Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

ColtWalker1847

kiwifarms.net

simulated goat

pleasant goat beauty
kiwifarms.net
More about the lung transplants:
Firefox_Screenshot_2020-03-01T18-56-33.261Z.png

Firefox_Screenshot_2020-03-01T18-56-33.261Z.png
People were bringing up ways to stress out less during this with all these news stories coming out rapidly with sensationalist stories.
I recommend watching tons of comedy movies. That's a good distraction if you want a break.

Here's one I bet many haven't seen, it's called "One, Two, Three" and was directed by Billy Wilder at the height of the cold war in the early sixties. The plot revolves around a guy who works for coca-cola in West Berlin having to chaperone his manager's daughter for several months while she visits and gets romantically
entangled with a communist. I saw it for the first time a couple of months ago and was floored: the cold war humor has aged like fine wine and the rapid 'Front Page' delivery from James Cagney is amazing to watch. I seriously have not laughed so much at a movie in years. Would recommend to bunkered Kiwis, they don't make them like that anymore.

Menotaur

kiwifarms.net
Whether we get goods from China or not, the economic disaster will unfold for all countries - regardless of whom they rely on for goods and services. The cascade effect of the virus outside of China would be enough to cascade back to China and collapse its economy even if it didn't start there. Whether it starts up or down from the supply chain from the consumer down to the manufacturer or vice versa. What we've seen on the Dow is just the tip of the iceberg in recognizing this fact. The USA without the world economy is bankrupt; our reserve dollars pointless and our export ability crushed. The cascade effect from airlines shutting or slowing down is enough to fill an encyclopedia with immense effects worldwide in thousands of areas. Every industry inside and outside of China is going to be slammed.

And then when we want to talk about the cascade effect of Junk Bonds, over-burdened financed Rigs in Texas and margin calls being made to bankers on the Dow's rocket ride down...that's another set of encyclopedias.

This week - March 2nd to March 6th will be a week of recon for all markets worldwide as the short, medium and long term effects of the virus are finally priced in. Some fortunes will be made, most will be lost.

Expect a bounce as corporations exercise their right to massive buy-backs on their own shares at a great discount in this dip, but they will not defy gravity. Gravity will win. The talk about armaggedon financial meltdown-horse-shit-bloggers-predict-it-every-month year after year are over - we are here, it is happening this year and we are bearing witness to it in real time. Conspiracy theories are out the window because it is actually happening right now.

At the end of this meltdown, the corporations who have stuffed 1.5 Trillion in cash away will be able to borrow at a 5:1 ration and come up with 7.5 Trillion dollars worth of buying capacity and gobble up other corporations and companies for a song.

We will all suffer, and some super-giant corporations will be borne from this mess by December 2020, with GDPs the size of large countries, and will exert their will with relative ease.

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But wouldn't a morality rate like %2 seem a bit...overestimated? Since you get people that are living in poor conditions which make them a easy meal for the virus as we're already seeing
We don’t actually know the mortality rate yet because we don’t know how many cases are undetected in the community. Iran was at 9% last time I looked but again that’s 9% of the known cases, the mild ones aren’t being tested. 9% of people who turn up to hospital with something dying is scary. Only when we start to do widespread testing will we see how many people have been exposed to this. At the moment we are working on 1-3% because that’s the best we have. In a rich country with decent medical care it’ll be at the lower end, as long as we have capacity to treat. When we have more critical patients than beds, that number will go up.
However - 2% for a virus that causes severe respiratory distress and that humanity has never been exposed to is not at all unrealistic. Spanish flu killed 3-5%, and humanity has some degree of prior encounter with flu. This thing is sufficiently different to anything humans have encountered widely that we are immune naive to it. 2% isn’t overblown. It may be lower than that if we see loads of mild cases too, but it isn’t unrealistic. I think it’ll level out about 1-1.5% in the first world. For anywhere with no health provision, much higher

Spawn

TRULY AND HONESTLY DOSENT GIVE A DAMN
kiwifarms.net

The novel coronavirus has probably been spreading undetected for about six weeks in Washington state, where the first U.S. death was reported this weekend. A genetic analysis suggests that the cases are linked through community transmission and that this has been going on for weeks, with hundreds of infections likely in the state.
Two new cases were confirmed in Washington state’s King County on Sunday, bringing that state’s total to eight. Rhode Island also announced its first probable case. If confirmed, it will be the second on the East Coast, after a previously announced case in Massachusetts. The Rhode Island patient is in his 40s and had traveled to Europe in mid-February.
The global death toll is climbing toward 3,000 on four continents. The first U.S. death, in Washington state, was man in his 50s with underlying health conditions, officials said. The patient had no recent travel history or contact with people known to be infected, officials said.

Officials in the Seattle area are monitoring a possibly outbreak at a long-term nursing home. The elderly are considered to be especially vulnerable to infection. One patient is a health-care worker in her 40s who was in satisfactory condition, according to state health officials. The other, a resident in her 70s, is in serious condition.

Welp there goes Seattle I'll miss the grunge music but not the coffee and liberal bullshit.

Radiant Orchit

kiwifarms.net
Twelve more confirmed cases in England:

Can't wait to navigate the germ soup that is the public transport system tomorrow morning. Actually, that would be helpful - guidance for obligate commuters who don't have the option to 'catch it, bin it, kill it' as we're packed in like sardines and there are no damn bins. Give up and embrace Nurgle?

Shield Breaker

Blabber Mouth
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A little bird has told me of a woman, a doctor, coming back from Iran via Frankfurt Airport, who is infected but avoided detection by taking meds. Waiting for further information, if the flight she takes or has taken is known etc.

Even if it isn't as bad as people here think, any asshole who does this needs to be prosecuted and or sued for the costs of anyone who is infected by her. That is the only way to get idiots to not do that.

remiem

The Lost Temple
kiwifarms.net
More about the lung transplants:

View attachment 1168342

Here's one I bet many haven't seen, it's called "One, Two, Three" and was directed by Billy Wilder at the height of the cold war in the early sixties. The plot revolves around a guy who works for coca-cola in West Berlin having to chaperone his manager's daughter for several months while she visits and gets romantically
entangled with a communist. I saw it for the first time a couple of months ago and was floored: the cold war humor has aged like fine wine and the rapid 'Front Page' delivery from James Cagney is amazing to watch. I seriously have not laughed so much at a movie in years. Would recommend to bunkered Kiwis, they don't make them like that anymore.

Something about this isn't adding up. This guy has to be a party member of importance or something, otherwise this is nonsense- risky nonsense. You can't claim lung transplants are a way to reduce morality when you need another healthy set of lungs to replace the old ones AND those lungs could very well end up infected after the fact. The massive influx of dead wouldn't be prime candidates either because they'd probably be in rough shape / or died of Corona themselves.

This is super poorly translated and/or incredibly sinister.

Male Idiot

Das rite!
kiwifarms.net
Something about this isn't adding up. This guy has to be a party member of importance or something, otherwise this is nonsense- risky nonsense. You can't claim lung transplants are a way to reduce morality when you need another healthy set of lungs to replace the old ones AND those lungs could very well end up infected after the fact. The massive influx of dead wouldn't be prime candidates either because they'd probably be in rough shape / or died of Corona themselves.

This is super poorly translated and/or incredibly sinister.

There are plenty of dissidents in China who are more than happy to totally willingly donate their lungs for the Party. This is no surprise.

qu_rahn

kiwifarms.net
"First successful lung transplant of ncovid19 patient in China"

How much does this virus fuck you up? I've had pneumonia before don't remember getting my lungs replaced

Yeah pneumonia can sometimes cause scarring in the lungs (pulmonary fibrosis). https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-fibrosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20353690

If the person is a heavy smoker and/or exposed to a lot of pollution then their lungs are probably in bad shape to begin with

Gender of peace

Fully automated luxury autism
kiwifarms.net
You know, I'd be really interested to find out how many of all the deaths so far were people who are not:
a) over the age of 60
b) already suffering with some pre-existing health condition
c) a currently practicing healthcare professional
ETA: d) resident of China

Recently posted Medcram video looked at the (caveat: using official CCP stats) and linked to this paper:
Archive

Key findings:
  • Case-fatality rate
    • 2.3% (1023 of 44 672 confirmed cases)
    • 14.8% in patients aged ≥80 years (208 of 140)
    • 8.0% in patients aged 70-79 years (312 of 391)
    • 49.0% in critical cases (1023 of 2087)
  • Health care personnel infected
    • 3.8% (1716 of 44 672)
    • 63% in Wuhan (1080 of 1716)
    • 14.8% cases classified as severe or critical (247 of 1668)
    • 5 deaths

Costco_a419ae_7568992.jpg

Costco_557be0_7568992.jpg

Costco_98a6ef_7568992.jpg

Lol, Diseased Coast resulting in Costco runs.

Had a family member check Costco conditions in his area (midsize Great Lakes city), none of this is going on. Same where I'm at in TX. r/preppers has a number of threads reporting shortages by location if you can brave that particular flavor of autism (not linking). The tl'dr is most US places ok currently, sporadic panic buying of hygiene items esp. toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Oddly, bottled water? Bitch, this ain't a hurricane. Calm your tits and get you some bar soap.

The pet pharmacy is all out of Fish Mox antibiotics. There are cephalosporins and cipro from another supplier nope those are unavailable as well. Amoxicillin is unavailable. So it begins.

If you are going to buy fish antibiotics and you know when and when NOT to use them, try thomaslabs.com

Otterly

Primark Primarch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Was that part ever actually confirmed? I remember people freaking out about it, but never a credible source.
The case reports (the JAMA one is posted way back in the thread) have quite a few cases of acute cardiac injury markers being raised. It’s certainly one thing this virus can do. What people usually think of as an heart attack’ is an infarction, which is most often from a blocked vessel, but there are other ways to damage the heart muscle. Big dumps of stress hormones like catecholamines can literally stun the heart muscle, and acute damage can be caused by injury and illness. Some viral infections like flu can damage valves and muscle too.

Innominandum

kiwifarms.net
Turns out the WuFlu (COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2) could possibly be a tad deadlier than SARS.

Compared with non-severe patients with COVID-19, severe patients commonly had neurological symptoms manifested as acute cerebrovascular diseases, consciousness impairment and skeletal muscle symptoms.​
In conclusion, SARS-CoV-2 may infect nervous system, skeletal muscle as well as respiratory tract. In those with severe infection, neurological involvement is more likely, which includes acute cerebrovascular diseases, conscious disturbance and skeletal muscle injury. Involvement of the nervous system carries a poor prognosis.​
Their clinical conditions may worsen and patients may die soon.​
Screenshot(11).png
The retrospective case series study also includes Lab findings grouped by Symptom Category... medical Kiwis hf 🎉
Friendly disclaimer: This study hasn't been peer reviewed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ only the chinks could do a meaningful peer-review anyway.​

Attachments

• Retrospective case series study_22_2_20.pdf
    402.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

MediocreMilt

JUST
kiwifarms.net
The case reports (the JAMA one is posted way back in the thread) have quite a few cases of acute cardiac injury markers being raised. It’s certainly one thing this virus can do. What people usually think of as an heart attack’ is an infarction, which is most often from a blocked vessel, but there are other ways to damage the heart muscle. Big dumps of stress hormones like catecholamines can literally stun the heart muscle, and acute damage can be caused by injury and illness. Some viral infections like flu can damage valves and muscle too.
Ok but how realistic is the specific Doomer scenario of:

Get WuFlu -> recover -> get it again -> "Oh fuck my heart!" -> dead?

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
That's still a lot of people if it gets really really bad.
It's terrible if you consider the human aspect of it. It means everyone on earth will either have a family member or acquaintance die to the wuflu. So while it's fun to shitpost about boomers kicking the bucket and freeing up all that prime real estate, in reality it's a lot of sad families. I try not to think about that usually because it's terribly sad and there's nothing which can be done against it beside cracking down hard, and no one is up to paralyzing humanity for a month.
It reminded me of a conversation I had with a coworker about a month ago when this thing was ramping up and he talked about how 2% mortality rate might actually be good for the planet and some nonsense. HOW DARE YOU and I uncharacteristically burst at the nigga. What the hell man, those are people with families. I blame Greta