'You should be able to buy games where you want to buy them' says Microsoft exec -

Is Microsoft getting better?

• Maybe???

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • No, it's part of a scheme and they have something up their sleeve.

Votes: 55 58.5%

• Total voters

Doc Cassidy

Notorious Bum Driller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft has been haphazardly trying to court PC gamers for a while now, but this year's E3 seemed like more of a sincere effort. Old PC franchises are being resurrected, we've got old and new Halos on the way, and there's a new app to replace the terrible Microsoft Store. Head of gaming Phil Spencer says Microsoft's not trying to replace other stores, however, and the publisher's approach will be an open one.

"I didn't want people to think this was our attempt to go and push all the other stores out of the way," says Spencer. "In fact, if you want to buy games from us, we want to give you a choice where you buy those games. So the announcement of Halo: Master Chief Collection coming to both Steam and our store was us saying you should be able to buy the games where you want to buy them. We want to make sure the communities are all connected, so we obviously had to work with Valve ensuring that, regardless of where you bought the game, you'd be one community playing together."

With the current wave of hostility directed towards store exclusives and Epic in particular, it's easy to score points by presenting yourself as open and 'for gamers', but Spencer says they're different strategies and he believes Tim Sweeny and Epic are "working from what they believe is what's best for both them, their creators and their players". Microsoft may release games on the Epic Games Store and other places in the future, too, though right now Steam's the focus.

With Steam being the largest of the stores, it makes sense to start there. Spencer says that Valve's also been supportive when it comes to making sure everyone still gets to play together, and he got advice from friends at Valve when it came to bringing the Xbox Game Pass at PC. This doesn't mean more stores are out of the question, and there's no reason why we wouldn't see them appear on GOG or the Epic Games Store somewhere down the line.

As for what's going to appear on Steam, it sounds like it will be most games, at least going forward. "My expectation is that our games will be available on Steam," says Spencer. "You can never say 'always ever', because then something will happen with rights in certain situations where something might not happen, but we have a really good relationship with the team over there. We go over and talk to them about a lot about the plans we have—it's a good, healthy conversation. So there's nothing in our plans that would say there's a reason we wouldn't continue to ship our games on Steam."

Microsoft's also looking into bringing existing games over, and Sea of Thieves was one of the most requested games on Steam, after Halo. It's a matter of finding time to do the work required to get it ready for Steam. Microsoft's not ready to make announcements about it yet.

Link

It almost feels like Microsoft has actually been trying to compete lately rather than their usual strategy of trying to dominate the market by being the default. Is Microsoft getting better??

Classist.

*faint staby sounds*
kiwifarms.net
Well it's hard to go further downhill after the debacle that was the Xbox 1 launch.

Seriously though, working with steam seems like it's actually a really smart move, especially with other companies trying to compete with the platform. Steam is far from perfect but it's annoying when companies boycott it just to release it on their own shitty service that won't exist in a year anyway.

Raiken

Making Nanomachines great again
kiwifarms.net
Adding to that, they also are pushing cross play(and are doing it with Nintendo the most of all platforms), put cuphead on the Switch and put Banjo and Kazooie in smash.
If it was not for the tease of a new console next year I would start to think they are backing off.

• Optimistic
Reactions: The Last Stand
U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
They did just axe the backwards compatibility program for Xbone, and making fun of Epic is like the easiest way to virtue signal to gamers right now
“Fuck epic”/“fuck loot boxes”/“fuck mtxs”/“fuck gaas” are basically the r/gaming equivalents of “orange man bad” or “fuck nazis” at this point, in that people just agree with these sentiments because they feel obligated to, not because they genuinely believe in them

Edit: I’m not saying these things are good, I’m saying mob mentality isn’t either

Double edit: of course i fucking hate lootboxes and epic, because i’m a stubborn offline-loving hermit, not because YongYea told me to

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyCowboy

Head-Honcho at Ram Ranch
kiwifarms.net
I think that being as big of a company as they are, it only makes sense for them to do this. If you want to play a Microsoft-exclusive game but only have a switch or exclusively use steam and don't feel like buying an Xbox, they are essentially losing a sale. Having a more widespread presence over more platforms is a smart move in my opinion, because it can make the company a lot more revenue without having to stoop to EA levels of shiftiness, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, in my personal opinion.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
They did just axe the backwards compatibility program for Xbone, and making fun of Epic is like the easiest way to virtue signal to gamers right now
We won't know where they fall on BC until they release more specs on the new console. It's possible (but not probable) they will approach BC with hardware on a hardware level with the new console - meaning they shouldn't be working title to title on the xbox 1 any longer.

Or they just said "fuck it".

Eryngium

Fix animated profile pics @Null you gutless mothe
kiwifarms.net
I do feel like Microsoft is honestly trying to change but they have nothing to do it with, the only thing I was interested in at e3 was cyberpunk and mildly interested in ori and the blind forest, and I don't wan't to get my hopes up for borderlands 3 with a chance of it being a shit-show.
The gears of war trailer was a fucking joke, and the halo trailer was the biggest letdown of the whole e3 "show daddy how big you are".

