Young people don't eat fish. - Why?

I have had countless conversations with young folk in which I learned that they didn't eat fish, or at least avoided it.

I also worked briefly at a fast-food fish restaurant and the boss told me once that young people don't eat fish. Since then, I have noticed that even moreso than other restaurants, it's all elderly in there.

What's wrong with them? Why do young people not eat fish? Of course the kids these days are spoiled, where mommy makes them a separate dinner if they don't want what the family's having, so you get kids who grew up on nothing but chicken tendies (gimme gimme) and then they eat nothing but that as adults. But why would they not want fish as youths?

In my case, I don't eat a ton of fish, but compared to other people my age I do. At home I was accustomed to eating batter-dipped deep fried fish, salmon patties, and pan-fried tilapia, served with sides like:

For fried fish:
- French fries
- Hush puppies
- Fried shrimp
- Mac'n'cheese

For salmon patties:
- Butter noodles
- Beets

For tilapia:
- Rice
- Broccoli
- Almonds

Fish isn't better, as such, than chicken or beef, but I can't imagine somebody just NOT EATING beef or chicken either, aside from vegetarian fags.

I eat almost nothing but fast food and most fast food places don't have any fish. mcdonalds only has the filet o' fish which is overpriced for its size and doesn't taste as good as most of their burgers and chicken sandwiches/tendies. if fast food places had more good fish options I would eat more fish.
Okay, this is a good reason. Admittedly, I eat almost nothing but fast food when on my own, though I get fish when visiting home frequently. I also eat at Captain D's every week. I try Long John Silvers, but its garbage, at least where I live. On occasions I cook my own tilapia in the same manner my Mom did. It's not difficult to make a tilapia meal. It's easy for me to deep fry a batch of shrimp, bake a potato, and make one or two other things for side dishes to go with it. You just coat tilapia in flour and fry it with vegetable oil in a pan.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net
I eat almost nothing but fast food and most fast food places don't have any fish. mcdonalds only has the filet o' fish which is overpriced for its size and doesn't taste as good as most of their burgers and chicken sandwiches/tendies. if fast food places had more good fish options I would eat more fish.
Agreed. Most of the fish food items I've eaten over the years has been fish sandwiches and fish sticks. They're tasty but haven't made me interested in trying other fish and aquatic type food. But I have tried salmon with mac and cheese as the side dish and it's delicious!

The Shadow

Movies gave me scabies
kiwifarms.net
Most haven't had appetizing fish. A lot have parents that, if they prepare food at all, don't know how to buy fish or prepare it in an appetizing way and most are happy to stick to their burgers or tendies. My parents only knew to fry fish until I had some grilled trout that I really enjoyed and started learning otherwise. At least with my parents' generation, a lot were like "by the time we have kids, don't we know everything we're ever gonna need to know?"

Fish also tends to be a bit more expensive than say, chicken or ground beef (although is comparable to most cuts of beef). Fish has the advantage, too, that it's low calorie and high protein.

I eat a grilled fish fillet at least once a week (what type of fish depends on what the local market has fresh) and enjoy other seafood types like crawfish etoufee, unagi, etc.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fish is not as easy to prepare as other foods. It's pretty much that simple. The "easy fish", Tuna and Salmon are expensive as all fuck. Give a child a half pound rasher of smoked wild salmon and they will eat that shit fast. But it will also cost you nearly 9 bucks at 17.99 a pound. Much better to just give them a burger at 3.99 a pound.

And that burger is better for them then some deep fried fish. So kids don't get the exposure....

Aww fuck it. Here is how you get your kids to eat fish. Actual fish.

Step 1. Dont do tilapia. Its vile, it tastes vile, you know it tastes vile and your kids know it does too.

Step 2. Do you see those whole fish sitting on the ice at the supermarket? Have you ever asked yourself "who buys that?" The answer is people who actually want to eat decent fish for dinner. Buy it. You can probably get 3 pounds for about 15 bucks depending on species. Be a basic bitch and buy whatever version of Trout they have or farm raised red fish.

Step 3. You are not a chef. Ask them to clean it and filet it at the counter. They actually do this you know. If you are a boss well, read up on how to clean and prepare a fish yourself.

Step 4. Bake the sucker at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in butter and lemon juice, or pan fry in your favored seasonings. Carefully remove any extraneous bones. Its done when it's done. Use your eyes. You know what cooked fish looks like. Serve with a side of rice or mashed potatoes. Your kids will love it. Especially if you give them a "fun" sauce to dip it in.

Fish is not as easy to prepare as other foods. It's pretty much that simple. The "easy fish", Tuna and Salmon are expensive as all fuck. Give a child a half pound rasher of smoked wild salmon and they will eat that shit fast. But it will also cost you nearly 9 bucks at 17.99 a pound. Much better to just give them a burger at 3.99 a pound.

And that burger is better for them then some deep fried fish. So kids don't get the exposure....

Aww fuck it. Here is how you get your kids to eat fish. Actual fish.

Step 1. Dont do tilapia. Its vile, it tastes vile, you know it tastes vile and your kids know it does too.

Step 2. Do you see those whole fish sitting on the ice at the supermarket? Have you ever asked yourself "who buys that?" The answer is people who actually want to eat decent fish for dinner. Buy it. You can probably get 3 pounds for about 15 bucks depending on species. Be a basic bitch and buy whatever version of Trout they have or farm raised red fish.

