Probably that they live in a desert hellscape and are of extremely poor health anyways. Have you seen the Middle East from Google Maps? Saudi Arabia is a toilet.

Gender of peace

Fully automated luxury autism
kiwifarms.net
Wuflu supply chain impacts for Jan 21 via r/supply chain. Report on the projected economic slowdown is attached.

Post | archive

Supply chain issues continue to extend beyond automotive and tech; now it's starting to affect household product supply chains. According to Forbes (Link) the American giant Procter and Gamble (2019 revenue: 67.68bn USD) says that it too now has significant problems. “We access 387 suppliers in China that ship to us globally more than 9,000 different materials, impacting approximately 17,600 different finished product items,” Jon Moeller, Procter & Gamble’s chief operating officer and chief financial officer, said Thursday at a conference in New York. “Each of these suppliers faces their own challenges in resuming operations.” The article adds that this will affect P&G's profits in the China retail market.

Bloomberg - another automotive runs into problems; Nissan is warning of disruptions in plants as far as the US due to the virus epidemic leading to parts shortages. They procure more than 800 parts from factories in Hubei and are concerned that many of these pats will run out (including such things as brake hoses and air conditioning controllers) if the plants do not come back online by today (the date the government indicated most production could resume). This could lead some Nissan output in Japan to be suspended as early as Jan 23rd with Malaysia following not longer after. Plants in the US, UK, India, Mexico, Russia and Spain may also have to stop production. A survey of their suppliers found only 58% said they'd be able to resume by Feb 10th with many others saying they couldn't because they couldn't get necessary government approval. Of those that have gone back online, only half of them could get the majority of their workforce working. (Link)

Reuters - major automotive parts manufacturer Valeo (19.48bn EUR revenue in 2019) says that most of its Chinese factories are now back online but not at full operational capacity. It expects production to fall by 2% this year and adds that that it is too early to evaluate the impact of the virus on the company's 2020 results and the wider auto industry. (Link)

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) says that Asia-Pacific airlines could lose $27.8 bn to coronavirus according to Philstar (Link). The estimate is based on projections of a 13-percent full-year decline in passenger demand, mostly in China. IATA's CEO says that this will be the first time since the 2008-2009 financial crisis that demand for air travel has declined and that stopping the virus is a top priority. Airlines in China's domestic market alone are estimated to lose around $12.8 billion in revenues, reversing an expected 4.8% growth into a 8.2% contraction.

Food prices - China produces 80-90% of the worlds garlic supply (depending on which article you read) and the price of it is rising sharply. Prices in the US are up 29% from last year whilst wholesale prices are up even more to 60% higher than this time last year. The reason is difficulties in transportation and a shortage of labour as most people are yet to return to work (either because they're unwilling or they're physically unable). (Link).

Amazon is beginning to worry about Prime day in July - the Seattle Times reports (link). Third party merchants account for about 60% of its sales and it has reached out to these merchants to understand how they might be impacted. Over the past few weeks, Amazon has responded to the crisis by making larger and more frequent orders of Chinese-made products that had already been shipped to the United States, according to company emails and consultants who work with major brands. Some of its suppliers have cut back on advertising and promotions on the site so they don’t run out of products too quickly. “Out of an abundance of caution, we are working with suppliers to secure additional inventory to ensure we maintain our selection for customers,” an Amazon spokeswoman said. The company later added, “We are monitoring developments related to the coronavirus and taking appropriate steps as needed.” Amazon’s algorithms have now asked for six to eight weeks of supply on products made in China instead of just two or three weeks.

