Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

simulated goat

pleasant goat beauty
kiwifarms.net
First 2 cases in OMAN:

DUBAI, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Oman's health ministry reported on Monday the first two cases of coronavirus infections in the Gulf Arab state, Oman TV said.

The two Omani women diagnosed with the disease had visited Iran, it said. They are in stable condition, it added.

[/QUOTE]
Mr. Camus to the white courtesy phone, please.
If Corona kills Dario Argento I'm going to be pissed.
At least he finished the 'suspira/three sister trilogy'. Whew.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The thread's moving fast today. The interesting part is the market crash, this means that either the elites have decided to sell or that the peasants are revolting.
A new trend I notice is praising China's lack of human rights as being effective against the disease while telling that the west is fucked in case of an outbreak, trying to strengthen China's image and economy on the expense of the west (and maybe get some new laws that limit civil rights). It is beyond disgusting and I'll argue that people towing the line deserve to be lined against the wall and shot.

People in Milan and Lombardy are storming through supermarkets to buy water, fruit, veggies, meat, fish, hand sanitisers, disposable gloves. There are pictures of empty shelves in this article.
Do you mean canned fruits or regular fruits? Because the latter won't hold a long time.

Beluga

Just a little white whale on the go
kiwifarms.net
Do you mean canned fruits or regular fruits? Because the latter won't hold a long time.
As far as I know it's both. I'd assume people go for canned food and long lasting food first but when there's no more of them they go for fresh produce. People are used to cooking in fairly big batches here. They could cook a shitton of meals and then freeze them.

The media here are saying that we've got the highest numbers in Europe because more people are getting tested compared to other countries. I think it's mainly because Italians tend to be hypochondriacs (so we go to the doctor a lot more often than say a Brit or a Dutch) and are fairly susceptible to panic.

I also find it really weird that there haven't been more cases confirmed across the continent, honestly I find it extremely unbelievable and unrealistic. I'm not saying that there's some sort of conspiracy, I just think other EU countries are burying their heads in the sand and denying reality. Since Schengen I'd argue it's virtually impossible to stop the spread of the virus. I guess they're trying to work out how to deal with people infected with it.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i like Campbell but i can't understand why he supports WHO so much. he's not dumb, he know how corrupt they are yet he keeps putting them in such a positive light.

It's so he doesn't get his YouTube channel fucked with by Google. :optimistic:

A friend of mine showed me this a few minutes ago. It looks like google is getting in on censoring youtube channels that point out how china is lying through their teeth about the virus

Totally not censoring anyone on behalf of the CCP at all guys

Buddy Booth

kiwifarms.net
People are panicking because the government is composed of absolute clowns. On one hand we're not supposed to panic and spread allarmism, on the other the measures deployed to contain this thing have basically no precedent. Fuck, we might have had something similar going on in the 1600s or something.
Our premier has the charisma and the political acumen of a shoe rack: this extraordinary quarantine might also be a way for him to come off as competent and decisive.
Consider this: thanks to chink incompetence we still know very little about the virus. We've currently deployed a bunch of carabinieri to curtail the red zone, with just masks as protection.
These guys are supposed to handle possibly infected subjects: do we even know if masks are gonna do anything? Nope!
So yeah, I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat for this thing to start spreading further.

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
Italy is a shithole and has been for centuries. That's often difficult for people to fully understand - thinking it to be quite cultured, and thus well off - but it has little industry outside of the North and didn't benefit at all from various waves of government mismanagement.
Shit, man. I have a friend who's born there. She shows pictures of her town-and its indeed beautiful- but knowing this gives me fear. She's alright for now but I'm worried about the future.
Back on topic, I noticed that Corona exploded at a bad time. Other than the flu season, allergy/pollen season joined now. This is going to make symptoms harder to tell and make it more easily spread with the sniffles and sneezes for those with allergies.

Beluga

Just a little white whale on the go
kiwifarms.net
People are panicking because the government is composed of absolute clowns. On one hand we're not supposed to panic and spread allarmism, on the other the measures deployed to contain this thing have basically no precedent. Fuck, we might have had something similar going on in the 1600s or something.
Yes and the media haven't helped at all. Italian journalists are a nasty breed of incompetence, ignorance, borderline illiteracy and exceptionalism.

ETA. Personally I'm more worried about being quarantined and the long term economical consequences. The North is the industrial and financial heart of the country. If we stop, the whole country is fucked and believe me it's already been fucked senseless enough, it doesn't need anymore of it. Also: in Milan alone there are 1.4 million people. This is not China, you cannot quarantine a city like this and expect people to cooperate immediately in the name of The Nation. Even if they did it people would either completely panic or would try to keep living their normal lives in defiance of the decrees because "Fuck the government, nobody can tell me what to do" is essentially the motto of every Italian. I hope that the situation will calm down in a couple of weeks time max but you never know with this shit.

