YABookgate -

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Who would win in a sleuthing fight, Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden?

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Not strictly YA, but I need to post this somewhere before I get a brain aneurysm. What a pompous, arrogant, fucknoodle. What I get for following John Scalzi. Who, of course, retweeted this.

30+ Tweets and the conclusion seems to be "Because I said so, and if you think otherwise you're a reactionary." No wonder Science Fiction sucks these days. And no wonder short fiction is in even worse shape.

Threaded:

Archive:

People will still be reading Lovecraft in ten years. This knucklehead's anthology? 🙄

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not strictly YA, but I need to post this somewhere before I get a brain aneurysm. What a pompous, arrogant, fucknoodle. What I get for following John Scalzi. Who, of course, retweeted this.

30+ Tweets and the conclusion seems to be "Because I said so, and if you think otherwise you're a reactionary." No wonder Science Fiction sucks these days. And no wonder short fiction is in even worse shape.

Threaded:

Archive:

People will still be reading Lovecraft in ten years. This knucklehead's anthology? 🙄
Of course this self-regarding twaddle ends in a shill for his own product. Of course. Of course.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, the guy has maybe half a point - it's true that there's no such thing as "selecting purely on merit" when real-world considerations intrude, as they inevitably do.
It's just that next leap, when he says "Since perfection is impossible, I might as well do what makes me feel righteous, regardless of quality".

DungeonMaster

kiwifarms.net
If you were going to self-publish a YA series explicitly aimed at boys, what would be the best way of going about at it?

Like what platforms would work best and how would you go about writing the characters, setting, and overall genre?
I've actually gestated some half-baked ideas. A modern fantasy setting, like RWBY, except with more elaborate worldbuilding, revolving around several anachronistic city-states that mix 1980s Japanese technology with 1880s American capitalism. One of my main gripes with anime-inspired settings are how averse to grotesque and surreal imagery in favour of everything looking shiny and glamorous. This is where the New Weird influence comes in.

So the villains will have terrifying body-horror abilities like the pillar men, and the creepier parts of the cities will resemble New Crobuzon. Nonhuman characters will exist, although less focus will be put on angsting about how oppressed they are and more jokes about their characteristics and elaborately showing off how these qualities can aid them in battle and in daily life.

Also, I will shit on the concept of "Acceptable Rebellion" by having a conventionally pretty tiefling/catgirl soliloquy about how hard it is to be her, then immediately gossip about a sufficiently ugly/strange nonhuman. If you're going to whinge day and night about how nobody accepts you for who you are, you better damn well know the reason why. Take the flaws, make them grotesque, so much so there's no possible way for even the most rose-tinted tumblrite to spin it into something cute or quirky, and turn them into an overwhelming strength.

Like RWBY, everybody will be badass, but i'm a massive fan of the Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass trope. So completely mundane and even stupid things will be made into extremely valuable allies and deadly enemies.

I also don't like mooks. It's boring to see the same orc get his head cut off for the hundredth time. Enemies will be very, very diverse. No bullshit hollow message about "Be yourself! Everyone you like is unique, everyone you hate is a conformist!" because since childhood, that message has made my blood boil because it reeks of an inability to see from others' perspectives.

The main characters will be a pair of twelve year old delinquents with extremely defined powers derived from being reincarnated from ancient heroes who were once enemies. Every character design will look like an OC on DeviantArt in 2006, and shonen anime influence will be everywhere. The dialogue will involve lots of threats and posturing, yelling phrases in Japanese, and jokes as vulgar and off-color I can get away with.

Because this is aimed at boys, they won't fuck around and gabble about feelings. Every villain will either be misguided, a victim of circumstance, or an utter and complete monster. The former will reform and become allies, while the main characters will actively annihilate the latter in the most spectacular and brutal way possible. I will make the villains hateable by having them being completely immune to karma until the very end.

