Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

• Stinky Indonesians are trying to spam the forum with ad placement links. If you see a post containing inline links or direct link placements to what seem like commercial products, only somewhat related to the thread, please report it. Fake passports/documents and brand name clothing like shoes seem common.

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Angry New Ager

Farting for God soon
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
niggas my pharmacy ran out of gabatin and my dealers out of weed. Well this sucks I mean I do have an emergency stash of pain pills but I fucking hate using opiates to treat my chronic pain issue. The lyrics I take covers 50 percent the gabatin covers the rest. I tried calling 5 pharmacies but they're out.
Gabatin is used as an off label for nerve pain fibromyalgia and anxiety. It's heavily prescribed as alternative for heavy shit. buuuut it's also abused to make the high of other drugs more powerful, specifically stuff like heroin. Basically doctors prescribe like crazy because you have to take an absurd amount to get high, even then it's not addictive.
I take it gabatin is gabapentin? I've got a cat on it (it's the miracle drug that keeps her from ripping all her hair out). Costco's pharmacy was out of it on Friday, but the pharmacist said to keep trying this week, because it's on order and they will get it back in stock. Just because your pharmacy doesn't have it on hand right now doesn't mean there is none to be had at all; they just weren't prepared for the sudden mad rush, and didn't have lots of extra on hand.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the entire world a bunch of normies that don't fucking read LABORATORY analysis on this virus or what ? I can't believe it, even here in yurop medics and paramedics are just only using surgical masks, no goggles or ear protections, not even gloves, in France Alone around 20 medics got the virus from being fucking clueless, and you cannot tell me it's only happening around here, just look at this shit :

1583024631115.png

That's your Washington Paramedics wearing only surgical masks and loading patients from a senior living center, it's said that 1/4 of them + staff of the senior living center contracted some kind of pneumonia, bet your ass they have the coronavirus...

Do they all think Chinese medics wore full hazmat suits covering almost 95% of their face with goggles and masks barely protruding out of their suit for funzies ?

Why the fuck everyone in charge are complete exceptional individuals ?

/raises hand.

This looks terrifying, does it not? But strip away the panicky sensationalist news headlines and think about it for just a minute. Yes it might be Coronavirus, It could also be any other seasonal bug tearing through a Nursing Home. 1/4 of Nursing Home residents suffering Pneumonia is any day ending in a Y if it is a true Skilled Nursing Facility. This is horrifyingly normal. Pneumonia is how most old people die. Particularly once they reach the point where they need round the clock skilled nursing care. And a little secret about Nursing Homes. When they admit a new patient/resident it is generally with the actuarial assumption that their stay will be about 9 months before "moving on".

The Paramedics in the picture are wearing gloves, masks and gowns. (The guy standing by the back of the Ambulance is a Cop or Fire Officer.) Which is standard. The cleansuits that you see the Chinese squads wearing is more theater than anything else. Honestly they probably got those suits from raiding their Sanitation department. Those are the suits they wear for collecting and wading through trash. Do you know how you can tell they are pure bullshit theater? It's pretty clear from the pictures from China that they are wearing them all shift. All day. So the clean suit is a transmission vector from patient to patient. The disposable gowns you see on the EMS crew here get red bagged with each patient and disposed of at the ER. As for the effectiveness? We have no idea because we have no good data from China. So we are falling back on known protocols for similar pathogens.

jjabramsisdumb

kiwifarms.net
Reports Perth Man First Confirmed Coronavirus Death In Australia
d5cf83a2bf438f6578147a156d267b21-899989.jpg
Image: Getty

10 daily staff

Sun 01 Mar 2020 9.03 AM
There are reports a Perth man died in hospital on Sunday in what would be Australia's first coronavirus fatality.
The 78-year-old man was reportedly the state’s only fatal coronavirus case and died in an intensive care unit at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital overnight, The West Australian said.

If confirmed, this would mean the man would be the first Australian to die from the virus.

The news comes after two further cases of coronavirus were confirmed in NSW and Victoria on Sunday.

More to come.

Article

EDIT : Seems it was the Diamond Princess guy

The 78-year-old man is the state’s only fatal coronavirus case and died in an intensive care unit at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital overnight, WA Health officials confirmed.

The man is the first Australian to die from the virus.

The man was one of 164 Australians isolated on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in the Japanese port of Yokohama and had been flown to WA on Friday by the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The man’s wife also tested positive for COVID-19 but is now in a stable condition.

Fuck. Woolies opens at 11 lads. Stock up on supplies now.

Agent Abe Caprine

Fueled by cigarette butts and paint chips
kiwifarms.net

pwnest injun

An Honest Man is Always in Trouble
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
/raises hand.

This looks terrifying, does it not? But strip away the panicky sensationalist news headlines and think about it for just a minute. Yes it might be Coronavirus, It could also be any other seasonal bug tearing through a Nursing Home. 1/4 of Nursing Home residents suffering Pneumonia is any day ending in a Y if it is a true Skilled Nursing Facility. This is horrifyingly normal. Pneumonia is how most old people die. Particularly once they reach the point where they need round the clock skilled nursing care. And a little secret about Nursing Homes. When they admit a new patient/resident it is generally with the actuarial assumption that their stay will be about 9 months before "moving on".

The Paramedics in the picture are wearing gloves, masks and gowns. (The guy standing by the back of the Ambulance is a Cop or Fire Officer.) Which is standard. The cleansuits that you see the Chinese squads wearing is more theater than anything else. Honestly they probably got those suits from raiding their Sanitation department. Those are the suits they wear for collecting and wading through trash. Do you know how you can tell they are pure bullshit theater? It's pretty clear from the pictures from China that they are wearing them all shift. All day. So the clean suit is a transmission vector from patient to patient. The disposable gowns you see on the EMS crew here get red bagged with each patient and disposed of at the ER. As for the effectiveness? We have no idea because we have no good data from China. So we are falling back on known protocols for similar pathogens.

Personally, I would extrapolate the doctrine of Universal Precautions to not only include the idea that you should treat all patients/samples as though they may be infected, but to also include the idea that you should treat all infections as if they had the most contagious source of pathogen. IOW, assume it's coronavirus until you know otherwise.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As much as these posts are appreciated, I cant help but think they just get buried after a few pages and this thread is back to the prepper talk. Despite the fact that for 10k+ posts of the roughly the same advice for prepping has been going around, every time a major city has a case or some new euro country is infected the thread jumps 10 pages going in circles.

Yes, they do. People get worried and scared, and that's how they deal with the worry/fear. As this virus has spread, the prepper talk has likewise expanded. So I periodically remind everyone to put things in perspective, and relax. No, the sky isn't going to fall, least here and most places. Iran's a concern because it's so backward, frankly. China's still a concern. The CCP's numbers can't be believed, and there are some videos here that even someone like me found chilling. Truly, I have now heard the sound of hell thanks to a video from Wuhan. Never heard anything like that for real before, and am in my seventh decade.

Am not optimistic about Africa, for many obvious reasons. South America overall should be fairly good. Middle East - some countries, (Israel, Saudi, Kuwait, some small oil lands) will be okay due to good medical systems. Others (Syria, Iraq, Lebanon) - not so much. Would be very interesting to know if Israel/Egypt/Jordan/Saudi/maybe others have had a very quiet meeting to discuss a joint effort to deal with the virus. Could see Israeli medical personnel going to any of these countries to supplement local resources. Could also see shitloads of petrodollars devoted to get critical medical supplies any way they can, with some of those supplies going to all the other countries. Hang together or hang separately.

dopy

King Neptune's Chosen People
kiwifarms.net
i like how people seem to either take it way too seriously or don't care at all. just don't fucking panic, panic makes bad situations hellish. papa @JosephStalin beat me on some thoughts about iran/china/africa.

i'm most curious about what will happen in iran and with the migrants Sultan Erdogan (pbuh) is so kindly gifting greece right now.
economic depression, mass movement of people, supply chain disruptions, mass death in concentrated places due to incompetence and inaccessibility (i honestly feel bad for the people of wuhan, their government turned them into a crystal clear history lesson)... social unrest incoming in the next weeks and months various places. the question is just where exactly, and onto which other socio-econo-political dominoes the current ones will fall. there's a lot to learn in the coming weeks - not to mention a lot of money to be made in an economic depression. (no, i'm only 1% chosenite according to a DNA test, but thanks for asking)

still yet to see how india's going to turn out - surprised it hasn't exploded in cases and deaths yet (or has it?)

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, they do. People get worried and scared, and that's how they deal with the worry/fear. As this virus has spread, the prepper talk has likewise expanded. So I periodically remind everyone to put things in perspective, and relax. No, the sky isn't going to fall, least here and most places. Iran's a concern because it's so backward, frankly. China's still a concern. The CCP's numbers can't be believed, and there are some videos here that even someone like me found chilling. Truly, I have now heard the sound of hell thanks to a video from Wuhan. Never heard anything like that for real before, and am in my seventh decade.

Am not optimistic about Africa, for many obvious reasons. South America overall should be fairly good. Middle East - some countries, (Israel, Saudi, Kuwait, some small oil lands) will be okay due to good medical systems. Others (Syria, Iraq, Lebanon) - not so much. Would be very interesting to know if Israel/Egypt/Jordan/Saudi/maybe others have had a very quiet meeting to discuss a joint effort to deal with the virus. Could see Israeli medical personnel going to any of these countries to supplement local resources. Could also see shitloads of petrodollars devoted to get critical medical supplies any way they can, with some of those supplies going to all the other countries. Hang together or hang separately.
I especially love all of the people I talk to currently pulling their hair out because they're seeing empty peanut butter shelves and flying into a panic about how that means it's going to be really bad, because all of the stores are selling out of supplies. As if that... Is an indicator of how bad something is going to be? It's like they're incapable of understanding that this has reached a point where the feedback loop of panic is significantly worse than the threat itself. Fuckin' iPhones fly off the shelves on day 1 too, that's not indicative of anything but supply VS. way too much demand.

The supplies are all being bought out because people are freaking out and buying supplies, which in turn freaks more people out, and they buy even more supplies. The entirety of the country isn't going to grind to a halt and get shoved under martial law because some dudes got the fucking sniffles. We barely even understand what the numbers are yet, all these test kits sound like they're completely useless and producing tons of false results, and the significant bulk of the people who've died are old or otherwise compromised anyways. If you're not sick or not really old you don't have a Hell of a lot to worry about.

If all of these members of government and the CDC officials were walking out on stage in full HAZMAT suits or broadcasting from a sealed bunker, then I'd worry. Given that every single one of them is still running around in crowded rooms and shaking everyone's hand at political rallies, whatever "they know that we don't" must not be tremendously alarming.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Personally, I would extrapolate the doctrine of Universal Precautions to not only include the idea that you should treat all patients/samples as though they may be infected, but to also include the idea that you should treat all infections as if they had the most contagious source of pathogen. IOW, assume it's coronavirus until you know otherwise.

The problem is economic realities start to kick in. Not just money, but every other type of cost. This is one of the worst features of Government Bureaucracies. They demand 'Best Practices!" without ever actually dealing with the messy realities of life. You can't treat every patient as the absolute worst case, because you simply do not have the amount of storage space to carry or stockpile the vast amounts of needed disposables in order to do that. You can't assume every single patient has Ebola because it would make normal health care delivery impossible. You make trade offs and accept certain informed risks to deliver care. Look at China today. That is what the worst case disease assumption looks like. A complete paralysis of the society. As a specific disease threat ramps up, you alter practices to deal with it.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did most of my panic buying two weeks ago. It's two extremes here, people are freaking out or they don't care.

Guess I'm in the middle. Bought some reasonable extra supplies of a few things we'd use anyway. And today at the commissary saw plenty of stuff available. Costco Thursday was ops normal.

@dopy - Things will never be the same again after this virus burns itself out. Existing problems and issues will have been exacerbated, and new problems will have arisen. Hopefully, the world learns and remembers the sheer follies of placing too many manufacturing/supply eggs in the Chinese basket, and the just-in-time supply system.

DerSneedstrom

Shocked Mormon of Color, pronouns are fuck/you
kiwifarms.net
A twitter thread about the situation in Iran has just caught my eye.

- "Coronavirus epidemy in Iran has past the crisis level. The country is imploding - law and order to disappear in the next days. A number of officials already died and mass infection among hospital staff and police forces reported."
- Mass graves, people collapsing randomly (like China)
- Vehicles randomly abandoned
- A clinic burned down by the public when people allegedly with Wuhan Flu were transferred there
- Locals and government still ignorant to the situation. Either downplaying or flaunting the "healing powers" of Islamic shrines
- Government allegedly lying out their ass about official numbers regarding Corona-chan (sound familiar?)
- Whistleblowers getting arrested for "fake news" (also sound familiar?)
- In fact, all of it sounds like Wuhan, even in Tehran

If these statements are in any way true, Iran might be even more fucked than China is.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I especially love all of the people I talk to currently pulling their hair out because they're seeing empty peanut butter shelves and flying into a panic about how that means it's going to be really bad, because all of the stores are selling out of supplies. As if that... Is an indicator of how bad something is going to be? It's like they're incapable of understanding that this has reached a point where the feedback loop of panic is significantly worse than the threat itself. Fuckin' iPhones fly off the shelves on day 1 too, that's not indicative of anything but supply VS. way too much demand.

The supplies are all being bought out because people are freaking out and buying supplies, which in turn freaks more people out, and they buy even more supplies. The entirety of the country isn't going to grind to a halt and get shoved under martial law because some dudes got the fucking sniffles. We barely even understand what the numbers are yet, all these test kits sound like they're completely useless and producing tons of false results, and the significant bulk of the people who've died are old or otherwise compromised anyways. If you're not sick or not really old you don't have a Hell of a lot to worry about.

If all of these members of government and the CDC officials were walking out on stage in full HAZMAT suits or broadcasting from a sealed bunker, then I'd worry. Given that every single one of them is still running around in crowded rooms and shaking everyone's hand at political rallies, whatever "they know that we don't" must not be tremendously alarming.

Trump is a renowned Germaphobe. Obsessively so. If he's not in a space suit, and those surrounding him don't look like they have been dipped in disinfectant, than it likely isn't yet as bad as everyone is fearing.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Trump is a renowned Germaphobe. Obsessively so. If he's not in a space suit, and those surrounding him don't look like they have been dipped in disinfectant, than it likely isn't yet as bad as everyone is fearing.

We’re at the point where containment is meaningless and it’s all about riding it out. Too many horses left the barn, too many genies that can’t be put back into the bottle, etc. The virus nailing the sicker members of society sounds ghoulish but in many ways it’s culling people who were on their way out. Healthier members of society will be coughing and hacking for a few days and then get on with it. I’m not a “it’s just a flu, bro” denialist but it is what it is at this point.