Step 3. You are not a chef. Ask them to clean it and filet it at the counter. They actually do this you know. If you are a boss well, read up on how to clean and prepare a fish yourself.

Step 4. Bake the sucker at 350 degrees for 20 minutes in butter and lemon juice, or pan fry in your favored seasonings. Carefully remove any extraneous bones. Its done when it's done. Use your eyes. You know what cooked fish looks like. Serve with a side of rice or mashed potatoes. Your kids will love it. Especially if you give them a "fun" sauce to dip it in.
I will have you know that I genuinely enjoy tilapia and rice dishes.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
some theories:

They don't want mercury poisoning from freshwater fish.

They don't have enough experience in preparing fish

They don't know how to eat fish that has not been fileted and de-boned (pro tip, it's easier with chopsticks than with a fork)

some theories:

They don't want mercury poisoning from freshwater fish.

They don't have enough experience in preparing fish

They don't know how to eat fish that has not been fileted and de-boned (pro tip, it's easier with chopsticks than with a fork)
I don't know about in general, but some fish preparations make the bones so soft that they can easily be eaten. Salmon patties result in bones that are extremely soft. When you run into one, you just chew it up, and its like having a mint, except the flavor is not at all sweet.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Orange Rhymer

Pinot Pierrot

The naive one, forever waiting.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>fried fish
>salmon patties
>tilapia

You've been missing out on a lot as a kid.

I think the youth aversion to fish is more of an inland issue than a coastal one, obviously; I've only known one non-vegetarian girl in my state who didn't like to eat fish, and everyone considered her a couple marbles short of a full set.

Outside of that, fish by itself is mostly bland with a few exceptions, so I suspect lot of people don't know it's more about the texture than anything else. Trouble is, you can only get the best quality texture by having it fresh out of the water, and preparing fresh fish is a multi-step process that too many can't be arsed to deal with. Even if you aren't doing the gutting yourself, you've got to walk up to a fish market, tell the shopkeeper exactly what you want, sometimes have to watch the guy take the flat end of a butcher knife to the fish's skull to knock it out cold, then you have to bring it home and cook it as soon as possible. etc. etc. Not to mention that accidentally swallowing a fish bone is a bitch to deal with.

So folks who aren't willing to involve themselves with that buy the packaged stuff, except not only has the meat broken down into something mealy and barely edible because it's obviously been around for a couple days (at least), but that oh-so distinctive fishy odor has begun to set in. You don't get that with fresh fish. That odor is a sign of decay. Kids don't realize that they are being fed stuff that would've been thrown into the trash.

If you're willing to explore beyond your current palette for fish, I suggest trying mackerel. It has an inherently stringent texture that takes longer to turn mushy and is also naturally salty, so right from the get-go it tastes far more interesting than even chicken meat. Sprinkle some salt, bake it in the oven, and add lemon juice when you're done. Just make sure the guts are properly cleaned out, because that stuff is quite bitter and off-putting to those who aren't used to it.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>fried fish
>salmon patties
>tilapia

You've been missing out on a lot as a kid.

I think the youth aversion to fish is more of an inland issue than a coastal one, obviously; I've only known one non-vegetarian girl in my state who didn't like to eat fish, and everyone considered her a couple marbles short of a full set.

Outside of that, fish by itself is mostly bland with a few exceptions, so I suspect lot of people don't know it's more about the texture than anything else. Trouble is, you can only get the best quality texture by having it fresh out of the water, and preparing fresh fish is a multi-step process that too many can't be arsed to deal with. Even if you aren't doing the gutting yourself, you've got to walk up to a fish market, tell the shopkeeper exactly what you want, sometimes have to watch the guy take the flat end of a butcher knife to the fish's skull to knock it out cold, then you have to bring it home and cook it as soon as possible. etc. etc. Not to mention that accidentally swallowing a fish bone is a bitch to deal with.

So folks who aren't willing to involve themselves with that buy the packaged stuff, except not only has the meat broken down into something mealy and barely edible because it's obviously been around for a couple days (at least), but that oh-so distinctive fishy odor has begun to set in. You don't get that with fresh fish. That odor is a sign of decay.

If you're willing to explore beyond your current palette for fish, I suggest trying mackerel. It has an inherently stringent texture that takes longer to turn mushy and is also naturally salty, so right from the get-go it tastes far more interesting than even chicken meat. Sprinkle some salt, bake it in the oven, and add lemon juice when you're done. Just make sure the guts are properly cleaned out, because that stuff is quite bitter and off-putting to those who aren't used to it.
Canned sardines/anchovies are another group of goodies in the same vein. Get some Ritz crackers, some pimento cheese and a can of either type and you have yourself a snack/lunch of a true patrician. You can also be a plebe and used yellow brick cheddar instead of pimento.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Actually fish should be a young person's food, because when you get older, I understand you lose a lot of the sensitivity in your mouth and it gets harder to pick bones out of the fish meat as you are chewing.

My sensitivity is pretty good, so I try to eat as much bony fish as I can while it lasts. And whenever my grandparents or older relatives invite me to a meal, I will often eat the fish head because you need pretty good sensitivity to pick apart all the bony plates and spikes in the head, and apart from the fish cheeks and the eyes, the bony parts and the meat in the head are hard to separate

Tags
None