The Taiwanese commonwealth magazine has a thoroughly interesting read on whether Taiwanese companies can cope with the Coronavirus (link). It focuses on The Formosa Plastics Group (revenue: 67.2bn USD) first which has forecast that the coronavirus scare will hit it far harder than did the SARS crisis in 2003, with first quarter revenues, which were originally expected to take a turn for the better, likely to slump from the previous quarter. If China shuts down for an extended period of time and inventories build up, “under the worst case scenario, the crack spread [the difference in price between a refined product and crude oil] would fall below US$2, and we would cut production, which would mean we were producing below cost,” Formosa Petrochemical Corp. President Tsao Minh explained. Other industries are examined; automotive has significant issues which we all now know, but steel should be OK from a supply perspective because raw material comes from Australia, Brazil or Canada. The article finishes by explaining that the worst may yet be to come for the entertainment and tourism industries.

Getting workers physically back to work - the SCMP (South China Morning Post) reports (link) that provincial governments in China’s east coast manufacturing hubs are chartering buses, planes and trains to get workers back into their factories to get things moving again; passenger traffic on public transport is only 1/5th of what it was this time last year. Couples returning to work at open factories are eligible for a one-off subsidy of 500 yuan (US$71), while a company that hires more staff than in the same period a year earlier can also receive subsidies up to 300,000 yuan (US$42,800) whilst the city of Yiwu is refunding bus and train tickets for workers who return if they arrive before tomorrow.

Economic woes spread to companies who don't have supply chains: the Epoch Times has an article (link) waring that many small to medium sized enterprises don't have large cash reserves and may struggle if the situation continues for a sustained period. Just 34 percent of nearly 1,000 small and medium-sized firms said they could survive for a month on current cashflow, a recent survey by Tsinghua University and Peking University showed. A third said they could last for two months, while 18 percent said they could stick it out for three months. One analyst estimates that total job losses in China could be as high as 4.5 million.

Apple's Foxconn and Pegatron factories might be open, but don't assume they're fully staffed says MPR News (link). "One production line used to have 4,000 people. Now there are about a dozen remaining. My own production line usually has 1,000 workers, with about 60 now remaining," says a female hanjia worker at Foxconn. (Hanjia means winter break, i.e. people who continue working through the spring holiday that most Chinese take off). Smaller manufacturers are having a harder time. A rare earths magnet maker that normally employs about 300 people in the city of Hangzhou, south of Kunshan, received permission to reopen from local authorities last week. The factory was able to begin manufacturing again with a skeleton crew after buying a large disinfectant machine. Rare earth magnets are used in everything from electronics to motors. For any factory to reopen now, "There's paperwork that has to be submitted to the local government, and that includes guaranteeing masks, some other protective gear that employees can wear, a disinfecting schedule," says manager Jen Ambrose, one of the few Americans who works at the magnet company.

A white paper has arrived! Dun and Bradstreet have done a great report on the economic impact of the coronavirus. If you're into economics, this is definitely worth a 15 minute read. Some takeaways: 90% of all active business in China are affected. At least 51,000 companies around the world have one or more direct tier 1 suppliers and at least 5 million have at least one or more tier 2 suppliers. Alternative countries for suppliers: Electrical machinery and parts could come from Brazil, the nuclear industry could tap Chile or Singapore, Furniture, plastics, toys and games could be covered by Mexico and Brazil, Motor vehicle parts as well as optical and surgical products could be covered by Chile, Colombia or India. Growth is certainly going to drop below previous forecasts but how much by depends on how fast the virus is contained.

Attachments

• DNB_Business_Impact_of_the_Coronavirus_US.pdf
    815.8 KB · Views: 28

PepsiVanilla

kiwifarms.net
I’m pretty sure this is beyond control at this point. All countries had to do was ban all flights to and from China and it would have contained the virus. Now we’re seeing reports in Iran and Italy and the numbers are increasing.

They should cancel the Olympics or postpone them.

I don't know if banning all Chinese air travel would have actually been enough, but yeah that boggles me too how they wouldn't take such a basic obvious measure. Has *any* country even done this yet?

Apathy is my superpower

vulva gape 2020
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kuwait is evacuating citizens and halts all commercial flights from and to Iran:

Kuwait Airways says that it will be sending a number of flights to evacuate 700 passengers from the Iranian city of Mashhad starting on Saturday after Kuwait halted all flights to and from Iran amid fears from a coronavirus outbreak.

