Youtube policy changes regarding children's content -

TheKatIsNowGone

Praise the Sun!
kiwifarms.net
So Youtube got caught with it's hand in some cookie jars by the FTC, specifically for monitoring minors without the parent's consent. Because of this they're making changes to how children's content is treated on the website. Now I know you're asking yourself "But TheKatIsNowGone, Phil isn't a children's entertainer, he doesn't make videos for kids, his audience are all mature adults like him." Let's ignore Phil's full on clown-mode moments for a second and instead focus on the games he plays. Recent playthroughs include the following:
  • Plants vs Zombies
  • Mario and Sonic at the Olympics
  • Minecraft
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
I could continue, but suffice to say Phil plays a lot of children's games. Now part of this new system is that you can either flag yourself as children's content but youtube will also be searching for channels that have children's content using "machine learning" (-terminator theme plays in the background-). What are the criteria for Skynet to flag your video as being for children? Youtube gave us a handy list of the things it's looking for:
  • Children or children’s characters.
  • Popular children’s programming or animated characters.
  • Play-acting, or stories using children’s toys.
  • Child protagonists engaging in common natural play patterns such as play-acting and/or imaginative play.
  • Popular children’s songs, stories or poems.
Now, how will this affect channels that get labeled as children's channels? Well they're going to stop serving up personalized ads on those videos. Apparently Youtube tested this by having creators go to creator studio and disable personalized ads and those creators saw a loss of revenue around 60% to 90%. You reading this Phil? It's reemergency time again buddy.

youtube changes.png

crocodilian

K. K. K. Rool
kiwifarms.net
Is there any concrete evidence that revenue would drop 60% - 90% due to a lack of personalized ads? There will still be ads, they just won't be doled out based on personal data (which isn't to say Youtube will stop scraping for it, considering how much money it makes and how lucrative children are.)

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

TheKatIsNowGone

Praise the Sun!
kiwifarms.net
Is there any concrete evidence that revenue would drop 60% - 90% due to a lack of personalized ads? There will still be ads, they just won't be doled out based on personal data (which isn't to say Youtube will stop scraping for it, considering how much money it makes and how lucrative children are.)
Here is my source for the 60%-90% number:
youtube changes effects.png

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
This could be a catch 22 for phil. If he goes the route of "I'm not a children's entertainer or clown", his child audience wont be able to watch his YouTube videos and his views will suffer. If he embraces his inner clown, he'll get blasted for denying such for years and his YouTube ad revenue will die (but he doesnt care about that, right?).

Best case scenario, we get machinima 2.0 where he bitches and whines about suddenly getting fuck all in ad revenue and how YouTube is bullying him, meanwhile knowing it's because his shit is dying and hes being punished for his double dipping and shit content.

Good days ahead?

Spooky Bones

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
  • Children or children’s characters.
  • Popular children’s programming or animated characters.
  • Play-acting, or stories using children’s toys.
  • Child protagonists engaging in common natural play patterns such as play-acting and/or imaginative play.
  • Popular children’s songs, stories or poems
So, furries, paedos and Disney/Sonic/MLP autists.

The fuck kind of parent plops their kid down in front of youtube?

TheKatIsNowGone

Praise the Sun!
kiwifarms.net
This could be a catch 22 for phil. If he goes the route of "I'm not a children's entertainer or clown", his child audience wont be able to watch his YouTube videos and his views will suffer. If he embraces his inner clown, he'll get blasted for denying such for years and his YouTube ad revenue will die (but he doesnt care about that, right?).

Best case scenario, we get machinima 2.0 where he bitches and whines about suddenly getting fuck all in ad revenue and how YouTube is bullying him, meanwhile knowing it's because his shit is dying and hes being punished for his double dipping and shit content.

Good days ahead?
It's a definite catch 22 because if he continues to play children's games he will be flagged 100% regardless of how much he curses and makes AVGN-rip-off jokes, and if he stops playing children's games he will stop drawing in the naive children and exceptional individuals who gravitate to that sort of content and he needs those people because they're the only people who could even begin to believe Phil's malformed web of lies.

Is it "The Death of DarkSydePhil™"? No, but it is another nail in the coffin and perhaps a big cutoff to his last remaining stream of potential fans.

Salubrious

Feelin' Healthy
kiwifarms.net
Is it "The Death of DarkSydePhil™"? No, but it is another nail in the coffin and perhaps a big cutoff to his last remaining stream of potential fans.
I disagree with this simply because I think his Youtube channel is dead right now.

I was trying to do some math as to how much money he made on the GTA videos and why he was so insistent on muting all the music, and he makes something like $1-$1.25 per video. He could have just had a $60 incentive to keep the music on and came out ahead.

I think even ad revenue on his archive videos is something like 10% maybe of his current income.

TheKatIsNowGone

Praise the Sun!
kiwifarms.net
I disagree with this simply because I think his Youtube channel is dead right now.

I was trying to do some math as to how much money he made on the GTA videos and why he was so insistent on muting all the music, and he makes something like $1-$1.25 per video. He could have just had a $60 incentive to keep the music on and came out ahead.

I think even ad revenue on his archive videos is something like 10% maybe of his current income.
You make a great point, it is "just an archive" to him that he mostly keeps going for ego. My thought process is this will hurt his recruitment efforts more than anything, though maybe he'll just take the hit to the already crappy revenue he's getting, won't care, and will just keep playing kids games.

• Feels
Reactions: The Last Stand

tzgnilki

kiwifarms.net

even though his channel is dead, it's still bringing in around $800 a month

it's like losing 160subs if his ads get flagged for children

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Is there any concrete evidence that revenue would drop 60% - 90% due to a lack of personalized ads? There will still be ads, they just won't be doled out based on personal data (which isn't to say Youtube will stop scraping for it
COPPA specifically says it's illegal to knowingly collect data on people under 13. That's exactly what they got nailed for.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Didn't he admit at one point that his Youtube metrics show his audience as being largely under 18? I remember distinctly there was one infamous rant where he complained about Youtube serving up ads for home insurance and farm tractors to his under-18 audience, who would be unlikely to engage with those mature adult ads and thus discourage the insurance companies and tractor companies from buying adspace on his videos.

Immortal Technique

©™
kiwifarms.net
I wanted to see if he was just being a scum bag and bombarding his vids with ads to off-set for lower views....is his channel currently completely demonetized? I turned off my ad blocker and clicked randomly throughout his first page of vids, while clicking on his pre streams--zero ads on all vids. Not even one on his pre streams and I thought he use to have 8 ads on those things in the past. Even did the same to 9 year old videos with the same results.

Anyone else getting the same thing?

Nigel of Ukip

Leader of the EU Meme Black Market
kiwifarms.net
I wanted to see if he was just being a scum bag and bombarding his vids with ads to off-set for lower views....is his channel currently completely demonetized? I turned off my ad blocker and clicked randomly throughout his first page of vids, while clicking on his pre streams--zero ads on all vids. Not even one on his pre streams and I thought he use to have 8 ads on those things in the past. Even did the same to 9 year old videos with the same results.

Ads on random videos.

20191109_052117.jpg

20191109_052142.jpg

tzgnilki

kiwifarms.net

i'm getting ads

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Immortal Technique

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I got them on the phone every time but didn't get them on the desktop the handful of times I tried.

• Informative
Reactions: Haunter
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino