Young people don't eat fish. - Why?

I just don't see the point. I cook most of my meals and know how to cook pretty well.

I mean, if there was only fish left at the butcher counter I might get it? Not sure how to cook it though. I'd probably make a quick curry with no meat rather than throw fish in it and wonder wtf is going to happen with it.

Its not bad or anything, just why bother when chicken, beef, pork are a thing?

emo goff

its too damn sunny for darkmode
kiwifarms.net
I wish I could eat more fish but it's expensive to get the good stuff that isn't full of mercury or whatever shit the news is going on about these days.
And the media is always bitching about us eating the cod to extinction or something so that's hard to find too.

Salad_Dodger

Was molested by Repzion's dead gramps.
kiwifarms.net
Trump's Chosen media demonizing stuff like sardines and anchovies. The one of Trump's Chosen People fears the deenz - lots of protein for growing White bodies.

edit: damn wordfilters getting in the way of my ARTISINALLY CRAFTING SHITPOSTING

seriously tho eat sardines, delicious
Sardines are delicious and good food. Get them in yer belly. 'Chovies are so good too. Caesar Salad is basic bitch without anchovies. At least get them on the side and give them a try.

Yeah, people are terrified of mercury riddled fish and would rather take a fish oil tablet.

Reactions: twi1992 and Nakie

BATHMETHAMPHETAMINE

ポニー
kiwifarms.net
I get somehow if people on south (=USA) don't eat it, dunno if it is even necessary part of diet there, but here at ass of Siberia where sun doesn't shine much during winter people need their vitamin D. Eat your fish or say bye bye for your strong bones. It is kind of necessary food in some form and grandma pretty much breaks in every month to ask if I have eaten enough fish (or too much fast food).

But honestly I kind of get it. It's often costly compared to some piece of pork or wings and complicated to prepare (unless you got some nice piece without bones or shit, I have got used to my fish eating experience being spitting bones and other stuff out every other piece) or even if it isn't, you need to think what to eat with it. To this day I'm not sure what sauce to use with fish, when the answer would be easy with pork, chicken or potatoes. Imho fish is complicated dish. It isn't as fitting for easy meal than other meat. And cost doesn't help.

Reactions: Syikeblade
The tiny bones, the smell that can linger for days in the entire kitchen or residence. You know if someone had fish for dinner say if they left their jacket on the chair by the kitchen table. My grandparents use to cook it up with no spice or seasoning from that you get that strong fish smell and taste.

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
The tiny bones, the smell that can linger for days in the entire kitchen or residence. You know if someone had fish for dinner say if they left their jacket on the chair by the kitchen table. My grandparents use to cook it up with no spice or seasoning from that you get that strong fish smell and taste.
It's just a weird thing to have. Growing up we weren't allowed to have fish because my mom was convinced that the mercury in the ocean was at dangerous levels. Still to this day I think the oceans are filthy sludge pits sometimes. Then again the whole world is polluted so...

I very rarely eat fish. It is just not that appealing to me. I buy envelopes of tuna and put it in things because it's cheap. That's it.

Reactions: Syikeblade

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be fair about smells if you burger it up your place can end up smelling like burger grease pretty easy too, I think maybe it's a matter of preference? Maybe it's something with it blending in with normal hyuumon mammal stank better?

It's just a weird thing to have. Growing up we weren't allowed to have fish because my mom was convinced that the mercury in the ocean was at dangerous levels. Still to this day I think the oceans are filthy sludge pits sometimes. Then again the whole world is polluted so...

I very rarely eat fish. It is just not that appealing to me. I buy envelopes of tuna and put it in things because it's cheap. That's it.
I remember having Fish'n Chips with tarter sauce at a non chain restaurant last year I was raving about how good it was. The taste from the fish and the tarter sauce weren't off putting compare to other times when I would get it from Red Lobster or Nathan's.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
Sardines are delicious and good food. Get them in yer belly. 'Chovies are so good too. Caesar Salad is basic bitch without anchovies. At least get them on the side and give them a try.

Yeah, people are terrified of mercury riddled fish and would rather take a fish oil tablet.
agree.
ProTip: Small fish do not bioaccumulate mercury and other toxins.
Small fish are fine to eat every day. It's the large fish you need to watch intake (tuna, wild salmon, etc...)
Fish are a great source of protein and Omega-3s. I never had an issue eating fish, I find it weird that Zoomers dislike it.
Even vegetarians eat fish sometimes...

KelpieSelkie

murder horse, shifty seal
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck? I love fish. Salmon, tuna, tilapia, perch, fried catfish (a restaurant near me makes fried catfish nuggets that are godly), black bass...grill that shit up, fry it, season it, and give it to me!

I can understand not liking the smell all over the place, especially those rude people who heat it up in the microwave at the office. But if you've never had freshly caught grilled fish before, in my opinion you're missing out.

Orange Rhymer

kiwifarms.net
What the fuck? I love fish. Salmon, tuna, tilapia, perch, fried catfish (a restaurant near me makes fried catfish nuggets that are godly), black bass...grill that shit up, fry it, season it, and give it to me!

I can understand not liking the smell all over the place, especially those rude people who heat it up in the microwave at the office. But if you've never had freshly caught grilled fish before, in my opinion you're missing out.
Fuck people that pollute office space or public air.
Effervescent food does not belong in an office or on a train. I understand that.
Cold tuna is fine. I've smelled coochies in an office that are worse.

Also, fuck microwave popcorn in the office. People who make that (or burn it) should be hanged.

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
I like fish but most of the fish available in the supermarkets are usually the pricey ones like salmon. I try not to eat catfish or tilapia because they're generally not raised very well since they're bottom feeders. I do lie canned tuna and sardines and if I just got paid, I'll splurge on some swordfish.

Unassuming Local Guy

Friendly and affectionate
kiwifarms.net
If you fuck up beef or chicken or pork you end up with meat that's still pretty good, just not great. If you fuck up fish you often end up with something that tastes the way low tide smells. The farther you live from where the fish was caught, the more likely it is to happen.

It's a lack of knowledge. People don't realize how important it is to freeze or cook your fish immediately, never refreeze it, never let it sit on the counter, etc. And always, always put something on it to neutralize the fishy taste. Lemon juice is far and away the easiest.

It's also way more expensive depending on where you live. Good luck trying to find salmon for a reasonable price in Arizona.

Reactions: XYZpdq

unsure on how to proceed

Fake and gay
kiwifarms.net
It's a really specific experience, and I'm not even American so no idea of what your average fish diet looks like there. Just thought it was funny as my whole family loves seafood with a burning passion.

My grandpa sells fish. As such, my family has a ton of knowledge about fish and how to cook it. My mum loves swordfish (even though it's not recommended to eat it) and my grandpa regularly brings us pomfret (I think that's the English name anyway). The thing is though, I hate seafood.

I can stand the pomfret because it's almost always small and as such doesn't eat much shit and it's easy to clean as it doesn't have many bones; it kinda tastes like chicken and you're feeling fancy you cut it up, give it a couple drops of lemon juice and pop it in the oven.

But anything else? Nope. And I think it's because of my experiences with school cafeterias.

You see, my country is like 99% seaside, and they need to put all that fish that doesn't get exported somewhere. That where is the sad little plates of a bunch of picky kids. Some fishing companies give free fish and shit for the free-food-scholarship that the government gives, get a tax cut, all good.

But, you know, usually the cooks from these cafeterias don't really care about higiene and proper food handling, sometimes they barely can muster the will to cook it properly. They just do the bare minimum, the things that keeps them from losing their jobs. They don't get paid enough to deal with a thousand kids three times a day for a week so if you can get them out of the picture for a few days with food poisoning it's a win-win situation for everyone.

So there was this dish they did. "Arroz a la valenciana". Rice with a few little mussels, no big deal, right? Wrong. Along with a bunch of shells (how tf did they not see them???) I once almost swallowed a fucking ring. But it's not just that, every sea related food, every one of these things was just botched. From the arroz a la valenciana to the mystery salsa with some kind of fish in it that tasted like vomit. Coupled with the fact that you couldn't leave for class until you ate it all, eating any kind of seafood there was a highly traumatic experience that tasted like shit and made you feel like shit.

Pitere pit

Has man gone insane?
kiwifarms.net
It depends on where you live. In my country we have a lot of fresh and canned fish. However, there was more diversity of these before. Some young people aren't eating fish that much because some species are becoming extinct so they cost more, that's what I think when I see sardines 7 europoors a kilo when in my childhood, ten years ago, cost at most 3 euros.

Tags
None