The announcement of the evacuation flights comes days after the coronavirus outbreak, also known as corona, spread to several Iranian cities. Iranian authorities say the outbreak began in the city of Qom and resulted in six deaths as of Saturday.

Kuwait Airways added it “will fulfill any mandate it has from the responsible authorities to evacuate more travelers whenever the need arises so as to ensure their safe return to the homeland.”

Iranian authorities confirmed the detection of at least 10 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday and two more deaths.

TEHRAN – The number of people diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19, in Iran has increased to 28, of whom six have so far lost their lives.

“Up to now, 785 persons suspected of having the virus have been tested at clinics nationwide,” deputy health minister Kiyanoush Jahanpour said, adding that over the past day ten new cases of infection were confirmed.

Out of the ten new cases, eight are in the city of Qom and two have come from Qom and hospitalized in Tehran, he explained, IRNA reported.

Last edited:

Dog-O-Tron 5000v5.0

Shitlord
Verified Kiwileak
kiwifarms.net
I'm not worried about getting the virus personally. I am worried about near term economic effects. I predict we will start to see empty shelves in American stores by summer of both hard and soft goods. I think most companies will try and ride it out before giving up on Chinese production recovery and the inherent costs of both moving production to other Asian countries and South America, as well as the increase of costs in making the goods in countries with higher wages than China. The last ditch solution would be to move production back to the US, because the cost of goods would skyrocket if produced at US wages.

This will only serve to accelerate the Retail Apocalypse. 5000 stores in 2018, 10,000 in 2019. Probably 20,000 in 2020, and several massive chains closing their doors. Spike in unemployment as hundreds of thousands are fired. All levels will be effected, from hourly drones to executives.

Like the pivot to the housing collapse in the 2008 election, this will massively change the narrative in October. Trump may not survive this, as his big achievement has been the economy. Despite the fact that he's not a Globalist, and it's the globalist economy which is the root cause of this, he will be blamed. The candidate who can best promise relief to the unemployed and underemployed with government handouts will probably carry the election. Expect 2009 levels of unemployment aid and increases to time allowed on the dole in 2021. Stocks will tank. The question is: sell out now or hope for a recovery in 5-10 years? 401ks will be massively devalued.

Now here's where my Doomsday Scenario of paranoia kicks. in. Of course, if we get a socialist/globalist/Social Justice President in, expect amnesty for illegals and de facto if not de jure opening of the border, Take the EBT, food, medicine, housing, and education for millions of new immigrants, combined with aid to rising unemployed citizens, the national deficit and debt will skyrocket. Stocks will continue to fall especially as companies fail. The chain effect of retailers closing, trucking and warehousing collapsing, house sales plummeting, etc will exacerbate the situation. If nobody is working, will Netflix and everyone else be able to pump money into Prestige TV? Doubtful. Same for Hollywood and movies, music and video games. Say goodbye to the glut of "too much tv to watch." No doubt the dollar will lose significant value. It will be harder to rekickstart a global mercantile economy with personal jobs and fiances in freefall. A recession could turn to Depression II.

The last Depression took a decade to get out of, and while FDR had some good ideas, it was arguably the massive employment, manufacturing, and spending for WWII that put us over the hump. Without that, it could last longer. We could see a definite decline in American standards of living that could last for the foreseeable future. Things may not go as bad as total government collapse, currency collapse, states closing borders, martial law, and secession, but for those of us alive now, we may never see a lifestyle as prosperous as we had in 2019 for the rest of our lives. A new normal of doing with less, having less entertainment, technology, new clothing, easy access to gourmet food, vacations, etc. Retiring at 65 or even 70 will become a Boomer thing, as we go back to the pre-Social Security standard of my great grandfather working as a night watchman or bartender til he collapsed at 75.

Or maybe the Chinese factories will start back up in a couple weeks. It's just a flu bro.