Business YouTube says it has ‘no obligation’ to host anyone’s video - Other changes affect children’s content

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

Is this good?

• Yes, YouTube must think of the children/advertisers/etc.

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • No, this WILL be used against YouTubers who go "against the grain", as they say

Votes: 94 24.5%
  • Maybe/I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Doesn't matter, something something private companies

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Go to BitChute/Dailymotion/[insert alternative video upload site here]

Votes: 39 10.2%
  • This is going to cause some EPIC shitstorms when YouTube fucks it up (and it will)

Votes: 219 57.2%

• Total voters

Iwasamwillbe

Pagan Syncretistic Sun God
kiwifarms.net

YouTube is rolling out updated terms of service on December 10th, and a new line acts as a reminder that the company doesn’t have to keep any video up that it doesn’t want to.

“YouTube is under no obligation to host or serve content,” the new terms of service policy reads.

It’s another way of saying that just because YouTube is a relatively open platform, it doesn’t mean that the company is required to keep videos up.

YouTube has faced criticism from all sides over its video removal process. Some critics argue that YouTube could do more to take down videos that butt up against the company’s rules but don’t outright violate them; others argue that YouTube ought to be a fully open platform and shouldn’t control what remains up and what doesn’t. Executives have long defended the platform as a champion of free speech, but have started to clamp down on the type of videos allowed to circulate.

Companies update their terms of service all the time — this is YouTube’s third change just in 2019. These latest updates seemingly coincide with upcoming changes YouTube will make in accordance with new Federal Trade Commission guidelines for YouTube, although a YouTube rep denies these changes were made because of the FTC ruling.

“YOUTUBE IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO HOST OR SERVE CONTENT”
Specifically, many of the updates center around who’s using the platform and protection for children. In September, the Federal Trade Commission issued a $170 million fine against Google for alleged violations of the children’s online privacy protection act (COPPA). YouTube also agreed to make changes to further protect children’s privacy and comply with the law.

The terms of service now come with an updated section on parental responsibility when children use the platform, and have more clearly stated the age requirements per country for using YouTube. This also includes a notice stating “if you are a minor in your country, you must always have your parent or guardian’s permission before using the service.”

YouTube said the terms of service are being changed “in order to make them easier to read and to ensure they’re up to date,” a spokesperson told The Verge.

We’re not changing the way our products work, how we collect or process data, or any of your settings,” the spokesperson added.

“WE’RE NOT CHANGING THE WAY OUR PRODUCTS WORK, HOW WE COLLECT OR PROCESS DATA, OR ANY OF YOUR SETTINGS”
Other changes just seem to give YouTube more power. One of the most controversial clauses that creators have tweeted about since YouTube began alerting people to the upcoming changes has to do with termination. Various YouTubers have tweeted out a segment from the terms of service that states “YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the service if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the service to you is no longer commercially viable.” Some creators have read this as saying that YouTube can simply terminate channels and accounts if they’re not earning revenue.

A version of that line has been in YouTube’s terms of service since early 2018, however. This update just modifies the wording to give YouTube more leeway to make the determination. It now says that YouTube has the “sole discretion” to terminate an account, whereas before it said that YouTube must “reasonably believe” it should do so. A YouTube spokesperson told The Verge that the company is “also not changing how we work with creators, nor their rights over their works, or their right to monetize.”

Update (November 11th, 10:05am ET): The story has been updated to include additional comment from YouTube about monetization concerns from creators.

MediocreMilt

There is always time to talk about our feelings.
kiwifarms.net
I mean the word "You" in their name was already pretty much advertising fluff, but this just makes it official.

Claiming that they have no obligations in their TOS doesn't necessarily make it so depending on jurisdiction. But good luck to whoever actually tries to sue them.

MediocreMilt

There is always time to talk about our feelings.
kiwifarms.net
You know, it's been about a year since Tumblr decided to change its terms too and see how that worked for them. Youtube is bigger than them, but we might see a different kind of decline...
Realistically it means that the "Youtube competitors" everyone craves wouldn't actually be in competition with Youtube, because Youtube is actually in competition with Netflix etc, while offering even stupider bullshit to watch.

LazyLizard

It's not gay if you wear a condom
kiwifarms.net
it's honestly kind of amazing seeing the entire lifespan of something, i've seen youtube go from a site to broadcast yourself, to put up videos for fun, where you had the freedom to be creative and be honest to this creepy soulless corporate site that promotes the most mundane bland safe things and erases any personality and free thought.

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
it's honestly kind of amazing seeing the entire lifespan of something, i've seen youtube go from a site to broadcast yourself, to put up videos for fun, where you had the freedom to be creative and be honest to this creepy soulless corporate site that promotes the most mundane bland safe things and erases any personality and free thought.
That's not true. Matt Jarbo's career is in the shitter.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, if the broke-ass independent creators that make "problematic" content and have no taste for corporate cash, inasmuch as they won't sanitize themselves for clean ad space, won't leave the platform to the big media firms on their own, no matter how hostile they make the TOS, YT has no choice but to kick them off completely.

Last edited:

Otis Boi

plushy Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Between this and the changes to children centered content I see a massive shift in how youtube markets it self. I wouldn't be surprised if tries to make its self more into an old media company. They have been very adversarial to content creators for a while no matter what they create. A large part of it has to do with the algorithm and bots that is such an unwieldy beast that just seems to act very arbitrarily. Also manual reviews tend to be an absolute joke

How long until youtube is just another streaming service like Netflix or any of the 1000 that are out there now.

Harnessed Carcass

"it's better to be a fascist than a faggot"
kiwifarms.net
It's the first day of the end of an era if youtube is going from "nah we totally aren't gonna fuck your videos into the grave" into "We miiiiight wanna shit on your content, but we don't know when just yet." I can't imagine it being fixable if they're blatantly stating 'fuck you' to the minority youtube uploader with some sharp corners.

It's OURtube now.
Youtube, OURtube, JEWTube for everyone!

Tour of Italy

Order your favorite Italian combinations online.
kiwifarms.net
They are so allergic to the idea that they should have a clear set of rules to what can be hosted that they basically had to come out and say “fuck you the rules are whatever we say”.

This is a dick swinging move to change the conversation; they’re essentially adopting the “private company” meme as official policy and in the short term it’s going to
work.

In the long term though I think they’re going to implode.

Nice moves, YT! Get ready to make Bitchute your main media site soon.
I’d be more optimistic about this if Apple and Googld didn’t conveniently have the last word on what video players end up on their App Stores.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Between this and the changes to children centered content I see a massive shift in how youtube markets it self. I wouldn't be surprised if tries to make its self more into an old media company. They have been very adversarial to content creators for a while no matter what they create. A large part of it has to do with the algorithm and bots that is such an unwieldy beast that just seems to act very arbitrarily. Also manual reviews tend to be an absolute joke

How long until youtube is just another streaming service like Netflix or any of the 1000 that are out there now.
They still have manual reviews? I always assumed it was their shitty AI under a different name.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino