Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

dopy

King Neptune's Chosen People
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of which, where is PrEP manufactured? The homos might be in trouble.
according to this, gilead makes the name-brand Truvada, while there are lots of generic producers of PrEP. according to this, most drug manufacturers are actually located in the US, Europe, and East Asia (and some in India). i would assume that at least some of PrEP manufacturing (i.e., gilead) is in china but probably not all of it. now of course with supply chain breakdown, we'll see exactly what this will mean down the pipe for actual drug manufacturers, whether they can either make the actual product or even ship it due to port closures. so this won't only apply to PrEP, but perhaps even to more mundane medication like ibuprofen and acetaminophen, not to mention things like hospital-grade medications. (i'm sure @Otterly, @Secret Asshole, and @eternal dog mongler probably could give a better read on this)

I wonder if now is the time to invest in manufacturing firms after this all blows over there might be some reinvestment back in the West for "resilience" purposes.
all I can say is Donald Trump is right. Close our borders and give us our manufacturing jobs back.
neither of you are gunna want to find out how to bring those jobs back for any duration of time.

Niggaplease

are you dumb stupid or dumb?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
according to this, gilead makes the name-brand Truvada, while there are lots of generic producers of PrEP. according to this, most drug manufacturers are actually located in the US, Europe, and East Asia (and some in India). i would assume that at least some of PrEP manufacturing (i.e., gilead) is in china but probably not all of it. now of course with supply chain breakdown, we'll see exactly what this will mean down the pipe for actual drug manufacturers, whether they can either make the actual product or even ship it due to port closures. so this won't only apply to PrEP, but perhaps even to more mundane medication like ibuprofen and acetaminophen, not to mention things like hospital-grade medications.

neither of you are gunna want to find out how to bring those jobs back for any duration of time.
How nigga?

Comandante Marcos

Viva la gente loca!
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if now is the time to invest in manufacturing firms after this all blows over there might be some reinvestment back in the West for "resilience" purposes.

Oh yeah, The Orange God Emperor will look like a fucking genius after Americans go a few months without all the shit that comes from China. He'll say, "See you fucktarded commies? THIS is why we need to manufacture shit in Murica!" and even most Democrats will admit he has a point.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this was brought up already and some days late but

An annual mass wedding ceremony in the Philippines saw face masks and health checks included in the proceedings this year.
The precautions have been brought in due to the threat of coronavirus.
The city of Bacolod, Philippines saw 220 couples married in the government-sponsored event.

What's worse than coronavirus? Not ordering Chinese takeout, apparently.

I wonder how they feel about the Taiwanese and South Koreans that feel strongly about the Chinese now because of the outbreak. I recall an Asian news site calling it “Chinese-phobia”.

>hot
>nurse
>brave enough to fight the outbreak in fucking wuhan of all places
>has given up on finding a boyfriend without guvernmental intervention

Imma bet either she's such an autist as to have literally 0 social skills or she's such a total unrelenting bitch that no sane man would stay in the same room as her for over quarter an hour.

She could be this type:

2DE0A1F5-E8C3-4DA9-A3EC-8E5CF65208B3.jpeg

Niggaplease

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh yeah, The Orange God Emperor will look like a fucking genius after Americans go a few months without all the shit that comes from China. He'll say, "See you fucktarded commies? THIS is why we need to manufacture shit in Murica!" and even most Democrats will admit he has a point.
yup at least the most important shit.

Unsweet

Apathetic at best.
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone has ever really said "we don't want manufacturing to come back" but the truth is all those companies are private entities. They can't be forced to come back if they don't want to. Opening up some plants here for stability makes sense but if common sense was a factor we wouldn't be in this situation to began with.

Niggaplease

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone has ever really said "we don't want manufacturing to come back" but the truth is all those companies are private entities. They can't be forced to come back if they don't want to. Opening up some plants here for stability makes sense but if common sense was a factor we wouldn't be in this situation to began with.
Though technically some posters touch on the us having regulation to make sure some of the important shit in the military can still be manufactured in the USA.

DewsLit

kiwifarms.net

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just found these FAQs about the WuFlu.

FAQs About COVID-19
— Answers to frequently asked questions based on the latest medical research and public health data
by Molly Walker, Associate Editor, MedPage Today February 29, 2020

What about mild or asymptomatic cases of COVID-19?
A case study seemed to confirm the presence of asymptomatic transmission within China, where a woman was afebrile with no chest CT abnormalities or laboratory abnormalities. She did not develop the virus, while five of her relatives did.

An earlier report out of Germany found a woman traveling to Germany from China with vague symptoms resulting in a cluster of cases arising out of that meeting.

How infectious is the COVID-19 coronavirus?
Research out of China found a similar viral load in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients, which may suggest patients can transmit the virus whether they have mild or severe disease.

Earlier reports said that the World Health Organization estimated the R-0 as 1.4 to 2.5. By contrast, the R-0 for measles is 12-18, while the R-0 for seasonal influenza is a little over 1.

How virulent is COVID-19?
Cases out of China had previously reported a mortality rate of around 2%, but experts stated that once more mild cases have been reported, that number was expected to go down. Outside of China, a mortality rate of about 0.8% has been reported.

Research out of China of hospitalized patients suggested that the majority of cases (around 80%) have mild, non-severe disease. Around 6% met a composite outcome of severe outcomes and/or death, with 5% admitted to the ICU, 2.3% requiring ventilation, and 1.4% who died.

What are early symptoms of COVID-19?
A large study of hospitalized patients in China found two-thirds of patients presented with a cough, and only around 40% presented with a fever (though fever later developed in the hospital). Gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea and vomiting, were rare, and reported in under 5% of cases.

It appears not all patients present with symptoms, with research out of Germany finding patients testing positive for COVID-19, despite being afebrile and reporting no symptoms on symptom screeners.

How is COVID-19 diagnosed?
Patients who present with fever and respiratory symptoms associated with travel to countries with local transmission of COVID-19 (as listed on the CDC website), or who are close contacts of travelers recently returning home from affected countries, or who present with fever and acute respiratory symptoms of unknown origin, where causes such as influenza have been ruled out.

A patient is swabbed, then the sample is tested via reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) to determine presence of viral RNA (serology tests are not yet available). All positive tests are sent to CDC for confirmation.

What does severe disease look like?
Nearly all hospitalized patients develop pneumonia. Abnormalities on chest CT imaging were common among more severe patients, with "ground-glass opacity" present for around 60% of severe patients. More severe patients have also required supplemental oxygen, and in some cases, mechanical ventilation.

How is the disease treated?
In China, researchers reported the majority of patients received IV antibiotics. They have also been treated with antiviral oseltamivir (Tamiflu), which is FDA approved to treat influenza, as well as supplemental oxygen.

What are the drug/vaccine prospects?
Investigational therapies include antiviral remdesivir, which is currently being investigated in several clinical trials, as well as lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), a protease inhibitor used to treat HIV, as well as the development of monoclonal antibodies from the serum of recovered patients.

Several companies and public health agencies have vaccines in development, including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Phase I trials for a vaccine are likely a couple months away, with a timeline of 12-18 months for a vaccine to be ready for wide-scale deployment.

What is the prognosis for patients with COVID-19?
Reports out of China indicate disease is much more severe in older patients, with the highest mortality rate among adults age 80 and older. Patients with other comorbidities are also the most at risk. The disease appears to be less severe among younger patients. Although only limited data has been reported, children seem to acquire milder forms of the infection.

There are no confirmed reports of the disease being transmissible via vertical transmission, from a pregnant woman to her baby during the third trimester of pregnancy.

What are the long-term sequelae of COVID-19?
It is unclear what the long-term sequelae of the disease are. Many patients have been hospitalized with the illness for weeks outside of China, out of an abundance of caution and for public health reasons.

Mikoyan

Armenian Wheeler-Dealer
kiwifarms.net

There has been the occasional article about how you don't want manufacturing in your country because it's dirty and icky and employs those people. It's not a commonly held view, though.

Bringing it back to the virus response, Ever since I heard Wilbur Ross say the focus was repatriating the supply chain, I felt the masterstroke (at least PR-wise) would be to offer no-interest and/or guaranteed loans for equipment related to re-establishing supplies affected by the outbreak. If you did it just right you could even put in a claimback clause saying 'if you move this production out of the country in x years, the tooling and equipment are ours now'. Even if it couldn't be sold to the workers in an employee buyout, cheap sales at GSA auction could make for good effects for small business.

