Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

1Tonka_Truck

Loaded Like A Boxcar Moving Like A Racecar
kiwifarms.net
PSA: if you have high fever, you are contagious, go to a hospital you neanderthal
If your fever is under 103° F stay the fuck home, take some antipyretics (Tylenol, Advil), and drink water. You're likely to be exposed to something worse sitting in the ER for hours for them to tell you the same shit.

DefCon Dumb

Confronter of Cryptoid Cuntiness
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
According to a ProMed article, 7 hospitals in Wuhan & I'm sorry; I don't have their patient capacity, have been designated "Wu-Flu" only hospitals - great name for it by the way. That begs a few questions. 7 & if I read right, others on stand by for such designation means they either have or are expecting a shit ton more patients requiring admission. Really? If so, why? What aren't they saying?

Next... what do you do with the patients already IN hospital for conditions where that's necessary?

I have no idea what China is trying to pull. Even their most isolated leaders must know this has gone well beyond saving face. I have NEVER seen anything close to this type of reaction from the Chinese or anyone else, for that matter. Others have pointed out the growing number of cities essentially shutting down, transportation grinding to a screeching halt with all the supply line problems that entails. And several posts here have referred to highways &... rail? being literally removed. Insanity - beyond insanity.

This is the sort of reaction I'd expect if a filovirus, (Ebola) maintained it's over 50% fatality rate AND went airborne. This is not something I expect for a coronavirus & without more detailed explanation from China, does nothing but fuel speculation about hidden cases & a potentially sketchy origin for this virus.

Come oooooooooooooon facts! We really need them now.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
YOU are infecting all of us... Only Chinese can understand chinese, and only chinese spies are allowed to go to the west...
I gained a basic understanding of spoken Mandarin during university, since a large proportion of the other students were from China and they struggled with spoken English, so I ended up having to understand them talk in Mandarin when working in the lab or on other collaborative projects.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
1580012309486.png

Higher res:

1580012325599.png

1580012407489.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Vajze Shqiptare

Non-white
kiwifarms.net
Uhhh, when people were calling it super AIDS, it was in a joking manner.

Edit: Tweet archived.

View attachment 1115661

From a few minutes reading about this, here's what I learned.

These are old HIV medications that inhibit viral replication by binding to proteases, which are enzymes that accelerate the break down of proteins, and therefore prevent the processes which allow the virus to reproduce because if you stop proteolysis from happening the virus cannot replicate as rapidly because it relies on the proteases and protoelysis. Presumably, this stops the virus from taking over and damaging or destroying more cells which causes the pneumonia.

Last edited:

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I gained a basic understanding of spoken Mandarin during university, since a large proportion of the other students were from China and they struggled with spoken English, so we just ended up having to converse in Mandarin when working in the lab or on other collaborative projects.
Lab? You Worked on this shit! very suspect Mutation pattern. 2 high security labs very close to the source of the virus, Chinese Spies stealing Samples from Canada and a kiwi randomly learning chinese to understand Chinese people. their Partys are lame and their woman are meh, why would you learn their language?

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lab? You Worked on this shit! very suspect Mutation pattern. 2 high security labs very close to the source of the virus, Chinese Spies stealing Samples from Canada and a kiwi randomly learning chinese to understand Chinese people. their Partys are lame and their woman are meh, why would you learn their language?
If I couldn't converse with the other people in the lab, I wouldn't have been able to pass the associated courses. In a scientific setting, it's actually a little bit easier to learn a foreign language, because no matter what is the verbal working language in the lab, all the experimental protocols and instructions must be written in English, everything has to be documented in English, and of course the scientific literature is in English. It's like a kind of Rosetta stone, where you can easily compare the English vocabulary to the foreign vocabulary on the spot.

Death Grip

Mmmmmn Tasty
kiwifarms.net

These are old HIV medications that inhibit viral replication by binding to proteases, which are enzymes that accelerate the break down of proteins, and therefore prevent the processes which allow the virus to reproduce because if you stop proteolysis from happening the virus cannot replicate as rapidly because it relies on the proteases and protoelysis.
What's the downsides to these medications? I.e side effects etc?

Rotollo

"Consider Euthanasia!"
kiwifarms.net

These are old HIV medications that inhibit viral replication by binding to proteases, which are enzymes that accelerate the break down of proteins, and therefore prevent the processes which allow the virus to reproduce because if you stop proteolysis from happening the virus cannot replicate as rapidly because it relies on the proteases and protoelysis.
so boomers coming down with corona will stop bug chasers from getting their meds?

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
They have been treating the infected in China with HIV antiviral medications and others

Wait, is corona even a retrovirus? Most HIV meds are antiretrovirals. I can’t believe I didn’t ask about that. If it isn’t they’re just wasting even more expensive shit.

You can't treat a coronavirus by targeting HIV proteases. They are so completely genetically different. viral treatments like these are usually meant for a very specific virus. The only correct response rn is quarantine.

CreamyHerman’s

I FUCKING HATE TRUMP, I LOVE BIDEN’S COCK
kiwifarms.net
there appeared to be some minor typos, this was clearly what was intended
Sorry, I was getting ready to go out. I meant to say that even if there were no American deaths, it's still a pandemic and we should make sure we try to treat it before it is too late.

Vajze Shqiptare

Non-white
kiwifarms.net
Wait, is corona even a retrovirus? Most HIV meds are antiretrovirals. I can’t believe I didn’t ask about that. If it isn’t they’re just wasting even more expensive shit.

Well, I warn you I'm not a medical professional of any sort.

Wikipedia says, "The RNA genome is replicated and a long polyprotein is formed, where all of the proteins are attached. Coronaviruses have a non-structural protein – a protease – which is able to separate the proteins in the chain. This is a form of genetic economy for the virus, allowing it to encode the greatest number of genes in a small number of nucleotides.[15]

So if you inhibit the proteases that accelerate proteolysis with these old HIV antivirals that bind to proteases then you stop the Coronoavirus from being able to replicate and damage other cells and worsen the pneumonia.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net

You can't treat a coronavirus by targeting HIV proteases. They are so completely genetically different. viral treatments like these are usually meant for a very specific virus. The only correct response rn is quarantine.
I would guess they are useing Ritonavir in combination with some other drugs.