Your Favorite Philosopher -

AtrocityVoyeur

Menschliches, Allzumenschliches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jonathan Haidt (debatable as to whether it's philosophy, but I consider moral foundations theory to be truly a game-changer
Agreed. It's a massive game-changer. What keeps Haidt out of the spotlight is his modesty... the revolutionary nature of his approach to emotions and morality, even the way people explain things to one another, could potentially put him in Jordan Peterson territory of influence but he lacks the ego to present himself that way. Having said that he gets very deep in his books and I am sure there are people who are moved to reconsider their basic premises by reading him. But he isn't going to pick up a cult of Messiah worshippers.

Peace and Harmony

1 like = 1 kibble
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jon Haidt is ma boi. He's also pretty busy running Heterodox Academy and trying to re-institutionalise free speech and general sanity back to the American college campus instead of just bitching about it.

RichardMongler

kiwifarms.net
Of the Greeks, I gotta say Heraclitus and Plato's work resonated with me the most. Even as a philosophy major, I shamefully admit I haven't studied enough the Hellenistics to have a formal opinion on them.

For English philosophers, Thomas Hobbes and John Locke are both neck and neck.

Of the Continentals, Arthur Schopenhauer and Friedrich Nietzsche were my two favorites.

The only Anarchists whose written work I enjoyed are Max Stirner, Albert Camus and Theodore Kaczynski.

Other odd favorites, including writers: Edmund Burke, Robert Nozick, Louis-Ferdinand Céline, Oswald Spengler, Ernst Jünger, Gustave Le Bon, H.L. Mencken, Jim Goad

DrunkJoe

kiwifarms.net
Does Kayne count now? He kind of killed the internent last 2 weeks or so with his words of wisdom.

I will go with nietzsche though.

Soew

"Hate Crimes in Cyberspace"
kiwifarms.net
strongly recommend Peter Sloterdijk to any of the other Nietzsche fans in this thread. he's the philosopher i've been enjoying the most recently and reading a contemporary philosopher is always a nice change of pace.

Jon-Kacho

zyunn kyunn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have Michael Knowles's completely blank book Reasons to Vote for Democrats: A Comprehensive Guide on my shelf directly next to Aristotle, Mill, and Kant, and it's certainly my favorite.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
I would say calling Frederic Bastiat a "philosopher" is an insult to Mr. Bastiat, but he certainly had philosophies, so it might count. I think Jon Haidt is criminally underappreciated as one of the few people I've seen who understands that shit is fucked in certain ways right now and really needs to be unfucked.

I can find myself agreeing with things Nietzsche said, and Schopenhauer said things I nominally agree with. I must admit I don't really give the field a whole lot of thought.

Apoth42

Hehe xd
kiwifarms.net
Bit of a newbie when it comes to actual hard philosophy so I'll use a very loose definition.

Sun Tzu - His book is basic but it has lessons that are important. The Art of War is common sense. Only fight battles after you've rigged everything to your advantage and make sure you're fighting an unavoidable battle that will actually contribute to a strategic victory. Even today we're going to war without thinking and not winning.

Confucious - Its odd how Asian civilizations took his lessons and did the exact opposite in his name... Flexibility? Nah. Meritocracy? What?

Christopher Hitchens - I disagreed with him alot but he actively pursued the truth and was smart as a whip.

Locke - The writer that defined the 18th and 19th centuries.

General Patton

Dick Masterson
Unironically this.

Last edited:
  • DRINK!
Reactions: Shaftie
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino