Your favorite very specific types of game

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We all have favorite genres (racing, shooter, RPG, strategy etc) and we all have favorite developers and publishers, we may even have favorite eras for games, but what's some really specific and esoteric type of game you love the most?

For me I really love Japanese horror and oddball games of the PS1 and PS2 era, for horror you've got Silent Hill, Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Fatal Frame etc and for oddball games you've got games like Stretch Panic, Skygunner, Mr Mosquito, Incredible Crisis and most famously, Katamari Damacy.

While Japanese horror lives on with the current Resident Evils and you get the occasional weird Japanese game (like Deadly Premonition which is both oddball and horror) the PS2 era was the peak of that sort of thing, you don't really see games like Mr Mosquito anymore nor do you see anything like Katamari despite Katamari being a cross over hit, which is too bad.

And in the western world I was a really big fan of Valve, Valve published or Valve adjacent games, your Half-Lifes, your Team Fortress 2, your Left 4 Deads, your Portals, all fantastic stuff and you have Arkane studios, which I would consider to be Valve adjacent, as while their official collaborations all got canceled (I've been really fascinated by The Crossing) their games like Dishonored and Prey are kind of in the spirit (as well as their Might and Magic game although I haven't played that one yet)

Dishonored and Prey are also in the spirit of another type of western game I love and that's games that are part of the lineage of System Shock, namely System Shock 1 and 2, the Thief Series, the Deus Ex series and the Bioshock series.

Unfortunately the Shock like games petered out after Bioshock Infinite or Deus Es Mankind Divided depending on how you look at it and I haven't played a Valve game since Portal 2 over a decade ago now, I did enjoy Arkane's 2017 Prey, but it also had some mild Wokeness, I miss these type of games before all that shit, I also just really fucking miss when Valve made games that were easily assessable.

And finally to go back to Japan, I really miss when Capcom developed games with highly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds, the early Resident Evils, REmake and RE0, Dino Crisis 2 and Onimusha 1 and 2, there's just something about that style that is really appealing to me, the last game that made like that wasn't even published in the US, the highly obscure Glass Rose from 2003, which I wish I could play.

Those are my examples, what are yours?

Blue Screen of Death

A fatal exception has occurred
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dishonored and Prey are also in the spirit of another type of western game I love and that's games that are part of the lineage of System Shock, namely System Shock 1 and 2, the Thief Series, the Deus Ex series and the Bioshock series.
Way to fucking beat me to my answer, unfair advantage.

The "big" Immersive Sim titles are just some of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. Full stop.
No game that preaches "player choice/freedom" has come close to the actual player freedom I felt playing through Deus Ex.

Honorable mention to early-game System Shock 2 where there's almost a survival aspect to it before you're able to easily wreck enemies.

Edgeworth

That was... Objectionable
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy murder mystery puzzle games and/or detective shit.

Yeah yeah, my icon and name are literally that one FBI idiot from Heavy Rain but his segments were fun. That's extended to Connor from Detroit. The Sherlock Holmes games by Frogwares suck but I have so much fun with them no matter how obtuse the logic gets. It's argued that they're just visual novels but I love the Ace Attorney games. That fuckin' Murdered: Soul Suspect game was shite but I got to play ghost detective and solve crimes... sorta. So I was in. LA Noire is my JAM.

Yes, even Twin Mirror, one of the not-Life is Strange games by Dontnod was played by me. I love detective shit. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm just retarded enough to find unironic joy in trying them out.

Edit: Oh my god I can't believe I forgot about Deadly Premonition. Not quite a detective puzzle game but it's got such a Twin Peaks vibe to it I'm all over it

Last edited:

Medulseur

SUPPERTIME
kiwifarms.net
I am also a big fan of odd Japanese PS2 era games. I am playing this one game atm called Baroque. It's not really a horror game but it does have some horror-ish visuals. The gameplay isn't much to speak of but it's not bad, the main draw being the story/atmosphere. It is also one of the few roguelikes released at the time.

Mnutu

kiwifarms.net

Yeah yeah, my icon and name are literally that one FBI idiot from Heavy Rain but his segments were fun. That's extended to Connor from Detroit. The Sherlock Holmes games by Frogwares suck but I have so much fun with them no matter how obtuse the logic gets. It's argued that they're just visual novels but I love the Ace Attorney games. That fuckin' Murdered: Soul Suspect game was shite but I got to play ghost detective and solve crimes... sorta. So I was in. LA Noire is my JAM.

Yes, even Twin Mirror, one of the not-Life is Strange games by Dontnod was played by me. I love detective shit. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm just retarded enough to find unironic joy in trying them out.
I don’t know why, with the current fascination with rogue likes and the existence of Clue, no one has made a good “randomized” detective game.

XMassAllYearRound

It's probably still christmas somewhere
kiwifarms.net
3D shooters
To be specific tubular 3d shooters. To my knowledge there have only been 4, Gyruss, Tempest 2000, N2O Nitrous Oxide and Tempest 3000. Out of them I think N2O is the most complete one.
I don't understand why they never caught on.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Closed for summer
kiwifarms.net
Corner-the-market type of games. They're probably still made but I haven't looked into it. I really like Transport Tycoon as well but it's not in the exact same genre, there's a lot of building in that one and I'm into getting to the BUY! SELL! quickly.

Patrician is something I played a lot, you start with a merchant ship in europe and buy/sell goods. Oil Imperium and Ports of Call are classics, Aerobiz deviates from the formula but it's worth mentioning.

One game I return to every other year is Capitalism Plus. You build factories, create products and sell it. Or you buy product from someone else and sell them in your department stores. Or both. Then you buy mines/farms/oilwells to create all the components and now you have total vertical integration. Maybe your computers should only be sold in your stores or maybe the competition can stock them as well, hopefully pushing out their own brand, making their stock take a dive and you buy a large chunk of it.

Laying out factories is fun. There's a 3x3 grid that take different units, here's a simple one making crappy beer(quality 22/50).
capitalismplus.jpg
Barley and aluminum can (currently) be bought/stocked faster than one brewery-unit can use it, so to be efficient those two nodes supplies two brewery units. Having that abundance of raw material might not always be true, there could be a shortage of either resource for various reasons or you end up producing more beer than can be sold.

The layouts become more of a puzzle and involves more factory units as you start to make advanced things but it's never Factorio complicated.

Book Thief

Literature Liberator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a fondness for what I describe as "Hardcore Military Vehicle Sims." Games which attempt to replicate the feeling of controlling a death machine to an accurate degree. I like the feeling of piloting incredibly dangerous vehicles I know I'll never be able to use in real life.

One such example that always comes to mind is Jane's Fighters Anthology. The game eschews Top Gun-esque dogfights in favor of a realistic combat model, where you rely on your instruments and fights are over before you've ever had a chance to see the other guy. In addition, the game casts aside gamey abstractions like health, and instead simulates hardware failures of your craft that make it more difficult for you to continue flight, only "killing" your plane in extreme damage situations.

It's a shame they don't really make these kinds of games anymore. I'd love to see a game like this with more modern graphics. I know Ace Combat exists, but those games are more "arcadey" than "simulation," falling squarely into the aforementioned Top Gun-style dogfights where your plane can inexplicably carry a hundred missiles, but only five flares.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
First and foremost, fixed camera survival horror with tank controls.
Especially the PS1 era, but the Dreamcast and PS2 had some of these games as well. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis 2, you know them. Modern takes more often than not make the false assumption that these games were clunky, poorly made, and imprecise. That wasn't really the case for the good ones.

Not really a genre, but weird experimental (usually budget) games from Japan. The PS2 was king of these with The Simple Series. Games like
  • Earth Defence Force (third person shooter where you shoot waves of giant insects and 1950s aliens)
  • Demolition Girl (you have to stop a 50 foot woman in a bikini)
  • Densha de Go! (an arcade train sim)
  • Onechanbara (bikini samurai vs zombies)
  • Tousou Highway (you have 4 hours real time to reach the end of a highway, collecting papers and avoiding police, the sequel is the same game but in the post apocalypse)
and many more. Outside of the simple series there are games like Runabout, Metal Wolf Chaos, and Deadly Premonition. What makes these games great is that even if they're bad, they're unique.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
There's a genre of games that I like to refer to as 'pick-em-ups'. Games where the objective is to pick up a bunch of different objects, like Katamari and Rabbids Go Home. For some reason, collecting shit in these games feels oddly satisfying.

albert the programmer

Computer programmer and Layne Staley fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There’s too many to choose from, so I’ll pick a few ones that I can come back to:

A fighting game where I can use inside and outside props to fill up my meter to gain stones to make my fighter powerful

Any JRPG like the video related that mixes both great gameplay and engaging story to make the role playing elements memorable while I try to figure out how Ness was created

A Wario game that almost looked like a Super Mario rip-off, but it was still good (and fun) enough to be replayable after all these years

Kheapathic

Now Selling: KF Registration Invitations.
kiwifarms.net
Bullet-Hell Shooters
Many people might just look at them and see them as just a more difficult shoot'em-up; but there's usually a little more nuance and some mechanics aside from shoot shit and don't get hit. The Gundemonium series has this where your weak point is actually a specific space on your character and you won't take damage unless that gets hit. But not only is most of your sprite damage free, if you grind bullets, it fills up your magic meter while lets you perform special attacks and use the time slowing mechanic. So while your weak point is actually small and you think "Good, this makes it easier" there are reasons you'd want to get close (but not too close) to enemy bullets.

Another odd thing about them; is you'll sometimes find some really well done and high-quality art for games that are basic and nothing special to look at. You'll also find some amazing music for them as well.

Jerri's Kid

Moist as a snack cake.
kiwifarms.net
I liked oddball arcade games when I was growing up. For instance, I played a lot of cool beat 'em ups like Double Dragon and Knights of the Round, but I was really fond of Tecmo Knight because you played this little guy who rode a giant that could punch off enemies' heads. The game was very bloody and had some strange bosses like the giant gorilla that you defeated by punching its hands bloody.

I liked gun games too, and I remember how goofy Revolution X was and how it was used to promote Aerosmith. It wasn't my favorite game of this type by any means but it was memorable.

Then there was Ataxx, which is basically Othello but you played against bizarre mutants and it had a creepy theme.

I liked Rampart a lot too. It's not exactly weird in terms of its theme, but I don't recall playing an arcade game that was anything like it and I hadn't experienced PC "tower defense" style games yet.

Oh, and I forgot about the glut of fighting games that came out after Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat became popular. Time Killers was a truly awful fighting game, but I still liked it because it was so gory and retarded. The chainsaw dude was the most fun.

Site of Origin

kiwifarms.net

Edit: Oh my god I can't believe I forgot about Deadly Premonition. Not quite a detective puzzle game but it's got such a Twin Peaks vibe to it I'm all over it
Sherlock Holmes: crimes and punishments is a fantastic detective game, one of my favorites. Thought that the conclusions web was really damn cool.

The blade runner adventure game is also kind of detective like, it even randomises things from game to game.

Seven Costanza

kiwifarms.net
Oh man so many.............. A few that come to mind.

dragon.jpg

Atari / 2nd gen action games that aren't arcade ports (or arcade rip-offs), especially if they go deep into 80s swords & sorcery or sci-fi. Imagic was a great developer for this sort of thing.

exile.jpg

Short (3-5 hr) Japanese ARPGs, the type that typically originated on computers like the MSX or PC-88. Ys, Xak, Exile, and more.

princess.png

Classic Japanese adventure games, those menu-based experiences that predate modern visual novels.

vangelis

kiwifarms.net
stylish fighting and games full of effect and style. the last i was play is katana zero