Last edited:

kcbbq

"I want to see you eat the whole sausage."
kiwifarms.net
Or the economy was a house of cards made to look impressive but would collapse at any road bump.
Everything in this thread is histrionics. A 3 percent drop is so much not a crash. The Dow would have had to drop more than 6500 points today to match '87, an actual crash. People swan dive out of buildings after an actual crash.

simulated goat

pleasant goat beauty
kiwifarms.net
I wonder what the hell WHO are gonna do when they are infected soon enough, will they still continue to tell everyone "It's just the flu guys."

crossing my fingers the CDC won't beat around the bush for long once the cases of infection increase in Cali the next month. To all Kiwis in that area, my heart goes out to you all.
My bestie just went to the Bay Area to visit a friend who was in hospital because of a life-threating car crash. She said there were a lot of visitors in the hospital without masks coughing all over the place. Then she stayed with a friend who is an ER nurse who has been ill for a week. She joked about getting all Howard Hughes about germs during the visit, but she's kinda worried as well. Still, it's hard to separate this from the seasonal background crud.

Everything in this thread is histrionics. A 3 percent drop is so much not a crash. The Dow would have had to drop more than 6500 points today to match '87, an actual crash. People swan dive out of buildings after an actual crash.
Oh shit we are talking about the Dow? That wasn't a crash, I saw someone talking about a Market Crash and thought the Chinese market finally caught fire.

Gender of peace

Fully automated luxury autism
kiwifarms.net
Supply chain news round-up from r/supplychain. Coffin shortage in HK. Rare earth mineral shortage on the horizon.

Post | Archive

Health and safety advice for employers: the world leading centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) in Atlanta has issued advice for employers here. The TLDR is that if someone is sick make them stay at home and provide equipment such as alcohol gel dispensers to avoid contamination in the office.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/guidance-business-response.html. Consider forwarding it to your HR department people, we already have alcohol dispensers in our office in the UK...

South Korean outbreak - the government has raised its health alert to the highest level red reports the Korean Herald (http://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php?ud=20200223000239&ud=20200223000239). Confirmed infections - most of them traced to a religious sect who had several heavily attended services - are at 600 and climbing rapidly with multiple provinces reporting casea. The US government has noted this and changed its travel advisory from the lowest level 1 to 2 urging increased caution says the Herald in a separate article (http://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php?ud=20200223000014&ud=20200223000014). Level 3 means reconsider travel, level 4 means don't travel. I checked the UK advice, it already advises only essential travel to that area. In addition, multiple uncorroborated sources say the start of the school year has been pushed back by a week.

Iranian outbreak - the high profile journalist Hadi Nili says on twitter (can't link directly, search for @HadiNili) that the Turkish health minister has been told by his Iranian counterpart next door that Iran has 758 suspected cases of the virus, 18 positive, 5 deaths so far. With its less advanced health care system, Iran will be one to watch this week.

Hong Kong coffin shortages - the South China Morning Post reports that manufacturing stoppages are creating a shortage of coffins in Hong Kong (https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...4/coronavirus-killer-disease-leaves-hong-kong). It has asked for government support to get supplies moving again, alternatively it will have to find other SE Asia supplies but these are up to six times more expensive.

Example of a small company with issues in Tallahassee, USA - I mentioned rare earth shortages may be causing problems soon a day or two ago - here's an early example at the micro level. Danfoss Turbocor Processors has warned its 200 staff that production may have to stop soon due to shortages of magnets that use rare earths. The company makes heating and air conditioning systems and is completely dependent on China. It only has enough supplies until the end of the month (https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Ta...ng-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-568100131.html).

Bloomberg Quint also has other micro level examples (https://www.bloombergquint.com/glob...bles-supply-chains-from-watches-to-lobsters): Hong Kong high end watch manufacturing, American board game makers, Mexican furniture, a German automotive firm, an Indonesian clothing company, a Malaysian cat litter sales company, a New Zealand lobster fishing company, a Japanese mining equipment manufacturer - all are affected either because replenishments have been delayed or demand has substantially dropped.

Macro level issues - problems for automotives continue says the Economic Times (https://m.economictimes.com/news/in...s-on-coronavirus/amp_articleshow/74238411.cms). Nissan has extended a shutdown of China based plants and did not give a restart date. Honda did the same and says its new restart date is an eye watering March 11th due to Hubei government instructions.

Singapore - the Business Times thinks that a substantial shift in supply chain strategy away from China due to the US tariffs and this virus will benefit ASEAN countries as countries go for a China +1 approach. It points out that already Vietnam and Thailand have benefited as has Malaysia (https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/as...-could-accelerate-supply-chain-shift-to-asean).

The International Business Times picked up the Dun and Bradstreet white paper I flagged and done a TLDR job on it. If you don't have much time read their version of it instead, will take about 3 min. https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus...srupt-global-supply-chain-affecting-5-2924375

Repost: if you're a forwarder, you may find agility logistics tracker helpful as to what's going on in China: https://www.agility.com/en/pages/coronavirus-operational-update/ - last update was Friday.

Ongoing shortage of raw materials for pharmaceuticals, Indian manufacturers are fucked (Financial Times)
Coronavirus outbreak causes supply problem for India’s drugmakers | Archive

There is no good way to shift production of these raw materials back to US (Breitbart interview from Feb 14)
Expert: China Has ‘Global Chokehold’ on Medicine, Can Shut Down Our Pharmacies, Hospitals in Months | Archive

Buttigieg2020

Transport Secretary 2021
kiwifarms.net
Yes.
Raw materials up by at least 1500%, labour and etc all well over 1000%.
Yet the government has laws to prevent mask manufactures from increasing the price of the product.

So something that costs a dollar to make will now be at least 25 dollars. Ordinarily they will sell the product for say 3 dollars and bag the $2 profit, now they have to sell it at $25 to just breakeven, however the state deems this illegal and they are forced to still sell the product for 3 dollars if they want to sell it, which results in astronomical loss since masks are sold by the thousands.

Therefore they decided to keep doors shut.

Hope this sounds less autistic and makes more sense.
Glorious price ceilings comrade!

You would think people would realize why this is a terrible idea by now, especially for emergency supplies.

On the topic of impending rare earth shortage.
Selling out the US’s rare earth industry continues to haunt us. We’ve started mining in the US again, but almost all refining capacity is in China.

Last edited:

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Or the economy was a house of cards made to look impressive but would collapse at any road bump.

This is a minor pullback. Investors dont panic over something like this as it isviewed as a temporary disruption. They will re-evaluate after 90 days. Some short term selloffs will happen. But others are snapping up cheap offerings. The real hits are travel and hotels.

This is a minor pullback. Investors dont panic over something like this as it isviewed as a temporary disruption. They will re-evaluate after 90 days. Some short term selloffs will happen. But others are snapping up cheap offerings. The real hits are travel and hotels.
Again, I thought we were talking about the chink markets and economy.

Agent Abe Caprine

Defends the dignity of the retarded
kiwifarms.net
Looks like Ohio could get a case or two. At least junkies and meth heads aren't in this self quarantine. For now. Neither of those are known for listening to sound advice.

Ohio's Appalachian region doesn't have the best healthcare. It isn't third world tier, but the towns and places like Chillicothe are pretty poor compared to Northern Ohio. Lots of opioid addicts, shitloads of iffy rehab centers, your usual hillbilly issues, and iffy water.

Some counties have a radiation problem. In Chillicothe, there's a paper mill always blowing nasty smelling smoke around. Lot of smokers around here.

Lots of meth heads, too. This place would be pretty vulnerable compared to the more well off northern counties.

Merry

Salted Pork & Longbottom Leaf Admirer
kiwifarms.net
Depends on what cheap means.

You can stock up on Sardines, Ramen, Tuna, etc for like $0.11 per serving. That will get you through a couple weeks for under $100. Also get the 5 gal water bottles, just make a wall of them for whatever may come. You could need to boil your own water, those jugs can be used to capture condensation.

I bought 2,000 high-end MREs at the start of this for $4 per serving. This covers the people I care about for a month.

What you really want to stock up on is guns. Food is no good if your neighbors can steal it. Figure out what the gun laws are in your area and buy whatever has the shortest waiting period along with as much ammo as possible. I'm not a gun guy, but I understand Chinese-made AKs are very popular right now. There's a secondary market of people buying metal plates for rifle butts and bayonet holders that fit them popping up in various places.

The US Army published a Survival Guide in the 1940s which is excellent. Find a paper copy and tuck it away just in case you lose Internets. Covers survival food and capturing fresh water, which are necessary if you need to rough it. You should probably make sure you have a tent and a sleeping bag while you're at it.
You'll find Norinco firearms are cheap and very reliable for a Chinese product; their military industry doesn't skimp out on quality

lottalove

tuff
kiwifarms.net
What's up with Italy? Every other state recovers well against the virus but people from Italy drops like flies. Is it a case of some ethnicity differences, Italy has problems before this, poor health care, targetting previously sick people, a weird happenstance, or what?
Maybe there is some thruth to the higher susceptibility of ethnic groups with more ACE2-cells, apart from the evironmental and behavioural influences. Lombardy is in northern Italy, but so is Tuscany. The Toscani genome was the last in the list of populations at higher risk someone posted earlier. I'm neither competent in that realm nor do I know the origin of that list other than someone took it of the 1000 Genomes project somehow. but maybe the Lombardese have comparable genomes?
corona risk populations.png