"Y'all" and "folks" -

Austrian Conscript 1915

I have 99 problems
kiwifarms.net
English doesn't have a plural "you" like other languages; German has sie, Ukrainian has ви and from what I remember about Portuguese they have one too but I forgot it. This is one of the reasons why Kaiser Willy 2 said "you English are like mad bulls; you see red everywhere." Coincidentally Willy 2 uses "you" as the plural when referring to the collective English which is grammatically correct. You can adress a collective as "you"

Meat Target

I'm what you call a professional
kiwifarms.net
English doesn't have a plural "you" like other languages; German has sie, Ukrainian has ви and from what I remember about Portuguese they have one too but I forgot it. This is one of the reasons why Kaiser Willy 2 said "you English are like mad bulls; you see red everywhere." Coincidentally Willy 2 uses "you" as the plural when referring to the collective English which is grammatically correct. You can adress a collective as "you"
And Spanish has "ustedes" or "vosotros".

RatRoyalty

kiwifarms.net
I looked this up within the last year and someone who studies language determined that it was caused by the popularity of Vine and Black Twitter among younger millenials/zoomers. All things considered, at least its not as cringey as the things white kids picked up from rappers on MTV in the 90's.

FreeYourDoodies

Welcome to the Suck
kiwifarms.net
I believe it's because they started pushing the use of the collective "guys" (like "hey guys, listen up" or "how's it going guys?") as sexist language, but they needed something to take it's place because of the ubiquity of that form of address in language. And they probably didn't want to use "you people" since it might sound vaguely like a racist address.

Couple that with how much wokescolding they do, which requires personally addressing a collective group that excludes yourself (which would usually be handled by addresses like "you guys") makes it really stick out and get overused by the group.

UselessIdiot

Time Waits For No Ma'am
kiwifarms.net
French has vous too.

I just say "you guys", since I'm from the Western US and I don't care if feminists/leftists get triggered by it.

English did have a plural you. It's you. English lost the singular thou/thee/thy/thine, and the plural ye over time and so you/your/yours has become the only second person pronoun left.

Austrian Conscript 1915

I have 99 problems
kiwifarms.net
English did have a plural you. It's you. English lost the singular thou/thee/thy/thine, and the plural ye over time and so you/your/yours has become the only second person pronoun left.
There are some things which I wonder how it could've possibly happened. Like this for example, those singular words (thou, thing etc.) are super cool and yet our ancestors got rid of them. Super uncool of them to do btw

Ghost of Wesley Willis

Whooping Batman's Ass in Heaven
kiwifarms.net
I remember seeing a person on tumblr explaining they did it to spite "White Southern Christian bigots".

They're fine with doing that, yet get mad at everyone else but black people using AAVE.

• Informative
Reactions: Pope Julius IV

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Makes them seem more working class than they really are, I suppose.
Which points out the contradiction on their doctrine, feigning indignation for the little guy and pretending to sound like one, but they're anything but.

Kenya Jones

Hard-R Gamer
kiwifarms.net
As someone who has to have a lot of contect with white trannies the people here saying its about pronouns are goddamn right. I've seen so many people from Portland and Seattle say it because it's 100% a substitute for "you guys". That said, not only the south uses "yall" and "folks", you'll find that stuff all over the country that had that way of speaking before the internet.

Spedestrian

Shitposting in Ring Zero
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's not a "people on Twitter" thing, it's a general woketard SJW snowflake thing. They've culturally appropriated "y'all" because saying "you guys" triggers trannies, which is pretty funny considering actual women never seemed to have a problem with it:
Some faggot said:
Many, however, find it uncomfortable to say you guys when referring to non-binary, intersex or trans people, since their gender identities are constantly being scrutinized and rejected — in other words, many of them are often told they really are guys.

As for "folks" it's apparently because "people" implies some level of unified identity or experience (e.g. "the American people"). Since everyone needs to be acknowledged for their unique position in the Intersectional Oppression Olympics the term "folks" is now preferred:
Some other faggot said:
They would be accused, perhaps, of glossing over key issues of “positionality” and “allyship” by referring not to “folks,” as most contemporary activists would, but to “the people,” as if it were unitary and shared a common set of experiences.

Personally "y'all" is one of my favorite words and I'm pissed that I can't use it without coming off like a tranny apologist now. Cutting off your cock is one thing, but ruining my vernacular? Now that's disgusting.

There are some things which I wonder how it could've possibly happened. Like this for example, those singular words (thou, thing etc.) are super cool and yet our ancestors got rid of them. Super uncool of them to do btw
I looked into it a little bit and the common story as to why it fell out of favor is interesting. Thee/thou was already falling out of favor by the 17th century. The last nail in the coffin came when you became "formal", really reserved for those of higher standing like in "your Majesty", and Thou became "informal", meaning to refer to those of lower status. Rather than risk insulting someone by calling them "thou", everyone started to call each other "you". Except for the Quakers founder George Fox, who believed so much in being perfectly grammatically correct that he wrote a 200 page tome about the usage of thee and thou over you. His point being that thou ought to use "thou" in singular instances, and "you" in plural instances, and in fact referring to each other in the singular instance as "you" was prideful, sinful behavior. He had a lot of trouble from outsiders who would get violent over being referred to as "thou".

TL;DR Elitist Britbongs ruin everything trying to be overly polite, once again.

Tags
None