Xbox One: Thoughts?

Springblossom

Dungeon Crawlaholic
kiwifarms.net
Seeing as how Microsoft just formally revealed their new console, I thought we could share thoughts and opinions.

Personally, I have my doubts. Not having backwards compatibility definitely sticks in my craw, and there's no fucking way I'm buying it if it doesn't support pre-owned games.

Honestly, if Microsoft (or anyone, for that matter) makes a console that doesn't do pre-owned games, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. They'll get some business from the rabid fanboys, but most of my friends I've discussed this with have said they wouldn't buy a console that forces them to buy every game new, unless new games had a major price drop. And that's not even getting into how Gamestop and other used-game retailers would react.

http://www.redmondpie.com/xbox-one-feat ... one-place/
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-575 ... -xbox-one/
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/12 ... tures-news

EDIT: I'll give them this much credit, the new controller looks and sounds pretty awesome. It's sad when the only thing about your console that interests me is the controller.

BigAltheGreat921

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I'm gonna stick with the good ol' 360. Amazing how it's held up so well for eight years.

Also the name: Xbox One? Seriously? I use that to refer to the original console. Not very creative, Microsoft...

Male

This guy fucks!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The design looks pretty goddamn ugly, I thought we had left VHS players well behind.

Bgheff

kiwifarms.net
The console will come with 8 gigabyes of RAM, a Blu-ray drive, USB 3.0 connector and HDMI in and out.

Whoopti fucking do. So their new system that is going to last them another 10 years is about as good as a low-mid range pc now. This thing is going to be a dinosuar in a few years. the DRM no used games seems like a middle finger to gamestop, whos profits gaming companies have been wanting for a good time. Lastly, the speech thing is flashly but it feels like the Kinnect. Something to impress people with in commercials rather than being a terribly useful feature.

All in all, I hope Sony has something impressive or this generation systems are all just bullshit.

Ryan Rash

LET IT OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!
kiwifarms.net
I think you don't need to be Chris to realize the Xbox One is a steaming pile of fecal matter.

homerbeoulve

99% nerd, 1% sane. 100% human.
kiwifarms.net
Xbox One: Microsoft's ONE last stand on the video game industry. You can call it their swan dance.

BigBoss

kiwifarms.net
I posted my feelings about it extensively on Tumblr, but it basically boils down to this:

i4L6L9g.gif

It's a social media-accessing Blu-Ray player that eats money.

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My year old mid range gaming pc is better. Lol.

Springblossom

Dungeon Crawlaholic
kiwifarms.net
Bgheff said:
All in all, I hope Sony has something impressive or this generation systems are all just bullshit.
Doubt it. They already have that retarded dedicated sharing button; it's pretty much an indicator that the thing's features are going to be 'SOCIAL MEDIA! YOUTUBE BROWSING! LIVE TV STREAMING!...oh yeah, and something about games or whatever', like every other console this generation. Who the hell even uses those things?

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
Thoughts? as somebody who hardly watches tv or sports and doesn't play Call of Duty, it's clearly not aimed at me. It's appeared to be more of a swanky voice activated digibox that plays games on the side. Despite negativity from the gaming community, I can still see the US market clamoring for it tbh. Microsoft managed to convince millions to rush out and spend 140 beans on a kinect a few years ago.

As for the pre-owned issue, it's been stated that discs will be tied to your account, and there's a mandatory install. They've claimed that you can still sell on your disc, but common sense would dictate that the buyer would then need to pay some sort of unlocking fee. Although this is muddied by the fact that in different interviews Phil Harrison seems to be incapable of being clear about the precise nature of the system.

As somebody who pretty much only buys games brand new, on the surface this shouldn't bother me. But it also means that I wouldn't be able to give a friend a shot of a game and vice-versa. To me, this has always been a fundamental part of the hobby. I'm also something of a collector, so what's going to happen in a decade or two's time when the infrastructure no longer exists to "activate" some of these games?

In fairness this is no different to the way PC gaming has operated for years, and in many way's PC gaming's been more restrictive, but then that's often down to the individual publishers and developers. It should also be said that Sony haven't said that they're not going down this route as well.

Fialovy

isekai'd to CWCville
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All I can say is... XBOX ONE?! More like...

XBOX LOST!!!

Okay, lame joke is over...

Anchuent Christory

kiwifarms.net
Fialovy said:
All I can say is... XBOX ONE?! More like...

XBOX LOST!!!

Okay, lame joke is over...

Or Playstation 4 - Xbox 1.

Thing is, nobody's talked price points yet and that's really what it all comes down to. Microsoft do actually have the ability to sell at a significant loss and recoup the money through the inevitable subscription charges that will go along with all the swanky TV services they showed off. I am actually genuinely intrigued as to how it's all going to pan out tbh.

But none of this matters, as we don't have Chris' opinion on the matter yet. We all know how much he hates Xbox, but I would imagine the idea of controlling all your connected devices by sitting on your ass and shouting at them would be enormously appealing to him.

Springblossom

Dungeon Crawlaholic
kiwifarms.net
Anchuent Christory said:
As somebody who pretty much only buys games brand new, on the surface this shouldn't bother me. But it also means that I wouldn't be able to give a friend a shot of a game and vice-versa. To me, this has always been a fundamental part of the hobby. I'm also something of a collector, so what's going to happen in a decade or two's time when the infrastructure no longer exists to "activate" some of these games?
That's it. That's what's been bothering me. If this thing requires an internet connection to activate a game, then what happens when it gets phased out for the Nextbox (such a better name than Xbox One) and they take down the old infrastructure? Is the entire Xbox One library just going to be rendered unplayable? And what about the downloadable stuff, is it just going to vanish into digital ether? As someone who pretty fervently believes that video games can be art, I think that would be a fucking travesty.

Honestly, what I hope is that this whole generation crashes and burns.

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They call it Xbox One because you take one look at it and say, "ugh, no thanks," then WALK AWAY, HAHAHAHA, FUCK YOU MICROSOFT, I FINALLY GET TO USE THAT JOKE.

Anchuent Christory

kiwifarms.net
Springblossom said:
Anchuent Christory said:
That's it. That's what's been bothering me. If this thing requires an internet connection to activate a game, then what happens when it gets phased out for the Nextbox (such a better name than Xbox 1) and they take down the old infrastructure? Is the entire Xbox One library just going to be rendered unplayable? And what about the downloadable stuff, is it just going to vanish into digital ether? As someone who pretty fervently believes that video games can be art, I think that would be a fucking travesty.

Honestly, what I hope is that this whole generation crashes and burns.

The irony is, this digital age should be making it easier to preserve our videogaming history, not harder.

Ryan Rash

LET IT OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!
kiwifarms.net
THEY CALL IT XBOX ONE BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU TURN ONE DEGREE AND WALK IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION

SEE HOW GOOD I CAN MATH? I CAN ALSO COUNT TO POTATO

spaps

I'LL FUCK YOU OFF AT NO COST
kiwifarms.net
Hmm... PC gaming is looking pretty good right now.

CatParty

Boo
Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Springblossom said:
The Hunter said:
spaps said:
Hmm... PC gaming is looking pretty good right now.
Turbografx 16 is looking pretty good right now.
Virtual Boy is looking pretty good right now.

Paint drying is looking pretty good right now.