I don't pretend this is a perfect or even a wise policy, but it'd be a power move.

Consenticles

Sic semper tyrannis
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Consenticles, El Comandante is in your boat as well. *waves hello* Here in Loonyland Adderall requires an in-person doctor visit every 30 days to renew because some stupid state politicians reeeeeeeeeeee'd the fuck out ages ago about adderall being a gateway drug or some horseshit.

Also, the benzo antipsychotics, fuck yeah I really don't want a fucking psychotic crash, went through one a little over a decade ago when a previous psychdoc fucked up, and it is fucking horrifying. Just look at the severe schizos (fortunately I'm rather mild, at least for now) who take their meds for a while and then drop off and go completely batshit, after a while their brains don't respond to anything and they end up sleeping in doorways and ranting to their imaginary friends on street corners.

And the "key ingredient" to all this shit is made in...you guessed it.

Food is the easy part. What happens when everybody's fucking meds run out? It's not just crazies, you have diabetics who will literally FUCKING DIE without their insulin, you have heart failure patients, you have the guys on dialysis, all the transplantees dependent on antirejection dope, all of it made in China. What with the way our civilization has gone, I suppose it was inevitable that something like this would come along to wipe out all the exceptionals.
Insulin is the one I suspect will be most strained. Or at least one of the earliest drugs to have issues down the chain. I reckon it will act as a good indicator for how the rest of the pipeline is doing.

You hear Bernie and co bitching about how we (spoiler: those of us with actual insurance don't have to pay an arm and a leg. It's the insurance companies that foot the majority of the bill, once your copay is hit!) pay so much more for medicines than the rest of the world. In this case, that's not exactly an awful thing. If there is a strain on pharmaceuticals, which country do you think the drug companies are going to fill orders for first? The country that pays them $5 or the one that pays them $50?

I'm not really worried about getting the virus... yeah, it would suck if I was in the 15 percent that need intensive care and hospitalization, but there's no sense dwelling on it. Take care of the things you can control, not the shit that will keep you up at night. My biggest issue would be a contingency plan to ensure my dogs are cared for while myself and (likely) my spouse are sick. If you do have pets, make sure you have a plan for them if you are unable to care for them. Whether this is family coming over everyday and taking them out, feeding them. Or even if you are going to board them while you are away. Just make sure they are accounted for, because once you go in quarantine, it's going to be a real headache trying to figure out the logistics of this.

The thing that bothers me isn't even food supplies or medical supplies being low. I don't care if my amazon packages have a month delay. It's the longterm issues with the supply chain in general that irk me. If the reinfection issues prove to be true, then even China with its billions of workers is going to be hard pressed to keep up with treatment and production. They will have to implement protocols for hygiene and safety, and I guarantee you that someone is going to say "fuck this, what's the worst that can happen?" - because even in the most modern countries there's always some dumbass who has to ruin everything.

The heart and soul of China is its work force, and having just 1/3 of them in a state of quarantine or illness is going to really hurt. It might not be where we expect it, but the supply chain is very long and has many links. Things could go wrong at a single stop along the way and put a stop to the whole operation. Whether that be lack of safety precautions and the virus gets into the product, and all the subsequent links in the chain get sick, or if only working at 30% capacity causes everything collapse, because the next step in the chain isn't getting nearly enough ingredients or supplies. It's just a lot of relying on all the cogs in the machine to properly function. Which is probably why I was never one for team sports in my youth.

EmuWarsVeteran

Lord Kek's Faithful Servant.
kiwifarms.net
There has been the occasional article about how you don't want manufacturing in your country because it's dirty and icky and employs those people. It's not a commonly held view, though.

Bringing it back to the virus response, Ever since I heard Wilbur Ross say the focus was repatriating the supply chain, I felt the masterstroke (at least PR-wise) would be to offer no-interest and/or guaranteed loans for equipment related to re-establishing supplies affected by the outbreak. If you did it just right you could even put in a claimback clause saying 'if you move this production out of the country in x years, the tooling and equipment are ours now'. Even if it couldn't be sold to the workers in an employee buyout, cheap sales at GSA auction could make for good effects for small business.

Many third world countries do similar things and they work. Spain has "immobile capital" grants for that and they work to some degree but our massive brain drain tells you more is needed. I'd say combining that with small business grants, a business creation effort to aid with information and organization, a general cleaning of our tax laws so people don't find them to be an inexcrutable labyrinth made out of self-employed people's nightmares and maybe to use Democracy 3 terms the young entepeneur scheme and adult education subsidies so people actually use those grants would probably sanitize our mess of an economy quite well. But of course our ruling class would rather have grants for banks, international businesses and their close circle of friends so any laws that make the economy more transparent and manageable is not in their plans... which incidentally is probably why we have such a brain drain.

I'm not kidding when I say here it's well known if you wanna be rich you can't study STEM, and when I chose biotech for a degree practically everyone told me "you're gonna find a job fast, not in spain though, learn english." I find it hilarious in Dem3 the brain drain is caused by the fuckint luxury and mansion taxes but doesn't take into account unemployement and poverty meanwhile here in spain most emmigrants are quite open they wouldn't mind higher taxes if only THEY COULD FIND A SODDING JOB ALREADY. Hell I don't know a single scientist with really expensive tastes over here. Most just assume they're gonna be wasting most of their sallary on their own job if they even have a high sallary. Yeah wanna revamp the infrastructure. Fucking fix that shit first.

Also ultra lol at the "those people". They mean people who want to work and respect people who are useful to society? Oh yeah how evil of them to want to give back to the state to ensure our infrastructure is maintained and they can make a life within it. Obviously they should want to be maintained without ever giving back while bitching online about how opressed they are, that's the RIGHTEOUS thing to do. Fucking ultrakek.

DewsLit

kiwifarms.net
About 130 in quarantine in Helsinki, Finland. School classes and a football team with coaches.
Update:
A woman, who visited northern Italy and came back earlier this week, was confirmed on Friday to be infected with the coronavirus.
Elder man and a young kid that she was in contact with after the trip got infected by her, confirmed today.
The kid went to school and football practice while being mildly ill.
Now 130 kids and football coaches are quarantined for 14 days.

Except, quarantine apparently means "Go home and stay there. If you develop symptoms, contact hospital"
I'm sure that not one of these 130 is exceptional enough to break the "quarantine".
FFS

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net
Ever since I heard Wilbur Ross say the focus was repatriating the supply chain, I felt the masterstroke (at least PR-wise) would be to offer no-interest and/or guaranteed loans for equipment related to re-establishing supplies affected by the outbreak. If you did it just right you could even put in a claimback clause saying 'if you move this production out of the country in x years, the tooling and equipment are ours now'. Even if it couldn't be sold to the workers in an employee buyout, cheap sales at GSA auction could make for good effects for small business.
Setting that up takes time though. Long term projects like that can easily be disrupted by agitators. Sometimes they are the competition sometimes they are remoras looking to bleed money off the venture. Market failures abound.

Once their political sponsor who shields them from the worst of it goes away they wither and die. Taking all of the venture capitalists money with them.

EmuWarsVeteran

Lord Kek's Faithful Servant.
kiwifarms.net
Setting that up takes time though. Long term projects like that can easily be disrupted by agitators. Sometimes they are the competition sometimes they are remoras looking to bleed money off the venture. Market failures abound.

Once their political sponsor who shields them from the worst of it goes away they wither and die. Taking all of the venture capitalists money with them.
Not that much actually. If you go for small businesses instead of internationals revamping infrastructure is easy as shit. Yout average small cheese factory can be built in a week or two if they find the supply chain and plan it properly first, with good regional organizers, an org to make sure people within regions can contact quicker for this shit and a decently explained and organized legal system you could revamp a region in a year or two. Agitators are more or an issue qnd we all know antifa, greenpeace and BLM would go apeshit. The ones pulling their strings sure would hate it.

Honestly I've had to study this shit and even met a lot of practical examples and you'd be surprised just how quickly this shit can go when it goes well. But it needs to be easy, transparent and decentralized. And we all know ((((((SOME))))))) don't like that.