XenForo has revoked our license

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Null

Custodian of Records, King of Lies, Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Featured on Dec 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM: XenForo has revoked our software license.
Long-time friend of the forum Samuel Collingwood Smith emailed some more threats to XenForo and they discontinued our license. If you don't know, Sam has been the primary actor in trying to deplatform the site for more than 6 years now. He has been quiet for a while but has always been looking for opportunities to insert himself in our affairs.

1638393088703.png

The results of this decision are:
1. We can continue using the software, as it is, indefinitely.
2. I will no longer receive customer support.
3. I will not get updates to the software.

With #3 I am subscribed to 0day trackers so if something compromises the version of the software we're on I will find a way to patch it out. Don't want to say much more than that.

Moving forward,
Nothing changes, for a while.

XenForo's issues drove me to start working on forum software made in Rust very recently, coincidentally.

There are numerous issues with XenForo. It cannot serve its purpose for a site as large as ours. We are one of the largest and most active communities running XenForo. Our community also uploads more multimedia than any other XenForo site. PHP (the language XenForo and many websites are written in) has extreme limitations in dealing with multimedia. I have had to hard-code many customization to get the site to work as well as it does. I have other very serious complaints but I will have to sit down to adequately outline them so that everyone can understand.

If you are a Rust developer interested in writing forum software with me, please get in contact and provide some examples of your work. We are currently using Actix, SeaQL[PgSQL], and Askama for templating.

Cheers.

(P.S. The 'Activate XenForo' watermark is a joke.)

Last edited:

Unassuming Local Guy

Friendly and affectionate
kiwifarms.net
Why specifically Rust? It's a great language, and very powerful, but it seems like overkill for this kind of thing. Not to mention the extremely limited developer pool could make it hard to find devs. C++ might net better results because of how ubiquitous it is while still being more than fast enough to write forum software with. You could probably get away with C# too.

Really as long as it's not PHP it'll be an improvement. You could probably make a webserver in Visual Basic and it'd suck less.