Every chapter will end with a character sheet, and every book will end with those of the main characters as they become quadratically more powerful with every entry. The art style will be angular and stylized, like 90s anime. The colour palette will be taken directly from windows paint to allow for maximum eye-bleed. The humour will be abrasive as sandpaper down your asscrack. It will make Peepo Choo look like Care Bears.

The story will begin as a very mundane conflict between schoolboys, which will slowly spiral out of control and become more fantastical and larger in scale. First it involves intrigue, spying, and pranks, and then by book 2 it's about delinquent gangs fighting each other, and by book 5 the fate of the universe is in their hands. Also, it will spoof other YA novels and children's books in very mean-spirited ways by means of genre splicing. "Hey... what if Kenshiro was the protagonist of a Roald Dahl book?"

It could be described as a mix between Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Captain Underpants, Ben 10, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rock Hard Gladiators, RWBY, Hyper Police, Big Nate, and Unwind. Everything my inner ten year old likes.

Last edited:

Dirty Mug

Unwashed mass
kiwifarms.net

Threaded:

Archive:

Nick Mamatas
Is that why he chose Benjanun Sriduangkaew / RequiresHate and her shit purple prose for an anthology, eh? No need to be good at writing, just tell everyone to throw acid on some author's face and you're in.

Reactions: Next Task

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What a fragile little creature. Triggers, triggers everywhere!

I'm starting to think this was a better world when families had eight kids, six of them died of cholera before the age of 5, so you just planted them and moved the fuck on.

DungeonMaster

kiwifarms.net
What a fragile little creature. Triggers, triggers everywhere!

I'm starting to think this was a better world when families had eight kids, six of them died of cholera before the age of 5, so you just planted them and moved the fuck on.
Christ almighty! How does this girl even function? She wouldn't last seconds walking past a group of middle school boys or construction workers without suffering a panic attack. She's extremely fussy. Like a spoiled brat who throws a tantrum whenever she has to eat something other than a certain brand of chicken nuggets and fish fingers, only that except with food she wants stories that feature nothing but self-insert of herself. I can't imagine the kind of self importance it takes to throw tantrums at such a rate. The only thing I admire about her is her ability to read that quick.

Aaa0aaa0

Internet Sticker Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net

Threaded:

Archive:

20200527_011549.jpg

If all INSERT CURRENT YEAR authors are like you, then fuck, I just might.

All the tweeter had to do was say "No one wants to read the same two experiences over again, give ethnic and gender diversity a chance (and buy my book)". I'm less likely to buy from them now since they took 30 words to get to the fucking point and did it in a passive aggressive way instead of talking to me like a fellow intelligent person, something that I do not want to experience as an audience member. If they talk down to their audience here, would they not do the same to the people who read their fiction?

DungeonMaster

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1324204
If all INSERT CURRENT YEAR authors are like you, then fuck, I just might.

All the tweeter had to do was say "No one wants to read the same two experiences over again, give ethnic and gender diversity a chance (and buy my book)". I'm less likely to buy from them now since they took 30 words to get to the fucking point and did it in a passive aggressive way instead of talking to me like a fellow intelligent person, something that I do not want to experience as an audience member. If they talk down to their audience here, would they not do the same to the people who read their fiction?
Always with the sanctimonious passive aggressiveness. Even if there was a horde of sub-human goblins, saying shit like this would likely rile them up and make a bigger fool of yourself. Remember: Either side's reputation rarely comes out unscathed from petty conflicts, no matter what their sycophants say. But according to their logic, you can't make a fool of yourself when you're haranguing the other side of the aisle. In the tweeter's case, being extremely smug and making assumptions isn't trying to make a point, or contemplate about why their strawmen think like this, isn't expressing any ideas beyond "fuck you!". And we're supposed to respect that.

Dirty words? Does the tweeter live in the 90s? Swearing is so ubiquitous these days that it's become safe. Once again, the progs pretend to be subversive and edgy when really they've been the cultural status quo since the Obama administration.

Besides, the pulp authors of yore have a more sincere attitude than the tweeter does. When people had a problem with something, they either moved on or pointed it out, politely or not. This is the reason why I frequent PulpRev blgos, where they call shit like this out.

Piga Dgrifm

Nyey Lois
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
She keeps typing but all I can hear is REEEEEE.
Since I've read the book she's talking about, the most mind-boggling part of that review to me is her sperging about "anti-native language." There is no mention of Native people whatsoever, so I really have no idea what even triggered her there.

Anyway, here's another:
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.43.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.43.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.43.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.43.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.43.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.44.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.44.09 AM.png

• Lunacy
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Besides, the pulp authors of yore have a more sincere attitude than the tweeter does. When people had a problem with something, they either moved on or pointed it out, politely or not. This is the reason why I frequent PulpRev blgos, where they call shit like this out.
Screen shot 2020-05-27 at 1.52.39 PM.png

:story: Well now I gotta check out his blog more. Thanks for the rec, DungeonMaster.

whitepumpkin

Verified Autumn White Girl
kiwifarms.net
I gotta say, this is the one off-topic thread that really depresses me when I read it. As funny as it is reading how woke liberal cunts keep trying to outdo each other in writing the EPIC TOLERANCE BOOK where BLACK LESBIAN DEFEATS PATRIARCHY, seeing how boys are just dropped from being represented by anything other than milquetoast yesmen depresses me.

A little more than a year back, I finally cracked open the first Wheel of Time and even though it's not YA, it blew my damn mind how good it was because Rand, Perrin, and Mat really felt like real guys with male emotions. Same with every male lead in The First Law series (especially Glokta). They were so complex and real that you didn't want shit to happen to them because fuck. He's an ass but he still deserves more than he gets, you know?

...But these are adult books. Maybe an earnest kid could get them earlier than his reading level dictates, but until then, what do you have? The Percy Jackson series, which has gone WOKE? Harry Potter, I suppose. A few mentioned books like The Outsiders, but when you get assigned books in school I remember not a lot of guys seemed into them (because it was a chore). Where's the gap to keep boys reading between the ages of 12-18? Unless they go right into that good adult shit, you get to read about what?

The last YA book I flipped through was some bullshit 'girl has powers and there's the good prince whose nice but blond and the mean prince who hates her but he has black hair. And childhood best friend who pines for her' Oooh, Intellectual! None of them read like boys. Men have feminine emotions, wistfully pine for girls, or are fodder for girls to insult because they're male. That's it. Like, I don't see why anyone should praise these YA books when they're written worse than free shit you find online (Webnovels, not shitty fanfic).

Idk. I read this thread but I really feel for the guys out there. It's fun for me to laugh at because cunts be cuntin' on twitter because 'I wrote a lesbian soft kiss! Buy my book and not this RACIST white woman's lesbian book!', but then it sinks in a lot of boys are probably not going to pick up a book again because they have nothing and I just get sad.

Piga Dgrifm

Nyey Lois
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't mind books with "sensitive" male characters, since dudes like that do exist, but you have a point that it's hard to find a male character in YA that isn't of the more sensitive type, unless he is an antagonist or strawman for the woke lead to take down.

The wistful pining is also overdone, and it's one of the reasons I tend to hate most romantic subplots that crop up in YA. (That, and the fact that most romance that happens in YA are of the INSTA-LUV variety, where I have no fucking idea why these two barely developed characters who just met are even friends, much less lovers, but I now have to plod through a dozen pages where they both wax lyrical about how amazing their relationship is while still never giving me an idea of what exactly they even like about each other. I get that teenagers often think that the first person they feel anything for is their soulmate, but more often than not these books just reinforce that as the right way to go...)

And no, most teenage guys don't sit around all day, having overly poetic daydreams about a chick's hair. (And I doubt many teen girls spend all their time doing that about guys.) But, I've seen a lot of the Twatter and GoodReads squad get their panties bunched whenever a book has a teenage boy just thinking a girl is hot, which is more realistic to how teenagers actually think about each other, but it's misogyny to them so it can't be allowed. (I never see the opposite happen where they're angry over a girl character thinking somebody's hot though.)

Last edited:
Tags
None