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It almost feels like Microsoft has actually been trying to compete lately rather than their usual strategy of trying to dominate the market by being the default. Is Microsoft getting better??
Honestly, I think Epic royally pissed off MS when they made Outer Worlds an exclusive for a year. Like, they just acquire Obsidian and their first release is a big game on this platform nobody likes and confined to their own store, which they also know nobody likes. Which basically shits all over the brand they just bought, devaluing it since people are going to be wary, even though its highly unlikely other games will be Epic exclusives. While Take 2 is ultimately responsible, I feel like that they think Epic fucked them, because they spent all this money on this studio and now their game is chained up for a year along with horrible PR they're going to have to work to build back up.

I think that's why MS is doing this, because of the Outer Worlds/Obsidian fiasco. They spent all this money and then Epic basically takes a steaming shit on the brand they paid millions for. I don't think its Microsoft getting better, I think its MS spite-fucking Epic. Obviously, Steam and GoG are the bigger and more favored platforms with GoG basically being the underdog everyone loves. Nobody loves Epic. So its a win-win for Microsoft. They get to reverse some of the Obsidian PR and restore value to the brand, get free good-boy points and give the finger to Epic at the same time. That and they'll make fucktons more money on GoG and Steam than they will on Epic or their own store.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I think Epic royally pissed off MS when they made Outer Worlds an exclusive for a year. Like, they just acquire Obsidian and their first release is a big game on this platform nobody likes and confined to their own store, which they also know nobody likes. Which basically shits all over the brand they just bought, devaluing it since people are going to be wary, even though its highly unlikely other games will be Epic exclusives. While Take 2 is ultimately responsible, I feel like that they think Epic fucked them, because they spent all this money on this studio and now their game is chained up for a year along with horrible PR they're going to have to work to build back up.

I think that's why MS is doing this, because of the Outer Worlds/Obsidian fiasco. They spent all this money and then Epic basically takes a steaming shit on the brand they paid millions for. I don't think its Microsoft getting better, I think its MS spite-fucking Epic. Obviously, Steam and GoG are the bigger and more favored platforms with GoG basically being the underdog everyone loves. Nobody loves Epic. So its a win-win for Microsoft. They get to reverse some of the Obsidian PR and restore value to the brand, get free good-boy points and give the finger to Epic at the same time. That and they'll make fucktons more money on GoG and Steam than they will on Epic or their own store.
I agree to a degree - I think Microsoft would have done this regardless. Microsoft has had a hard enough time competing with Sony, Nintendo, and Steam in the video game market space. There's no way they're even partially excited at the thought of Epic (through EGS) or Google (via Stadia) forcing their way in and taking over, or even one of them making a sizable dent in that space. Microsoft has spent too much time and money to cede this market to anyone else.

Microsoft was also "on top of the world" with Xbox 360 and what really sank them hard was how little of a shit they put into the Xbox 1; a mistake they (hopefully) learned a lesson from.

• Optimistic
Reactions: The Last Stand

Clop

kiwifarms.net
That's a fucking laugh, Microsoft's the one making sure that Windows 10 gets exclusive titles and that Windows 7's plug is pulled so that people are forced to use a shitty fucking OS that doesn't work with everything you own. It's not Microsoft that's fixing the shit broken by Windows 10, it's the users who don't want their games and software to die.

Bitch do you even fucking remember doing a forced update on people just a few years ago? Eat my ass.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
kiwifarms.net
MS has been "courting PC gamers" (who even earnestly uses the word "gamer" anymore?) with empty promises and hollow gestures since at least Games For Windows Live and Vista, and that's my cut-off not because they were somehow magically good before then, but because it's gone on so long I can't even remember when it started anymore. It's been so long I can't remember when MS started pulling this shit. And to put that in context, this is when Counter-Strike: SOURCE was games' new hotness.

Mark my words, if MS actually does anything with this and it's not just another hollow promise, it's a numbers driven response to changes in focus group testing results on brand engagement that will last only until the junior VP in charge of the initiative's fiefdom is taken over by a senior VP that will completely reverse course to leave his mark. That's the only good faith explanation I think of for the constant course reversals and seeming duplicity.

So no, Microsoft is not getting better and will almost certainly never get better. It's the epitome of the schizophrenic, monolithic corporation where the left hand knows not what the right hand is doing, and it's so large and so old at this point that it operates pretty much entirely on inertia. There gets to be a point where huge corporations are simply too entrenched to change, and MS passed that point long ago.

E: My money is that the change is driven by the slow decline of consoles, but especially the Xbone. Remember when PC games were dead?

• Winner
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Calooby

I WILL GOBBLE GOBBLE YOU'RE ASSHOLE OFF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Until I can run Halo on my PlaySkool Laptop I got for Christmas from my parents I AM NOT INTERESTED!

• Agree
Reactions: Black Waltz

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Microsoft buried the EEE mentality and hardcore monopolistic attitude a long time ago. They've been willing to work with other tech companies (not just vidya related) for a while, even supporting open source projects. If there's an ulterior motive, they're playing the long looooooong con.

Of course they will make their software open source. After all Microsoft products are so widespread that they dont have to be a monopoly anymore.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
I think Epic Store is bad because Jim Sterling and his communist buttbuddies told me so, not because I actually took the time to learn about how shit they are myself

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino