YouTube is ending its community captions feature and deaf creators aren’t happy about it - Fuck the deaf

MilkMage

Oh what a Sperg I am. Oh what a Sperg I am.
kiwifarms.net
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/31/...y-captions-deaf-creators-accessibility-google
(archive)
YouTube plans to discontinue its community captions feature, which allowed viewers to add subtitles to videos, because it was “rarely used and had problems with spam/abuse,” the company announced. It says it’s removing the captions and will “focus on other creator tools.” The feature will be removed as of September 28th. “You can still use your own captions, automatic captions and third-party tools and services,” YouTube said in an update on its help page.

---

So YouTube's being shitty again, how surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liber Pater

#FreeUnzReview
kiwifarms.net
If this applies to user-generated translation subtitles as well, then that's going to fuck a lot of people over and make my life a lot more difficult. No more free foreign-language subbing for content creators with a multilingual audience or content consumers watching foreign-language content.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
YouTube plans to discontinue its community captions feature, which allowed viewers to add subtitles to videos, because it was “rarely used and had problems with spam/abuse,” the company announced.
Got any evidence for those claims you made, or is this another one of those "listen and believe" scenarios because you're lying through your teeth?

It says it’s removing the captions and will “focus on other creator tools.”
Such as? Again, these fuckers are being vague

But deaf and hard-of-hearing creators say removing the community captions feature will stifle accessibility, and they want to see the company try to fix the issues with volunteer-created captions, rather than doing away with them entirely.
You'd think, what with YouTube being one of those progressive companies that force "incusivity", that this would be concern #1. But nope, deaf people get fuck'd.

YouTube said in an email to The Verge on Friday it would provide creators who have used the community contribution feature on at least three videos in the past 60 days a free six-month subscription to subtitling service Amara.
LOL OH WOW, what a deal! "yea so like I know we are taking the thing you use away, but here's a free subscription to do the thing you were easily doing on our platform". By the way, this is amara just in case you were wondering.

A petition calling on Google to reverse the decision has garnered more than 49,000 signatures as of Friday morning.
And as everyone damn well knows, petitions only do two things: Jack Shit and Fuck All.

Canned Bread

Wow, they have it!
kiwifarms.net
I think they're just hiding behind the "it's being abused!!" excuse and the real reason is that it's resource-intensive and doesn't gain them much on the backend.
That's exactly what is going on. Content Creators became required to manually approve any submitted captions back in August (as mentioned in the article), so it's basically impossible to abuse the feature in any actual way.

NeilBreenLover69

kiwifarms.net
What positive effect could doing this possibly have on anything? Does Google really want to sink Youtube this badly? Pushing and pushing, trying to see how far they can go taking away people's options and choices and watching them cry out en masse to get those choices back, knowing they'll never act on their threats to leave because you're the only viable video hosting platform, is Google doing this just for fun?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Christ on a crutch

Cast Iron Pan

Firstborn son of Artavius Quarterman
kiwifarms.net
Jewtube hates all things that don't make them moneys
Google has a habit of stripping their products down until they become annoying to use. Youtube's time is limited. In 5 years all that will be left is a crappy Netflix imitator. Or they'll make a competing product, Youflix, dump tons of resources into it, hundreds of millions of dollars, then dump it after 4 years, returning to Youtube and finding it a diminished ghost town. Either way, let's drink to Youtube's demise!

beautiful person

kiwifarms.net
because it was “rarely used
I wonder what constitutes as 'rare' to these people because this statement comes off as a complete lie. It's not just used by the hard of hearing (though figures the 'woke' elite would throw disabled people under the bus first), but also by people who want to watch foreign-language videos and creators who want to focus on those groups.

Tags
None