$ (XMR) Monero -

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net

@CrunkLord420 turned me onto XMR and I have a considerable amount of thanks to give him for that seeing as XMR just hit $160.

Monero is an interesting coin which I see as having more sticking power than alts like ETH because while ETH's built-in contracts are an interesting gimmick to launch with, they have seen almost no use. Monero's built-in gimmick, on the other hand, has an innate and passive quality that everyone can appreciate without needing to care: privacy. It uses a very complicated 0-knowledge ring of trust to do transactions and as a result money can go from Point A to Point B leaving behind a secure transaction that both verifies the change of hands while protecting the agents involved.

The Kiwi Farms has an XMR wallet, thank you for asking. It is here.
438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

XMR is currently my favorite practical currency.

Last edited:

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I see XMR's ASIC-resistant process as both a blessing and a curse for it. It means that mining will stay fairly decentralized compared to most big cryptos now that are controlled by a couple enterprises in China mining at an industrial scale. That's also a bad thing for it though, because it means they aren't promoting it either, which greatly diminishes its adoption compared to bigger coins.

Reactions: Grapefruit

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I see XMR's ASIC-resistant process as both a blessing and a curse for it. It means that mining will stay fairly decentralized compared to most big cryptos now that are controlled by a couple enterprises in China mining at an industrial scale. That's also a bad thing for it though, because it means they aren't promoting it either, which greatly diminishes its adoption compared to bigger coins.
I don't see what there is to promote, from a mining perspective. Hashrate will come with price, miners who sell for BTC (I'd say the majority) will just see what nets them the most profit. The CPU-focused mining is the biggest blessing since it's the lowest common denominator of a computer (as opposed to barely-computers with 6 video cards attached). The applicability to asmjs has opened a whole new world of decentralized miners through browsers, something that would be hard to target against video cards because there's a big distinction between AMD/NVIDIA and non-existent on Intel HD graphics.

I'm perfectly fine with the non-existent state of Monero's marketing/PR department. What attracts me to it is it's FOSS nature, as opposed to being ran like a corporation.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't see what there is to promote, from a mining perspective. Hashrate will come with price, miners who sell for BTC (I'd say the majority) will just see what nets them the most profit. The CPU-focused mining is the biggest blessing since it's the lowest common denominator of a computer (as opposed to barely-computers with 6 video cards attached). The applicability to asmjs has opened a whole new world of decentralized miners through browsers, something that would be hard to target against video cards because there's a big distinction between AMD/NVIDIA and non-existent on Intel HD graphics.

I'm perfectly fine with the non-existent state of Monero's marketing/PR department. What attracts me to it is it's FOSS nature, as opposed to being ran like a corporation.
I don't doubt that companies that are mining on a huge scale are only doing just that though. They have a huge incentive to get more people buying cryptos, since more buyers means higher prices and more money for them. I don't know how often they pay literal shills to go promote coins around the internet, but I have no doubts that they have ways to get more people and more money into cryptos. There's tons of cryptojews in China and other Asian countries that no one in the west knows about because of the lack of interaction between the two, and miners there have no incentive to get more chinabux put into XMR, unlike all the other coins that they can actually mine.

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A not-so-secret about Monero's price is that it's pretty detached from USD pair, it does it's own thing on the BTC charts. Monero is going up while BTC is mooning near $10k.
upload_2017-11-27_22-15-9.png

I'm still holding my long.

Update: I'm out at 0.0198 BTC. It might blow off above .02, but I don't want to sit through another retrace in a long near the upper-end of the range. XMR is above $200 USD now. If BTC drops here, I expect XMR:USD to drop along with it.
upload_2017-11-28_17-9-21.png

PS. don't make trades based off these posts

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kiwi Jeff

Carolus_Rex

kiwifarms.net
I'm taking the plunge and started mining Monero on my desktop. What is the best way to do a real world benchmark to see whether or not I'm going in the hold on this?

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm taking the plunge and started mining Monero on my desktop. What is the best way to do a real world benchmark to see whether or not I'm going in the hold on this?
Run a miner for 10 minutes and put your hashrate into a payout calculator, most pools have one built into their interface.

CrunkLord420

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You dropped da big tip when XMR was $20 in the supporter thread waaay back when
To be honest I had no idea that was going to happen, my expectation is that Monero keeps it's value relative to BTC. Monero is only worth $300-$400 right now because of BTC.

It makes sense if you consider Monero to be a functional utility to be used in combination with BTC.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
To be honest I had no idea that was going to happen, my expectation is that Monero keeps it's value relative to BTC. Monero is only worth $300-$400 right now because of BTC.

It makes sense if you consider Monero to be a functional utility to be used in combination with BTC.
I think BTC is eventually going to lose its relevance as a currency because it is virtually useless as a currency, and it will be replaced at some point by a currency that can actually be used like cash.

I don't think it will lose its value, although this current ridiculous bubble will deflate back to a semi-normal state.

• Agree
Reactions: Null

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I think BTC is eventually going to lose its relevance as a currency because it is virtually useless as a currency, and it will be replaced at some point by a currency that can actually be used like cash.

I don't think it will lose its value, although this current ridiculous bubble will deflate back to a semi-normal state.
I completely agree. BTC will probably stick around as an equity but it's more everything else around it that's exciting.

Lesbian Sleepover

Party Announcement
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love the mining of XMR, it is my 100% dedication. The difficulty on ETH picked way up in October thereabouts and made it difficult. My business accepts XMR and we spread as much awareness as possible about it.

Which is my only gripe currently. The slow burn adoption of it. We had a smaller customer who is related to the business of the kiosk devices that people in the US use to cash in BTC to USD. A 10 ring payment for < $5KUSD took an hour to clear but we love being able to watch it make the rounds, so to speak.
My hope is a secure widget will arise from the ashes of phone based/paper based/hackable wallets and the stepchild of credit cards.

Leo Bonhart

Words of truth are not pleasing.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino