Your most favorite game(s) of all time.

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Dollars2010

Necromancer Corgi Queen
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • Deadly Premonition
  • TES III Morrowind
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Silent Hill
  • Resident Evil
  • Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
  • Pokemon Silver
  • Okami
  • Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
All have a special place in my heart, as well as some other games.

Conrix

"KIWIFAGS REEEEEEE"
kiwifarms.net
  • Fallout 3 and NV
  • Doom, Doom II, Final Doom
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Saints Row IV recently kicked Grand Theft Auto San Andreas out of its spot.
  • Pokemon Silver ; Y is looking like a nice runner up for the Pokemon series
  • System Shock 2
  • Deus Ex
Sonic the Hedgehog (1,2,3,& Knuckles), because it was my first game series and I enjoy it every now and then.
Kingdom Hearts, because the first game was damn fun to level to 100 in and after playing pretty much the rest of the series, I have hope for its future.
The Legend of Zelda (yes the first one), it feels more like an adventure than the rest of the franchise

Last edited:

Da Pickle Monsta

Should Have Been Bullied
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow--in my mind, it marks the best of the Metroidvania games. It's not too big, not too small, and has an incredible replay value. I will still tear through AoS at least once every few years, always getting 100% completion.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion--this was my introduction to TES. I picked up the 360 version when I was between relationships and bored and it filled many a drunken Friday night. I couldn't believe the depth of the game when I first played it, and it remains a favorite to this day.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask--Majora's Mask really came out at the perfect time for me. I was 17 when it came out, and I feel that I was young enough to remember the excitement of Ocarina of Time but old enough to appreciate the dark nuances that Majora's Mask brought to the N64. To this day, I still prefer Majora's Mask over its predecessor--its darker and harder, but still has that Zelda charm.

Saint's Row II--I remember seeing this game hit the shelves and not thinking too much of it. I'd written it off as a a poor man's GTA clone, much in the vein of True Crime--i.e., games that tried too hard. But then I found a thread on Something Awful about it, and it described the hidden Easter bunny island, and the hidden mall, and the secret weapons, and I took my ass down to the store and bought it right away. I wasn't disappointed.
Spec Ops: The Line--this is pretty much the video game equivalent of a Stanley Kubrick film. I first picked it up because I had heard that it was a well-done game, and while I did enjoy the opening scene, I felt it very . . . samey. But I kept at it until I got to the white phosphorous scene, and realized that I was playing something truly special. And the ending? Wow.

Startropics--I have so many fond memories of this game. I received it as a gift when I was about twelve or so--the Kaybee Toys was running a clearance sale on NES titles my grandmother got it for me as a cheap stocking stuffer--but it filled so many late nights in middle school. Granted, I had to use my Game Genie to get any appreciable distance, but I was blown away by the story.

TheProdigalStunna

I'm not giving back the documents
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm real tired here so I won't go into much detail.

Dragon Quest VIII. Everything a JRPG should be. Maybe a perfect game. Best soundtrack ever.
Metal Gear Solid 2. Hard to pick a favorite in this series, but this one might be the best because of the story. And Raiden is prete sik too.
Super Mario World. 'Nuff fucking said.
Earthbound. I'm no starmen.net sperg but I'd be lying if I said I don't love this game with all my heart.
Dark Souls. Yeah, it lives up to the hype.

Arctic

Trold, vær dig selv-nok!
kiwifarms.net
To be honest I haven't played too many games in my lifetime, but some great ones that I've put hundreds of hours into are Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, GTA San Andreas, and Minecraft.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sure, I got some time to kill.

Fallout 3/ New Vegas - Fallout 3 is special to me because I got it right before I was laid off of work, and it was also my first time delving into a Bethesda-styled RPG. When I got it, I was making all of the rookie mistakes and in some ways it was paralleling how I was feeling at the time, trying to find work all day, coming home, rationing out whatever food I had, and just spending the night playing vidya, hoping to get a phone call. I recall one part in particular I was a level 4 nothing, hiding in a broom closet, halfway dead, with just a hockey mask and my jumpsuit for protection, and a nearly dead .308 rifle, BB gun, two land mines for weapons. On the other side of the door were three super mutants looking for me. Basically, I was fucked. I didn't understand at the time the idea of scavaging, how to repair items, anything. But somehow, through trial and error, I learned how to survive that challenge and it gave me a little lesson of life about never giving up and always persevere, etc. etc. As for Vegas, I don't have any uplifiting stories behind that one, but I always felt it was much more satisfying game compared to the first and felt a lot more realized and varied.

Deadly Premonition
- Deadly Premonition was a game I wanted to try out out of sheer curiosity. I wasn't expecting that much from it, and yeah, it's a very oddly put together game and nothing works quite as well as it probably should mechanically or graphically. However the storyline is just so bizarre that you feel inclined to keep playing. Further, as cornball as it sounds, this game has heart. It's not a super-slick AAA game with extra DLC and an advertising campaign with Linkin Park and Doritos, but instead its a game that knows what it is and it doesn't trying to hide away its failings.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Although Ocarina of Time was much more grandiose, Majora's Mask made me feel incredibly invested in nearly all of the NPCs, and Wind Waker was a grand adventure, none of them made so so emotional as the ending of Link's Awakening. It was a perfect "Hooray, I succeeded at winning the game" moment combined with a "Omigawrd what the fuck did I dooooo?!" moment. In the end, you do save the day, but at what cost? And in the end, did anything even matter? Deep thoughts for a monochrome Game Boy game.

Saint's Row 2 / Saint's Row the Third - I really had no interest in this series until my brother convinced me to rent it while he was in town with the folks. After trying it out, I was pretty much hooked. While I think I liked the Third more mechanically and graphically, Saint's Row 2 is still the bar as far as I'm concerned when it come to character customizations and as fun as it is to be fighting luchadores and running up the sides of buildings, you felt more of a sense of accomplishment in Saint's Row 2 and is pretty much the only game in the entire series that felt like you were actually running a gang.

Earth Defense Force 2017/ EDF 2025
- This games are the best kind of stupid dumb fun. You are essentially thrust into a one-man war with the alien onslaught of giant bugs, flying saucers, and alien robots. Essentially imagine every single trope from 1960s sci-fi giant monster movies and there you go. These games are fantastic because despite a very dumb exterior there is enough strategy in these games to make things interesting, coupled with the constant sense of dumb macho bravado that makes this a blast to play with a buddy.

Okay, time killed. Back to work I go.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I guess I'll list some of my other favorite games since this thread has been brought back.

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy IX

Metal Gear Solid 3

ICO

Team Fortress 2

Katawa Shoujo

Valkyria Chronicles

The SMT games, the ones I played each did something really well. Although if I had to choose overall, it would probably be Nocturne. The Persona games can be a bit of a grind at points, DDS had interesting ideas, but I feel they could have been fleshed out more, and Strange Journey was ridiculously brutal at certain points.

Nocturne I feel is the best overal package. And so far, the only main line SMT game with a 3D battle system.

Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas

Last edited:

LordDarkrai

I'm really feeling it!
kiwifarms.net
Here's some of my other favorites.

Nier:
Goddamn, this game is one hell of a experience. The story is one of the best I ever seen. I don't want to reveal too much, but the feels man. If you don't mind a more story based game, get it ASAP. Also the music is wonderful.

Zelda: Majora's Mask:
This is my favorite out of the Zelda games. I really that the darker aspects in the plot feels natural when stuff happens, it has impact. Other the story, everything else is pretty darn solid.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter: I mentioned this game too many times, but its really good. Its biggest strengths has to be the story, characters, and the world. Its one of the games you can tell that its has a soul to it. You can tell that the people at Cyberconnect2 worked their ass off. The gameplay needs some work, like adding more elements of the grab and throw system and the difficulty. Still it works and one thing to keep in mind that the game is meant to be easy. Again like Nier, get this ASAP.

Devil Survivor Overclocked:
I love the setting. Being trapped in Tokyo in a lock-down full of demons with the choice of lifting it affecting the world. It helps that I like the cast on the most part. That and the gameplay making this my favorite SRPG so far.

Zim

Facebook District Manager
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let's see.

No. 1 - Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Ultimate Doom etc. - These games were THE reason I started gaming. Before that I'd played around with some games but Doom was the first game that I played that made me realize that a game could have great gameplay and atmosphere. If I could only play one game the rest of my life it would be Doom. Everything was amazing and still is. People still mod this game (brutal doom) and I still play it at least a little nearly every year. It's the only game I've bought multiple times and kept the old cardboard box from.

No. 2 - The Metroid series - Metroid is my 2nd favorite of all time. I got Metroid 2 for Game Boy when I was little and I was hooked. I've played all of them except for Prime 3 and Other M and actually bought a Game Cube over a PS2 just because it came with Metroid Prime. Everything just works and is fun and challenging.

No. 3 - Call of Duty: United Offensive - This was the game that defined online shooters for me. It was amazing. You could aim down the gun sights (CoD 1 was the first game I remember doing that), drive tanks, drive jeeps, and fight with friends in an awesome WW2 setting. My friend and I played this game to death at one time people would leave the server if we got on. We were good and I've never hit that level since. Now I can't stand this game and never play it. I burned myself out on it. It's a shame. However, it's still one of my favorites of all time.

No. 4 - Amnesia: The Dark Decent - This game redefined horror for me. I kind of like it for the same reasons I like doom. It has loads of atmosphere and people are constantly making stuff for this game. Again, everything just works. If you like horror, turn off the lights, put on some headphones, and let this game take you places. Great sound design, great mechanics, and a great story.

There's others but I feel those 4 were the ones that defined my taste in games and showed me what great games were supposed to be.

Ification

Evil Smile
kiwifarms.net
My favorite game is Final Boss. It's a freeware shoot em up, and a tribute to the whole shoot em up genre. Unfortunately, I cannot put my finger on why this game is my favorite. I think it's the fact, that despite being freeware, it has a ton of effort put into it, with many secrets, quite a few boss battles, and a lot of room for different strategies within it. The best part though is the sheer amount of death and destruction you get to cause in the game, especially when you gain the ability to turn into a robot.

Konstantinos

The Sword of Atismu
kiwifarms.net
Mhm, that's a tough question. If I had to be honest, the only game I'm certain is an all time favorite of mine is Team Fortress 2. It might not be the best game there is (and it definitely isn't) but its one that I've kept coming back to year after year. Its endearing, fun, chaotic and almost sort of timeless, like the original Counter Strike.

Inquisitor_BadAss

Been that bitch. Still that bitch.
kiwifarms.net
Phantasy star online ep 1 & 2. I have yet to complete these games to this day but I just can't stop playing them. While I played FF7 before these it's PSO that will always be my favourite RPG.

Pokemon yellow. My first pokemon game and the fact I could start with pikachu blew my pre teen mind. The first time I played I had to level grind my pikachu and pidegeotto to level 25 to beat Brock.

Golden eye. Simply put best FPS ever made.

Wolf Fetuses

Slut/slutself
kiwifarms.net
I'm really fond of the Sly Cooper games. Played them as a kid, PS3 reboot wasn't as good as I hoped but that's childhood nostalgia I guess, can't live up to it. Shame gross furries kind of ruin it.

Otherwise I like SimCity 4, Saints' Row 2, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and pokemanz.

Abethedemon

Trve and Honest
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, it may be my nostalgia goggles, but Sonic Adventure. It was the first video game I ever played and I remember being captivated by the really well designed worlds and levels. Fuck Big the cat though.

Gaol

I don't give a honk.
kiwifarms.net
So I have alot of friends who are into roleplaying games, you asked most of them what their favorite games are and most of them will go "Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy <Roman Numeral>,Secret Of Mana" however mine was a bit weird. I wanted to buy Kirby All-Stars back when Kaybee Toys was still open, I saved up enough to buy it but found out it was out of stock, but then I saw a game in the back which had a peculiar name. "Breath Of Fire" the artwork looked awesome
images_1.jpg
of course I had never played a RPG before so I was lost as fuck, thankfully this game was pretty linear for RPG's of it's time so it was easy. I ended up playing BOF2/3/4 (I don't consider 5 a BOF game yeah i'm a purist :x] however sadly Squaresoft killed the series, opting to make 6 a cellphone game and a bad one at that.

AnOminous

Only the rarest and smuggest of Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All time favorite: nethack

FPS: Quake Team Fortress, as distinguished from when it became a separate thing

More recently, mostly Source games, like a Garry's Mod variant called Zombie Survival. But I don't in general play many multiplayer games any more

Current: FTL, though it's the kind of game I might lose interest in eventually

Also some weird arcade games like Toobin, Marble Madness, and T-Mek, a vehicle combat game from Atari which had a pretty cool cockpit cabinet, one of those classic games that you actually sat in

Bogs

Hold on tight to your dreams
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know about favorites, but the games I can always pick up and replay are:

Red Alert 2: Great fast paced RTS from back in the day. The cut-scenes alone would make the game

AOE II: Probably the finest RTS ever.

SWAT 4: I could write pages upon pages about the amount of frustration this game has caused me, but it is so easy to play I can forgive it

Harvest Moon: I don't know why I like this game so much, but every few months I go back and replay it

Tombi/Tomba: Hands down my favorite platformer.

Ape Escape: Hands down my second favorite platformer. The only game I actually use analogue sticks for.

Final Fantasy VIII: In the words of Squall, "......."

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know I'm going to get shit for this but here I go.

Fallout NewVegas
I love the western post apocalyptic setting, the pardoy of 50's culture and the grey and grey morality of the series.
not to mention the fact that it reminds me of when I went on a few roadtrips through the desert when I was a kid, drinking root beer while my mother or grandma would play old 50's songs on the road.

Quake
This game helped me kill time in High School. I don't know why but I was sucked into the cyber gothic artstyle. also the fast paced combat is a good stress reliever.

Sims 3
I know I'll get shat on for this, but I love sims 3. yes it has it's flaws like having to pirate get all those shitty expansion pack and requiring a war machine just to play it fluently (don't get me started on mods). but I like Sims 3 over 2 since it lets me edit the entire neighborhood and lets me recreate shitty fantasy worlds or CWCville.

Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
Sailing is comfy as fuck.

Olhelm

The Hermit of KiwiFarms
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Woo.
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 1&2
  • Legaia 2: Dual Saga
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time