Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Isam

ἀνάπαυσις
kiwifarms.net
Call me paranoid, but my guess is that the virus was being developed as a bioweapon, researchers are going to discover something way off about it as they work towards a cure. Or it's antibiotic resistant. In China, you can literally buy antibiotics by the handful out of open containers, they're cheap and regularly abused.
As has been stated many times before in this thread, but evidently bears repeating:
Antibiotic (or antibacterial) drugs work on bacteria and not viruses.
Viruses require antiviral drugs which work differently from antibiotics in that they do not destroy but inhibit growth or reproduction of the virus, i.e. vaccines.

Titan Lithos

Classic Rock
kiwifarms.net
As has been stated many times before in this thread, but evidently bears repeating:
Viruses require antiviral drugs which work differently from antibiotics in that they do not destroy but inhibit growth or reproduction of the virus, i.e. vaccines.
Maybe we should put that in the thread title, or in that wonderful checklist on the front page.

Also I love that Xi pressures to become president for life. Then this fuck-up happens. How's that going to look for your regime? Totally not like the emperors overthrown, right?

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I'm rooting for the virus.

Btw, twitter panicking over this is lame. I doubt that the deathcount will ever reach or exceed the fatality rate of previous SARS outbreak in 2002.
More worrying than the virus itself is what Xi has been hiding from us, about it, because if he freaks out over Winnie the Pooh memes to be point he bans it in a country of 1 billion +, who knows what he's covering up here. Who knows, this post will be covered in crabs just for me saying this.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunely, not really. You could wash your hands, drink water and all that, but this is a new virus with zero herd immunity. Being healthy helps a lot, but it will be all left to your immune system.

Luckily, our immune systems are stronger than we give them credit for. Good food, good hygiene, a lot of contact with other people from all over the world. As many have pointed out, Chinese people don't have that but poor hygiene and stupid food habits.

The ones who are in big danger here are SJWs and tumblerines who take stupid decisions, are obese, diabetics, eat junk food, and live in isolated places.

Most of us will be fine, but take care of the vulnerable: children, old folks, and pregnant women.

Ad Lib Moaning

kiwifarms.net
The ones who are in big danger here are SJWs and tumblerines who take stupid decisions, are obese, diabetics, eat junk food, and live in isolated places.
I treated myself to a lazy day of sleeping, movies with popcorn and chips, baking brownies, and more sleeping after a week of exhausting work. That day is probably going to bite me back in the ass. I drank water, but still.

theshep

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've seen this line being spouted in social media by NPC's a lot, although none of them seem to be able to give any specific details. Do you? What exactly would have you done differently in responding to this outbreak. Don't say quarantine immediately after 5 people coughed:)
I'm reluctantly siding with you. The Chinese could have been quicker to get out of the blocks, sure, but so could the rest of the world. This is a new virus and as I understand it, indistinguishable from a common cold at first. I think given the circumstances, they've been pretty open and as yet, it seems that there is no hysteria surrounding the cases in the west.

The best and greatest

Staring into your soul
kiwifarms.net
stream happening now, Ontario's chief medical officer
guy in Toronto has it, he did not get it from traveling in Wuhan but in transit from airport
Ooooh. That's a bad sign. So is it safe to assume the same is happening in other cases at other airports too? I wonder what level of contact this person had with infected persons.

DefCon Dumb

Confronter of Cryptoid Cuntiness
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm sitting here watching an utterly maddening news conference as my province in Canada, (sorry for the PL), announces it's 1st case. Man in his 50s, travelled back from Wuhan via Guangzou, (sp-?) on the 22nd. Felt shitty, had relative call health authorities & paramedics showed up properly geared up. Direct admission to isolation to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto & a positive test result has just been confirmed.

They weren't going to give much more info but the press isn't having that shit. So... small family who have self-isolated themselves. Public Health is doing their thing & that had better bloody well include close checking of all other passengers & flight crew. Long flight, recycled air... yeah. The press is pressing for details - in firm & sometimes raised voices.

Just heard the wife is asymptomatic; for now anyway.

So add Canada to the list. Will update with a link as soon as our news websites get something solid up.

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net
It's a virus antibiotics don't work ever, you need a vaccine or the anti-bodies created by survivors.
Thank you for the heads up. You are right, antibiotics do not cure a virus.

Bolus doses of antibiotics do help viruses to mutate faster. It's great to develop an antiviral and find it's now obsolete because the new strain is completely different.

Right now, there's people in China eating cheap antibiotics by the handful.

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I'm sitting here watching an utterly maddening news conference as my province in Canada, (sorry for the PL), announces it's 1st case. Man in his 50s, travelled back from Wuhan via Guangzou, (sp-?) on the 22nd. Felt shitty, had relative call health authorities & paramedics showed up properly geared up. Direct admission to isolation to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto & a positive test result has just been confirmed.

They weren't going to give much more info but the press isn't having that shit. So... small family who have self-isolated themselves. Public Health is doing their thing & that had better bloody well include close checking of all other passengers & flight crew. Long flight, recycled air... yeah. The press is pressing for details - in firm & sometimes raised voices.

Just heard the wife is asymptomatic; for now anyway.

So add Canada to the list. Will update with a link as soon as our news websites get something solid up.
As far as I know, there are no direct ways to get to Canada from Wuhan, so most people go though Guangzhou. They have been screening all the flights originating in China now that the surveillance is on. Toronto has the next biggest Chinatown second to Vancouver, and bore the brunt of SARS so they are more than prepared. I have confidence it will get contained fast there because they learned their lesson in 2003 and everyone was expecting it anyways due to the sheer number of Chinese people who come to and from China.

Kaede Did Nothing Wrong

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ooooh. That's a bad sign. So is it safe to assume the same is happening in other cases at other airports too? I wonder what level of contact this person had with infected persons.
my bad, he was in Wuhan, I got confused. they're talking right now about people in the planes and they'll contact most everyone to check in. he wasn't symptomatic until getting home. they've got milder version of symptoms of what's been reported.