Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

Rabidcolombian

Americas Asshole
kiwifarms.net
I did most of my panic buying two weeks ago. It's two extremes here, people are freaking out or they don't care.

This is what pisses me off.

I try to tell the people I care about (Yep, mostly boomers) that perhaps stocking up on some goods may be a wise thing, but they're so set in just not giving a shit. Not just denying it, but persistent on not doing anything.

Like, FFS, I'm not telling you the world is ending and to go ape shit, I'm telling you to be SMART. It's not bad to be cautious and safe.

The funny part is when they smirk and tell me, "I'll just go to your place if things get bad."

Gee, thanks.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I especially love all of the people I talk to currently pulling their hair out because they're seeing empty peanut butter shelves and flying into a panic about how that means it's going to be really bad, because all of the stores are selling out of supplies. As if that... Is an indicator of how bad something is going to be? It's like they're incapable of understanding that this has reached a point where the feedback loop of panic is significantly worse than the threat itself. Fuckin' iPhones fly off the shelves on day 1 too, that's not indicative of anything but supply VS. way too much demand.

The supplies are all being bought out because people are freaking out and buying supplies, which in turn freaks more people out, and they buy even more supplies. The entirety of the country isn't going to grind to a halt and get shoveddunder martial law because some dudes got the fucking sniffles. We barely even understand what the numbers are yet, all these test kits sound like they're completely useless and producing tons of false results, and the significant bulk of the people who've died are old or otherwise compromised anyways. If you're not sick or not really old you don't have a Hell of a lot to worry about.

If all of these members of government and the CDC officials were walking out on stage in full HAZMAT suits or broadcasting from a sealed bunker, then I'd worry. Given that every single one of them is still running around in crowded rooms and shaking everyone's hand at political rallies, whatever "they know that we don't" must not be tremendously alarming.

I can tell you why, in a nutshell. These people have access to intelligence reports from the CIA, with information provided to the CIA by a whole bunch of organizations with headquarters in the Washington area.

Panic buying at a supermarket reminds me of a run on a bank. You stop the run by handing out the cash to those who want to take out money. You stop or at least slow the panic buying by putting out the goods. All transportation running normally here in the USA. Trucks/trains/planes are getting through. Manufacturers, processors, and distributors all at normal operations. So those shelves will be filled quickly. Just hope some panic buyers didn't spend money needed for other requirements.

Consenticles

Sic semper tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Warning: slight power level

I have to take a few different drugs and I'm concerned about not being able to fill them on time. These are drugs that I can't just quite cold turkey. Even tapering down conservatively is a nightmare.

Can anyone in the medical industry weigh in on which drugs are most at risk? I'm mostly worried about benzodiazepines and stimulants. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is complete hell, and even having to go without a few days while the pharmacy plays catch up is long enough to risk seizures. This as well as stimulants like vyvanse or adderall.

I would wager more than a few kiwis might take one of these too. I know adderall gets a bad rap here, but there are conditions that absolutely require it as treatment, and not just to study for finals. I know people on benzos that are absolutely homicidal if they miss even a day.

Should I call up my doc and ask for early refills? Several of these meds are controlled substances, so I'm really doubtful they would provide a script. I dont want to come off as paranoid either, since my doc is a boomer and I'm quite sure he would see it as that.

We thankfully have prepped for nearly a month now, long before Amazon started delays and certain resources were bought in bulk off shelves. Got ourselves a respirator each with 2 filters. Someone earlier claimed that they can be washed and reused, but I lost the page. Any truth to that?

Lots of great advice in this thread already, but I recommend going through each room in the house, think of what you do in each room, what you need to accomplish those chores. Look at each object. Are you low on anything? Do you have two months' supply worth of it? What are going to be in most demand, should the local stores delay restocking?

I'm sure most of you all are already thinking about your dogs... remember to stock up on treats and chew toys. If shit gets bad you might not be as eager to go for walks, especially if you aren't in a rural area. Those pups need to let their wiggles out somehow, and sometimes just teaching your dog tricks and keeping its mind active is just as fun for them.

Botchy Galoop

Socially Distant
kiwifarms.net
So this thread is just a microcosm of how people react in meat world. Some panic, some scoff, some shitpost, but it seems to me that most posting here are just monitoring or contributing the various info.

So to report back on my exposing my 84 year old Mom to this thread... She says "Hi" back to those posters who greeted her. She wanted me to pass on that she thinks there are some really smart people here, and that she doesn't really get a lot of the humor here. She said that "maybe if she were younger, she'd understand memes."

She's had me bring my laptop back to her house for 3 days so she could continue following the news. She is "very disappointed" that she cannot follow this thread on her old desktop without becoming a member. She thinks that this thread should allow all lurkers to see the thread because it could help educate more people. At any rate, at least she is now more skeptical about the news coming from the source she usually follows, so there is that.

As to lurkers not being able to view this thread...is there any possibility that the thread can be reclassified so that normies and lurkers are able to view it? Is that even desirable?

Mom also probably wants to be able to lurk and make sure I don't say bad words like nigger. Don't worry, I'm a good kid, mom.

Sam Losco

Delusional ResetEra tranny
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the entire world a bunch of normies that don't fucking read LABORATORY analysis on this virus or what ? I can't believe it, even here in yurop medics and paramedics are just only using surgical masks, no goggles or ear protections, not even gloves, in France Alone around 20 medics got the virus from being fucking clueless, and you cannot tell me it's only happening around here, just look at this shit :

1583024631115.png

That's your Washington Paramedics wearing only surgical masks and loading patients from a senior living center, it's said that 1/4 of them + staff of the senior living center contracted some kind of pneumonia, bet your ass they have the coronavirus...

Do they all think Chinese medics wore full hazmat suits covering almost 95% of their face with goggles and masks barely protruding out of their suit for funzies ?

Is it real ? Is that the way our best of our best educated working classes get ahead of anything and stay up to date ? By just reading a bunch of CDC papers printed in piss ink and not looking at anything for themselves ? (i mean, medical staff, it's not the cheapest and short studies you can go through, right ?) Why the fuck everyone in charge are complete exceptional individuals ?
Those fire fighters are now in home quarantined, for 14 days.
https://twitter.com/RyanKIRO7/status/1233891901691985920
https://archive.ph/327J0
Screenshot from 2020-02-29 20-06-35.png

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Off topic a tad, but if this is another Spanish flu, is anyone archiving this thread?

Sounds cringey, but maybe people 100 years from now will get a better insight into how this kind of shit starts from reading our posts. Or get at least one laugh from our autism.

I'd love me memes from the Spanish flu days.

View attachment 1167381
I wouldn't really say that's such an outlandish prediction. I haven't really seen anywhere else that's been discussing this in such detail.

Sissy Galvez

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Guess I'm in the middle. Bought some reasonable extra supplies of a few things we'd use anyway. And today at the commissary saw plenty of stuff available. Costco Thursday was ops normal.

@dopy - Things will never be the same again after this virus burns itself out. Existing problems and issues will have been exacerbated, and new problems will have arisen. Hopefully, the world learns and remembers the sheer follies of placing too many manufacturing/supply eggs in the Chinese basket, and the just-in-time supply system.
We will never learn, you can guarantee that. American companies are addicted to cheap labor in Asia. I don’t know how we as a government let them offshore things critical to our healthcare system like OTC drugs, medical devices and equipment, etc. to a foreign nation.

Now is a perfect time to bring it home and offer tax cuts to produce it.

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As to lurkers not being able to view this thread...is there any possibility that the thread can be reclassified so that normies and lurkers are able to view it? Is that even desirable?
With the prevalence that people copy-and-paste entire news articles in here, it would wind up dicking with the SEO of the Farms, which is why we got shoved in quarantine to begin with. With the sort of fervency and attention that this story has been getting, I'm afraid to think of what would happen to this thread if it was completely opened to the general public anyways.

That being said, making an account isn't particularly difficult. We'll teach your mom how to shitpost.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
Outside China:

7034 confirmed / 105 dead / 465 recovered

5825 /83 / 400 yesterday 2-28

Iran:

Today 593 confirmed /43 dead / 123 recovered

388 / 34 / 79 yesterday 2-28

So out of 65 recovered in a day Iran accounts for 44 of them. Yeah.

If we all think China is lying and the twitter thread is anything to go by, Iran is literally

AridCookedCaiman-max-1mb.gif

They're recovered because they're dead.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Should I call up my doc and ask for early refills? Several of these meds are controlled substances, so I'm really doubtful they would provide a script. I dont want to come off as paranoid either, since my doc is a boomer and I'm quite sure he would see it as that.

I'm not a doc or pharmacy worker but I have some experience dealing with these things. Your doc is not going to write you a script early for the schedule II drugs. There's a 99.9% chance you're going to come off as drug seeking and that's the last thing you want.

Most of the generic Adderall is being manufactured in India. I'm not sure if they synthesize the raw materials there or get them from China though. There's about a 3 month turnaround from manufacturing to retail, so any shortages should be about another month or so away.

edit: the 3 month time is for the Adderall, I'm not sure what the times look like for other drugs. That was the info I gathered a year or so ago when I looked into it.

Local Hobo

now and then
kiwifarms.net
Question: What do you think will be more likely in the future -
Agencies being more lenient towards healthcare facilities (old folk homes in particular) to make sure they have "all hands on deck" as well as not jettisoning off a load of infirm individuals to the general public
Or
Agencies being stricter in attempts to optimize quarantine and/or claim eminent domain and reallocate resources

MediocreMilt

JUST
kiwifarms.net
Off topic a tad, but if this is another Spanish flu, is anyone archiving this thread?

Sounds cringey, but maybe people 100 years from now will get a better insight into how this kind of shit starts from reading our posts. Or get at least one laugh from our autism.
Depends if Null is a survivor. Otherwise, after three months of not paying bills for the site, shit pretty much shuts down, not to be seen again until many decades later when the NSA is forced to declassify what they've monitored.

Situation in Iran sounds even worse than China -

I don't buy that this crisis ends the CCP, but put me down for a maybe re: the Ayatollahs.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I see plenty of talk about purchasing water. Can kiwis please elaborate? Is tap water unsafe to drink where you live or do you expect there to be no water on tap? Things have to break down severely for the latter in developed countries, so, maybe it's folly, but I'm not preparing for that eventuality.

Sounds delightful.
It's quite nice if you deep fry it or really flatten it out and dry-fry it on a pan

Clones of Alex Jones

Deus Ex Wasn't a Game it Was a Prophecy
kiwifarms.net

BREAKING: Spike in influenza-like illnesses (ILI) in Chicago identified by sentinel reporting. Health officials scrambling to test for #coronavirus. This thing is about to explode.
7:51 AM · Feb 29, 2020

Heinous Fuckery

I call shenanigans
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Central FL, was at Wal Mart for shoes and a wallet as mine are both not-dead-yet but rapidly getting there. So figured get my cheap china shit while it's still there. Glanced at the pharmacy area.
View attachment 1167225
and the area that used to have rubbing alcohol
View attachment 1167226

Are people freaking worse than the standard cat 5 hurricane prep? (I lived there many years)