Wuhan Coronavirus: Megathread -

Which country(ies) will fare the worst due to the WuFlu?

• Total voters

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All the evidence of pet contagion rests on one powderpuff doggo who was trapped inside with an ill owner for weeks. The dog's case seems to be mild. I think if people heed the Petco letter, wash hands and refrain from slobbering all over their pets the potential for infection is likely pretty low.

Even those doing testing on the dog seemed to feel that the positive hit on swabs from nose and mouth were so low level as to be almost certainly simply environmental contact, and not actually carrying the infection itself. In short the dog was probably licking it’s sick owner, and had traces of the virus on its nose and mouth. Not unlike you getting it on your hands. Pets cannot carry or host the virus. They can however be a mechanism for physical transfer. Especially within the same household.

Richard Harrow

“Look, fat, look, here's the deal...”
kiwifarms.net
Iran:

5823 confirmed / 145 dead / 1669 recovered

4747 / 124 / 913 yesterday
Word is, Iran should have some sort of multiplier to those numbers. I mean, these guys have lawmakers and government officials croaking. I could be wrong.
Edit: Let's face it, they're not renowned for their transparency either.

Kiwisatz Spergeract

I chose the chocolate highway over the golden path
kiwifarms.net
I don’t understand the rabid journalist and twitterati response to Pence on this. Acting as the lead agency coordinator on something like this is actually the type of thing that Pence does very well by all accounts.
He is a very good administrator, but they like to harp on the fact he was slow to implement a needle exchange program in Indiana when he was governor, leading to degenerate junkies spreading aids among themselves.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Word is, Iran should have some sort of multiplier to those numbers. I mean, these guys have lawmakers and government officials croaking. I could be wrong.

Iran is a shithole so they likely have little way in testing for the virus except for political and religious leaders. It’s why their numbers are so low yet numerous senior officials are dying.

Dave.

We can’t expect god to do all the work
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to give my potentially unpopular take on all of this; WHO and CDC is just as clueless as we are and the mainstream media is just making things worse. WHO and CDC need to get their shit together and start testing and the mainstream media needs to stop circling this pandemic like fucking vultures and spreading panic about anecdotal or coincidental details happening in China.

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
He's already starting to pay, with a huge loss of face. His country has also proven they are nowhere near becoming a world power.
I think another tarirf should be in order and have that money go to the hospitals that are fighting this in the US. Oh I know this will not happen because I know that corporate greed is involved in all levels.

I also know that Whinne the Poo has already increased his propaganda on this being a US/foreign made virus making this not their fault.

Fucking shit monkeys doing what they do best. Throwing shit to see what sticks.

ditto

kiwifarms.net

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
78, 82 and 95... their general state of health at that age is simply "not dead yet". Begining in your late 70's even when in seeming good health, any change, trauma, injury or illness can lead to a systemic cascade of escalaing problems that will rapidly lead to death. Your body can no longer absorb the punishment it once could. You are in an ever narrowing state of equilibrium, and anything can tip it over the edge.

There aren't enough cases and deaths in Western countries yet, but it may well be that the original advice that people over 50 in general are vulnerable was overly pessimistic.

There's a lot we aren't going to know with any certainty until a lot more people are infected, so I would expect a lot of the current projections to change as Western health systems gather more and better data.

Non-Expert!

Check your immunoprivelege.
kiwifarms.net
Iran is a shithole so they likely have little way in testing for the virus except for political and religious leaders. It’s why their numbers are so low yet numerous senior officials are dying.
No, sorry to disagree. Iran might seem like an oppressive dictatorship to us, but that is a whole other issue.

Iran is a country that is very current with stuff like population control, women's education, higher education, advanced medical care.

Senior officials might be dying and their parliament is ailing, for the same reason that if one employee at the Library of Congress falls ill with the Corona virus, there would be an epidemic among Librarians and Patrons. And some elderly members of the board of directors who attended a meeting with the Corona-carrier, could die.

Whether a librarian picked up the Corona Virus from a homeless man on the subway in metropolitan DC, or from a security guard at the 7-11 ... we wouldn't have a way of knowing either.

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There aren't enough cases and deaths in Western countries yet, but it may well be that the original advice that people over 50 in general are vulnerable was overly pessimistic.

There's a lot we aren't going to know with any certainty until a lot more people are infected, so I would expect a lot of the current projections to change as Western health systems gather more and better data.

It's a Viral Pneumonia. Just as a matter of course it poses much greater risks for those 55+ and an extreme risk for those 70+. That's the nature of Pneumonia. This is just worse for how virulent it seems to be.

Disheveled Human

Some people say I eat too many chocolate bars
kiwifarms.net
I got a quick question. If you don't have a preexisting condition, how long does it take for the immune system to stabilize/recover after successfully fighting off an illness? So like hypothetically, if someone's recovered from the flu, how long should it take for their body to be strong enough to take on another illness?

I had the worst flu of my life about 5 years ago high fever delirium loss of appetite no cravings for cigarettes and was laid up in bed for a week sleeping 18 hours a day, then it just went away like from 100 to 0 over night and I started drinking beer and smoking the next day like it never happened it was weird. I heard some stories of some people getting over the flu or viral pneumonia and felt shaky for a month after the fact so it depends on the illness is my guess.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to give my potentially unpopular take on all of this; WHO and CDC is just as clueless as we are and the mainstream media is just making things worse. WHO and CDC need to get their shit together and start testing and the mainstream media needs to stop circling this pandemic like fucking vultures and spreading panic about anecdotal or coincidental details happening in China.
Better yet, people need to call out the MSM for being vultures and making things infinitely worse.

BiggusDickus

kiwifarms.net
Wasn't able to find much but Afghanistan now has 4 confirmed cases.

Pakistan closed the Afghan border.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen this posted: somebody from Iran arrived on the island of Tasmania and was advised to "self-isolate". So he went shopping:

Man who tested positive for coronavirus visited Launceston supermarket before self-isolating, authorities say (http://archive.vn/2wiLq)
The man chose to visit the Woolworths store in Wellington Street, Launceston, on Sunday night, before his diagnosis was confirmed. ... He said the supermarket was safe to visit.

Tasmania closed borders to prevent the Spanish flu outbreak, but experts say it would not work with coronavirus (http://archive.vn/MiGVp)
She said even if Tasmania wanted to close the borders to stop the virus from spreading, with one confirmed coronavirus case in the state already, it was too late.
"Human-human transmission has already started … once it's there, you probably have more than one case anyway," he said.
"It's a bit panicky and overreacting what's going on."

Australia is one of the few countries on earth that could completely isolate if it chose. Instead they are going to embrace Nurgle.

pairaducks

The original lurker
kiwifarms.net
I haven't seen this posted: somebody from Iran arrived on the island of Tasmania and was advised to "self-isolate". So he went shopping:

Man who tested positive for coronavirus visited Launceston supermarket before self-isolating, authorities say (http://archive.vn/2wiLq)

Tasmania closed borders to prevent the Spanish flu outbreak, but experts say it would not work with coronavirus (http://archive.vn/MiGVp)

Australia is one of the few countries on earth that could completely isolate if it chose. Instead they are going to embrace Nurgle.
I know it was someone from Iran with this one but it still fits
1580466678675.jpg

RodgerDodger

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

And yet Iran is admitting that quite a few of their top leadership has died. Which is kind of shocking for them. I mean their head terrorist the leader of the Basij died today and they announced it. You know the guy that kept the masses in check by massacring Iranian protesters last year. You would think that if anything they might want to hold back on letting everyone know that their fearless and bloodthirsty attack dog who will kill anyone who complains is dead?

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Tassie also had someone who was told to self-isolate continue to go to work. At a major hotel.